What's new

Anime Conversion

Crake

୧༼ಠ益ಠ༽୨ Stronk
So I'm not huge into Anime, but I am trying to expand my lady's horizons a bit. I know there are a few series that I have loved since I was a kid, but I don't think they would be good for making the jump. So, that being said, what do you guys recommend as a series to introduce a set-in-their-ways girlfriend to the genre? I've shown her Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke; she seemed to enjoy Spirited Away.

Comedy anime is what got me started. I think Slayers was my first series. Full Metal Panic is another great comedy one that has a little drama as well.

Comedy anime is what got me started. I think Slayers was my first series. Full Metal Panic is another great comedy one that has a little drama as well.
I considered comedy, but I'm just worried she won't get the humor and dismiss at is 'stupid' you know? She's a tough one to crack. I'll look into the ones you've mentioned though!

Kiki's Delivery Service and Howl's Moving Castle are good along those same lines. If you really wanna get her hooked, you might have to watch some girly stuff like to-LOVE-ru (all guys love this anyway though) and of course, definitely try to get her to watch Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood. Most ladies will go for the FMA. Lastly, depending on what she likes, you might need to get her started on some slice of life animes, like K-ON (its about a music club) and Nichijou (slice of life comedy) before you throw her into the action anime frying pan.[DOUBLEPOST=1375736634,1375736571][/DOUBLEPOST]

Full metal panic is a great one. Slayers is okay, but you could also start with one like Excel Saga that makes fun of other types of anime instead.

Kiki's Delivery Service and Howl's Moving Castle are good along those same lines. If you really wanna get her hooked, you might have to watch some girly stuff like to-LOVE-ru (all guys love this anyway though) and of course, definitely try to get her to watch Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood. Most ladies will go for the FMA. Lastly, depending on what she likes, you might need to get her started on some slice of life animes, like K-ON (its about a music club) and Nichijou (slice of life comedy) before you throw her into the action anime frying pan.
Yeah FMA might not be up her block, but I definitely think the 'slice of life' stuff might be a good route. I think she's seen Howl's Moving Castle as well, though I don't recall how she felt about that one.
Full metal panic is a great one. Slayers is okay, but you could also start with one like Excel Saga that makes fun of other types of anime instead.
Same concern here, I don't think she'd get the humor if it is making fun of anime; she'd probably take it at face value.

Ahh, the first thing I'm going to say is, no matter what it is you decide to watch, make sure you watch it together. Gauge her interest and try a few different things. But as Kel said, comedy is the easiest way in.

For movie specifics -

Ponyo
Howl's Moving Castle
My Neighbor Totoro

These were all made by Studio Ghibli, same people that made Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away. They all have that childish charm and lovely art styles that you just can't get anywhere else. Japanese Disney is really the best way to describe them.

For series specifics -

Chobits - Gabrinarra loved this one. It's adorable, and it's in the direction of the future without being too "OMG FUTURE".

Ranma 1/2 - Funny, witty, martial arts, love story, AMAZING characters, it has it all. This was one of my first introductions with Caroline, and it really helped with making that connection. There are some boobs in it, but it's not crazy like current anime.

Sword Art Online - If she has any experience in the MMO world, you guys should give it a shot together. I'm all about the love story in this series. It is a bit actiony and a little over the top in terms of original premise, but she might enjoy it. I know Caroline did.

Tenchi Muyo / Tenchi Universe - It's technically a Harem anime, but it's actually pretty damn funny. I personally prefer Muyo, but my buddies all enjoy Universe more. And we don't talk about Tenchi in Tokyo.

Shuffle! - This one starts off kinda cute, but turns into a bit of a psychological drama. May be a bit rough as an entry level piece, but may show that anime is a bit more deep than it comes off to be.

These should be a good start and a bit of a few different styles without being over the top.

Romcoms would be a good start or the rest of studio ghibli stuff, there so many cant go wrong :)

Edit: Gyoin beat me to it haha

Ahh, the first thing I'm going to say is, no matter what it is you decide to watch, make sure you watch it together. Gauge her interest and try a few different things. But as Kel said, comedy is the easiest way in.

For movie specifics -

Ponyo
Howl's Moving Castle
My Neighbor Totoro

These were all made by Studio Ghibli, same people that made Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away. They all have that childish charm and lovely art styles that you just can't get anywhere else. Japanese Disney is really the best way to describe them.

For series specifics -

Chobits - Gabrinarra loved this one. It's adorable, and it's in the direction of the future without being too "OMG FUTURE".

Ranma 1/2 - Funny, witty, martial arts, love story, AMAZING characters, it has it all. This was one of my first introductions with Caroline, and it really helped with making that connection. There are some boobs in it, but it's not crazy like current anime.

Sword Art Online - If she has any experience in the MMO world, you guys should give it a shot together. I'm all about the love story in this series. It is a bit actiony and a little over the top in terms of original premise, but she might enjoy it. I know Caroline did.

Tenchi Muyo / Tenchi Universe - It's technically a Harem anime, but it's actually pretty damn funny. I personally prefer Muyo, but my buddies all enjoy Universe more. And we don't talk about Tenchi in Tokyo.

Shuffle! - This one starts off kinda cute, but turns into a bit of a psychological drama. May be a bit rough as an entry level piece, but may show that anime is a bit more deep than it comes off to be.

These should be a good start and a bit of a few different styles without being over the top.
Just knowing her I doubt she'd like SAO, Ranma, or Tenchi haha, but the others I don't know so I'll check them out. She liked Ponyo and Howl's Moving Castle, haven't seen My Neighbor Totoro.

I have some homework to do, thanks guys haha.

Fruits Basket.

I think this one would be right up her alley- humorous, but takes the relationship between characters seriously. Also, it definitely caters to females.

Also, Ranma 1/2, Shuffle!, and Chobits have boobies and fan service which can put lots of females off.

WON'T LIKE RANMA?!?! BLASPHEMY.

Everyone likes Ranma.
She's not everyone haha. I wasn't too huge on Ranma myself to be honest. :(
Fruits Basket.

I think this one would be right up her alley- humorous, but takes the relationship between characters seriously. Also, it definitely caters to females.

Also, Ranma 1/2, Shuffle!, and Chobits have boobies and fan service which can put lots of females off.
She is not put off by boobies and/or sexual innuendo at all. That's one plus haha

Fruits Basket.

Ahh, meant to say Fruits Basket, I never watched it but heard a lot of girls likes it.

But yeah, you're right, there is a lot of fan service. Not to the extreme that it is today though. And Keleynal , that actually worked in favor of Caroline, not against. So each woman is different :p

My girlfriend loved GTO (Great Teacher Onizuka) which is a great comedy!!! After her watching that she got into the Gundam Franchise , then into Evangelion....and now she watches pretty much all of it. I would agree though starting off with a comedy is probably the way to go.

Movie-wise, "Whisper of the Heart" is a nice "coming of age" anime. I found it very heartwarming. Watching it was like reliving adolescence through somebody else's eyes - foreign, but strangely familiar. It's one of my favorite anime, because it's so pure!

You could also give "Girl Who Leapt Through Time" a shot. It's warm, lighthearted, with just a touch of science fiction.

"Arrietty" is another lovely film. I didn't find the story as touching, but the entire movie's attention to detail made it delightful to watch!

It might help us if we knew what genre of stories or movies she enjoys. They make animes for all types, after all.

Well I actually got her to watch the first 3 episodes of FLCL IN JAPANESE and she seemed to enjoy it (did not expect that, I was drunk when I told her she had to watch it).

As for her personal tastes.. she likes chick stuff, she likes musical theatre, she likes old/classic movies (think Breakfast at Tiffany's). She watches some of the awful reality programs as well. She has no problem with nudity/hypersexuality/etc. FLCL was kind of a trial by fire to see if she could tolerate something totally over the top. I figured I'd work my way down instead of up.

I tried to get her into Trigun and she hated it. I'm sure Bebop would go over the same. I think I really need something that is oriented more toward character development. She also like weird cute things so that opens up some doors.

The most obvious choice for an anime for her is Bakuman then.
I thought this as well, but it really is about character development and then relationship (love story) second, no matter how strong the love story deepness really is (seriously fucking strong).

It would give a view of the manga/anime process and will open up the appreciation level.

Top Bottom