What's new

Wtf...no more IDE?

Claark

When did they stop putting IDE ports on motherboards!! Ugh? I miss the good ole days when you could upgrade ONE component at a time....so no.....my video card upgrade, now means I need a new board but, its a different socket type...so now i need a new processor, and oh your memory won't work either.....RAM.....get it all ordered and in...but oh no....no more FLIPPING IDE.....sigh. I sure as hell hope my 700w PSU can keep up because after tomorrow (when I go to frys and get yet ANOTHER component) if it doesn't.....I just might kill someone.

claark.endRant()

I love that HDD Docking Bay, so easy to use. :D

As for the SSD, how big are you going?

Eh....I'll have to see when I get to Frys. I'm thinking 128. I just use my PC for games, my real work is done on my MAC. So I think that would be sufficient, but I MAY....big may.....get a smaller boot drive and pick up a really fast SATA for gamed and such. Just gonna have to see whats on sale at Frys.

I bought a 256GB Samsung SSD over the Boxing Day weekend. Some recommendations for SSDs is the Samsung 840/830, Kingston HyperX, OCZ Vertex 4, and Intel 520 are all good SSDs. However they might be expensive. The OCZ Agility series is also a good bang for the buck SSD.

When did they stop putting IDE ports on motherboards!! Ugh? I miss the good ole days when you could upgrade ONE component at a time....so no.....my video card upgrade, now means I need a new board but, its a different socket type...so now i need a new processor, and oh your memory won't work either.....RAM.....get it all ordered and in...but oh no....no more FLIPPING IDE.....sigh. I sure as hell hope my 700w PSU can keep up because after tomorrow (when I go to frys and get yet ANOTHER component) if it doesn't.....I just might kill someone.

claark.endRant()

700 Watts is more than enough. It was overkill for your current computer.

Why did a video card need IDE?

Don't get an SSD as a bootup device it is stupid and a waste of money (reason: you boot faster, and MAYBE get a 3% increase in speed as opposed to an actually SSD for it all where you get 100% increase)

I sure as hell hope you know certain power supplies have certain power pin connectors, so the motherboard has to match your power supply, plus the socket of the CPU does too as well as how many sticks of ram you can hold. For instance 4 2 gig cards for 8 gigs doesn't work on all mother board but 2 4 gig sticks for 8 will. But then some Motherboards do 3 sticks of ram instead of 2 or 4.

Why am I telling you this? Because I feel like you REALLLY need to figure out the parts you need to put together BEFORE you go to frys and pick the sale items.

Can;t return a burnt CPU. Just sayin...

Oh and THERMAL PASTE. For your CPU, keep it cool. Without it.... BOOM FIZZLE SMOKE!

700 Watts is more than enough. It was overkill for your current computer.

Why did a video card need IDE?

Don't get an SSD as a bootup device it is stupid and a waste of money (reason: you boot faster, and MAYBE get a 3% increase in speed as opposed to an actually SSD for it all where you get 100% increase)

I sure as hell hope you know certain power supplies have certain power pin connectors, so the motherboard has to match your power supply, plus the socket of the CPU does too as well as how many sticks of ram you can hold. For instance 4 2 gig cards for 8 gigs doesn't work on all mother board but 2 4 gig sticks for 8 will. But then some Motherboards do 3 sticks of ram instead of 2 or 4.

Why am I telling you this? Because I feel like you REALLLY need to figure out the parts you need to put together BEFORE you go to frys and pick the sale items.

Can;t return a burnt CPU. Just sayin...

Oh and THERMAL PASTE. For your CPU, keep it cool. Without it.... BOOM FIZZLE SMOKE!

I always have thermal paste on hand. (Works on xboxes too) :)

I was a computer nerd MANY moons ago. Just WAY WAY WAY out of practice. Its much more fun being a chef and owning a mac. :p

Untill I want to play games that is....sigh. But All is well. Box is back up and running and As soon as I benchmark it for my friend back in TX I'll be back online!

Top Bottom