What's new

GW2 The Guild Wars Trilogy Books

Jordo

So i just picked these up last night....Ghosts of Ascalon and Edge of Destiny. I was told to stay away from them because the authors that wrote them got some of the lore wrong and if your a hardcore lore nerd, it will piss you off.

To a point, there is some lore that is wrong, but it is like 1% of the book that is wrong with the other 99% of the lore correct.

but...these books are epic!!!

I am about 30%, according to my kindle, through Ghosts of Ascalon, and they have incorporated reviving a fallen ally, casting spells, and pretty much all the mechanics that make GW2 so fun. You also learn a ton about the Sylvari.

The first book is about getting an artifact for the Charr/Human war.

The second is following the 5 heros of Tyria: Eir, Rytlock, Logan, Zojja, and Caithe as they do battle against an elder dragon.

As i was reading the book, it kind of felt like i was reading an RP of an actual 5 man group doing a dungeon. They even had stuff like wiping, i thought that was a nice tribute to the fans.

Anyways, these books are awesome. If you want to know more about the 250 years between GW and GW2, get them. If you like RP, get them. If you like immersive books, get them. If you are having trouble waiting for GW2 to come out and need something to do, get these books.

The third book seems to not be coming out until 2013...so that sucks...as it's supposed to be the final piece bridging the gap and setting up GW2 compeletely...but i did find something interesting in my findings.

Posted in March of 2012:

"For those new to the community, Guild Wars: Sea of Sorrows by Ree Soesbee, is the final book in a trilogy of stories that sets the stage for Guild Wars 2. Original intentions were to have all three books out before launch, essentially bridging the lore gap between the original Guild Wars game and Guild Wars 2, while providing fans with something to drool over while the game continues development. Earlier today I received an email from a bookstore in Belgium who noticed a change in release date from the previously mentioned August 28th, 2012, to a winter release of December 30th, 2012."

The release date was under our noses the entire time T.T

http://www.guildwarsinsider.com/sea-sorrows-release-date-update/

Gonna pick these up I think, to kill some time at work.

yeah, you should definitely like the books if you like Guild Wars at all and/or reading. Just make sure you don't read them too fast...cuz then you'll be left with nothing to do again haha

I actually have the first one on my phone ready to be read, I just have to finish what I'm reading now. Wasn't sure if it was going to be any good, so I'm glad to hear I have something to look forward to!

Yup...they are kinda short...only 500 pages long each...but definitely an action-packed 500 pages

Yup...they are kinda short...only 500 pages long each...but definitely an action-packed 500 pages

How "kid-ish" are the books? Are they similar to something like Dragonlance or Forgotten Realms, or more adult oriented like Ice and Fire or Sword of Truth?

I'm terrible, I've had the books since they got released but only read the first one - second one has been sitting on my side table for like a year...:(

Im currently working on Edge of Destiny after Ghost of Ascalon, I'm just a little confused about the chronology of the books. They mention Destiny's edge in ghosts of Ascalon but GoA came out first correct?

Im currently working on Edge of Destiny after Ghost of Ascalon, I'm just a little confused about the chronology of the books. They mention Destiny's edge in ghosts of Ascalon but GoA came out first correct?

It's reverse Chronology. So Ghost of Ascalon is right before GW2 (like 1 year before I think) and Edge of Destiny is before that (several years). The third book will be set over a longer period of time and should explain the rise of Zaitan and the flooding and rebuilding of Lion's Arch (so more of a bridge between GW1 and GW2).

Yea I just finished the second book, the lore is awesome and it makes me want to play an asura just a bit more. Anybody have any ideas as to what the 3rd book will be about?

Maybe when/if they come out in audiobook form I'll check em out. I've been corrupted, regular reading doesn't cut it anymore. :p I can't read a book while I'm driving, or playing mindless hack and slash games. If you guys like fantasy seriously read Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson. It's like epically huge but it's really, really awesome. Also: Wheel of Time, Mistborn, Iron Druid Chronicles, and Dresden Files. All pretty damn good as well. Hell my crappy backwards hick town doesn't even have a bookstore anymore. :(

Top Bottom