What's new

GW2 Vampiric Necro (PvE)

Tulzscha

Figured I'd throw this up here 'cause it's a bit different than the standard Necro builds, and I found it quite good so far. :alien3: And hey if anyone has ideas to make it better, I'd love to hear 'em.

So the premise: A PvE Necro build based on the life-stealing traits of the Blood tree, enabling a nice combination of tankiness and direct damage.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fQAQRBHbhG2IjWpe3mnG9eCQmRzWP9gbv/G+QuAThe Build

For stats, I'm using the Knight armor set with Knight accessories and gems. The gear has toughness as its main stat with precision and power second. The gems have precision first and power/toughness second. Don't know why it's switched but it works very awesomely here, and I have not found any runes that would benefit me as well as these.

*When prioritizing self-heals, toughness becomes a very important stat to make each heal worth more.
*The Vampiric traits don't benefit from healing power, so that's not an option.
*Heals on crits! Need moar crits!! Oh hai precision.

So thanks to the 25-point minor trait in Death, both toughness and precision double as offensive and defensive stats. Throw in some power to actually kill things and it's good to go.

*********************************************************************************

Now the traits:

30 Blood: 20 points is the minimum necessary for increased siphoning and heals on crits. Personally I love many of the Blood traits so I went all the way in. I decided not to get Well siphoning for a few reasons: it's not always easy to keep mobs in your Wells, all Wells have long cooldowns (which could be reduced with another Blood trait, but that would mean cutting out one of the other siphoning traits), and I like being able to do more than plop a few circles on the ground every minute or so. Mark of Evasion is my favorite for its regen every 10 seconds. Quickening Thirst is nice for getting around. I don't use the others so much with this build.

15 Spite: So Necros only really have 2 damage trees: Spite (direct damage) and Curses (condition damage). If you want to do teh damagez, you're pretty much stuck with one or the other (Life Blast from your Death Shroud scales more off Power than anything; the added life force pool size from the Soul Reaping tree doesn't add much damage). I tried both, and they both work decently, but I found that when building a Conditionmancer you really just don't need the Vampiric traits at all. You can kite everything to death pretty well, so those points are better spent elsewhere.

Daggers however are the highest dps weapons Necros have, and they are fantastic for this build for many reasons: They put you in melee range (so you'll need that healing more :p), they hit fast (more heals), and the Blood tree favors Daggers. Which means direct damage, which means Spite. But I don't like most of the spite traits, and I wanted to be more tanky, so I only put enough points to get the boost to healing power (which affects the Dagger 2 ability nicely).

25 Death: Also a good amount of power comes from this tree, with the 25-point minor. With the subpar gear I have right now I'm getting over 80 base power from this trait. Not bad. Dark Armor is pretty nice (and also gives +20 power). Necros have 3 channeled abilities to make it work: One on Dagger MH, one on the Axe, and one from Death Shroud. So, I'm using a Dagger MH and an Axe for my 2 weapon sets. You could also use a Staff instead of the Axe and get increased mark size, but seeing how the Staff does not go as well with the Vampiricness I left it out.

I find it amusing how toughness also adds power and healing power. Whee super stat!

...Ok, you only get a quarter of a percent of your toughness as healing power (that's, what, 5 healing power for 2000 toughness), but it's the principle, man.

*********************************************************************************

Weapons!

As previously stated I opted for the Dagger and Axe as my main-hand weapons for their channeled abilities. Another thing to consider is multi-hit abilities, like Axe 2 (8 hits for the price of one). The heals from your Vampiric traits are the same regardless of your damage, so multiple small hits = more heals. The Dagger and Axe both attack fast, which helps too. For off-hands I'm using a Warhorn for Insect Swarm (10 heals w00t) and a Focus for the Vulnerability+Regen. This build can stack vulnerability crazy fast, which will help its lacking damage.

The Staff is also a good weapon for practically anything. If you want to use it, drop the Axe. Which offhand you keep depends... I'd keep Focus for single-target and Warhorn for multi-target. A couple reasons for this: The Focus's Regen and Vulnerability spell bounces, so it's terribly unreliable with multiple targets. Even in a dungeon against a boss, it'll bounce off party members and therefore you might not get the full 12 stacks of vulnerability. Regen is awesome, but you don't know where it'll go. (The best way to prevent crazy bouncing is stand right on top of your target. Your party members probably won't get regen this way, but oh well. You're a Necro, not a damned Guardian.) The chill/boon removal is pretty situational, so meh. For the Warhorn, well, it doesn't do much. The daze is ok (better for PvP), but Locust Swarm is damned amazing. With enough enemies, it'll fill your life force from 0 to full. Plus that healing (and crippling). Oh, and gotta love sprint. Too much awesomeness in one ability! :eek:mg: Unfortunately, it does crap damage.

(BTW, random fun trick: Activating Locust Swarm before entering Death Shroud will fill your life force while in DS, so long as it's hitting enemies. Which means more powerful Life Blasts. Add piercing from the Unyielding Blast trait and, as long as you aren't taking tons of damage (minion tanks?), AoE like crayzeh. But, that's another build. Maybe I'll post that one here too. :p)

Now I know Dagger OH is a very popular choice for its condition removal and awesome CC, but I'm intent on maxing out my Vampiricness xD I got Shrouded Removal from the Death tree to help with conditions, and also use Well of Power if needed. Blind and Weakness can be obtained from combos.

Abilitahs

I'm finding it very difficult to define these sections because they all tie into each other. xD

The build lacks damage because I only have 15 points in Spite and my gear prioritizes toughness. One way to help this is stacking vulnerability, which I have from the Axe and Focus. I get more with Spectral Wall. It can be hard to use in dungeons, but if done right you can get 20 stacks of vulnerability with this spell alone, + protection. The protection doesn't stack, but you can get rebuffed after the first buff wears off. Well of Suffering adds more vulnerability + tons of damage. And, heyo, both of those utilities are combo fields. So my 3rd utility is Summon Bone Minions, for 2 blast finishers, which also add some very nice, albeit hard to control, AoE damage.

Now on the note of combos, Necros are capable of producing 4 types of combo fields: Light, Dark, Poison, and Ethereal. And because of these I'm still very torn between an Axe and Staff, because the Staff not only has a Poison field but also 2 finishers (and a ton of other awesome things).

Light comes only from Well of Blood; you could use it though I'd strongly recommend getting Ritual Mastery if so. And teach your party members to use it. (It removes conditions too, mhm.)

Spectral Wall is your only Ethereal Field and blasting it gives a random buff, which is all right, but the best ones are Dark and Poison. Dark creates blindness with blast and life-steal with projectiles, and Poison creates weakness with blast and, um, more poison with projectiles. Without the Staff, the only finishers here are from exploding the 2 Bone Minions, but at least they have a short recharge time.

Regardless, because of the comboness, I'll always have either a Well or Corrosive Poison Cloud for one utility. Any one would do, pick depending on the situation. (Well of Darkness is silly for combo use though, double blind doesn't help much.) I default to Well of Power for the condition removal. If you do not need protection or condition removal, you can go Bone Minions, Well of Suffering, and Corrosive Poison Cloud. Just keep in mind that Corrosive Poison Cloud does give you weakness for a pretty long time. If you have Shrouded Removal, no problem, just go in DS after using it.

It's important to note that the Vampiric traits are still pretty weak. Having them does not mean you'll never need to dodge or heal again. It will not recover you from taking a hit for half your health. But it does give some very nice sustainability while your heal is on cooldown and helps you take better advantage of your most high-risk high-reward weapon.

If possible I'd like to add more damage to this build, but am not sure in what form (power/crit damage?). Unfortunately it seems like I'll either have to sacrifice toughness or precision to do so. :(

Thoughts/comments welcome. /blob

This is what I've come up with

You are running a partial crit build just to steal a small amount of health when you do so. You have a small crit chance, no additional crit damage, and don't even have any other on crit effects from the curses tree (bleed on crit being the most important). In short, your precision is a massive source of inefficiency.

I've scrapped precision entirely, pushing you towards a well build instead. Now every well does guaranteed life siphon, making much better use of the wells. I've scrapped knights and gone for Soldiers stats. You can't run a condition build or a precision build without curses, so soldier is the only option available to you.

...Ok, you only get a quarter of a percent of your toughness as healing power (that's, what, 5 healing power for 2000 toughness), but it's the principle, man.
Let's be clear, fuck the principle, efficiency is the master here. Is having wells apply protection (thereby making better use of other traits) better than ~80 power (also trading 50 power and 5% condition duration for 50 vit and 50 healing power)?

I've also swapped your blood traits so wells siphon health and have reduced cooldown.

Finally, I'm not happy with runes of Vampirism that I've added, but there are no great pure power runes available that I could see - and you really don't need more tankiness.

I've got to say, this was a fascinating build to read and look though. Thanks for posting it!

You are running a partial crit build just to steal a small amount of health when you do so. You have a small crit chance, no additional crit damage, and don't even have any other on crit effects from the curses tree (bleed on crit being the most important). In short, your precision is a massive source of inefficiency.

Hm, in my current gear (which consists of multiple greens still) I have 40% crit chance. I left out the gear in the builder because they only have PvP stats which differ from PvE for the Knight set. What would you consider a decent %? Tbh I'd rather take out something for crit damage than run a standard well build, and I was trying to avoid using many wells because they're boring and also useless when mobs/players run out of them. x.x Alternatively dropping a Spectral Wall on top of something adds 10 stacks of vulnerability immediately and it can give me 13 seconds of protection every 40 seconds (+ random buffs from combos).

So how about Runes of Divinity? Sigils of Accuracy would add more crit chance and I could go with another Sigil that adds an effect on crit like Air/Fire/Rage. I suppose one thing I could do is take those 5 points you took from Spite and put in Death and use them in Curses; more precision and bleeds on crit, but don't know how good that'd be without condition damage.

Let's be clear, fuck the principle, efficiency is the master here. Is having wells apply protection (thereby making better use of other traits) better than ~80 power (also trading 50 power and 5% condition duration for 50 vit and 50 healing power)?

Hm, since I'm already lacking power I dunno if it'd be better. If I needed to be more tanky yeah, or if I was planning on bunkering in PvP. Confused about the trade though. Taking 5 from Spite and putting into Death would be -47.5 power -5% condition duration and +50 toughness +5% boon duration. Hm. Anyhoo must go to work now kthxbye :D

Oh fuck...Runes of Divinity...no. No. Are you getting this? No. Do you want to be rubbish at everything? Do you want to lose the possibility for unique functionality of runes? If yes, the runes of divinity are for you! 'Generalist' simply means 'inferior at everything'. You know they actually buffed ascended divinity items in the last patch because they weren't good enough? They STILL aren't good enough.

Back to your other points...

65-75% is a good crit chance. To make crits effective you either need extra crit damage OR conditions on crits. As I have said on nearly every build suggestion I've ever written, you need to full commit everything to precision or try something else.

As for the trade, I created the build in sPvP with my Necro, and exactly described the change in traits there. I either made a mistake or we're working of different things.

Do you really think you can run a decent crit build without the 300 precision points that come from curses? That is the single biggest source of precision in PvE. Of course that comes with condition damage too, and you need to make use of that condition damage to be efficient.

The sad truth is that some builds are simply not viable on certain classes because of the attribute pairings on traits. If you want a life siphon build on crit build, you need to scrap everything but blood magic and focus on curses (30). You then need rampager gear (precison, power, crit - get em from AC exp easily).

I did not suggest this originally as it is a complete U-turn for your character with armor, weapon choices and runes/sigils. Everything. Your original build is basically a necromancer-tank. Nothing wrong with that - and the life siphon-wells really help keep you alive.

What you are asking for now is a DPS build, completely the opposite of the one I crafted. If you want decent life siphons though, it's gotta be wells.

Failing that, there's already some decent builds in the forum archives.

Hokay the point I don't fully understand is this:

you need to full commit everything to precision or try something else.

Because I don't see builds in this game as all or nothing, but more like say a slider with (one example) one side being tank and the other dps. To gain one you must sacrifice the other, but I don't see anything wrong with being somewhere in the middle, other than the fact you're not going to have optimal damage or survivability which I don't see as being a problem in this game. As far as precision itself goes, on shorter fights yes a lower crit chance hurts but overall it's still a damage increase. Maybe there is some math I'm missing where power is better until you reach a certain %?

Do you really think you can run a decent crit build without the 300 precision points that come from curses? That is the single biggest source of precision in PvE. Of course that comes with condition damage too, and you need to make use of that condition damage to be efficient.

Well, yes, though I think "crit build" needs to be defined. If I wanted a berserker-type build I still wouldn't go into Curses. I'd go Spite and Soul Reaping with a bit of either Death or Blood so I don't kamikaze on everything.

Unfortunately the only stat-set I'm aware of that prioritizes crit is Rampager. There are also Emerald gems (precision main/power/toughness) which I am already using, but I don't think that if you want a crit build you must use Rampager gear.

The sad truth is that some builds are simply not viable on certain classes because of the attribute pairings on traits. If you want a life siphon build on crit build, you need to scrap everything but blood magic and focus on curses (30). You then need rampager gear (precison, power, crit - get em from AC exp easily).

I've heard this many times, especially about this type of build. Which is one reason why I made it and posted here. :3 I did try your suggestion there though two builds ago: hybrid dps with rampager gear. Think it was 20/30/0/20/0. Probably would've been better as 0/30/x/x/0 (didn't make much use of the power side except when everything else was on cooldown) and well then it's just becoming a run-of-the-mill condition build.

Your original build is basically a necromancer-tank.

Nuuu it is tanky dps. My aim is something like 60% dps 40% tank. Roughly. I am pretty horrible with glass cannons. :p Also in group fights it's more important to not die than to deal max damage imo. Every time you go down and your group has to pick you up, they're not doing damage. I b'lieve it was you who told me the best build is one that has just enough survivability to not die and the rest damage. I like a lil more survivability just in case. ^^

All that said I've been considering changing my accessories to 'zerker gear and probably getting some kind of crit damage runes, seeing how that goes. (Runes of Divinity do give the highest crit damage bonus, don't they? har har xD Well other than Rage, but that one's only higher when you have Fury. Note to self: DS Dance for unlimited fury + Rage Runes. :O! )

Lets split this up, and not just cos I'm short on time:

Crits
Precision builds vary with every class based on the attribute pairings of precision + X. If you have precision + condition damage, if you are dealing no condition damage you are making poor use of your paired attribute - therefore Rampagers is a good compliment for necromancers, engineers and other pres + CD.

Now read this on precision vs power. Power is better than straight precision for damage.

Precision has much less DPS than power without on-crit effects such as crit damage or condtions - the life siphon just isn't going to cut it on it's own. Hence my suggestion of a pure power build over a weak precision build.

Which comes to your question - why is a bit of precision a bad thing if it simply ups DPS?
Because you based too much of your build around a single on-crit effect that isn't that astounding. Without more on-crit effects such as +crit damage or extra conditions, that precision is wasted when you could simply have power. Every % crit makes every on-crit effect more useful, more worth the choice to include on-crit effects.

Oh yeah, and on the subject of taking soul reaping, you typically get more critical damage from POWER than %Crit damage. Take some time to google "power vs precision guild wars 2" like I just did.

My own Engineer build makes use of perma fury and 6 stacks of might (might increases condition damage too remember), two on-crit conditions, and hybrid rampager/beserkers stuff.

Again, I reiterate, you need those 300 points of precision from the bleed-on-crit trait from curses to make your crit-build efficient. You are a necromancer, you have no choice for an efficient crit build.

Nuuu it is tanky dps. My aim is something like 60% dps 40% tank.

Look at the attriburtes from your traits again. See that focus on Toughness, Vitality, boon duration and healing? Look at the traits themselves. All of your major traits are geared towards defense except your focus recharge. Even with Knights items your original build is STILL overwhelmingly more tank than DPS.

As for divinity runes, rage rune and others: Critical damage might be higher, but power is better than critical damage - and power also increases critical damage% you have from other sources. So rather than shitty divinity runes that do not give you either enough power OR enough precision, consider something else. Rage runes are indeed viable in certain builds, but I don't know the capability of the necromancer to obtain fury.

On so called glass cannon builds, I play two classes with very little natural survivability from vit/toughness. The solution? Playing cautiously. Stay at the back, know your battles, move backwards at half health or below, dodge properly, having an escape skill or two. Effectively playing this way makes as much difference as toughness/vitality builds. Yes, this causes a problem if you have a full squishy group, but that's not common.

So it doesn't feel like just DM is on this one, I have to heartily agree with him.

And this conversation is exactly why I want to do a podcast on how to build Professions as well as an article series focusing on each Profession.

But I will tell you that tanky DPS is entirely possible. My Pwr/vit/tough Shout Warrior is a perfect example. He does consistent damage, doesn't rely on crit effects, and can soak damage like no-ones business. Its not a berserker uber-death warrior build, but it can do respectable damage.

Sigh, I did not realize precision was so horrible on its own. x.x That is depressing.

Rage runes are indeed viable in certain builds, but I don't know the capability of the necromancer to obtain fury.

The 15-point Minor in Curses gives 5 seconds of Fury every time you enter DS. The cooldown for DS is normally 10 seconds and can be reduced to 5 with the XII trait in Soul Reaping. Don't know the internal CD on the Curses trait, but it's low enough that you can have fury indefinitely, so long as you keep going in and out of DS.

Top Bottom