What's new

The tab-target sin

Thovarisk

[Ragnarok was his name]
Ok, this is actually getting on my nerves now, It's been a while since we had the introduction to action combat on MMO's ranging from TERA to GW2 and some other minor ones here and there and they are great in different aspects and not so great on others. And while I LOVE the combat in GW2 I HATE the combat system in TERA so from my personal experience just simply shouting "ACTION COMBAT" doesn't immediately makes your game awesome.

Now let me elaborate what I'm pissed about, everyday I've been seeing more and more people (yes, even here.) that shout to their gaming gods "DEATH TO ALL TAB TARGET" or just say something like "Tab targeting is LAAAAMEEE!!" and I think, really?? most of us played WOW to the death and never had an issue with it (mostly), I know for a fact that I LOVED World of Warcraft through all my time spent there until I just grew tired of it, but it wasn't because of the combat system.

So basically, If you don't enjoy tab targeting anymore ok, go ahead and play only action combat... or TIC TAC TOE for all I care, I know that I will be very soon playing a new game that is Tab targeting based and really fun to me at least.

Tab Targeting is NOT A SIN!!! it's still pretty much valid and will continue to exist EVEN IF YOU HATE IT!!... so please, just chill.

Do you guys still play TAB or just ACTION now?

Ok, this is actually getting on my nerves now, It's been a while since we had the introduction to action combat on MMO's ranging from TERA to GW2 and some other minor ones here and there and they are great in different aspects and not so great on others. And while I LOVE the combat in GW2 I HATE the combat system in TERA so from my personal experience just simply shouting "ACTION COMBAT" doesn't immediately makes your game awesome.

Now let me elaborate what I'm pissed about, everyday I've been seeing more and more people (yes, even here.) that shout to their gaming gods "DEATH TO ALL TAB TARGET" or just say something like "Tab targeting is LAAAAMEEE!!" and I think, really?? most of us played WOW to the death and never had an issue with it (mostly), I know for a fact that I LOVED World of Warcraft through all my time spent there until I just grew tired of it, but it wasn't because of the combat system.

So basically, If you don't enjoy tab targeting anymore ok, go ahead and play only action combat... or TIC TAC TOE for all I care, I know that I will be very soon playing a new game that is Tab targeting based and really fun to me at least.

Tab Targeting is NOT A SIN!!! it's still pretty much valid and will continue to exist EVEN IF YOU HATE IT!!... so please, just chill.

Do you guys still play TAB or just ACTION now?

I never used TAB I always clicked on my Targets. Oh wait I am a healer so this does not apply to me.
The reason why people don´t like Tab targeting is, that you just stand there and you do not need to move around. I can live with both.

Yeah, pretty much what Euchale said. Tab targetting is just a boring auto-aim feature. I will say that the combat in WoW did put me off after awhile. Repetitiveness is absolutely no fun, and tab targetting didn't help that aspect of gameplay at all.

I didn't mind the tab targeting in WoW, and I'd be just as excited about WS even if it used Tab targeting. Of course I'm excited about using a new telegraph system. It's new. But tab targeting isn't going away completely. From what I hear, it is used in WS to help you face the mob you are focusing.

Like Kele said, I honestly don't mind tab targetting. While it has its place, I think I'm most excited for this telegraph/aiming feature is because I personally believe that it will truly separate the skilled players from the ones who just aren't so.

If this system is intuitive and fun, assuming the game does well, Im fairly sure there will be a highly competitive pvp scene that could even have sponsors and tournaments. However that's all to be seen, I'm just saying there is a lot of potential in this type of system.

I don't have a problem with tab targeting in and of itself. I actually like the functionality that lets you bring your target's character frame up so you can see its health and buffs/debuffs. The thing I don't like about tab targeting is the idea that once you "see" a target by tabbing to it or clicking on it your attacks can't miss. Bullets and arrows curve in mid flight, fire shoots through someone else and doesn't hurt them, etc.

The reason I like action combat more is it feels more intuitive and skill based. I want to be able to move to the side and not get hit. I want to have to keep aiming at a target to land that attack. If I swipe a sword at 3 people I want to be able to hit all 3 if they are in range and don't move out of the swing.

In a perfect world the perfect action combat would be my choice of play. In the real world, I will play whatever style the game gives me and be fine with it.

The [TAB] target sin

I came in expecting some kind of rant against the community, was confused but pleased it wasn't XD

Tab targeting is a "dated" system. Not saying it's bad, but the current generation is trying to go "beyond" it. Evolution of gaming and all that jazz. It's a GOOD thing.

WS saying that tab targeting exists but will not perform as well as free fluid action is a GOOD thing. It wants people to evolve into a new gaming methodology. Do we really want the same old CoD game every year? No, we bash it because it does the same thing year after year. Do we want to bash companies that try to innovate and expand beyond the current practice? No, we want them to make more in-depth and creative solutions to the same questions that have existed since day !.

I DO think you should be able to tab between things, I DONT think tabbing to those things should snap your character into facing them. I like being able to tab between mobs and use it frequently, but in a game like this it should not aid in your ability to aim at that target.

I don't have a problem with tab targeting in and of itself. I actually like the functionality that lets you bring your target's character frame up so you can see its health and buffs/debuffs. The thing I don't like about tab targeting is the idea that once you "see" a target by tabbing to it or clicking on it your attacks can't miss. Bullets and arrows curve in mid flight, fire shoots through someone else and doesn't hurt them, etc.

The reason I like action combat more is it feels more intuitive and skill based. I want to be able to move to the side and not get hit. I want to have to keep aiming at a target to land that attack. If I swipe a sword at 3 people I want to be able to hit all 3 if they are in range and don't move out of the swing.

In a perfect world the perfect action combat would be my choice of play. In the real world, I will play whatever style the game gives me and be fine with it.

Yes this 100x, I think the fact that you can target something and never miss it (except from LoS and out of range)takes out so much skill. I think the only issue with tab targeting was the simplicity it brought with it. It was usually just the target and I in a fight, with a few other little sideshows going on. Now in the system Wildstar is creating we have the freedom to make everyone our target at once while having to worry about all npc's attacks at once as well. It just gonna add another layer of depth to the gaming which I will enjoy.

I DO think you should be able to tab between things, I DONT think tabbing to those things should snap your character into facing them. I like being able to tab between mobs and use it frequently, but in a game like this it should not aid in your ability to aim at that target.
+1

WS isn't built around tab targeting, it's about fluid action combat. To try to fight the changes and not adapt is only going to hurt in the long run.

^ What he said. I think Tab targeting needs to exist to see health bars. but nothing more. Tab targeting is not something I despise, but I believe its outdated, and gets stale quickly for me.

Well I didn´t plan on doing PvP anyway...
Yeah... I don't really mind one way or the other. In terms of PvE, it's "easier' to ignore other peoples locations and create more in-depth telegraphs because you can "stack" people.

PvP... /sigh oh well. Can't have it both ways.

Yeah... I don't really mind one way or the other. In terms of PvE, it's "easier' to ignore other peoples locations and create more in-depth telegraphs because you can "stack" people.

PvP... /sigh oh well. Can't have it both ways.

You can have it both ways: In Warhammer online, when there were no enemies around there was no collision, but as soon as there were enemies there was. The range was quite big, so it was not useful for spotting if an enemy is nearby.

I would like to see an action combat system (moving around during combat, careful placement and direction of attacks and abilities) mixed in with a tab target locking system. I like to use tab to lock onto my current target so I can easily see their health, debuffs, etc. I'd like to be able to continue to use it and just cycle through targets while still having to aim and use my abilities in a strategic manner.

Ofcourse I DO agree with all of you to a certain extent, Tab Target is old and can use some innovation or mix with more action. But some ppl just straight out HATE on it.

Ofcourse I DO agree with all of you to a certain extent, Tab Target is old and can use some innovation or mix with more action. But some ppl just straight out HATE on it.

Yea I don't understand why either. Tab, lock targeting where you use a wide variety of spells/abilities to me is a lot easier to work with than the high skill/strategy requirements of action combat.

Yea I don't understand why either. Tab, lock targeting where you use a wide variety of spells/abilities to me is a lot easier to work with than the high skill/strategy requirements of action combat.

It certainly is easier. These guys are just gluttons for punishment. :'(

Seriously, though, the real time targeting and aiming is going to make fights less grindy and more interesting. [user]Tr1age[/user] may not be able so set up scripted exploits to level him while afk, though.

Top Bottom