What's new

Gamestop won't let you cancel pre-orders

Zakis

War Priestess
This is a rant/PSA for my fellow gamers. Over the years I have watched Gamestop grow, and yet steadily decline in terms of customer satisfaction and business decisions. I had been moving away from using them for a while now and went in today to make a final purchase and wrap up affairs(I bought a cable, no games). I attempted to cancel my pre-orders that already existed as I had heard that they would give you store credit for them but not pay them out to you.

Apparently, they will do neither. All you can do is shift them to new games. Im not sure they ever considered someone would want to cancel their pre-orders completely. Needless to say, I was not happy. I will be attempting to follow up with someone who gets paid more.

That is pretty absurd. I can't believe a large corporation would have such a back alley policy.

I did...I spoke to the store manager...I'm acquainted with him...been going there for years. Time to go up.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Fo sho Baldoraxx why should I pre order when the Best buy across the street has 2000 copies of the game the day it comes out and gives me 20 dollars for the purchase of my next game.

Gamestop is horrible. I'd rather have my games rot in my house than let them give me 1.38 for my copy of Mass Effect 2.

at the end of the day.... FUCK Gamestop. Was a good company back in the day but now... not so much.

I wonder how much of this has to do with people getting the pre-order perks (ie, beta access), and then cancelling their orders. I feel like that was a bit of a scam, but allowing for exchanges and store credit doesn't change that much.

I wonder how much of this has to do with people getting the pre-order perks (ie, beta access), and then cancelling their orders. I feel like that was a bit of a scam, but allowing for exchanges and store credit doesn't change that much.

Exactly, I am understandable to the point that I will take store credit and make a last purchase of some sort but not being able to retrieve MY MONEY in some fashion is ridiculous, especially since there is no such disclaimer that you are unable to get a pre-order refunded when you actually put it in.

Yeah, it sucks. Best thing you can do is just keep going up the ladder until someone helps you. If that doesn't work then getting the press involved usually helps :)

Or getting the press arrested for filming a riot? (too soon?)

That aside, it sounds like Gamestop has largely jumped the gun on using tactics you're only supposed to use once you have an effective monopoly. You can't really toss customer service aside until your customers have no choice but you.

You can't really toss customer service aside until your customers have no choice but you.

Far from a monopoly... I wonder how Gamestop has even been in business this long. So many retailers offering the same, if not better, rates and options. If anything, their only benefit is being a dedicated base with a gamer staff.

Far from a monopoly... I wonder how Gamestop has even been in business this long. So many retailers offering the same, if not better, rates and options. If anything, their only benefit is being a dedicated base with a gamer staff.
I think a good population of gamers, myself included, get larger satisfaction going to a store and physically picking up a game. Just something about it that makes it more exciting to me. Plus social aspect of hanging out at the game store and chit chatting. I'm sure amazon and the like has hit them though.

I enjoy going to the store and looking through the shelves of games. They also sometimes can have some pretty good used deals (buy 2 get 1 free).

Lately I've been playing mostly PC or PS4 games which I just download directly. No need to ever leave my house. One step closer to becoming a certified hermit.

I think a good population of gamers, myself included, get larger satisfaction going to a store and physically picking up a game. Just something about it that makes it more exciting to me. Plus social aspect of hanging out at the game store and chit chatting. I'm sure amazon and the like has hit them though.

Not gonna lie. I do enjoy a good midnight sale every once and a while but honestly its so much easier to order from Amazon because they will get it to you the same day for game releases and I love them as a company. Gamestop has been irking me for years now about certain things and that recent article concerning their wish to get involved at a development level to create exclusive sections of a game for only their customers is frightening.

Well you already get exclusive stuff when you pre-order you say? Yeah but this makes it sounds like huge sections of content will be cut off or unavailable for those who don't partner with these assholes. You can bet I will boycott any company stupid enough to consider partnering with them.

Top Bottom