What's new

Whatcha got against FPS games?

I really like FPS was playing Blacklight for quite awhile but games like Tom Clancy, Medal of honor ect just started felling like the same game over and over with a little better graphics and some tweaks to the map, might give BF4 a try but im still undecided

This is why I stick to the battlefield series and did play Planetside 2....had to quit though.

A shooter for me needs:

Strong Team gameplay

Large Strategic Gameplay

Vehicles if possible

Engrossing audio/visual

Trolls dont bother me for the most part. I agree things can be a lot more toxic these days depending on the game and/or server. If I find I am not doing well or getting frustrated with things I step away for a few hours. Besides we have a great community here so playing with each other makes things 10x better. Honestly, listing trolls or other people as a reason for not playing a game is weak. Thats like saying you won't own a car or drive because everyone else is an asshole. Just my opinion.

This is why I stick to the battlefield series and did play Planetside 2....had to quit though.

A shooter for me needs:

Strong Team gameplay

Large Strategic Gameplay

Vehicles if possible

Engrossing audio/visual

Trolls dont bother me for the most part. I agree things can be a lot more toxic these days depending on the game and/or server. If I find I am not doing well or getting frustrated with things I step away for a few hours. Besides we have a great community here so playing with each other makes things 10x better. Honestly, listing trolls or other people as a reason for not playing a game is weak. Thats like saying you won't own a car or drive because everyone else is an asshole. Just my opinion.

I played Planet Side 2 for a little but didn't have any people to play with so quite, deffenitly a game to play with freinds/group. As for trolls i could care less your going to find them in every single game you play just have to find a way to deal with them.

I actually enjoy watching FPS even though I'm not a player, so I'll jump on a stream if I see one.

I like watching people play FPS games as well. Specially BF3 very engrossing.

However nothing will ever beat the feeling I get when I have my headphones on, and the impacts hit all around me and I hear footsteps, turn and shoot the baddie.

I love the level of engrossment from FPS games. I do get tired of the maps though when players decide to just rotate one over and over. I like variety :)

I started a serious love for games when 007 came out. I mean I had the sega and sonic and all that shit but 007 ate my life. :)

The issues I do have with FPS games is it ultimately is supposed to be teamplay, but often you are just in the same mumble channel, soloing it, because of the lack of peripheral immersion. I don't ever really KNOW if someone is there. It is a lot like baseball in that sense, where every player has to be able to hold their own. But when you do find that mix... oh man the fun and organization.

Driving and flying is good for teamplay.

Ok, it has been bugging me for a good long while now. I am calling out to all Tabbers and community people here. I have noticed a continuing attitude of 'meh' towards shooters in general from a lot of people here. I hear a lot of "I could never get into shooters" or "Its not really for me". I never really had a straight answer from anyone as to why.

I mean we have a large group of people here that play a LOT of games over a myriad of genres. Yet, there is a distinct lack of FPS games in that mix. While our Blacklight weekends tend to be pretty popular, there are only a handful of Tabbers that seem to have interest in playing shooters regularly.

So, do you enjoy FPS games? If you don't please elaborate as to why? If you have never tried them, would you be interested? I want details, no random excuses.

For me it's because there are so many of them and so many constant remakes that you "must" hop onto the newest one or be left on old servers with low population. CoD is popular for this, it's fun for a couple weeks then it is boring.

I think back in college I played CoD2 maybe (can't remember) in a clan with my roommate which was fun. I have BF3, played it like 3 times maybe.

I just am not the biggest fan of competitive games. Seems to bring out the worst in people. I do enjoy playing some solo or co-op FPS games though. It's just, modern FPS games tend to focus more on the multiplayer and you get 5 to 10 hours of a storyline to play through.

I just tend to lean toward fantasy or cartoony games. Usually rpg's or action adventure. Plus for some reason I really enjoy playing 3rd person. I even play Skyrim in 3rd person. I did try Dirge of Cerberus, but honestly, I'm no good at them. XD

I just tend to lean toward fantasy or cartoony games. Usually rpg's or action adventure. Plus for some reason I really enjoy playing 3rd person. I even play Skyrim in 3rd person. I did try Dirge of Cerberus, but honestly, I'm no good at them. XD

You can play Skyrim in 3rd person? I might be interested to try that then.

I absolutely loved FPS back in school, used to always get a bunch of friends together for CS or later on CoD. But FPS are only really fun to me when you got friends or a team of people you know and can communicate too, that's when gaming reaches a whole different level for me, so these days I haven't really gotten into them again. So if a bunch of people are set on a game, let us know, I certainly would jump on!

For me, I like pvp, but not shooters! I think part of it is the pace of the game and how unskilled I am at them. I have played blacklight and I find the whole gun thing confusing and it looks like PTW which really makes me not want to play at all. I don't think there is much excuse to why we don't play other then there are loads of games out there that all of us enjoy. And because there is soo much out there to play the interest for MMO players (most of us are) in shooters is minimal

For me, I like pvp, but not shooters! I think part of it is the pace of the game and how unskilled I am at them. I have played blacklight and I find the whole gun thing confusing and it looks like PTW which really makes me not want to play at all. I don't think there is much excuse to why we don't play other then there are loads of games out there that all of us enjoy. And because there is soo much out there to play the interest for MMO players (most of us are) in shooters is minimal

Yeah, we don't have a lot of people lining up to play Madden or Forza either. Different genres appeal to different types of gamers. I think MMO/FPS might have more crossover since they are action and group oriented, though.

I think it depends on which generation of MMO you come from. If you are from earl adoption WoW or later FPS games probably don't appeal to you. If you are earlier than WoW FPS games are probably your shiznit.

Then again.. WoW(late adopter) or later might ALSO mean you didn't consider mmo's to be socially acceptable but FPS games were so you might love them.

I think it depends on which generation of MMO you come from. If you are from earl adoption WoW or later FPS games probably don't appeal to you. If you are earlier than WoW FPS games are probably your shiznit.

Then again.. WoW(late adopter) or later might ALSO mean you didn't consider mmo's to be socially acceptable but FPS games were so you might love them.

Yeah, RPG's seem to be getting most of the negative attention in recent years. Grand Theft Auto, which is more RPG than shooter, and WoW, which has been blamed for causing addiction and brainwashing, have gotten bad press. But the massacres taking place in CoD and other FPS's have largely been ignored. At least since the last time school shootings were partially blamed on them.

Is there some reason we don't have a BF3 or CoD team playing together? It doesn't have to be super competitive or anything.

Is there some reason we don't have a BF3 or CoD team playing together? It doesn't have to be super competitive or anything.

Lack of interest usually. But if you want to setup an event I know I and Zakis will be there for sure :)

I like FPS games that aren't team/squad based. I can handle myself in something like TF2 or CoD because you can still play on your own and be able to do just fine. Now I've never played anything like Battlefield but I feel like it's too large scale for me to enjoy it. I tried Planetside 2 and again I just couldn't get a hang for it.

I prefer a game like Unreal Tournament, TF2, Halo, CoD, etc.

I think the problem most people have with fps games is that fps multiplayer isn't something you can just pick up and be good at, especially if you have no prior fps experience. Unless you have people to play with the road to getting better is an uphill battle with players at the top throwing insults down at you rather than a helping hand. When I get into a new shooter the first thing I look for is a good group of people to play with. It's probably the only reason I have played Planetside 2 for as long as I did.

The reasons I personally dislike playing fps games competitively is that it usually revolves around knowing how to abuse netcode and limiting yourself to the few cheesy weapons/builds. I have played Rainbow Six 3/Black Arrow, RB6:Vegas 1/2, Halo2, and CoD MW 1/2 at the competitive level but for the past five or six years I pretty much stopped playing fps games altogether. Recently I have been looking for something to play while waiting for the next big mmo. I have been having a lot of fun in Planetside 2 and just started to play some BF3 again. If anyone sets something up for BF3 or BF4 I'd like to get in on that.

I think the problem most people have with fps games is that fps multiplayer isn't something you can just pick up and be good at, especially if you have no prior fps experience. Unless you have people to play with the road to getting better is an uphill battle with players at the top throwing insults down at you rather than a helping hand. When I get into a new shooter the first thing I look for is a good group of people to play with. It's probably the only reason I have played Planetside 2 for as long as I did.

The reasons I personally dislike playing fps games competitively is that it usually revolves around knowing how to abuse netcode and limiting yourself to the few cheesy weapons/builds. I have played Rainbow Six 3/Black Arrow, RB6:Vegas 1/2, Halo2, and CoD MW 1/2 at the competitive level but for the past five or six years I pretty much stopped playing fps games altogether. Recently I have been looking for something to play while waiting for the next big mmo. I have been having a lot of fun in Planetside 2 and just started to play some BF3 again. If anyone sets something up for BF3 or BF4 I'd like to get in on that.

We will definitely have a group playing BF4! I agree with competition these days as I haven't played like that in a while. I do still harbor that thirst for stategic, hardcore gameplay though. I can't really help it sometimes.

We will definitely have a group playing BF4! I agree with competition these days as I haven't played like that in a while. I do still harbor that thirst for stategic, hardcore gameplay though. I can't really help it sometimes.

I've been looking for a good FPS to throw into the mix for a F2P game night. Blacklight Retribution seems like a good choice, but I want something that almost anyone can jump right into and understand. I thought the game had a bit of a learning curve at first. I'm also a big fan of TF2, but it might be difficult setting up matches without running our own server.

Any suggestions?

Top Bottom