What's new

New Feature The new and IMPROVED TAB 2.0 Homepage!

tr1age

Administrator
Staff member
So we kinda silently released this so those who we blasted out the email to would have an awesome place to land when they came back to check out TAB 2.0 and were waiting to say anything until kbambz was happy with the code and such.

So kbambz is super busy at the moment and hasn't had the time to follow up, to introduce the brand new TAB 2.0 homepage. With that in mind, I will tell you where it is:

http://alttabme.com

View attachment 788

Here are some of the new goals for it:
  • Creating a place that was useful and gives you the most information about the site at a glance.
  • Adding features like Chat so you didn't have to obunce back and forth between pages too much if you were there to see the latest updates.
  • BiWeekly Arcade Game
  • Featured podcast
  • Top posts
  • Community member spotlight(recommended by Milly, in the future we will cater these to be more personalized via video podcasts or interviews, but for now we are using AMAs).
  • Top Posts of the month with special algorithms

As a note: posting a photo into an article makes it look cooler on the front page even if we made a backup for those without. Something to keep in mind.

And while kbambz is readying her post, I will give you all a little insight into the process behind designing something like this!

First we say something like:
View attachment 789

Then we look at what we used in the past and try to enhance it to be more useful to everyday use.

Q8hMhxh.png

We make mock ups:

All the while kbambz starts to build the background framework code and calls to the database so the pretty things can actually WORK.

We finally lock down a complete layout:

View attachment 790

We ask the community what they would like to see on a front page and get an awesome idea from Milleuda

View attachment 791

kbambz starts putting the pieces of the puzzle together and we have convos like this:

View attachment 792

And ultimately you end up with what we think is the best combination of functionality and design for our new TAB 2.0 Home Page. A place where you can see things you may not see immediately upon going to the website made front and center. A way to help new and current members navigate hot topics, activity, and spotlight cool shit going on!

So with that said we hope you enjoy the new front page and as always we will iterate if we feel it needs more, less, or something to make it more useful to everyday use. Thank you to everyone for their feedback over the last few months and continued support of AltTabMe, without you it would not be possible and really lonely. :)

A huge shout out for kbambz for balancing work and this site. Without her this would not be possible. I can only do so much with photoshop and CSS before she makes the thing work and work well not only on the web but on mobile and every device we have grown accustomed to using TAB with!

There are still some bugs and such, please do not report them haha. We know about them, but they are minor enough where we figured as a community of iteration everyone would agree having such cool functionality added would be worth it with a bug or two attached, that may or may never be stumbled upon.

Last edited:
I like the cool new front page, even though it feels too flashy for me. Don't change it, it's just me.

Last edited:
Top Bottom