What's new

Blizzard delays next MMO until 2016, resets whole project!

A feature such as free form combat would not cause an entire production to shut down. That is a fluff, that is not a "feature". Yes it needs coding and AI to work with but it is not this GREAT feature that people make it out to be, it can be great if you program the AI right, or it can be a lazy feature. Either way no way would that shut down a production. That is like a week of work.

Art Story and Pacing, now that is the life blood. And that is something that gets worked on YEARS before anyone even sees the game and usually with only a handful of people coming up with stuff. Concept art, Concept story, Concept game design.

But then the production team ramps up FAST.
You would know the ins and outs of making a game better than I would, but it seems to me that revamping the whole way the game works would be a big deal.

You would know the ins and outs of making a game better than I would, but it seems to me that revamping the whole way the game works would be a big deal.

Combat being free form or not is def not the whole way a game works :) But yes it would be sizable. However not in a shut it down way, in a choice of hmmm I think we should have this, kinda way.

Blizzard likes to make SHINY. And something wasn't feeling right about the game.

I mean if anyone thinks Wildstar stopped them, they are probably wrong:

Mass Effect wins major awards, trumps SC3 release.
Torchlight 2 trumps Diablo 3 release.

But I wouldn't rule out the idea that it helped push them toward a decision.

But that just means the Behemoth is going to have less of a shock force when they do release next, allowing the fans to trickle out into other games for now. Which is good for other games!

So Blizzard has said earliest 2016. That means late 2017 if it's on normal Blizzard terms. I really felt that this years Blizzcon was predicated on the announcement of the next great MMO from Blizzard. I felt like they were going to at least let us know what it was, but maybe be vague on some of the details. I don't think a new WoW or Diablo expansion will be enough at this point. The fan base has been dropping rapidly and Blizzard needs to do something to stay competitive.

So Blizzard has said earliest 2016. That means late 2017 if it's on normal Blizzard terms. I really felt that this years Blizzcon was predicated on the announcement of the next great MMO from Blizzard. I felt like they were going to at least let us know what it was, but maybe be vague on some of the details. I don't think a new WoW or Diablo expansion will be enough at this point. The fan base has been dropping rapidly and Blizzard needs to do something to stay competitive.

I think that's what Hearthstone is supposed to do. lol I was at PAX East when they announced. Half the room LITERALLY left the event.

Ya, but I heard most of the drop off was in china. That could be multiple reasons, not the least of which is they do some crazy things with internet regulations.

I think that's what Hearthstone is supposed to do. lol I was at PAX East when they announced. Half the room LITERALLY left the event.

I'm excited for Hearthstone. I enjoy card games and am under the belief that Blizzard can do no harm (silly me). I think it'll be great and am very happy it'll be F2P.

That being said, I don't expect Blizzard to announce anything major at any non-Blizzcon events anymore. They want to draw the people in and give the fans something to cheer at their own events. Imagine if they announced Hearthstone as the major selling point of this years Blizzcon?!

This is GREAT new for WildStar! An old high school buddy of mine is the Cinematic Supervisor at Blizzard, I'll give him a shout and see if he's got any more info.

This is GREAT new for WildStar! An old high school buddy of mine is the Cinematic Supervisor at Blizzard, I'll give him a shout and see if he's got any more info.

What's his name? I probably know him. And please do not post anything here that is not public knowledge :)

Awesome! Hit him up on FB if you haven't already. He's a good guy. :)

No need. A: Blizzards NDA is about 50 pages thick, I know I had to sign one when I worked there. B: What the public heard and what the internal reasons are, really aren't something that can be posted on a public forum. Just sayin. That being said I understand your curiosity and if someone tells you, I guess that is cool, but I wouldn't ask any of my old work buddies to jeopardize their jobs over that kinda shit. Blizzard isn;t a stupid company, I have my ideas of why they delayed their MMO and I think it was a GOOD idea.

Very true. I don't think (or at least I would hope) that he wouldn't divulge anything that would jeopardize his job and I wouldn't prod him to do that anyhow. :) I respect his candor when it comes to things like that so I tend to just ask general questions and see what comes out of it.

What did you do at Blizzard?

Very true. I don't think (or at least I would hope) that he wouldn't divulge anything that would jeopardize his job and I wouldn't prod him to do that anyhow. :) I respect his candor when it comes to things like that so I tend to just ask general questions and see what comes out of it.

What did you do at Blizzard?

I was a cinematic artist. I directed a large portion of in-game cinematics and the south park episode of make love not warcraft.

I was a cinematic artist. I directed a large portion of in-game cinematics and the south park episode of make love not warcraft.
I still rewatch some of the old cinematics from time to time. I really liked the BC era ones- Black Temple release and so forth.

I'm a little sad Blizz is delaying Titan. Even if it does give WS more room, I think as a whole the consumer benefits from the competition between companies.

I am also psyched about Hearthstone. I'm hoping to friend several members here and have some EPIC duels.

Top Bottom