What's new

RP GAMES D&D World Creation - Forum Game? - WIP

ToxicAsF

Over Analystical Extreme Gambler
So lately I've been REALLY wanting to set up a D&D 5th edition campaign, but I have had the shittiest timing in actually building maps and getting the setting down on paper. That said, I wanted to try something a bit. I wanted to do a semi-test of the world that I have been building through a forum-only, relatively form-free world building exercise. Kind of a Macro-level world building.

I thought it might be kind of cool if we had people from TAB make a few "pieces" of the world I've been creating. Like, city/town names, general population sizes, and key items of interest. Then I would like to add in these pieces to my over-arching world and implement them into the story I have building!

Currently, the world is named Aloria. In this world, there is little to no magic presence and large scale warfare has only been seen within books of history and fiction to all of it's inhabitants. As an overall peace exists between the the three major factions, there are always quabbles within the factions themselves for clans and tribes over disputes of land, but for the vast majority it is a lifetime of peace. Each continent is ruled by different races, but each race has intermingled, thus you will find a diverse racial balance between the nations.

There three well known continents in a triangle formation (N,E,W) -

Edelheimr - The continent to the North - The upper portions are mostly snow and mountains, while the bottom portions are mostly grasslands. The Dwarven kingdom of Jormalnd is stationed at the junction of Mountain to Forest and rules over the continent. Many orc tribes roam the lands in solitude, but there are also many manufacturing towns across the land, harboring most of the worlds production of machinery, housing many of the worlds gnomes as well in the areas closer to the mountains used for mining gems.

Nordsbar - The continent to the West - Much larger in land mass than Edelheimr, but also flat across the lands. Ruled primarily by the Humans of the land in the Kingdom of Vitlan, many human settlements span across the region, focusing on agricultural advances and farmlands/livestock. Many of the goods produced here are shipped to the other continents, creating sea trade routes between the three continents. To the west of Nordsbar, arid desert lands exist. Over time, the deserts have expanded into 30% of the Western portion of the continent, but there have been visible signs of life to exist out there. Nordsbar is more trade oriented than the two other continents, so the port cities to the East are much more multicultural, but also home to some of the more "shady" characters.

Valhen - The continent to the East - The smallest of the three continents, ruled by the Elves in the Kingdom of Arnsera. Valhen inhabits the more scholarly gifted people of the world. Historians, scholars and researchers of alchemy and the lost arts of magic focus here. The worlds history is here, open to the world to read in all of the libraries across the land. Knowledge and sciences can earn people wealth and fame in these lands, as the lands themselves offer little. Water flows through most of the lands, strewn with rivers and lakes. Small formations of trees hold little life, and it is preserved all in it's natural habitat.

So I open to those who enjoy playing those "God" games, and offer pieces of the world open to all TAB'ers to create small pieces of civilization, leaving your mark on this (hopefully soon) to be played world!

And more info to come on the kingdoms / rulers themselves of each continent. Trying to create a healthy enough world that the players have enough information to create characters at least somewhat relevant to the world itself, rather than implanting something and finding a home.

Oh oh, can I add something that was fun from a friends old campaign?

Oh oh, can I add something that was fun from a friends old campaign?

Go for it! All I ask is to try to keep it within the "general" aesthetics for the campaign (IE: low magic and somewhat logical location).

Oh no, it definitely fits. Here's kind of a run down of what it is and where it would be...

Continent location: Nordsbar, somewhere rocky with nearby forests

City name: Robinsdale - Lawful Evil

Ruler name: Lord Estachnos - Chaotic Evil

Major city laws:

1. Only humans allowed

2. All people inside of Robinsdale must carry long swords. Anyone not carrying one will either be arrested or executed on sight.

3. All things touching the ground belong to Lord Estachnos, even picking up a pebble is considered stealing from the Lord and is punishable by death from any city guard

4. All uses of magic are prohibited except by Lord Estachnos, also punishable by death.

And any other insane crazy unjustifiably wrong laws you can come up with.

A bit about Lord Estachnos:

He is an insane man who was born into power and was possibly inbred. Similar or Jofferey from game of thrones, only much much more insane. Delights in torturing people, but because he's so insane he's easily gullible, such that dwarves can say they are just short humans and elves can pass off their ears as birth defects. Lord Estachnos desires power more than anything and he's willing to throw as much money as it takes to anyone who will accept his eccentric, insane tasks that he believes will bring him more power throughout the land.

The city of Robinsdale is largely impoverished with only those that cater to Lord Estachnos' insanity as upper class citizens.

Love it. Have an idea for it. Details to be found in the campaign.
Yeah, as you can probably instantly tell, its made to be more of a gag than anything. My friend Robby used to make up laws on the spot to try and trip us up and troll us. I was playing a drow sorcerer at the time and went to meet Lord Estachnos, he called guards to execute me and I told him I was actually a human but some wizard had cast a spell on me to disguise me as a drow as I was walking into the city, probably for malicious reasons. He of course bought it and sent the guards looking for a mysterious magic user within the city. As we were finishing up our negotiations the guards dragged in a mangled body of someone who was probably innocent.

Yeah, as you can probably instantly tell, its made to be more of a gag than anything. My friend Robby used to make up laws on the spot to try and trip us up and troll us. I was playing a drow sorcerer at the time and went to meet Lord Estachnos, he called guards to execute me and I told him I was actually a human but some wizard had cast a spell on me to disguise me as a drow as I was walking into the city, probably for malicious reasons. He of course bought it and sent the guards looking for a mysterious magic user within the city. As we were finishing up our negotiations the guards dragged in a mangled body of someone who was probably innocent.

See, this is something I need to work on with this campaign. The flexibility and improvisation. Last time I had really only one direction to go and was difficult trying to steer you guys towards that (which, now after a year+ of reading and playing, know how... boring that can be).

Hopefully with the world that is being built, it can allow for a bit more free-roam and exploration and letting you guys get to make more choices.

And hopefully with this little game of adding some flair from other minds, it will create some more diverse lands to explore and stories to discover.

Vitalia is a principality located less than a day's ride from the human capital. It is situated on some of the best, most vibrant farmland in the entire kingdom. What began as a small collection of farms grew over the years into a large town. A little over a hundred years ago, a delegation of elves on their way to the capital happened upon the town. They considered the townsfolk to be very quaint and uneducated, but were amazed at the agricultural techniques, which were way ahead of what was currently used in Arnsera. Recognizing an opportunity to increase their knowledge, the delegates negotiated to leave a small group of scholars in Vitalia that would conduct learning and research. A modest fee was paid to the capital and all research was to be shared with both kingdoms.

As the years passed, the scholars grew in knowledge and research to the point that wealthy landowners began sending their children and farmhands to them to receive training. Classes expanded and grew until a full university was born. The University of Vitalia is now considered to be the foremost authority on agriculture, horticulture, and animal husbandry. Admission is available only to members of the nobility that can afford the astronomical fees or who are personally recommended and sponsored by the noble elite of Vitlan or Arnsera. The program is notoriously difficult, graduating only a fraction of the students accepted. Completion of the degree program is considered one of the highest honors of the kingdom and assures the bearer of a successful career as a landowner or manager. Rumors abound of nobles paying large donations while their children attend to assure graduation, but no one dares to publicly call to question the honor of the Regents.

The five Regents are the governing body of the University. They are headed by a Prime Regent whose wealth and political clout rivals that of the king himself. For the first several decades of their existence, all the Regents were elves. Through political maneuvering and some shadowy intervention from the capital, humans gained control of the University, at one point having four Regents and the Prime Regent all human. Arnsera intervened, threatening to withdraw support and conduct all research on their own unless they were given fair representation. A new Charter was agreed upon that guaranteed at least two seats on the Regents to the elves. The current Prime Regent is human and serving his third consecutive ten-year term. He is not expected to survive the term and both nations are eager to secure the next Prime Regent seat for themselves. Since elves occupy three of the five current seats, the humans are nervous that an elf will take the top spot for the first time in nearly 50 years.

The townsfolk of Vitalia are split between a majority population of humans and a large minority (about 30%) of elves. Dwarves and gnomes make up about 2% and operate machine shops or trade stands. One dwarf recently gained prominence by becoming the Dean of Husbandry at the University, but no one believes there is any chance he will be named as a Regent. He is only one of eight non-humans or elves that have ever attended the University and only two others graduated.

The peasantry and small farmers that live in and around Vitalia have little use or care for the politics. They continue on as they have for over a hundred years, producing the bulk of the sustenance of Vitlan as well as many of its chief exports.

Leader: Vana'telor

Description: In a world with little to no magical presence, when individuals are born with the "gift" they are often shunned, exiled, or hunted for execution. As such, these individuals often seek shelter in Valhen. Unfortunately, the elves of Valhen don't welcome humans with this gift due to their mistrust of human nature and their potential for using this power in selfish ways.

Humans with the "gift" of magic often discover their ability as teenagers, and their parents try to hide them from society to protect them. They may get sold into slavery for fear of being discovered by the rulers in Nordsbar, and other times these teenagers run away from home due to shame or guilt of what they are and how they are perceived in society.

Vana'telor is a powerful, elven mage with the uncanny ability to sense when someone she meets is able to use magical force, and she often sends them to Bmahrin, which is hidden away in the mountains of Edelheimr. The population of this town is very small (less than 20), but other elven preceptors train their human recruits to control their gifts and use them for "good." This has worked out well, for the most part. The location of Bmahrin is veiled in sorcery, and only Vana'telor and seasoned preceptors are able to open the veil to enter/exit.

The preceptors speak of a previous student, named Elhaym, that was dismissed from Bmahrin a couple of years ago since she wanted to use her powers as a tool for revenge against those who wronged her. Vana'telor wants her students to use magic for the greater good in an effort to change how society perceives those with this gift, but Elhaym was not interested in this. Many students wonder where Elhaym is today...

Major law: I don't play DnD, so choose whichever one falls into the "greater good" nonsense.

Keleynal - Awesome. Nothing there I even want to change. The internal strife shows some of the political issues between the nations, but overall the peace is held to keep the countries from imploding.

Milleuda - Love it. Can't go into detail again, but helps facilitate something else I'm working on for this campaign <3

Leaders of the world -

King Goltur Jormulnd VI - Leader of the Kingdom of Jormulnd - A strong body, strong willed dwarf who has reigned over the kingdom for nearly a century. In his old age, he has seen the passage of time more than any of the other leaders, but has come to terms with soon passing his family Warhammer to his son, Goltur Jormulnd VII. During his reign, he has kept peace between the orcs and the dwarves, allowing the orcs to roam as needed as long as they do not disturb the balance of his brethren's work of mining and building.

Though living through a time of peace, Goltur VI always followed the advice of his father that was handed down since Goltur I, and that was to always ensure the kingdom was protected. Goltur VI has always kept a well equipped and trained military force of around 4,000 dwarves, a role specifically built for the kingdom, but never once used it for heavy combat, but merely as police action throughout the continent, and would even contract out forces to the other kingdoms as needed (for quite a hefty fee).

King Reyas Vitlan XXI - Leader of the Kingdom of Vitlan - A short, fat, pompous man who has only lived in the comfort of his own castle, rarely even speaking to his people. A man who lives only to satiate his stomach and cravings, could not properly rule such a kingdom. But luckily, his younger brother Reylok Vitlan, was appointed as Reyas's Royal Adviser and is the true leader of Vitlan. With every poor decision Reyas has, Reylok is there to correct it before it reaches the people, and Reyas is none-the-wiser. Reylok only wishes for the country to continue to flourish as it has for centuries, and will do everything that is needed to protect the hard working citizens, while Reyas merely wishes to exist in his lavish lifestyle.

With this balance of Reyas and Reylok, the people view Reyas as a mighty King, but are still waiting for the nearing middle aged man to choose a wife to bare an heir to the throne. Reylok has sent a team to find women of Reyas's.... tastes, in hope to procure a wife for his brother while neglecting himself.

Queen Alais Arnsera "XIV" - Leader of the Kingdom of Arnsera - A tall, elegant elf who has sought after knowledge more than anyone else in the kingdom. Spending all of her early days as a scholar, she fell in love with Prince Thallan Arnsera who was touring the countries libraries and universities. Although not a custom to marry outside of royalty, Prince Thallan refused to let that sway his feelings for Alais. Secretively, Thallan arranged for Alais to work at the royal library in the heart of the Kingdom, allowing her to continue her research with the highest caliber of materials. Occasionally Prince Thallan would visit the library, only to see Alais in private. The current King of Arnsera once caught wind of this, and forbid it to occur. Alas, Prince Thallan refused, and soon had a plan. Thallan would meet with Alais and beg her to run away with him. Also smitten by the prince, the two ran into the world.

Unfortunately, the two were caught quite quickly. The king and his royal guard were tracking the prince since his departure, but upon capturing the two runaways the king noticed that Alais was pregnant. The king was then left with no choice but to allow for a marriage to occur between the two. Immediately the ceremonies followed in a private gathering of a very select crowd, and Alais was to feign royal blood to the kingdom to not disrupt the traditions of the kingdom.

Quickly, word had somehow spread that the soon to be king and queen of Arnsera were not both of royal blood. This caused mass hysteria across the kingdom, as traditions had been broken amongst the elven kind. However, Prince Thallan had prepared for such a day. A gathering was held in the kingdom for the passing of the crown from King to Prince. With most of the entire kingdom in attendance, Prince Thallan spoke to the crowd, speaking how love knows no bounds and that tradition can not keep that love apart, nothing would keep the two away from each other apart from death.

At that very moment, a crossbow bolt was seen flying from the crowd, only to strike the now Queen Alais in the chest. With the murderer quickly captured by the unruly mob, the now king Thallan was left with a dying wife next to him. As quickly as he could, he prayed to the gods that he wish he could have been stricken down, and not his wife who bares his child and future heir to the throne. In a bright flash of light, Thallan gave up his life in order to protect the life of his love.

In this display of passion, the kingdom sat in silence as the prince spoke his final words. "Do not hate this woman for my wrongful passion. Follow her as she leads this kingdom to greater heights than I ever could, and love her as I have to this moment, as well as the child I will never get to meet."

After his final, dying breath, the queen became the true ruler to Arnsera. She continued her quest of knowledge while raising their child, Prince Thallan Arnsera XV, and continues to rule the people who have followed the last words of the King.

Wow this is extensive and awesome, If I could sit down and think of something I would.

Something along the lines of a small village on the outskirts of the main continent of Valhen where the inhabitants are only those who were thrown out and are outcasts who couldn't keep up with the studies or created such magnificent abominations that they weren't allowed to stay anymore and were banished. This village is a safe haven for them to come together and help each other out where they are needed most. A tiny nugget of misfits who work together that can go on par with the main settlements?

Leaders of the world -

King Goltur Jormulnd VI - Leader of the Kingdom of Jormulnd - A strong body, strong willed dwarf who has reigned over the kingdom for nearly a century. In his old age, he has seen the passage of time more than any of the other leaders, but has come to terms with soon passing his family Warhammer to his son, Goltur Jormulnd VII. During his reign, he has kept peace between the orcs and the dwarves, allowing the orcs to roam as needed as long as they do not disturb the balance of his brethren's work of mining and building.

Though living through a time of peace, Goltur VI always followed the advice of his father that was handed down since Goltur I, and that was to always ensure the kingdom was protected. Goltur VI has always kept a well equipped and trained military force of around 4,000 dwarves, a role specifically built for the kingdom, but never once used it for heavy combat, but merely as police action throughout the continent, and would even contract out forces to the other kingdoms as needed (for quite a hefty fee).

King Reyas Vitlan XXI - Leader of the Kingdom of Vitlan - A short, fat, pompous man who has only lived in the comfort of his own castle, rarely even speaking to his people. A man who lives only to satiate his stomach and cravings, could not properly rule such a kingdom. But luckily, his younger brother Reylok Vitlan, was appointed as Reyas's Royal Adviser and is the true leader of Vitlan. With every poor decision Reyas has, Reylok is there to correct it before it reaches the people, and Reyas is none-the-wiser. Reylok only wishes for the country to continue to flourish as it has for centuries, and will do everything that is needed to protect the hard working citizens, while Reyas merely wishes to exist in his lavish lifestyle.

With this balance of Reyas and Reylok, the people view Reyas as a mighty King, but are still waiting for the nearing middle aged man to choose a wife to bare an heir to the throne. Reylok has sent a team to find women of Reyas's.... tastes, in hope to procure a wife for his brother while neglecting himself.

Queen Alais Arnsera "XIV" - Leader of the Kingdom of Arnsera - A tall, elegant elf who has sought after knowledge more than anyone else in the kingdom. Spending all of her early days as a scholar, she fell in love with Prince Thallan Arnsera who was touring the countries libraries and universities. Although not a custom to marry outside of royalty, Prince Thallan refused to let that sway his feelings for Alais. Secretively, Thallan arranged for Alais to work at the royal library in the heart of the Kingdom, allowing her to continue her research with the highest caliber of materials. Occasionally Prince Thallan would visit the library, only to see Alais in private. The current King of Arnsera once caught wind of this, and forbid it to occur. Alas, Prince Thallan refused, and soon had a plan. Thallan would meet with Alais and beg her to run away with him. Also smitten by the prince, the two ran into the world.

Unfortunately, the two were caught quite quickly. The king and his royal guard were tracking the prince since his departure, but upon capturing the two runaways the king noticed that Alais was pregnant. The king was then left with no choice but to allow for a marriage to occur between the two. Immediately the ceremonies followed in a private gathering of a very select crowd, and Alais was to feign royal blood to the kingdom to not disrupt the traditions of the kingdom.

Quickly, word had somehow spread that the soon to be king and queen of Arnsera were not both of royal blood. This caused mass hysteria across the kingdom, as traditions had been broken amongst the elven kind. However, Prince Thallan had prepared for such a day. A gathering was held in the kingdom for the passing of the crown from King to Prince. With most of the entire kingdom in attendance, Prince Thallan spoke to the crowd, speaking how love knows no bounds and that tradition can not keep that love apart, nothing would keep the two away from each other apart from death.

At that very moment, a crossbow bolt was seen flying from the crowd, only to strike the now Queen Alais in the chest. With the murderer quickly captured by the unruly mob, the now king Thallan was left with a dying wife next to him. As quickly as he could, he prayed to the gods that he wish he could have been stricken down, and not his wife who bares his child and future heir to the throne. In a bright flash of light, Thallan gave up his life in order to protect the life of his love.

In this display of passion, the kingdom sat in silence as the prince spoke his final words. "Do not hate this woman for my wrongful passion. Follow her as she leads this kingdom to greater heights than I ever could, and love her as I have to this moment, as well as the child I will never get to meet."

After his final, dying breath, the queen became the true ruler to Arnsera. She continued her quest of knowledge while raising their child, Prince Thallan Arnsera XV, and continues to rule the people who have followed the last words of the King.

The fact that Queen Arnsera has a XIV after he name is very interesting. Usually that suffix is used to differentiate individuals with the same name. If the last king was the XIII, then it would seem that she either took the XIV from her late husband for some reason, or the elves simply number their monarchs chronologically. The latter seems unlikely, since Ithe kingdom is likely older than fourteen rulers (unless some sort of upheaval reset the count). Also, given the young prince has the XV moniker, that seems to indicate that it is attached to the name rather than the crown.

Also, I love the behind the scenes action between the human king and his brother. It also gives more credence to my scenario. I mention that they have strong political pull. Perhaps they are among the few that know the real truth and have strong influence over King Reyas.

Also, the prince fell in love with a nerdy elf?

Elf_with_Glasses_Color_by_RocMegamanX.jpg

Yeah, he was totally attracted to her large mind.

Are the dwarves living IN the mountain or ON the mountain? I have some ideas..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Are the dwarves living IN the mountain or ON the mountain? I have some ideas..

Alright! So, due to poor artistical skills, I will try to verbally explain in more detail Edelheimr and make a poor MSPaint picture later.

An egg shaped continent with the mountains to the north, forest to the south, meeting at the halfway point. On the cliffside facing the trees there lies a dwarven fortress, overlooking all of the landscape. The fortress itself has an out facing, but is built into the mountainside. There are a multitude of tunnels and even some small camps and villages inside the mountain itself, but the primary residences are along the cliffs and around the mountain, but there are tunnel systems built for mining expeditions for materials strewn across many of the mountains, all documented with maps and kept at the fortress for their records.

Alright! So, due to poor artistical skills, I will try to verbally explain in more detail Edelheimr and make a poor MSPaint picture later.

An egg shaped continent with the mountains to the north, forest to the south, meeting at the halfway point. On the cliffside facing the trees there lies a dwarven fortress, overlooking all of the landscape. The fortress itself has an out facing, but is built into the mountainside. There are a multitude of tunnels and even some small camps and villages inside the mountain itself, but the primary residences are along the cliffs and around the mountain, but there are tunnel systems built for mining expeditions for materials strewn across many of the mountains, all documented with maps and kept at the fortress for their records.

Dwarves are always so typecasted as earthy. I want some arboreal dwarves! Like Ewoks.

Dwarves are always so typecasted as earthy. I want some arboreal dwarves! Like Ewoks.

This is the atypical "earthen dwarf" setting, mostly because that is how the past generations have lived. Handed down from generation to generation, a mining and military backings. It's how the culture has cultivated over centuries. That's not to say that, in the world, there aren't any dwarves that aren't more free spirited, tribal, or animalistic.

I once had a dwarf character that lived in a hill beneath a huuuuuuge tree that was perceived to be the "world's life" by locals. He was very shaman-y and hung out in the tree quite a bit.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Top Bottom