What's new

Understeer is when...

Sivenx

I made a slight miscalculation yesterday.

k3wWl3F.jpg

Now I'm kind of shaken up. This is the first time I've ever damaged a vehicle, and I'm 26. Fortunately no one was hurt. Long story short, yes I generally drive fast. Now I feel like I can't trust myself to drive at all, not even at a very conservative level.

Well first things first... FORTUNATELY NO ONE WAS HURT... as you said. But I remember my first fender bender and it definitely shakes you up. Did you swerve to avoid hitting something or someone? Or were you distracted? I hope not texting!!! Don't do that!!! :)

In my case, and this was many years ago, I wasn't driving too fast but my car crumbled like a piece of tin foil. I know they make them that way to absorb impact but it was a total loss and in a situation that I would call a minor collision.

Don't be afraid to get behind the wheel again. You have to. But I'm sure for a while you'll be overly cautious and alert. I hope it doesn't make your insurance go up too much or anything. Hang in there!

Best way to get over it is to get the rental car and take a small drive immediately then when you can't take it anymore go home and do it again the next day. Have to just force yourself back up on the horse literally. I've been in one really bad one before and I didn't want to get into my car ever again and I love driving.

From the pic it looks like you just went up on the curb and didn't hit anyone else. You will be out of sorts driving for a bit, but just be careful and you will be fine. After a while you learn to trust yourself again driving. No one was hurt so the consequences are just you paying for your ride really.

Thanks guys, that helps a lot. Most of my friends here were actually involved, so I feel like a jackass trying to talk about it any further.

It was just a bad day for driving. I knew it as soon as I left the house, I just didn't have a good feel for the car, the seat, the pedals. For some reason I pressed anyway. I was clumsy, miscalculated, and halfway through the turn we hit a large patch of gravel. I felt it right away and knew we were fucked. I took a fraction of a second and decided to stay with understeering so that I could stay on the brakes to bleed off more speed... worst case, we use the front end of the car to absorb impact, rather than the sides which would put the passengers at a greater risk.

I'm not trying to blame the car, or the road, or the environment. It was definitely my fault for being sloppy and overconfident. I definitely have to be more cautious, practice more, and implement a large margin of safety. That indeed means no more 'racing' around town. I'm planning on buying an Imprezza STI this month and looking forward to some autocross at the venues here in Texas.

A good friend of mine had the knack of driving a bit too fast, he just never made a bad experience that taught him to be more careful. When he got in a similar situation as the one you're describing, he hit a patch of gravel, lost control of his car and slammed into the oncoming traffic at around 80mph. Both he and the young woman in the other car that he hit died instantly. It was entirely his fault.

My point is, your accident wasn't as bad, but you have the chance to learn from that experience - a chance that my friend never got. It's normal that you're a bit tentative behind the wheel now, but like Tristan said, you need to get back on the horse. A lot of us have been where you are right now, and you can take our word that it'll get better - and in the end this whole experience will make you a better driver!

When you get your Impreza (Subaru ftw!), I'd suggest looking into some safety training that lets you get a feel for your new car in extreme situations like skidpans, during aquaplaning, etc. It helps getting acquainted with your new car, and it will help you regain your confidence in your driving abilities!

Top Bottom