What's new

WHY ANET WHY?

ShewhoShallNotBeNamed

Queen of [Hearts]
First off let me say, I'm enjoying this forums because I "enjoy" ranting. Feels good brah! :p

Inc verbal vomit.

I'm sooo pissed at Arena Net, their empty promises, and their business model. I don't care what everyone else thinks I just want to vent about why this is bad for me.

I have never been as excited for a game as GW2, everything that happened since launch has bothered me to no end. The endless bugs, the exploits, the botting, the TP market, the no-trading, the cash shop, it goes on and on. Maybe I'm just hard to please, but I love this game so much. I just hate to feel like I'm putting my trust in the wrong place.

My biggest problem with them right now is the Halloween event. It really bothers me. This game is not based on gear or end game and really just based on aesthetics. So no, I don't NEED this stuff to play this game, but that is why I play it in the first place. I want to get these items and get these limited time things. Yes it does make me feel special and yes it is enjoyable. As a collector of costumes and armor sets and mini pets, the way they're handling this is aggravating to say the least. Let's start with #1.

THIS FUCKING RNG BLACK LION CHEST BULL SHIT FOR HALLOWEEN SKINS.

Really ruins the game for me. I have issues with gambling that are more personal and hits really close to home. That's a topic for another thread. Point is I hate gambling soooo much but I'm prone to doing it once I get invested. The biggest problem is, my luck is horrendous and it makes it hard for me to stop one I start. So I try not to start. They make it so easy to start. Everything in the game is RNG based. Loot bags, why can't mobs just drop xyz loot? I get it is unrealistic, but so is a wolf carrying a spear. It's loot, just get rid of loot bags and just leave it at that. The personalized Halloween T-o-T bags. Really? Is this just a way to get rid of the influx of all the candy corn? If I want an everlasting elixir why can't I make one also? Maybe a way to farm mats for it so that if you have horrible luck, you can eventually get it with Halloween items.

WHY IS THERE FOOD IN THOSE BAGS? FOR FLAVOR? WHAT DO THEY DO? MAKE OTHER FOOD? NO ONE BUYS THEM. NO ONE EATS THEM. THERE IS AN EQUIVALENT TO IT WITH JUST REGULAR CRAFTING ITEMS. PEOPLE CAN STILL MAKE THEM IF THEY'RE A CHEF SO WHY ARE THEY IN THOSE BAGS. THERE ARE LIKE TEN DIFFERENT KINDS OF FOOD TAKING UP MY LIMITED INVENTORY. SERIOUSLY ANET? SERIOUSLY? PUMPKIN COOKIES AND GLAZED PUMPKIN COOKIES AND GLAZED PUMPKIN COOKIES WITH SPRINKLES? MAKE THEM ONE ITEM KTHX /endcaps

And even then the BLCs are still the worst. 1% chance of getting any skin, yet they don't tell anyone there is a 1% chance. Even scratch off tickets and any lotto ticket will tell you the odds of winning. Why is it that they don't tell you what you can get out of a chest and at what percentage? BECAUSE THEY JUST WANT MONEY FROM PEOPLE WHO ARE WILLING TO SPEND MONEY? I feel like people who will spend money will spend money even if this isn't in the game. This RNG crap just makes people feel like shit when they try and spend a ton of money and get zilch. Yes it is gambling, yes there is a risk, but just like RL gambling makes you feel like shit when you lose. This does too. And don't even say that they're trying to make it up by adding in the halloween boxes. That is serious a slap in the face. They have the same percentages, and instead of getting things you can use and keep, you can get candy corn for consuming things that you can use/keep. The tonics and boosters can be shitty, but they're still worth more than turning them into candy corn.

Why couldn't they just make it so that the skins were buyable? It is a holiday skin, it shouldn't be rare as hell. So what if people ran around with it? I would buy all the skins and probably end up spending more money than I would now because RNG boxes bother me. If they gave the skins a week/month timer and made it common drops in separate halloween boxes, I wouldn't mind that. Everyone would have them for the halloween event and it'd be gone after. Maybe even sell a permanent version for a much higher price.

Bottom line is that I don't agree where they're going with the RNG dominating everything in this game.

Yes I know they added in a lot of new content. Bosses, Mini-dungeons, Jumping puzzles, and achieves on top of the halloween events. But when you have a game that's really based around aesthetics, it boggles me that they would make the aesthetics the most frustrating part of gameplay.

I'm not bitching about spending money, I have a job and I do have some expendable income. Gambling is my biggest issue when it comes to getting something I actually want/like.

I don't NEED to play the game, no one NEEDS to play a game, but since I enjoy this game and I WANT to play it doesn't it make sense that I WANT certain things that are attainable without luck?

I can bitch about so much more but this is my biggest problem with the direction the game is heading in. This is just for my hate for BLCs and their solution to the wrong problem causing more problems on top of the regular problems.

Anet has abandoned the stat treadmill for an aesthetic treadmill.

I think it does come down to the money in the end. Doesn't it always?

Aesthetics were always important to me in most of the games I've played. It just really hurts when a game milks the aesthetics and says it's "not necessary" in gameplay :<

Aesthetics were always important to me in most of the games I've played. It just really hurts when a game milks the aesthetics and says it's "not necessary" in gameplay :<

My favorite part of these games is my looks. From moment one I started redying my gear every 10 minutes. ( also trying to find the most hideous combinations of dyes haha). Aesthetics is the part of the game I enjoy best!

Just a heads up on the bag food. If you use it, you do have a chance to transform into something (non-tonic). I'm a ghost currently, completely transparent, and can fight.

Just a heads up on the bag food. If you use it, you do have a chance to transform into something (non-tonic). I'm a ghost currently, completely transparent, and can fight.

Omg that is actually really good to know, I will save them in the small amount of slots i have left lawl

Omg that is actually really good to know, I will save them in the small amount of slots i have left lawl
Haha no problem. I eat all of the random candy for the food eating achievement anyways. That's when I discovered the random transforms.

I agree with everything you said Kali. I was actually having a small conversation with Gyoin about how the whole acquisition of these rare holiday items intimidated the hell out of me. I HATE gambling as well, just for the fact that I consider money too limited to use as "play' money on "chances". That translates into game too, yet I'm still poor.

I'm looking past it. I was going to actually buy some BLC keys to try my luck at scoring a skin, but when I heard how shitty the odds were on reddit I decided not to. For the first holiday event, I'm just enjoying the small things like pumpkin carving, halloween hunting, the decorations of LA, etc., but when I realize that I will be missing out on some cool-looking stuff it does kind of ruin the enjoyment the event is supposed to have. I'm wondering if they'll do this again for Thanksgiving or Christmas. If they are, I won't be that excited for it.

Top Bottom