What's new

Pay to Win?

Simpwn

Praise the Sun!
I think pay to win games have a niche to fill in the gaming market. It allows game companies to have an influx of cash from the fewer people that want to overspend on those games. But where do we draw the line on pay to win? When is a game offering too much to those with expendable income?
  • Does it have to be a tangible item to be considered pay to win?
  • Are games that time gate their content but allow you to all play the same content considered pay to win?

IMO: Sending money to a game to obtain an in-game item/time/or anything non aesthetic is pay-2-win. Even if you can obtain it in-game.

I.E: If a super cool horse that is faster than the rest can be obtained in-game when a game launched but takes 40 hours to obtain OR you can pay $19.99 to get it. Pay-to-Win

I think companies should adopt a win-to-pay strategy, where they give out their games for free and when you beat them, they thank you for investing your time into their hard work, then you give them what you felt what their game was worth.

Edit: Radiohead did this for one if their albums, they made significantly more this way than people paying for the album straight up.

I started to call pay2win games free2wait. Because this is what most games turn into. I simply stopped playing them. My backlog on Steam is huge, so why should I play one of these, even if it´s pretty good?

There is a population that's wants that elder game experience at any cost. And a completely different population that plays for the fun of obtaining that status. I think the key to a successful "pay to win" business model, is to find a way to segregate the two.

No one enjoys getting their ass handed to them while they are farming for a high end piece of gear by a guy who just paid for it. It sucks. I kinda like the way it's done in Robocraft. You can purchase currency to tier up your building blocks, or you can grind your way up. But....you get put in matches with guys if your tier. So you are all on a level playing field.

I think finding a way to make the "pay" path and the "play" path transparent, is key.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I´m actually disappointed on the amount of games that have a hybrid style. You can either buy "special ingame currency" for 1-2$ or you buy a monthly sub somewhere around 15$ and your "special ingame currency" items can be bought with normal ingame currency.

Most problems with p2w can be solved immediately by removing PvP.

Top Bottom