What's new

Video Card Upgrade - Potential PC upgrade. HELP!

tr1age

Administrator
Staff member
I need to upgrade my vid card I finally found out why my renders were failing my 690 can't handle cuda.

This 980 TI can. However with Pascal around the corner..... is it worth me just waiting to at least SEE what it is all about before making the jump?

If I make the jump I am looking at this one Gigabyte G1

The other thing would be to just go balls out and upgrade my entire rig. But my Intel-Core-i7-3930K is still pretty beast and I have a super fast 500gb ssd and 16gb ram.

Mind you I could always go for a nice 32gb ram and an 8 core instead of 6, but am I gaining that much?

Plus X99 seems to be the way to go but I don't know shit about shit with this stuff haha.

Anywho, my 690 lasted me 4 years or more, with the 980ti last the same or do I wait on the new line?

You forgot to write what you do on your PC. If it´s video editing, then upgrading the entire rig is worthwhile.

Dude you will be more then set with a 980ti. You could certainly wait but the current line of thinking is Pascal won't be as huge a boost as they made it sound, plus you get to tackle all the new driver issues that will probably come with it. Will it be worth the wait? Maybe. I didn't wait, and I have yet to know if I will have buyers remorse but right now I'm enjoying the hell out of this beast.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Dude you will be more then set with a 980ti. You could certainly wait but the current line of thinking is Pascal won't be as huge a boost as they made it sound, plus you get to tackle all the new driver issues that will probably come with it. Will it be worth the wait? Maybe. I didn't wait, and I have yet to know if I will have buyers remorse but right now I'm enjoying the hell out of this beast.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Yeah I suppose it is coming down to I could get the 980ti today for 630 and be rendering by tonight at higher speeds and then when this is all done gaming at awesome speeds.

BUT at the same end, I don't need to rush it to still render at decent speeds without the video card. I suppose it is just not liking that one part of my computer isn't working properly haha.

And yes Euchale upgrading completely would be worth it after the what 4 years I got out of this!? maybe more?!
But I mean the specs are still pretty good: http://alttabme.com/forum/threads/the-rig-computer-specs.335/

Who the hell knows. I might just wait it out since announcement of pascal cards is supposed to be may. And we are literally right there.

Crake what mobo did you say you wanted because of some architecture thing that maingear didn't have?

Yeah I suppose it is coming down to I could get the 980ti today for 630 and be rendering by tonight at higher speeds and then when this is all done gaming at awesome speeds.

BUT at the same end, I don't need to rush it to still render at decent speeds without the video card. I suppose it is just not liking that one part of my computer isn't working properly haha.

And yes Euchale upgrading completely would be worth it after the what 4 years I got out of this!? maybe more?!
But I mean the specs are still pretty good: http://alttabme.com/forum/threads/the-rig-computer-specs.335/

Who the hell knows. I might just wait it out since announcement of pascal cards is supposed to be may. And we are literally right there.

Crake what mobo did you say you wanted because of some architecture thing that maingear didn't have?
I wanted an EATX motherboard - I got the 5930k because it had more lanes available so I could have SLI'd vid cards along with a capture card and an extra USB 3 card. If you get the processor with the ability to run more PCI stuff why not use it?

Definitely planning on a new rig this year and I have been looking recently at dual 980ti cards. Im not holding out for pascal, but holding out for SC to progress enough to be called beta. That would be rougly the end of this year, many think. Either way, I think a new build for Christmas is a thing.

Definitely planning on a new rig this year and I have been looking recently at dual 980ti cards. Im not holding out for pascal, but holding out for SC to progress enough to be called beta. That would be rougly the end of this year, many think. Either way, I think a new build for Christmas is a thing.

What is SC?

Pascal is going to be a ways off. I just upgraded my 970 SLI to a single 980 ti for VR and its super nice. There is definitely something to be said for getting a matured platform, rather then something new. They've fixed manufacturing defects, the heat sink designs are better, there's less driver issues. The 900 series is also a really power efficient and cool platform relative to previous iterations. We don't know ANYTHING about pascal except some rumors about the titan successor.

Also not really sure the point of 980 ti SLI right now. At 2560x1440 most everything I have runs at ultra 60+fps. Even at 4k, the bottlenecks on lesser cards tend to be VRAM, which the 980 ti excels at (6gb gddr5 high bandwidth) aka joe is dumbzo

Pascal is going to be a ways off. I just upgraded my 970 SLI to a single 980 ti for VR and its super nice. There is definitely something to be said for getting a matured platform, rather then something new. They've fixed manufacturing defects, the heat sink designs are better, there's less driver issues. The 900 series is also a really power efficient and cool platform relative to previous iterations. We don't know ANYTHING about pascal except some rumors about the titan successor.

Also not really sure the point of 980 ti SLI right now. At 2560x1440 most everything I have runs at ultra 60+fps. Even at 4k, the bottlenecks on lesser cards tend to be VRAM, which the 980 ti excels at (6gb gddr5 high bandwidth) aka joe is dumbzo
Yeah I suppose there is no rush to get it yet so I can wait until they announce and we see some benchmarks. Worst case prices drop because of it. But yes I want it now lol

Last edited:
I think you should just get the 980 and do it up. If you keep waiting for the next biggest thing in computer stuff, you'll be waiting forever since it moves so quickly, as you know.

Top Bottom