What's new

Selfishness...

If survival is the ultimate selfish act (survival can be defined outside of biology for this purpose), then anything that trumps it must not be selfish. We as humans can make poor decisions that are self-less, and believe them utterly. Feeling bad about not helping an injured creature and feeling bad while dying is effectively suspending biological selfishness, resulting in the inability to make use of emotional selfishness. By ending the capacity for further selfishness you are committing a selfless act.
Just because one selfish act trumps the other in importance, that doesn't mean the other isn't selfish in at least a small way. That is my point here. That all acts have some selfishness in it.

The last sentence
By ending the capacity for further selfishness you are committing a selfless act.
would still be an act, and I bet you can't find an act that has no selfishness in it that would still end your life.[DOUBLEPOST=1372824629,1372824552][/DOUBLEPOST]
Sticking a fork in a wall socket with a rubber glove on.
Why are you doing it? If for curiosity, the selfishness is in the learning of what happens.

Having taken a brief moment to read up on the subject, I think we need to address the following passage of text:

3. If one derives satisfaction from helping others, does it make one selfish? Why or why not?

1. actions.gif
    We can't say that every act is selfish since it is done by an agent because this descriptive generalization would make "act" and "selfish act" extensionally isomorphic.

1. The word "selfish" would lose all meaning because there would be, by definition, no act that is not selfish. The descriptive law would not be empirical; the law would be a tautology.

2. Consider the baby who calls everything a duck. If the word "duck" stands for anything, we would say that he did not know what the word meant.
  2. Following the maxim, then, "when in difficulty, make a distinction," we can distinguish between "selfishness" and "non-selfishness" by looking at the object of the want in the action of an individual.

1. If I want something for myself, the action is selfish.

2. If I want something for someone else, then even if it gives me pleasure, the act is not selfish.
  3. After all, as Rachels writes, isn't the unselfish person precisely the one who derives satisfaction from helping others? The selfish person would be the one who helps grudgingly.
Source

Not my words, to be sure, but I'd like to hear your response.

The thing you quoted and sourced relates to a whole act being called selfish. Most acts are not fully selfish or non selfish. My argument is that there is some little bit of selfishness in every act. The quoted argument is that an act can only be called selfish if it is more selfish than not. It even argues that a whole thing has to be selfish to be called selfish.
2. Consider the baby who calls everything a duck. If the word "duck" stands for anything, we would say that he did not know what the word meant.
Following the maxim, then,...
The baby is calling a whole thing a duck, not saying different things have some aspect of duck in them. They follow that maxim saying by calling something selfish there are no lesser degrees of selfishness in it.

I am arguing that every act has some small part of selfishness in it. I would think that anyone would agree if an act is done for only the purpose of making the actor feel good about themselves whether or not it is to the detriment of others that would be a selfish act.
To extrapolate from that, any act that makes the actor feel good has some selfishness in it, even if the whole rest of the act is non-selfish.

My argument is not that all acts are selfish, only that all acts have some element of selfishness in them. This argument arises from the idea that selfishness is an ingrained driving force in humans and it shapes how we interact with others, thus shaping societies rules, thus shaping what each individual sees as good or evil. I believe the flip side of the coin from selfishness is empathy, making you want to do acts that benefit others regardless of self. However I still argue that helping others makes you feel good. Making yourself feel good is selfish.

Edit: Your link is a good way to define selfish, non selfish, and selfish acts in the context of egoism in psychology. I think it misses the mark in terms of my initial post.

Again, if every act sentient being acts from their self (as they must), the action must be selfish in some regard, so we return to the tautological problem on the definition of selfishness above. EVERY action contains an aspect of self because every action originates in the self. All actions an actor performs are therefore selfish unless they come from someone else without passing though the brain of the actor.

That said...
Even if satisfying our desire to help others does bring pleasure, it does not follow that the original cause of our action was a desire for the pleasure. That would be to confuse the true aim of our actions with a beneficial side-product. Just because something good results, it does not follow that this something must have been our motivation all along.
Source

Again, if every act sentient being acts from their self (as they must), the action must be selfish in some regard, so we return to the tautological problem on the definition of selfishness above.
The issue I have here and with all the linked stuff so far is that all these arguments are based on an either/or scenario. Either any amount of selfishness counts as the whole act being selfish(tautological problem), or someone subjectively decides how much selfishness in an act is enough to call it one or the other. Notice how no one argues that there is no selfish element? They only argue that the selfish elements are so negligible that the whole act can be called non-selfish.

The egoist says every action is selfish because every action has some aspect of selfishness in it. The opponent of the egoist says some things with selfishness in them are still non selfish acts. I say my argument stands in the face of both these views.

This latest source you quoted is much stronger in the argument, but still argues a separate argument than my premise. It still attaches the meaning of the word selfish to the whole of the act, therefore negating its use on partially selfish acts (that are deemed by someone to be mostly non selfish.)

I think it comes down to semantics. The word selfish is a word that comes across so strong in most minds that it encompasses the whole act as a general use of the word. If there was a word that would illustrate a lesser degree of selfishness in an act without labeling the act as selfish or non selfish then I would use that word.

I was very specific on how I worded the original post to reflect that I wasn't labeling any act as selfish or non selfish. Only that there is no act (in my mind) that can be without selfishness.

from the OP
Every single thing that a human does has some selfishness in it. There is no such thing as a fully non selfish act. If you can think of one post it here and I will explain how there is at least a tiny bit of selfishness in it.

The purpose of this statement wasn't to show that all acts should be called selfish because there is selfishness in them. The purpose was to illustrate that selfishness is a driving force in humans that help shape our definitions of good and evil. (in the absence of a higher power we believe in defining good and evil for us.)

In fact, most if not all of the arguments for non-selfish or altruistic acts state there is "selfish motivations" or "slightly selfish acts" embedded in these non-selfish acts. This actually is completely in line with my line of reasoning. Almost word for word.

quote from the most recent source
These definitions make it clear that if you genuinely want to help other people, then acting on that desire is selfless, not selfish. Sure, you're doing what you want (in a sense), but since what you want is admirably altruistic, so is the resulting action.
Bolding is emphasis by me.
the whole act is altruistic, but there is a selfish element.
and from the first source
  1. Following the maxim, then, "when in difficulty, make a distinction," we can distinguish between "selfishness" and "non-selfishness" by looking at the object of the want in the action of an individual.

1. If I want something for myself, the action is selfish.

2. If I want something for someone else, then even if it gives me pleasure, the act is not selfish.
  2. After all, as Rachels writes, isn't the unselfish person precisely the one who derives satisfaction from helping others? The selfish person would be the one who helps grudgingly.
again, bolding by me for emphasis.
I would argue getting what you want and deriving satisfaction are selfish motivations. Those motivations do not make the whole act a selfish one like the egoists argue. They are a part of the whole which I have been arguing.[DOUBLEPOST=1372834085,1372834016][/DOUBLEPOST]
Passing out when getting hit by someone else.
passing out is not an act, its a reaction. The person hitting is surely doing it for selfish reasons like he wanted to and damn the consequences.

I've thought a lot about this as well, and I agree that 'selflessness' doesn't really exist. I mean, the best I could come up with is doing something that is absolutely pointless for no reason. Really, there has to be no reason in order for it to be selfless - as soon as you are doing it for a reason it is tainted with some sort of reciprocation i.e. makes you feel good. Self sacrifice isn't selfless - if you kill yourself to save someone it is because you wanted to. To be truly selfless it would have to be absurd in its pointlessness or just totally backward. For example, if an american soldier who hates terrorists were to one day, without thinking, get up and suicide bomb his camp. To me, this is as close to selfless as you can get. There can't be any thought, any reward, anything that lends itself to having a motivation to act really. It's just not possible.

A man has a wife and daughter that are raped and killed by another man. That man is found guilty and sentenced to death. The widower then steps in and takes the punishment for the crime, leaving the actual perpetrator innocent in the eyes of the law.

A man has a wife and daughter that are <READ THE ToS> and killed by another man. That man is found guilty and sentenced to death. The widower then steps in and takes the punishment for the crime, leaving the actual perpetrator innocent in the eyes of the law.
The widower is being selfish in that he is satisfying his sense of duty, or decency or whatever to take the place of the criminal. As convoluted and unlikely that situation is, his motivation is to fulfill some need of his at least in part for this scenario.

The widower is being selfish in that he is satisfying his sense of duty, or decency or whatever to take the place of the criminal. As convoluted and unlikely that situation is, his motivation is to fulfill some need of his at least in part for this scenario.

That's stretching pretty far. I think you are starting with a conclusion and working backwards.

My theory is that every act has some selfishness in it. You never explained any motives, so I had to extrapolate as best I could.

On top of that the scenario you proposed is extremely far fetched, and unlikely. Why would he possibly want to take the killer's place?

It seems to me like the title and general statement of this thread should have been.. Isn't it funny how everything someone does, benefits them in some way or another?

My theory is that every act has some selfishness in it. You never explained any motives, so I had to extrapolate as best I could.

On top of that the scenario you proposed is extremely far fetched, and unlikely. Why would he possibly want to take the killer's place?

The only motive I can think of is that the man must have loved the killer at least as much as he loved the wife and daughter. And if it is selfish to protect someone you love by dying in their place, then I guess that was selfish.

The only motive I can think of is that the man must have loved the killer at least as much as he loved the wife and daughter. And if it is selfish to protect someone you love by dying in their place, then I guess that was selfish.
I would argue that it is selfish.. he is letting a guilty person go free because of his love for them, isn't that a selfish act? He would rather see himself sentenced then the killer. You don't just do that unless you have a personal motivation to do so.

I would argue that it is selfish.. he is letting a guilty person go free because of his love for them, isn't that a selfish act? He would rather see himself sentenced then the killer. You don't just do that unless you have a personal motivation to do so.

Unless it is truly selfless, but that was ruled as impossible from the beginning. This is a puzzle with no solution. Diremongoose hit it on the head.

Unless it is truly selfless, but that was ruled as impossible from the beginning. This is a puzzle with no solution. Diremongoose hit it on the head.
Well I think in my post I proposed a pretty good scenario.. selflessness in the purest sense would esentially be an act of insanity with no meaning to the person.

Top Bottom