What's new

The Grind - Wildstar I am Dissapoint

This game makes me feel like I suffer from a really terrible case of bi-polar disorder. When I first started I thought it was terribly disappointed. It's just WoW in space, with color by numbers attacks. Then I started really delving into the game and I realized it was a little different than that and was actually a lot of fun. Then I got stuck. It's fucking Warcrarft again, why? What happened to the interesting parts? Why is every fucking enemy in every fucking zone the same? I'm sick of fighting stylized pumas and giant scorpions. I thought Nexus was a thriving planet of diverse fauna/natives? So far I've only seen like 10 - 15 creatures on the planet.

And that's fucking bullshit. You can hide the grind by slapping new shiny shit all over it. I really enjoy the monster design for the most part (fuck skrabs, stop with the giant scorpions) and I would appreciate a wider array of them. Maybe there's more, but as of 32 there isn't and that's sad.

If I'm going to have to grind through crap, at least make it fun too look at. Zone design suffers from this as well, in my opinion. It's just not that interesting. I haven't come across any interesting landmarks or anything of the sort and I've completely explored each map I've been in to cull some of the leveling drag.

TL;DR, I don't know what I expected but it was for sure different than what I got.

P.S. Fuck farside and it's monochromatic color palette. I'm an art student, this makes me sad.

I am referring to the basal ganglia, which includes probably the most profound component of the reward system, the Ventral Tegmented Area, along with a couple other fundamental structures for for mediating the reward system's effect on action, and controlling eye movement. The basal ganglia is present in all vertebrates, and is the foundation upon which the limbic system and neocortex were built.

5ULq2I1.jpg

5ULq2I1.jpg

My workplace in a nutshell.

For me there is no sandbox game that I would like to play. The reason for this is simple. I hate PvP. I really hate it. If you have battlegrounds where it is PvP, and everywhere else you cannot battle thats fine with me, but as far as I am aware off, there is not a single sandbox game where this is given (not counting games where the person who shoots you gets killed by guards after they attack you).

This game makes me feel like I suffer from a really terrible case of bi-polar disorder. When I first started I thought it was terribly disappointed. It's just WoW in space, with color by numbers attacks. Then I started really delving into the game and I realized it was a little different than that and was actually a lot of fun. Then I got stuck. It's fucking Warcrarft again, why? What happened to the interesting parts? Why is every fucking enemy in every fucking zone the same? I'm sick of fighting stylized pumas and giant scorpions. I thought Nexus was a thriving planet of diverse fauna/natives? So far I've only seen like 10 - 15 creatures on the planet.

And that's fucking bullshit. You can hide the grind by slapping new shiny shit all over it. I really enjoy the monster design for the most part (fuck skrabs, stop with the giant scorpions) and I would appreciate a wider array of them. Maybe there's more, but as of 32 there isn't and that's sad.

If I'm going to have to grind through crap, at least make it fun too look at. Zone design suffers from this as well, in my opinion. It's just not that interesting. I haven't come across any interesting landmarks or anything of the sort and I've completely explored each map I've been in to cull some of the leveling drag.

TL;DR, I don't know what I expected but it was for sure different than what I got.

P.S. Fuck farside and it's monochromatic color palette. I'm an art student, this makes me sad.

Yeah the zones to me have been lacking serious memorability. I never know which way is up or down and I feel like the "hubs" are just weird electrical fences scattered haphazardly everywhere making you never feel like you are HOME or on the Faction of choice.

My workplace in a nutshell.

For me there is no sandbox game that I would like to play. The reason for this is simple. I hate PvP. I really hate it. If you have battlegrounds where it is PvP, and everywhere else you cannot battle thats fine with me, but as far as I am aware off, there is not a single sandbox game where this is given (not counting games where the person who shoots you gets killed by guards after they attack you).

Ultima Online had an entire facet dedicated to the non PvP people. It ruined the game :)

Risk and Reward. Even in a bloody game like UO, you don't always die and get attacked. The idea of "PvP" everywhere so I can't play is just a farce, the idea of working with a team to overcome the PvP everywhere, that is Massive Multiplayer :)

sweetloaf sadly, farside is a lot of fun compared to wilderun. You'll see. If Im 50 by the time you get there I'll pay it forward.

the idea of working with a team to overcome the PvP everywhere, that is Massive Multiplayer
For me massive Multiplayer is working in a group vs a raidboss. If I want PvP I will play a PvP-centered game like Battlefield/LoL

For me massive Multiplayer is working in a group vs a raidboss. If I want PvP I will play a PvP-centered game like Battlefield/LoL

I wasn't pigeon holing PvP to MM of O

I was saying working as a group to overcome obstacles is. So if you need help PvE or PvP same shit different color.

I wasn't pigeon holing PvP to MM of O

I was saying working as a group to overcome obstacles is. So if you need help PvE or PvP same shit different color.

Except that you know what to expect in PvE compared to PvP.
In PvE you know what skills your enemies are going to use and can gear up and prepare yourself accordingly. That gearing and planning part and seeing your plan is going well is what is the biggest fun for me.
In PvP you can get a good match, but most of the time it is unequal amount of players fighting against each other. You can prepare yourself by knowing all the attacks of all the classes and common rotations, but that was never fun for me.

Except that you know what to expect in PvE compared to PvP.
In PvE you know what skills your enemies are going to use and can gear up and prepare yourself accordingly. That gearing and planning part and seeing your plan is going well is what is the biggest fun for me.
In PvP you can get a good match, but most of the time it is unequal amount of players fighting against each other. You can prepare yourself by knowing all the attacks of all the classes and common rotations, but that was never fun for me.

There are games that allow you to do both.

There are games that allow you to do both.

Yes you are right, on a PvE server you are never forced to do PvP and the PvP player can go to battlegrounds to do PvP. But not in a sandbox game. If you are not interested in PvP whatsoever you are forced to do it, or just let yourself get killed.

Oo a wild Diremongoose appears and agrees :p

Yeah, I'm just sorta too busy with RL stuff (Wedding in Sept, thesis submission in Dec, ALL THE FIELDWORK now) to grind in an unrewarding manner. I game to escape all of the stuff I don't want to have to deal with, but grind is 'investment for future enjoyment', not actual enjoyment.

What brought me to the game was a love of PVP, and quite frankly, it's worse at L50 than while levelling via PVP. The PVP gear grind isn't as bad as PVE, but it sucks that I go into a PVP match and feel underpowered due to lack of gear.

So yeah, I agree. There's good stuff and bad stuff, and I've enjoyed my time in Wildstar so far...but I'm not sure I want to grind all the way to the top. I have a month of Credd to figure it out at least.

Top Bottom