What's new

Too convenient... And where is my damn fishing!

Strange

The Texan.
This my short little rant on things I miss from other mmorpgs that aren't implemented in GW2 and I feel they should. Anet has done a great job of creating a new mmorpg experience and fixing a lot of past genre problems, but they got rid of a lot of what makes this genre so addicting and enjoyable. In essence, I think they made GW2 too convenient.

Some things I miss when playing GW2:

I miss the seamless world design like in WOW, Rift, etc. I personally love exploring the beautiful game worlds in mmorpgs, including in GW2. Its the best looking one I've seen yet. But, the instanced zone design takes alot out of the game's proportion. It doesn't feel as epic as in other games. In fact its a little underwhelming in my opinion. The use of porting to waypoints and cities is over done. They have removed the grandeur from the game and replaced it with total convenience. Im not saying I want to walk to every destination, but I miss flight points, I miss being able to walk from one zone to the next as a seamless transition, no load screen. I miss having to look at the map trying to figure out how to get to a new destination because there isn't a way point there. Just make it less convenient and more grand.

On the convenience note: I miss getting to level cap and feeling a sense of accomplishment. Getting xp for every little thing you do in this game is great, but not when you can hit cap in 2 weeks. Yes Anet has mostly taking the grind out of leveling, and its great, but they have over done the convenience factor again. Because there is a lack of end game content, and the fact that mostly everything is accessible to all levels minus dungeons, it really takes away from the satisfaction of finally reaching a goal. Add on the zone level caps and I never get to feel like a bad ass anymore. Sure I can make my character look bad ass, but I never really am. I should feel like Bruce Almighty as he just discovered his powers when I walk through a low level zone.

Also, in short, the event system is too underwhelming. Just give us classic questing and use the event system as zone dynamics. Questing is just my mmorpg nostalgia.

I don't want to hear, " then why not go back to wow then?". I don't want to play an 8 year old grind. I like gw2, I just miss the (never wanting to stop playing it) feeling like I did in wow. I'm probably the only one who feels this way, but gw2 is just way to convenient. I don't want everything given to me so easily or purchasable for that matter.

GW2 has just become my PvP fix now. I absolutely love the sPvP portion of the game. But never have the drive to play the pve part anymore.

Oh, and to reiterate... the lack of logged on last times! Cmon man!

AND WHERES THE FISHING DAMMIT!?

I have to say I miss the raid portion of WoW. Getting in with a group of 24 other people and wiping on a boss that if you look at him wrong he whoops your ass. It was always fun to get angry with everybody when we were dying and just making friends in that environment. I loved competing with the group to see who did the most dps, or who took the least amount of damage. I miss being able to compare my statistics with world in general and trying to find new ways to better myself. PvE is what I love most about mmorps and raids just make me all hot and bothered under the hood. I don't miss the $15 a month, the requirement to buy a new expansion when one is released, and the job of a grind it is just to make money while playing. Introduce 25 man raids and hardcore ass bosses, like the Arah boss, and a mount system. Like what was stated earlier I loved the seamless zone transitions, but I loved them much more on my flying mount when I could just fly over everything and just take in the scenery.

Mounts indeed! Its an irrational need to collect awesome looking mounts more than the need to move faster. I agree with developers who say that flying mounts can take more away from experiencing the world than give to it. But they are very cool and fun. Flying really should only be done as a set transportation system where the devs control the flight paths as to give us the view they want us to see. But Anet should definitely gives us land mounts. With gw2's awesome graphics and art style, mounts can look really good.

The lack of raids has hit me a lot harder than I thought it would. While I don't miss certain aspects of raiding (loot drama, DKP, people feeling left out of raids, etc), I do miss the challenge of organizing a large group of people in order to take on a raid. I also miss camaraderie you develop with a consistent raiding crew, knowing each other's playstyles, backing them up, filling in for certain roles as required.

As much as I hate saying it, since I loathed having to do it at the time, I miss having to fill in specific roles like "Nahku, you're kiting the larva on Magmaw" or "Nahku, get on your sPriest, you're on MC duty for Razuvious (*shudder*)."

I miss reading up on strategies, and trying out different ways to kill bosses. I miss that feeling of a first-time kill on a boss, or a first full-clear of a raid zone. And damn, I can't believe I'm saying this, but I miss damage/healing/absorb meters, and being able to min-max to improve weekly. I guess I never realized how much I really loved raiding (even though it could feel like a second job a lot of the time).

But yeah, the lack of a true PvE endgame in GW2 was originally a huge draw for me, being sick of raiding and the time requirement, but it's gradually becoming what's turning me away from the game. I was initially excited to get to the "boss encounters" like The Shatterer or Jormag, only to be completely disappointed by finding it to be a faceroll loot-piñata.

Don't get me wrong, I still think it's an amazing game and they've done some incredible things, but I do hope that future games don't follow GW2 and remove raiding. And yeah, there's no way in hell I'm going back to WoW after kicking that habit.

(edit: and FISHING! damn it.)

Hi Nahku! I agree with all of that. Especially the feeling needed for specific roles. I remember pre-nerf my guild could not for the life of them kill saurfang in ICC without my amazing disc-priest abilities. No other disc priest could do what I did apparently. May have just been my gear, or attention to detail, cooldown management, reaction time, or w/e. But I made us win that fight. I was the man. That hasn't happened too many times in this game (except for solo'ing bosses in 5-mans when party wipes, but that's just because rangers can do that sorta thing with good kiting skills).

Raiding was the best (and worst) part of WoW. I miss raiding when I know I've got a guild like this one that could tear the crap out of it and have fun, even when wiping. I really enjoy long, complex boss fights that require smart playing, positioning, and resource management.

I don't mind all the waypoints and convenience of porting. When I"m new to a zone, I get to see everything because I HAVE to hoof it. After that, I can run or port depending on whether or not I want the scenic route.

I like the level scaling because it makes all the zones feel relevant, even when I am over leveled for an area. It also prevents asshole high level farmers, griefers, or bots from 1 shotting all your mobs. Though I do miss the world PvP of WoW where we would raid low level towns and destroy everyone and everything in sight. The competion over resources was also frustrating but fun on the PvP servers.

Hi Nahku! I agree with all of that. Especially the feeling needed for specific roles. I remember pre-nerf my guild could not for the life of them kill saurfang in ICC without my amazing disc-priest abilities. No other disc priest could do what I did apparently. May have just been my gear, or attention to detail, cooldown management, reaction time, or w/e. But I made us win that fight. I was the man. That hasn't happened too many times in this game (except for solo'ing bosses in 5-mans when party wipes, but that's just because rangers can do that sorta thing with good kiting skills).

I feel super effective as a Mesmer in Boss encounters. I always know if there is at least 1 person up I can make or break the group. Not from CRAZY DPS but enough DPS and damage mitigation.

I feel hardcore when I go down and target an add quickly to rally and continue without burdening my team.

I feel like this needs to happen MORE though. I want the rest of my team to have to feel important.

I LOVED HEALING in age of conan because I was up close and people THANKED the healers! WHAT!?! They were that important and useful. And you did DAMAGE! WHAT!?

I loved healing in WoW. I found the support role really interesting and it actually gave me a lot of control over many fights. I felt it was more strategic than most of the dps roles.

Something I don't miss from other games is the single drop list from each corpse. I've gotten so used to everyone sharing loot and kill credit in GW2 that I seriously don't think I can go back.

GW2 Dungeons are fun but since everything is puggable and there is no vertical progression there is a lack of incentive to form a dedicated group of people to go clear everything. Need a group for Electric Boogaloo path 2? Just go to the lfg site and you'll hopefully have it done in an hour or so.

There is also a distinct lack of fishing.

I found the support role really interesting

When I first got into WoW my initial role was to tank. I always wanted to tank and still do. Nothing gave me a better feeling than knowing that you and one other guy were the only things stopping a boss from destroying your raid. I mean don't get me wrong healers played a very important role of keeping the tank alive but it was always exhilarating knowing I could walk up to Ragnoros and he couldn't one shot me like most other players.

Top Bottom