What's new

New Feature The new and improved LIKE system

Tristan, is there a limit to how many icons we have to choose from? I am not sure you'll want to make a messy interface with rows and rows of options at the bottom? Can there be a drop-down list?

Since this is my first attempt at graphics for the like system, can you try these on for size? Pick whichever one...

This is for Baldo's suggestion of "Hats off to You"

cowboy_hat_zpsf7751334.png

top_hat_zps63acbfa1.png

I tried to eyeball the dimensions... but if you know exact pixel requirements let me know.

Pessimistic.
pessimistic_zpsc3d51b36.png

And some poop, per request.

poop_zpsda271e02.png

Since this is my first attempt at graphics for the like system, can you try these on for size? Pick whichever one...

top_hat_zps63acbfa1.png

I tried to eyeball the dimensions... but if you know exact pixel requirements let me know.

Pessimistic.

poop_zpsda271e02.png
:) Nice.
What would make it even cooler is a yellow smiley figure person with the hat off the head and a little hand holding the hat

top_hat_zps63acbfa1.png

Pessimistic.

poop_zpsda271e02.png

24 X 16 largest Normal 16 X 16. You can right click them in Chrome btw and hit inspect element. It will show you dimensions :)

:) Nice.
What would make it even cooler is a yellow smiley figure person with the hat off the head and a little hand holding the hat

The challenge is the smaller the icon, you have loss of detail. So to get a figure like that would be so teensy weensy you probably wouldn't be able to make it out. BUT... I never say never. Will see what I can do.

Also, that is a cool tip about Chrome, thanks Tristan!

I like em but what would be cool is a set to replace then all at once. Something that is unified throughout so a matching art style. Otherwise it turns into a Mashup of icons that don't look good as a whole. I do like the titles on booooo! Sad panda And hooray! Basically the idea I see is some that can be used on the campaigns and some that apply to the whole site. But all having the same art style. I know I'm a picky bitch!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This might not be a bad time to review the ones that we currently have.

I don't think we need the "two thumbs up" one, because it's just quantifying a "like". Rather than having multiple flavors of "like", we should just stick to one and save some space.
I also don't think we need the "disagree" one - if you disagree with a post, then put it into words. I'd rather facilitate conversations, not encourage people to just hit "disagree" and leave it at that.
I don't see anyone using the "old post" button (I assume it's supposed to be used when someone posts something that has already been posted before by someone else?).
I'd also rather have a "helpful" than "useful" button.

Regarding the new ones, the "poop" button is setting the stage for trolling/conflicts. If the "face palm" button already managed to upset people in the "rants" forum, the "poop" one won't do us any favors. If someone marks my post as "poop", I'll consider that as an insult. I will absolutely not be amused, even if you believe that your defecation was most endearing.

Regarding the new ones, the "poop" button is setting the stage for trolling/conflicts. If the "face palm" button already managed to upset people in the "rants" forum, the "poop" one won't do us any favors. If someone marks my post as "poop", I'll consider that as an insult. I will absolutely not be amused, even if you believe that your defecation was most endearing.

I requested the poop one. You are close enough in your assessment of it. Kinda joking, mostly a down-vote type of button. You are also right about how it will be used and perceived by someone getting it on their post. Probably best not to actually put that one in.

This might not be a bad time to review the ones that we currently have.

I don't think we need the "two thumbs up" one, because it's just quantifying a "like". Rather than having multiple flavors of "like", we should just stick to one and save some space.
I also don't think we need the "disagree" one - if you disagree with a post, then put it into words. I'd rather facilitate conversations, not encourage people to just hit "disagree" and leave it at that.
I don't see anyone using the "old post" button (I assume it's supposed to be used when someone posts something that has already been posted before by someone else?).
I'd also rather have a "helpful" than "useful" button.

and a much more diverse norml activity version will be good. We are going to stay away from negative votes and more expressive emotes. Right now the old post is for necroing and the troll is for trolls. If these are hit 3 times the post is hidden. They are the only negative ratings available.

I will have to start combing the interwebs for some cool 'sets'. So if I understand correctly Tristan, you are looking for an 'additional SET' not a 'replacement SET' correct? How is something like that implemented? Can you just use certain sets in certain areas of the site like RP? OR will it be a global set?

PS - Very thoughtful points Jia! Thanks for mentioning those things. Sometimes you don't think about it until someone else gives their perspective. And for the record, I use the 'double thumbs up' quite often. It helps to give an emphatic LIKE to something, almost like an AWESOME, which is so much better than LIKE.

I use the 'double thumbs up' quite often. It helps to give an emphatic LIKE to something, almost like an AWESOME, which is so much better than LIKE.

Oh, I use it just as often as anyone else! But aside from my personal preference, I wonder if we really need a "double-like" next to the regular "like", should the number of symbols increase.

I will have to start combing the interwebs for some cool 'sets'. So if I understand correctly Tristan, you are looking for an 'additional SET' not a 'replacement SET' correct? How is something like that implemented? Can you just use certain sets in certain areas of the site like RP? OR will it be a global set?

PS - Very thoughtful points Jia! Thanks for mentioning those things. Sometimes you don't think about it until someone else gives their perspective. And for the record, I use the 'double thumbs up' quite often. It helps to give an emphatic LIKE to something, almost like an AWESOME, which is so much better than LIKE.

The entire set can be new. Though I suggest keeping some of what we have if they work.

These are smaller (16 x 16) so perhaps we can fit more of them in the line. I can find alternatives as well if you have other terms you were looking for. What do you think?

agree_zps1c1c03c7.png
= Agree
awesome_zpsafda491f.png
= Awesome
beer_zpsdd67344f.png
= Beer
caution_zps67a791ec.png
= Caution
confused_zpse035795f.png
= Confused
creative_zps25a4932d.png
= Creative