What's new

Fit Nerds!

Another ridiculously skinny person here. 6'3" and (was) 140lbs. Can confirm we function alright.

*highfives* I'm on the same boat as you. Same weight right now and goal too.
...Areyoume?
At any rate my secret to gaining weight has mostly been protein shakes and copious amounts of avocados
It's still a struggle not to lose the weight I've gained however. The mass amounts of cayenne pepper and green tea I intake probably don't help with my metabolism already in overdrive..

Why are you taking Cayenne pepper if you are trying to gain weight? Dunno how much it would affect it but you are using something commonly used to reduce weight when you are trying to gain weight?

As someone who is....unfortunately this is now a was, a hard gainer I have a little advice for you. First I would stop taking any Cayenne pepper other than what is normally in food you eat.

1. Stop drinking your calories and start eating them. This is a philosophy used for losing weight but it also works for gaining weight. You need to make sure you are eating big meals and if you are having a shake this is IN ADDITION to anything you would eat. I would typically eat lunch, go to the gym, have a shake while changing, then go home for another meal right away because working out made me hungry again no matter how much I ate. Or if you want a shake, set your alarm for 2 am and go have the shake then go back to bed.

2. Eat at least 5 times a day. Again, this is a weight loss thing but it is also a weight gain thing. You need to eat a lot of food and do it very often. Also make sure you are eating late. Having a big meal late at night means you will be starving when you wake up causing you to eat as soon as you wake up. (my secret was oreo ice cream. I would usually get 1L right before bed everyday)

3. Eat calorie dense food. You can still eat healthy, but make sure you eat healthy food plus a lot of other food. I ate a lot of pasta...I mean A LOT of pasta. (My record was 7 bowls of pasta...in addition to a couple loaves of bread, several bowls of ceaser salad, and 2 pieces of chocolate cake at East Side Marios) Mostly because it was cheap and it's something that I can eat a ton of and not get sick of it.

4. Go to the gym 4 times per week. Make sure AT LEAST one of those days is dedicated to just legs. Being the biggest muscles in your body if you aren't working them out you are missing out! You can still do cardio if you want, but focus on short, intense training rather than running 5 miles everyday.

5. Your caloric intake should be in the 5000+ range. I tracked my calories and was eating 7000+ a day for 3 months. It's a TON of food, but my body needed to get shocked into holding on to extra mass. I tried 4000-5000 /day and my body just learned to burn it off.

This may or may not help, or you might blow it off, or you might hate me for actually going out of my way to eat that much food to gain weight. In any case, you always want what someone else has. I hated being skinny and not being able to put on weight as much as my friend who was overweight and no matter what he did couldn't lose it. At the end of the day you need to want it bad enough. Currently I am trying to trim down a bit. Mostly this was 1 month of no soda, limited procesed sugar (pop and candy are my biggest vices), and eating healthy. So far I've dropped some inches while maintaining size and it's working well.

Why are you taking Cayenne pepper if you are trying to gain weight? Dunno how much it would affect it but you are using something commonly used to reduce weight when you are trying to gain weight?

As someone who is....unfortunately this is now a was, a hard gainer I have a little advice for you. First I would stop taking any Cayenne pepper other than what is normally in food you eat.

1. Stop drinking your calories and start eating them. This is a philosophy used for losing weight but it also works for gaining weight. You need to make sure you are eating big meals and if you are having a shake this is IN ADDITION to anything you would eat. I would typically eat lunch, go to the gym, have a shake while changing, then go home for another meal right away because working out made me hungry again no matter how much I ate. Or if you want a shake, set your alarm for 2 am and go have the shake then go back to bed.

2. Eat at least 5 times a day. Again, this is a weight loss thing but it is also a weight gain thing. You need to eat a lot of food and do it very often. Also make sure you are eating late. Having a big meal late at night means you will be starving when you wake up causing you to eat as soon as you wake up. (my secret was oreo ice cream. I would usually get 1L right before bed everyday)

3. Eat calorie dense food. You can still eat healthy, but make sure you eat healthy food plus a lot of other food. I ate a lot of pasta...I mean A LOT of pasta. (My record was 7 bowls of pasta...in addition to a couple loaves of bread, several bowls of ceaser salad, and 2 pieces of chocolate cake at East Side Marios) Mostly because it was cheap and it's something that I can eat a ton of and not get sick of it.

4. Go to the gym 4 times per week. Make sure AT LEAST one of those days is dedicated to just legs. Being the biggest muscles in your body if you aren't working them out you are missing out! You can still do cardio if you want, but focus on short, intense training rather than running 5 miles everyday.

5. Your caloric intake should be in the 5000+ range. I tracked my calories and was eating 7000+ a day for 3 months. It's a TON of food, but my body needed to get shocked into holding on to extra mass. I tried 4000-5000 /day and my body just learned to burn it off.

This may or may not help, or you might blow it off, or you might hate me for actually going out of my way to eat that much food to gain weight. In any case, you always want what someone else has. I hated being skinny and not being able to put on weight as much as my friend who was overweight and no matter what he did couldn't lose it. At the end of the day you need to want it bad enough. Currently I am trying to trim down a bit. Mostly this was 1 month of no soda, limited procesed sugar (pop and candy are my biggest vices), and eating healthy. So far I've dropped some inches while maintaining size and it's working well.

About the cayenne: I just really REALLY like spicy foods and I use it in practically everything I make for myself :(
I'm trying to get into the habit of eating more and more often, mostly while I'm at work as I get bowls of chili and caeser salads for free (Usually I combine these with lots of crackers and bread) and being there for 12 hours/day when it's not busy gives me a lot of time to abuse that haha.
The shakes I usually drink just before going to bed or between meals.

Though I think I will try some of what you mentioned (Not sure if I can hit up the gym with my work schedule) and also start counting my calories haha. I've been steadily gaining weight but I'm in the area where I usually top off, so I think a bit of extra work on my part will be good.

Alsoalso I actually really appreciate you giving me some detailed info like this! :D

Edit after Tristans post: I was pretty much already heading towards this path. Of course any info I get will be augmented by what I feel comfortable with :p

Not saying this doesn't work for some but for me it didn't just made me put on a little bit of fat and made me feel like shit all day.
So i will right what i did and what is working (for me )

1) I found my Macros and caloric intake This is the % of Carbs ,Proteins and fats that make up your caloric intake. Then your calories are based on you ( height weight ect ect) mine is around 5000 just upped it from about 4500

2) Find a good workout program (for me ) i was told to always use squats ,Dead lift and bench as part of my routine then add what you want around that.I only go to the gym 3 days a week that way i have plenty of time to recover.Focus on diffrent things every day you go , day 1 just do upper body day 2 just legs.. ect

For me just eating a lot didn't work i had to find the right foods to eat the right amount to eat and the best workout for me as of right now im at about 1-2 pounds a week some muscle some fat but once you reach your goal weight you can "cut" to get rid of the fat. Also you may need to switch up routines after a certin while i found that i can no longer gain weight untill i do diffrent excercisis.

keith good job on trying to cut the soda i haven't had one since i joined the army 4 1/2 years ago.also i think cayenne is supposed to decrease appetite because of the capsaicin

*Edit* since tr1ge made a good point i will say this is what i am doing to build a good amount muscle and gain weight goal wight is 175-180 and im 6 '2

I am just going to throw this out there so no one goes crazy following instructions etc without knowing it all. Please do me a favor and write what your goals were(ripped, normal body height weight, muscles, average) with your suggestions and if you have an eating disorder. I don't know if anyone here does for the latter but it is important people know when advice is given, that or if you are not comfortable with it, just please avoid giving advice.

Alright so here are my progress pics, although the old pic is terrible. If I find a better one I will upload it but best I can find atm. I know I have one from Cuba where I'm 190lbs of blub lol.
Before:
jKF2uWw.jpg

After:
2Txi1OQ.jpg

Currently trying to decide if I should start slowly eating more or to cut down further. I'm at 161lbs which is light and has made me overall weaker than before, so I am leaning a bit more towards eating some more foods.

What do you think?

Alright so here are my progress pics, although the old pic is terrible. If I find a better one I will upload it but best I can find atm. I know I have one from Cuba where I'm 190lbs of blub lol.
Before:
jKF2uWw.jpg

After:
2Txi1OQ.jpg

Currently trying to decide if I should start slowly eating more or to cut down further. I'm at 161lbs which is light and has made me overall weaker than before, so I am leaning a bit more towards eating some more foods.

What do you think?

How far apart are those pictures?

Not gonna lie, hard to tell a side view with a shirt on compared to a front shot with none for progress.

I will say this though: More smaller meals throughout the day will give you a lot more energy and increase metabolism. Just my 2 cents, :)

You should listen to your body. If you are weaker and want more food, then eat more food. The key is to eat foods that are good for you. The real trick is to eat till you aren't hungry any more, not till you are full.

There this one my step mom put on FB for me, it should give you a better idea. And yes these were from quite a few years ago - it's where I judge myself from.

UEFHcwT.jpg

Instead of clogging up a thread about foods we refuse to eat with the foods we do eat, figured I would put my myfitnesspal meal here.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/Robtom22
This is mine 5 days a week, 2 off days I don't have the shakes and sometimes saturdays get messed up if I drink because I just eat my oatmeal, shake, and then mainly just my proteins. Depending on my weigh in shall either keep the foods or increase by 200 cal (looking at 1lb/week gain).

This past week I had Sushi on Tuesday and BBQ on Saturday though so I do vary from time to time. Might make a thread about my own stuffs sometime hmmm.

I scrolled through the post and didn't see this one but another must for muscle/weight gain is eating a protein rich meal shortly after working out. Right when your body can make the most use of it. Also some advice from the world of body building that most people don't think of when trying to workout and build muscle.... SLEEP! I remember years ago reading that pro body builders go for something like 10 hours of sleep a day. This is when your body does all it's magic. Also don't over do it in the gym and let your muscles rest 3 or even preferably 5 days between hitting them hard again. With knowledge, planning, and focus in the gym you can easily pack on muscle with as little as 30-45 minute of lifting a day.

Building muscle is a process of tearing up muscle fibers, then getting proper nutrition and sleep to then allow your body to rebuild the damage that you've done.(soreness) As far as calories, yeah it can be expensive to try to put on mass... You know when Michael Phelps was training for the Olympics he was consuming something like 11,000 - 13,000 calories a day? That blew my mind when I heard that. And he's a swimmer, not a body builder. That's insane! Brings back memories of my late teens, early 20s when I would force feed myself cans of tuna and pour ketchup on them just to get through it. And yes, tons of pasta! lol

I won't claim to be an expert by any means and it has been years since I've been really hardcore into working out but at my best I was about 210 lbs with 32" waist, 18.5" biceps and a decent 6 pack. I never did any crazy cutting cycles or try to purposely dehydrate myself to look more cut like the pros do. I just did it for myself and well... for the ladies of course. lol I'm recently getting back into it and this time around with much better motives in my opinion. Just want to live a healthy life and be able to be there for my wife and kids 20 and 30+ years down the road.

I know your post was pretty old but hope this little advice may help you in putting on those pounds.

Also don't over do it in the gym and let your muscles rest 3 or even preferably 5 days between hitting them hard again.

That is definitely a matter of opinion though. Some of the best old school bodybuilders used full body routines 3x per week. Point is one of the types of routines (full body, push/pull/legs, split, powerbuilding, whatever else) WILL work for you if you put the effort in, it's not a one size fits all.

How your body reacts to what you're doing depends on your body type as well. You may have to work a little extra to put on weight if you're an ectomorph. As far as routine, it's good to give a muscle group at least 24 hours and preferably 48 hours rest to let your muscles break down and regrow. From what I've read there are a couple of exceptions to this - calves and abs. You can supposedly work those every day and they'll be fine.

It's also very beneficial to work them out in primary/secondary pairs. For example, when you're working your pecs, your triceps are the secondary muscle group. The other is Back/Biceps. Shoulders get worked in with most upper-body exercises so those can be worked out on their own. Since legs are their own group altogether, shoulder's (which includes traps - i.e., shoulder shrugs) and legs are a good group to work together. Abs should be worked every day as a warm-up. If you put all that together you have yourself a 6-day workout:

Mon/Thu - Abs + Back/Biceps
Tue/Fri - Abs + Legs/Shoulders (this day sucks ass so it's good to put it in the middle of your workout routine b'c you're less apt to skip it if it's at the end or get a bad start to your workout week if it's at the beginning)
Wed/Sat - Abs + Chest/Triceps
Sunday - rest, no weights but cardio is very much okay

You should be eating a healthy amount of complex carbs within an hour after your workout too. I always did mashed potatoes, but sweet potatoes are even better. Whole grains are great too as long as you're not eating stuff that's too refined and/or contains a bunch of bad fat or other chemicals. After all, you want to put on weight in a healthy manner.

For muscle building, your basic workout should consist of 4 sets per exercise - 1 for warmup (50% of your max for that exercise at most) to get about 10-12 good reps, then raise the weight so that you're only about to do 8-10 good reps and do 3 more sets. Form is EXTREMELY important when lifting so do it right - it's not about how much you lift, but how you lift it. If you're unsure of the proper form for an exercise (regardless of whether it's a machine or free weight), get with a trainer or look up how to do the exercises on the internet. I really can't stress enough how important form is.

I would not recommend eating a big meal before you go to bed. Yes, it will put on weight, but it will also affect how well you sleep as well as how quickly you recover. Proper sleep is essential, so do yourself a favor and get it. That means not eating at least an hour before going to bed and getting a full night's rest.

Do not skip breakfast. Have a big, healthy one and like Kelth said eat several meals throughout the day. Your caloric intake will depend on a few factors so just setting an arbitrary number usually isn't the best thing to do. There are a lot of sites that will help you figure out what your daily caloric needs are. I like MyFitnessPal personally.

Keeping track of your calories isn't as important as it would be if you were trying to lose weight, but it's still a good idea b'c it will give you a picture of where your calories are coming from (fat/carbs/protein/sugar) so you can make adjustments as necessary. Again, you'll want to gain healthy weight for obvious reasons. You don't want to start clogging arteries, putting yourself at risk for diabetes, creating stress or increasing blood pressure, etc. Basically stay away from processed foods (chip/soda/snack aisles, boxed dinner aisle, deli meats, canned foods unless it's vege's w/o added salt, frozen meals in a bag, sweets, etc). Obviously there are a couple of exceptions to the rule, but not many - KIND bars for example, love 'em!

Learn to read nutritional labels! This may not seem like a big deal, but the better food you put into your body, the more you'll gain from your workouts. Figure out the quality of the fuel you're putting into your body and your body will thank you. When reading the actual ingredient list keep in mind that food manufacturers are required to list the ingredients from most to least. So if the first ingredient is sugar (or some sneakily-named sugar like sucrose, fructose, dextrose, etc) then that's telling you that there is more sugar in that product than any other ingredient.

If it's your thing, keeping a lifting log is really beneficial for motivation and to know when you're starting to hit a plateau so you can change things up. It's great to be able to refer back to your last weight used so you don't have to remember it, and to look back and see how far you've come since you started.

Inevitably, you'll begin to hit what is called a plateau. Basically you're doing everything you normally do, but are making very little progress. This is where most people lose their motivation. The key to this is completely changing up your routine. Get away from your current workout and do full-body circuit training 3-4 days a week with cardio days sprinked in for the other 2-3 days. You can also change from doing 8-10 reps with a high weight to 18-20 reps with a lower weight. Changing up the actual exercises you're doing can help too (for example, instead of doing bench presses do dumbbell presses). Basically anything to keep your body guessing. The plateau happens at different times for different people, but typically the 30 day mark is when most people start their plateau. So if you can switch things up every month, you should be good.

Eventually your body will get to a state of equilibrium. It's happy where it's at given the calories and exercise it's getting and wants to stay where it is. If you're changing things up and still not getting any gains/losses, this is typically the reason why. In this case your best bet is to adjust your calories. Obviously be careful when lowering calories. Your body needs a certain amount to function and to keep it out of "survival" mode. At some point you'll get to where you can't really do either (well, you can but you're getting into extremes at that point). That's okay, that's where you want to be. You're in pure maintenance mode from that point forward - congrats! :)

Finally, as always, go see a doc first to make sure you're in good enough health to work out, yadda yadda, insert additional disclaimer stuff, etc.

That's all I can remember from my personal training days. If any more pops into my head I'll toss it up here. Hope this helped!

Our next step is to try and go completely gluten free. We think my wife has Raynauds Disease and our doctor says she is still young and can help prevent future problems by going gluten free.

Our next step is to try and go completely gluten free. We think my wife has Raynauds Disease and our doctor says she is still young and can help prevent future problems by going gluten free.
Did they test her for Celiac Disease? The gluten free thing is under the assumption that it is Raynauds Syndrome associated with Celiac. Raynauds disease, which is idiopathic, is different from Raynauds syndrome and would not benefit from going gluten free. Sorry the RN in me; patient education is always key! My girlfriend has Raynauds disease.

Top Bottom