What's new

AltTabMe says Goodbye to Guild Wars 2

tr1age

Administrator
Staff member
Guild Wars 2 was a great medium for us all to show we have a love for games, enjoy playing together, and stregnthen our community. However the thread that bound the game and the user together was thin and frayed. Through months of a game that literally felt like it was slowly draining the life of our community, I have bitter sweet news to deliver.

Arcanix[ARX] is being put to rest in Guild Wars 2.

What does that mean?

We will keep the guild up and allow anyone who is still active to make use of the influence and bounties to run their own events using any resources we have including the forums etc to organize said events, but all of the officers including myself are stepping down from doing these events and having an active role in the guild.​

Why?

We feel that the game itself is no longer fun. And this community is based on FUN. Not only that but thetransitory nature of GW2 removes the idea of guild cooperation, events, and group building(through the lack of in game tools, objectives, carrots on sticks, mechanics that make your gameplay feel co-op and not single player, and overall lack of "bigger goals for the group"). Instead of trying to continuously revive a dead horse via bounties that turned into "farm for badges every Sunday", we have decided to allow GW2 be what it is designed to be, the patch jumping, no sub, extremely casual game.​

What does this mean for Members?

We hope this won't effect anyone's love for the friendships and community this game has allows us to spark up. But we also understand if this is the game you wish to pursue and will not hinder that in any way. Understand though that we will no longer be actively recruiting, running events, or making podcasts for GW2. If you still wish to do this, you will need to organize them on an individual basis.​

What does this mean for ALTTABME?

Honestly we believe this is a GREAT thing for ALTTABME. It frees us from the stigma that we "can't get people to log in" to GW2 thus making us look unorganized or aloof. I truly believe this game just garnered that kinda of feeling across so many others. Tales of Tyria stopped podcasting in GW2 a month back and pulled their guild of 500 as well. The major competing guilds did the same as well. This game made it so hard to run a guild, I and the officers can't even begin to tell you. So we are happy to focus our efforts on other games, forum games, and the community of ALTTABME!​
Are you doing this because of Wildstar?

I know this is going to come up so let's clear this up quickly. We are a multi gaming community. Wildstar is showing potential so we are excited, but we are not going to pigeon hole ourselves into one game. The reason we built this community up is so we truly would be "The Community that OUTLASTS Release Dates".
So understand, forum participation and communication will be the #1 priority for keeping membership in guilds we start in any game in the future.

And with that all being said. It is with a heavy heart that we say our final goodbyes to our Arcanix Chapter in Guild Wars 2. We want to thank everyone who helped make the experience in GW2 lasting and fun. We look forward to playing with you all in whatever games the future has in store for us. This will put the Arcanix name to bed. We will continue out our days in the games we play as [TAB] The AltTabMe Guild!
YAKTOPUS POWER ONE LAST TIME!
y5zCTuJ.jpg
Y1YtY.jpg
cO7QS.jpg
soZLA.jpg
qfsqZ.jpg
WeZEu.jpg
4pdUs.jpg
su3sn.jpg
5zUxL.jpg
jFPtr.jpg

It's a shame that GW2 didn't meet our longterm expectations, but what's been said is true. I haven't logged on in what feels like months, and quite frankly I don't miss it. I'll probably pop on to check how my investments do, but reality is I have no want or need to play.

If there are people who legit want to run bounties and treks and all that fun stuff, talk to me. I'll get you set up with the influence purchases and make sure you don't waste what little influence we have nowadays.

Also, let me say that the end of "Arcanix" is probably a bit heavier for me than anyone else... Following that tag has been with me for about eight years, and now I can fully dedicate myself to all of our future guilds/clans/families of TAB.

It's a shame that GW2 didn't meet our longterm expectations, but what's been said is true. I haven't logged on in what feels like months, and quite frankly I don't miss it. I'll probably pop on to check how my investments do, but reality is I have no want or need to play.

If there are people who legit want to run bounties and treks and all that fun stuff, talk to me. I'll get you set up with the influence purchases and make sure you don't waste what little influence we have nowadays.

Also, let me say that the end of "Arcanix" is probably a bit heavier for me than anyone else... Following that tag has been with me for about eight years, and now I can fully dedicate myself to all of our future guilds/clans/families of TAB.

Agreed. Great memories here, and what was the start of something epic. The beginning of ALTTABME as we know it today. Knowing Tristan had this vision for a while now and being able to be a part of the successful vision this time around is awesome. So farewell GW2 and let us look towards the future!

I'm disappointed, but I admit that I'm one of the few members still somewhat invested in the game. There's not enough to capture our interest, and I think the way Bounties are set up really killed a lot of our drive. I still wanted to try Treks, but by now I can see that's not gonna happen. We need more fractals and better reasons to do what little endgame there is.

Maybe in the future, they'll make guild support more robust and put together more social features like housing, guild halls, and guild battles. In the meantime, I'll keep plugging away and enjoying what I can, and looking for a job before I have to start paying WildStar's subscription fee.

I'm disappointed, but I admit that I'm one of the few members still somewhat invested in the game. There's not enough to capture our interest, and I think the way Bounties are set up really killed a lot of our drive. I still wanted to try Treks, but by now I can see that's not gonna happen. We need more fractals and better reasons to do what little endgame there is.
Well, there is still the beauty of GW2 that we can always COME BACK if we want to and if there is something more to offer. Just right now, we were playing the patch game. Now the patches don't even interest us. If there happened to be a lot of PvP revamp of many more game modes and maps, I'd be more inclined to play. If there became some form of team aspect that was easier to do on a whim rather than planned, I'd be interested in playing.

Sadly I don't see that happening.

Well, there is still the beauty of GW2 that we can always COME BACK if we want to and if there is something more to offer.
Looking back at the original GW, the addons added a lot of new content, game modes and new game mechanics to the mix. If they're heading in the same direction with GW2, I'm absolutely sure that I will be playing the game again in the future.

Looking back at the original GW, the addons added a lot of new content, game modes and new game mechanics to the mix. If they're heading in the same direction with GW2, I'm absolutely sure that I will be playing the game again in the future.

Let's hope the future is bright for them, because there was so much damn potential. I just know that the bad taste left in my mouth after playing and trusting and believing is something that as all the officers agreed to, needed to be stepped away from and come back to at a later time, IF they can pull out some good content that isn't just a promise or making the game we already leveled through "polished" and a "better experience". To me that was the biggest kick to the nuts. The fact that had I got the game months after release I would have had the same end game dilemmas but the leveling and world would have been more fun. But then again it would have been an emptier world where dragon spawn timers are delegated by websites and calculations rather than a "living breathing world".

The amount of times it was required to go to the internet and have a website open, while playing the game, TO play the game made me very unhappy.

I don't remember doing that in any other game I ever played other than to look up the stats on loot or something of that regard. Even the fights and trying to explain their mechanics were muddled due to no defined role in a group.

Oh well, I loved it while it lasted and I am truly excited to have met so many amazing people and having ALTTABME to come to everyday and enjoy LIFE with.

/cheers

I think, as a community, this is the right decision. However, as an individual, I still enjoy running about in Tyria (which I've pretty much done solo the whole time anyway, just by nature of how I play) and I will still be available to help or tail along with anyone who does still want to meet up in GW2.

I love AltTabMe, the friends I've made here, participating in the forums, etc. I am not worried as we retire from games as a group... because such is life. When it is no longer fun, it is no longer gaming imo.

I look forward to all the various other games and activities we will partake in together. But like an old friend that passes on to other things, or other places, it is always with some sadness saying goodbye to what you once shared.

Can't wait to see some new podcasts from you guys too! Bring back the chicken hat!!!

This really bums me out. I missed the beta fun and early game stuff you guys did. I still enjoy playing GW2 a lot, but I haven't been making any progress. I don't have guildies to do things with most of the time. I'm still on fractal level 9 and slowly working towards a legendary weapon. I don't have any ascended gear yet. I got really sick of pugs being terrible or bailing during a run, so I kind of just stopped running things.

I'm not the "leader" type. I wanted to be a WoW officer in the past, but I got tired of being picked over and ignored. I resigned myself to being a bit of a peon and just doing the best I could. Real life and age has snuck up on me to where I don't have the time or energy to dedicate to running events and such anymore. BUT- if anyone were to pick up that mantle and want assistance, I can probably do that. And if others want to plan events or dungeon runs, etc., I'd show up as much as I could.

Wildstar looks a little interesting, but I'm sick of hopping MMO trains and getting hyped over nothing. If I get into beta, I'll try it out. I'm very picky about what kind of games I invest my time into. I generally don't do things half-assed. MMOs are something you spend a lot of time in, and therefore want to stay there or the effort is "wasted." Changing MMOs every few months or year is not something I want to do.

As far as other games go, for the most part shooters are boring and stressful to me, and I like my fantasy to be tolkien-esque or at least medieval. Sci-fi usually doesn't tickle my fancy. It seems like a lot of the games you guys are into now are games I'm just not interested in. This bums me out too.

I guess I'll still plug away as a forum entity for the time being, but it seems like a lot of the people here don't even know who I am or can't tell the difference between me and someone else, heh.

Hope we can all have fun together soon. -brucecry-

I guess I'll still plug away as a forum entity for the time being, but it seems like a lot of the people here don't even know who I am or can't tell the difference between me and someone else, heh.

Hope we can all have fun together soon. -brucecry-
Aww Zev <3 That post really bummed me out. I feel bad now. We know there are still people playing, and we don't want these people to feel left out. We just wanted to make it aware that most of the officers and the majority of the players aren't, and we've been trying to force ourselves to keep something alive that very well isn't (for the majority).

Keep in touch with me about FFXIV! I know that's a bit more your style :)

but it seems like a lot of the people here don't even know who I am or can't tell the difference between me and someone else, heh.

I know who you are! And you were one of the few who actually still came to all events and that was great! If you want to host some events we all supporting of it :) But it isn't fair for those of us who lost interest in the game to continue to run events that majority of people aren't interested in and feel more like a chore than a fun time. And I don't blame anyone. I put a lot of the reasoning behind it on the way GW2 is structured. It just isn't structured for long term group play.

Also:

Wildstar looks a little interesting, but I'm sick of hopping MMO trains and getting hyped over nothing. If I get into beta, I'll try it out. I'm very picky about what kind of games I invest my time into. I generally don't do things half-assed. MMOs are something you spend a lot of time in, and therefore want to stay there or the effort is "wasted." Changing MMOs every few months or year is not something I want to do.

Are you doing this because of Wildstar?

I know this is going to come up so let's clear this up quickly. We are a multi gaming community. Wildstar is showing potential so we are excited, but we are not going to pigeon hole ourselves into one game. The reason we built this community up is so we truly would be "The Community that OUTLASTS Release Dates".
So understand, forum participation and communication will be the #1 priority for keeping membership in guilds we start in any game in the future.

I hate MMO hopping. I think I have also made it very clear we are not going to Hype Wildstar into the ground. Most thoughts on it will be reserved for beta and release. I am a one character, one game kinda person. But unfortunately GW2 isn't that game. I too love the Fantasy Genre and it saddens me that GW2 couldn't fill that void, even with it's beauty and innovation.[/quote]

cheers to everyone who was part of the GW2 experience. im so glad we had this even if it did unfortunately trail off shortly after the first few months. i still enjoy running round in GW2 but its like whats been said.
and zev i know who you are don't be sad we went on quite a few escapades together. my armour is still pretty and bright and colourful and i will be continueing logging on from time to time to see whats new and look at the pretty scenery but for me the game was more about the people to play with than the game on its own if im honest.
i really hope that people will stay and play and laugh and just be silly together. mumble party go!

for me the game was more about the people to play with than the game on its own if im honest.

We all agree with this statement. This is the major flaw of what GW2 is. It doesn't allow for that sentiment while ALSO playing the game. There is nothing to facilitate a group experience where people want to come together. Running around Lions Arch as a group can only get ya so far :)

Here's the the future!

OMG No way Zev! I know exactly who you are :) -- the gal I fondly refer to as CERVIX on Mumble. ROFL. I would be really bummed if you weren't around the forums. You share my appreciation for Dave Grohl and we seem pretty sympatico in so many other ways. I love when you post... so please, don't stop that. Although I'm inept at running dungeons, and becoming legendary -- aside from my legendary clumsiness trait -- I am more than happy to help you in world or doing whatever. I'm not very good at FPS, Sci-Fi games either. As I've stated lots before the motion sickness gets the better of me. It even would in GW2 if I didn't move at a snails pace, LOL.

So *hugs*, and know you are not just some random, unidentifiable, pretty face in the community. :) You are much more!

Thanks for the kind words guys and gal. I didn't mean to hijack or seem so emo. My social life is mostly online, so when things get a little shaken up, I immediately become pessimistic. I really do hope we can all have fun together soon.

I'm pretty good at lying to myself, so I'll probably jump into Wildstar like everyone else despite what I've said. And yes, Triage, I know this isn't because of Wildstar, but that's probably where the majority of us will go to hang out together next. I'm just scared of another disappointment later on down that road- but we can always hope for the best.

Maybe in the coming weeks I can hop onto the Minecraft server and hope you guys don't get bored of that again too. :p

when things get a little shaken up, I immediately become pessimistic.

Maybe in the coming weeks I can hop onto the Minecraft server and hope you guys don't get bored of that again too. :p

I agree. I have seen many guilds break up over my time. But we are a damn community and we have been surviving without GW2 this long, whether we admit it or not. Making it official might actually have benefits of people feeling less inclined to "pretend" they are still playing and participate more here!

As for getting bored of things, I get bored of everything here and there. Just need to take some time off of shit sometimes haha. That is healthy! Otherwise ya burn out too fast and then you get explosive breakups and dismantling of friendships.

This to me feels organic and the proper way to go. Trust me we wouldn't have discussed this option if we thought it would be the stick that broke the camels back :)

I must admit, I saw this coming as the late night guildies slowly died off. It's been hard for me to even log on to do dailies this last week. Ah well, perhaps we'll consider resurrecting the guild when there's an expansion, but until then, RIP ARX.

I still wanted to try Treks, but by now I can see that's not gonna happen.
I tried treks last weekend. You are NOT missing anything. It was basically 'go to dulfy', WP and do a brief run. Consult list/chat to see what hasn't been done. Repeat. Obtain crap guild reward and no personal reward.

Guild Rush though - we could've had something there - if only it was possible to unlock them in a timely manner.

I feel like I kind of jumped on the ship halfway through and missed the best parts of beta and launch, but it was still good fun. Sometimes. When people were around. Of which I'm not entirely innocent.

I still poured countless hours into GW2 but alas, it just doesn't have staying power or that group feel, even when... grouping. The first few guild bounties were so much fun but they quickly became uhhhhm. We got the guy in the box again? FFFFFFUUUUUUU

And it's okay Zevrix, most of my social life is online as well and I too get worried whenever anything even remotely resembling drama happens. It's tough finding a new "home".
But we know who you are and it seems like we'll all be staying here a while longer *octo5*

I feel like I kind of jumped on the ship halfway through and missed the best parts of beta and launch, but it was still good fun.
But see, this was only one game! Being here a part of the community, you'll be a part of many more experiences! I mean, if you were to join any other guild in GW2 that dissipated in activity, would you have been able to talk to most of them outside of game? Maybe one or two, but not the whole guild! That's the beauty of alttabme.

THE COMMUNITY THAT OUTLASTS RELEASE DATES!

Top Bottom