What's new

FPS The adventure of fixing the 'spinning bug'

Jiggyyo

This will be a help post, might be quite long. But I wanted to keep it decently detailed of what I’ve tried and what worked for me. It is not 100% certain that this will fix it for you, but this usually seems to be the issue.

So, I decided to take a little break from the BF4 rounds. Study the sound of my Astros a little and getting some windows updates (so that it doesn’t randomly restart the computer…). Everything went jolly good, until I decided to go back to BF4. I joined up a server, as usual. But I did not expect for the gates of hell to open when I pressed the “deploy” button. These were the symptoms;
  1. Spinning uncontrollably.
  2. Not being able to aim left or right, and when I was able to aim, I started spinning around.
This is a very weird experience I must tell you and it really blows you mind away when/if it happens to you. You don’t quite know where to start the troubleshooting. This was the issue I had; I didn’t know at all where to start the search. But I started off as every other gamer, I Googled it.

I found some results to the issue; some were even dating back to BF3! And they claimed it was an issue with joypads/controllers being connected to the system, or the bindings for controller. They recommended re-plugging the USB connectors, because it could be a glitch.

I tried reconnecting all the USB devices, but to no success. I tried removing the key bindings for controllers. I tried rebooting my system and deleting the stuff I installed. Nothing. Some said this issue was caused by the fn-key on laptops, but I don’t have a laptop. So I was back at the start again, and I had achieved nothing in my search.

I had to think deeply what I had done, because the game worked just some time ago. What else could cause this? It has to be some input being an asshat. The final thing I could think of, that I had done. I had changed the settings within the sticky keys section in windows.

I took a quick Google search about it, and found a post on battlelog about the same bug in BF3. This guy had fixed the spinny bug by disabling sticky keys, in the windows settings. This is quite fascinating if you ask me, that something like sticky keys can cause so much trouble! I tried it, and it worked of course. I don’t really know why this is an issue, or how it works, but it’s there. And I decided to document it, in case it happens to anyone else.

For those who don’t know how to find sticky keys options, it’s in this location:
W7: Control Panel -> Ease of Access Center -> Make the keyboard easier to use. [Looks like this]
W8: Control Panel -> Ease of Access Center -> Set up Sticky Keys. [Looks like this]

Since I have a Swedish version of Windows 7, I hope I got those directions right for English users. That’s why I also added the images; maybe it makes it a bit easier to understand.

I really hope this helps if you’re having this issue, or that it alerts you that this is an issue right now. That way you can prevent it from happening to you, and you don’t have to experiment like I did. Here's a video I captured of the terrifying situation.

Thank you for your time, and may you have much fun in Battlefield 4. Or with yourself, I don’t really care that much, as long as you have fun.

Microsoft Word 2010 helped me correct this document, and this message is not brought to you by; Microsoft.

oh geez. That sucks. Just the little bit of the video was almost enough to make me motion sick. I hope that doesn't happen to you again, thankfully that hasn't happened to me.

Yea, it did suck really hard. It hasnt happend to me again yet, and if it does. I will resume my investigation, and update the post with my new findings.

Thank You!
I have fixed this problem thanks to your help!
Now I can play Battlefield3/4 peacefully without any spinning nonsense!
/bananajump

Top Bottom