What's new

Video Games Bleeding into Real Life

Zakis

War Priestess
So while I was wasting away this beautiful day sitting in a gym before defensive tactics class, we began to discuss our jail and the many dangers faced in the jail and on transports. Talk of transports led to someone mentioning a story concerning a certain pair of scumbag gunmen who utilized rescue tactics pulled from military shooters. I am currently attempting to find an article concerning any of this. Basically what was said was one of the gunman took a round or two from police and his buddy slung him over his shoulder in a fireman rescue carry, returning fire with his free hand and slowly retreating to cover. Obviously this is a negative example of video games influencing real life, skills, abilities or actions.

It got me thinking about other ways things in games have improved people's skills and abilities. Games are not only an art and media form but they can be used for learning as well. We as gamers know this, but the general public usually dismisses such things or simply doesn't know. Some games contain advanced and complicated puzzle solving, military tactics, teamwork, and management hurdles to name a few. I am sure some of us have heard stories of people using raiding in WoW or another MMO as a resume reference to said individual's management skills. While we could sit and debate the level of learning involved and if it translates completely, the fact is organizing a raid or hell even platoons in a game like Planetside 2 takes some patience and organization.

I can attest that I myself have been improved by video games. My hand-eye coordination and overall ambidexterity has definitely improved as a result of PC gaming. My knowledge of certain tactics has also increased from games like Planetside, while tactics learned outside the game have improved my gameplay as a virtual soldier. Just last night the Vindicators had Outfit Operations with one platoon leader coordinating 4 squads or 48 people; and this is while utilizing combined arms of infantry, armor and aircraft. Some outfits run multiple platoons working together on the same continent. We clear buildings with squads and smaller fire-teams within those squads. We try to utilize fields and lanes of fire and military maneuvers such as flanking. I apply what I learn from my law enforcement job into clearing a base in Planetside and Planetside helps me improve team coordination and communication, which I apply back to my job during training and everyday operations.

One could also suggest that games involving intense puzzle solving give your brain a workout. I would also argue that a game such as Minecraft definitely allows your imagination to flourish, your design skills to sharpen and puts your problem-solving skills to the test. Games such as the Tomb Raider series require coordination, timing and patience with some serious puzzles. It also requires you not to get distracted by boobies.

Steering back on topic, there are also negative influences on real life from gaming. One thing being its impact on physical health, but this seems to be getting remedied as we strive to immerse ourselves more and more into the games we love. Another debatable impact is unsavory characters putting those tactics and training learned from games to nefarious use as opposed to using it for good, like me.

Anyway what are your thoughts as gamers? Do you agree? Have you personally experienced games having a direct influence on your life?

Top Bottom