What's new

Lotteries - Waste of Money or Fun Gambling?

I feel like before I left we asked this question?

But my part would be, invest the first part so I can have a return investment on the same scale where I won't run out of money. Finish my college degree and maybe get a dual degree with a masters. Buy a nice house. Pop out 3-4 more kids since I can afford them now. Buy a new Jeep wrangler unlimited lifted and all the good stuff, new muscle car some classic cars, A good sized house. not to big but not to small. GIANT yard. I'm talking 25 acres + for the stuff I want to do, dirt bikes, shooting guns and such. Buy a boat for lake stuff. Buy an RV so we can travel and fly everywhere around the globe :)....just a few things i would do

With 30 mio I would consider buying WinRAR. Would still probably not do it though.

Serious things I would do: Invest into something so I get around 10000 bucks per month. Give half of this to Gyoin because he told me in what I should invest.
Buy/build myself a house in new zealand. Nothing too fancy, just a normal 2 family house.
Build a big hall right next to this house for VR shenanigans.
Probably all I would buy for myself. Not really interested in expensive things (like cars and stuff). Hell I would probably still continue working.
I would give a little bit to my familiy, but not too much. Maybe half a Million split among all of them.

Donate to several things:
-Alan Musk (I love this guy for some reason)
-All the free software I have been using.
-some anti-Internet-slowdown blogs
-Kickstart interesting projects
-10 bucks for Alttabme

Serious things I would do: Invest into something so I get around 10000 bucks per month. Give half of this to Gyoin because he told me in what I should invest.

Any idiot can earn 0.4% a year return. Just investing in dividend returns alone would make this an easy task. Like, with 3 million to invest, you could make 4% relatively easily.

Hell, if I had 3 million today, I could probably retire with a simple lifestyle living off of investments comfortably. Not lavishly, but could make it work until the day I die.

Quit my job
Buy a house
Buy a classic mustang
Buy a new shiny sports car
Buy a yamaha fz07 motorcycle
Buy a classic Dneper motorcycle with a side car
Buy the $4k millenium falcon UCS lego set
Invest probably 10 mil to keep my self safe money wise
Give or use $1m on my sister for whatever she wants, same with my parents.
After I played around a bit I would probably pick up some classes on whatever hobby took my fancy at any given time and do that for the rest of my life.

I've thought about this question a lot, even though I know I would never win the lotto.

I would definitely not tell anyone, since I have a very large extended family that would somehow contact me for their share. Even the relatives that told me to burn in hell for being gay would find a way to tell me I owed them money. #nope
  • Pay off all my student loan debt, as well as any debt my immediate family has
  • Pay off my parents' house
  • Officially retire
  • Re-write my will
  • Buy a house for myself
  • Build a gaming room
  • Put aside some money for the catastrophic emergencies that may come up with my parents (cancer, nursing home, etc)
  • Invest the rest and live off it
Likely I wouldn't change my lifestyle. If I buy a house in a place that needs a car, I may splurge on that and get like a BMW or something. Otherwise, I'd probably still live the same way and just enjoy my hobbies, do charity work, and travel once a year.

Immediately, Hire a permanent driver, get an in house cook, stylist, and trainer.
Then I would get some fun stuff for the fam.

A few changes for me. I would buy a large property and build a house to spec instead of buying one pre built. I like the tiny house structures but I would do it on a large scale with large open spaces in the middle.

My family is just me my mom and dad and my sister. I would pay off all our debts and make sure they had whatever they wanted.

then the other stuff I said.

Buy a nice house, with gaming room, etc.
I have a small family so everyone could be happy. :)
Invest the money to live off of and pay for the cost associated with
Spending the rest of my life in politics and activism.

We all know that money doesn't buy happiness. We also know that's a lie. It's definitely a lot easier to be happy if you are financially secure. One less thing to worry about, right? The problem is that there are still problems when you are rich and financially secure. They are just different problems that we think we would rather have because the grass is always greener on the other side.

It's definite that money doesn't guarantee happiness, otherwise rich people wouldn't be committing suicide. Ditto for fame, power, and any number of other things that people crave.

The secret to happiness isn't possessing more; it's being content with what you have. If you can live off $30,000 and be content, you have a much better chance of being happy with $300,000,000. If you can't be content with little, you won't be content with a lot either. Because it won't fix your problems, just give you new ones.

We all know that money doesn't buy happiness. We also know that's a lie. It's definitely a lot easier to be happy if you are financially secure. One less thing to worry about, right? The problem is that there are still problems when you are rich and financially secure. They are just different problems that we think we would rather have because the grass is always greener on the other side.

It's definite that money doesn't guarantee happiness, otherwise rich people wouldn't be committing suicide. Ditto for fame, power, and any number of other things that people crave.

The secret to happiness isn't possessing more; it's being content with what you have. If you can live off $30,000 and be content, you have a much better chance of being happy with $300,000,000. If you can't be content with little, you won't be content with a lot either. Because it won't fix your problems, just give you new ones.

MONEY Doesn't buy happiness but a SHIT TON can help ya get there :p

I understand the philosophy, but I personally don't agree with it. I am happy living within my means. I also know that, with more money, I could experience things that I could never experience otherwise as that is a basic barrier of the life experience.

I'm still young and (relatively) healthy. This would be the optimistic time to travel the world and experience what it has to offer. However, I can't do that simply for the fact that I can't afford to. I have other goals such as having a family and owning property. I had to make a choice since my resources and time only allowed for one. I by no means regret my decisions because I am in a great relationship and enjoy life. However, there are still things in life I would like to do but can't because

1. Money
2. Time

By having an increased influx of money, that opens up time that, without said money, would be spent doing things such as work. I enjoy my job and I am grateful for it, but at the same time if I didn't have to work, I probably wouldn't.

Edit: More or less, time is money, but you can't buy back time.

I understand the philosophy, but I personally don't agree with it. I am happy living within my means. I also know that, with more money, I could experience things that I could never experience otherwise as that is a basic barrier of the life experience.

I'm still young and (relatively) healthy. This would be the optimistic time to travel the world and experience what it has to offer. However, I can't do that simply for the fact that I can't afford to. I have other goals such as having a family and owning property. I had to make a choice since my resources and time only allowed for one. I by no means regret my decisions because I am in a great relationship and enjoy life. However, there are still things in life I would like to do but can't because

1. Money
2. Time

By having an increased influx of money, that opens up time that, without said money, would be spent doing things such as work. I enjoy my job and I am grateful for it, but at the same time if I didn't have to work, I probably wouldn't.

Edit: More or less, time is money, but you can't buy back time.
I actually agree with Gyoin here... at least the sentiment. Money was tight for me growing up, and my parents didn't have what they "thought" they needed. Maybe that was their problem now that I look back on it, but it definitely motivated me to do better in school and make something of myself so I would never have a money "problem."

I also know how to live below my means, so perhaps we are all just agreeing but saying it differently. At the end of the day, I do believe money contributes to one's happiness but can also ruin you if you aren't careful.

The only flaw in my perfect plan to enjoy my nonexistent lottery life is that there would be an AltTabMe meet up of Epicurus proportions.
Everything else is pretty clearly listed in an earlier post. Except for my whizbang 100% guaranteed way to return investment I wont tell you unless you have a couple mill to blow.
Oh, and there is the magic formula to get about 30%+ returns too.

Sigh, full of ideas cash light.
If I don't buy a hose next year and find a broker I can trust I might get the formula going.

RESURRECTING OLD RANT THREAD!

Powerball is up to $1.5 BILLION, or $940 MILLION lump sum. I can't even fathom it.

Top Bottom