What's new

TO Buy or NOT to Buy? That is the question...

Cheese

Howdy-ho~ folks,

We have a lot of disjointed threads about recommendations, builds and other hardware showing that the basic question of "is this good?" comes up often and is usually made in a new post or randomly attached to a long dead one. (/ahem me)
Soooooo

Here's a new place for people to toss up what people are looking at and see if anyone in the community has an opinion on, or holds similar hardware to compare, recommend, or plain disregard because of problems not easily seen on the net.
(maybe a sticky?)

Now to the meat & taters:

At Meijer they have one of these Turtlebeach ear force PX4 for 50% off or $75.
This beats all the wireless gaming headsets out there in price, even refurbished except for the Logitech G930 REFURBISHED and I'm very skeptical of refurb items.... Plus the difference is minute.

I have the optical audio out on my computer, the Bluetooth receiver for the mic would cost me a couple bucks (whatever) and might even be a good idea in the long run. Therefore all the special requirements for PC connectivity are A-Ok on the PX4.

The one problem is that the specs and reviews on mic quality are all over the place on the PX4, while the G930 has a solid mic with noise cancellation.

FINAL QUESTION:
To buy or not to buy the PX4 at 50% off?
EDIT : (considering my cheap ass will freeze up like Schwarzenegger in a batman movie if I pay anywhere near $100)

I personally never really understood Turtle Beach. They always seemed to be really expensive with some lower quality, mostly to get the bucks from CoD players primarily.

That said, I am no where near an audiophile to give any advice. I've paid for Sennheiser PC 360. I've paid for a Razer Carcharias. I currently use a $10 logitech piece of shit because it's more comfortable than both of those and doesn't give me headaches.

So it may be one of those unfortunate scenarios where you may not know until you use it if it's worth it or not.

I'm not an audiophile either, but it does seems like a good deal for $75 when compared to other headsets in its' class. 20hz-20mhz covers the full average range for human hearing. I'm not a fan of omnidirectional mics though, because they'll pickup more ambient noise. It's hard to find one without an omni.

I use some fancy wired earbuds because everything else drives me nuts. But I'm not playing FPSes, so I'm good...

Funny thing is in the past I've only ever used headsets for Mumble / Teamspeak (hence my horrid audio) and never cared about anything but fit on my head.
Now after forcing everyone to suffer through my robot years I want a decent mic. [W] I cant use desktop mics as I always have music in the background.
As you can't buy any quality mic that clips to your head unless its a headset I figured why not get the good output sound quality too.

Problem is the whole package cant be had for less than huge bucks, and as Gyoin has stated it usually is so big and bulky it comes with a private zip code and headache included for free.
The PX4 in box was light enough I don't think the headset would cause any problems, but if the core reason is the mic why take the omidirectional?
Well... there's not much else when it comes to on your head mic stuff.

I'd like to have a noise cancelling mic that has a very short, but really good quality pickup.
Directional is better, but hard as shit to find in my price range of under $100.
I've settled for the theory of noise cancellation.

Another reason is that I'm setting up my place for a two terminal setup. As in anyone who comes to visit can just sit down at my guest computer and play their game with a decent rig keys, mouse, headset included.
Therefore one set of nice headphones becomes even more important. (not that anyone will ever visit except for Milleuda)

TLDR:
Nothing else in the category I know of meets the specs at this price.
The mic may suck, but is probably better than the crap I use.
I need someone to push me over to the buy category as I'm too much a miser to do it on my own.
Anyone know someone with the headset to comment on fit and mic?

(I'll probably just buy it sunday because YOLO bitch)

As you can't buy any quality mic that clips to your head unless its a headset I figured why not get the good output sound quality too.

Just something to consider, I use option 2 from our FAQ section

Need a good mic? Here are two examples of good microphones in the affordable category and the must have the best category:
  1. Headset and microphone(for those who must have the best):http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-PC-360-Headset-Gaming/dp/B003DA4D2U/ref=pd_cp_e_0
  2. Microphone only (Best quality at the most affordable price):http://www.amazon.com/Zalman-Zm-Mic1-Sensitivity-Headphone-Microphone/dp/B00029MTMQ/ref=pd_cp_e_1
  3. If you need a more professional mic you can always go with: http://www.amazon.com/Samson-C01UCW-Studio-Cakewalk-Sonar/dp/B000PTF0E2/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1363660515&sr=1-1&keywords=samson c0u1 I would however look on ebay as their prices are way better and worth it as you get it NEW.

And it is pretty damn awesome.

Problem with audiophile people is that our needs are 100% different.
I checked out the Zalman ZM1 info & demos.
For the cost the quality is great, but there is no comment on the gain and interplay of sound levels for hitting the handsfree threshold in Mumble / Teamspeak.
To be honest I was sold when I heard a demo of the level changes at different distances with a single audio source. However...
Because of the occasional clip with multiple audio sources I'm led to believe that this a really good quality mic, but not the best for multiple source audio like I enjoy to live in.

I really need something just in front of my mouth to keep the threshold reasonable.
The one time I used a wired class of mic that was clipped on, or built into the earbud cord it was as disastrous as an open stand microphone.

Honestly I appreciate the feedback as it forces me to think deeper about what I need compared to what I have experienced.
Don't ever think I'm pulling your ideas apart because they are valuable and that's exactly why I made this post.
What they do is force an internal debate I can write down and think more clearly about what is needed and what I must sacrifice for price and utility.

Thinking Thinking Thinking
Thanks!

Look at the last item on that list it sits on your desk and you can get it on ebay for CHEAP

Look at the last item on that list it sits on your desk and you can get it on ebay for CHEAP

I've got a SONY ECM-PCV80U (funny Japanese review A B ) which I think is a solid condenser mic @ $30, good range and comes with a regular 3 prong to 3.5mm jack in addition to a USB audio in/out converter.
What really got me is how its very receptive to distance, but in my environment background noises kill any standing mics.
Problem is that my radio is always on and any quality condenser mic pick up everything around me.

Background noise is no problem for videos or push to talk, but my dumbfinger ass can't play games and push to talk at the same time.
Oh, and I LOVE noisy keyboards. (Think Mindy and how his interesting apartment picks up everything)

If I were a purely headphone person, and my background was relatively silent this would be a very easy decision.
I would have bought something else years ago.

Another reason is that I'm setting up my place for a two terminal setup. As in anyone who comes to visit can just sit down at my guest computer and play their game with a decent rig keys, mouse, headset included.
Therefore one set of nice headphones becomes even more important. (not that anyone will ever visit except for Milleuda)

(I'll probably just buy it sunday because YOLO bitch)

Off-topic but we need to pick a summer weekend for this <3

Conversation STARTED~

And anyone else is welcome to join us, or just stop by randomly.
However my tiny house only sleeps 3 comfortably and 5 max.
Reserve now!

Headsets that I’ve used, and my experiences with them. I don’t consider myself to be an audiophile, I want working audio. If I can adjust stuff, great, I like settings.

Astro A40 (including mixamp), audio was smooth in my opinion, mic is crappy if you connect it through their mixamp. If you plug the mic into a 3.5mm port in the pc, it works better. I am like Gyoin and get headaches from certain headsets; this one gave me massive headache after only some hour of play. I don’t recommend, at all. (Especially not for their price)

Logitech G430, it has a nice mic for a gaming headset, comes with an (optional) external USB audio card which allows you to adjust the equalizer and whatnot manually. It works great and is decently cheap. But gives me headaches. Would recommend actually, but you need to try them on first.

Corsair Vengeance 1500 v2, good audio and mic, but the volume control is extremely bad. Gave me the headaches. Do not recommend, sadly.

Steelseries Siberia V2, audio works, mic is insanely crappy (might just be mine). Doesn’t give me headaches, they’re also pink which is awesome, right?

Those are the ones I can remember trying. So far, my conclusion has been the following: I’m using my Steelseries, because that doesn’t give me a headache. For a mic I went off and bought a 'proper' Audio Technica one, and it works wonders. USB studio microphones can be found for a reasonable price nowadays, and they are fantastic.
They do require some extra stuff like stands and shock mounts though, which might be an issue for some people and indeed increases the price.

Sennheiser headsets are really good overall it seems, I’d say they are the best brand for gaming headsets. They have great microphones, and friends who use Sennheiser stuff say the audio is great too. If you can use these types of headsets, I’d go with that. Sadly I can’t use those.

Tristan converted me to Sennheiser a couple of years ago. They ain't cheap but totally worth it.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I would never recommend Logitech to anyone. They only make good webcams. sound quality in ear and mic are horrible for price tag.

Honestly I'd agree about mainstream brand recommendations more than you'd think.
When I look at anything anyone else is doing any known brand is nothing but a familiar pillar to lean against.
(yeah Logitech is my tech version of a rest-stop hamburger, it never lets me down and I don't scream on my way to the rest stop toilet like when I use Apple, hence loyalty)

Most of my current perefial tech was bought for pennies on the penny, yeah really, in China and will last me many years without the localization brand stamp.
Still, Logitech makes great mice, really good mice to this day.

The rest I'm learning and only went on raw numbers. Hence the creation of Buy or Not to buy.

I really should have made it much more clear:
$100 is my TAMPAX Maximum absorbency. Even that much is liable to seepage and discomfort

*I need light flow price and weight that can withstand an angry hasn't been touched in months combined with lunar eclipse monthly reset type internal rejection.
(if you don't understand this, you haven't been married)

There are some Sennheiser Headphoneswith replacable cable. This means they basically never break, since you can simply change the cable. I've been using mine for 4 years and it survived:
1. Hurricane like Rain
2. Me sleeping on top of it (300lb+)
3. My nephew pulling on it as strong as possible

They are indestructable.

Keeping this in mind, and thinking about your money limit, I'd suggest:
This one https://m.thomann.de/intl/sennheiser_hd215.htm?i11l=en_GB:US.EUR:USD&ref=mm_a_15
Together with the Antlion it should be just in your price range if you find them in the US

Top Bottom