What's new

What are you drinking tonight? (Beer & Booze)

One of my favorite breweries back home, Burley Oak just started canning their beer! Naturally, I had to pick up their first release while I'm home for a short visit.
http://burleyoak.com/
thumbnail

My selection for tonight's fun and tomorrow's hangover.
Probably wont get through them all, but I'll try my best!

TSbUeUt.jpg

Beer #1 Guinness Blonde
I was very suspicious of this one, not that Guinness is bad its just so, so plain. Well the blonde is a little more interesting with some light characters but given a good background and body from the unique yeast pairing.
Its as if someone tried to make a light Kolsch, but the yeast said "No, today we make Pale Stout!"
If you get a chance, try it.
http://www.thrillist.com/drink/nation/guinness-blonde-american-lager-the-inside-story

Beer #2 Yakima Glory
DARK amber IPA style, but with a porter body. Thick, mushy, not too bitter, not sweet lots of nutty and bready tones. Absolutely recommended, and comes with a hell of a kick... already buzzed! Because of the kick and surprising heaviness of this ale I'm not sure what to pick next. Decisions, Decisions...
http://www.victorybeer.com/beers/yakima-glory/

Beer #3 Captain Sig's Northwestern Ale
Another ale much darker than I expected, red and almost as deep as the Yakima, but not as much bread flavor. Any sweetness is accented extremely well with what almost tastes like lime. The finish leaves some of the bitter hopp acid which goes so well with that crisp sweet malt.
Sweet [deity of choice] Rogue brewery knows how to make amazing beer.
http://www.fvnorthwestern.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/10-10-08_deadliest-ale.pdf

Beer #4 Iniquity, Imperial Black Ale
Big dark beer yummyness. Not quite coffee or chocolate, but close to both, thanks to the high hop these flavors are a little muted by the lighter side of citrus. Flavor is winning in this glass, just a tiny bit too sweet. Probably because of how much dark malt they needed to match the IPA hop profile.
Go for it, as anyone who plans to drink a lot of big dark beer might like that sugar for a nice rest.
http://www.stbcbeer.com/year-round-imperials/iniquity-beer-page/

While I was at the parents, I make it a point to stop by the local growler shop. I was so happy to find another Burley Oak brew canned!

Sorry Chicky - One of Burley Oak's sour beers with that hoppyness you can expect from any IPA

I love sour beers and I am constantly looking for new ones! If anyone knows of a good sour beer let me know!!

I could never really get into beer, but since moving to New York I've been loving the hard cider across the board. Starting with Angry Orchard.
Nice. Strongbow is my favorite of the big brands... However if you ever see any "Red Branch" stuff you should give it try! All the flavors are good and they're actually cizers, which means they are made with apples and honey. They have awesome flavors including my favorite, black cherry

Strongbow is my favorite of the big brands...

Ugh. Strongbow changed their recipe about two years ago. It's not shit, and utterly depressing.

Starting with Angry Orchard.

I love the Ginger Angry Orchard. So good. Plus, being near the Boston area and it being made by Sam Adams, I'm pretty close to where it's made. Funny thing is, Sam Adams actually bought out orchards in France specifically to make this cider. I mean, they're in New England! Tons of orchards. But what can you do.

Welcome to the club!
Looks like a very interesting beer. Tell us how it was, if you would.

My menu for the evening:
blue-moon-blackberry-tart-ale.png

Special summer brew that looks interesting.

I should cook this. Or actually everybody in this thread should cook this: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/03/beeramisu-guinness-tiramisu-st-patricks-day.html

Guinness Week: Beeramisu

About This Recipe

YIELD: 12
ACTIVE TIME: 45 minutes
TOTAL TIME: 12 hours
SPECIAL EQUIPMENT: 9 x 9 dish, large trifle bowl, or individual dessert cups
Ingredients

• 1 pound mascarpone, softened
  • 3/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
  • 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons plus 1/2 cup Irish Cream such as Bailey's or Carolan's, divided
  • 8 ounces Guinness
  • 36 savoiardi (Italian ladyfingers)
  • Small bar good-quality chocolate, for shaving
Procedures

1. Combine the mascarpone and sugar in a medium bowl, stir vigorously to dissolve sugar. Place whipping cream and 2 tablespoons Irish Cream in a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment. Whip on high until stiff peaks form, 2-3 minutes. Gently fold whipped cream into mascarpone.
  2. Pour Guinness into a shallow bowl. One at a time, dip ladyfingers into Guinness on each side. Don't soak them: counting to one on each side will provide all the stout flavor and moisture you'll need. Place in a tight single layer in dish, breaking them into pieces as necessary. Drizzle 1/4 cup Irish Cream over entire layer. Pour about 1-2 cups of the mascarpone mixture over ladyfingers until covered, spreading smooth with a spatula. Grate a layer of chocolate shavings over the top with a microplane or a vegetable peeler.
  3. Repeat process with another layer. Refrigerate for at least 12 hours or overnight before serving.

This is really all I've had this summer. I've been good and drinking a lot more water than I used to, but man you just can't go without a nice sam summer.

sam-adams-summer-ale.jpg

Came home to a surprise from the GF. Quite a few newbies in the mix for me here, including a Saison that I've always wanted to try.

586ea3a65148f17f31cffc790175ec2d.jpg

The can of Pilot Rock is what I chose to try first, and it's a bit of grittier porter (in a good way!).

Next up, I gotta get me some of that Cheese homemade cider...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
looks like a fantastic selection there!
Many of them are new to me and I'll be waiting for the reviews.

Omme Gang Upside Brown Farmhouse Ale

Truth be told, I'm not keen on the fruity beers but I actually like this one quite a bit. It's a polar opposite of the rotten fruit taste I generally expect, and is instead pleasantly subtle in flavor. The aroma, though, is quite strong in its fruitiness - a bit too much for my tastes. I mean, the more I drink the less I smell it, but my first impression was pretty harsh.

All in all, I give it a 4/5. Good for what it is and worth a try, but unlikely to become an everyday favorite.

Strong Apple note to the Ephemere. Not as crisp as a cider, but not as ripe as many wheat lager fusions (wheat ales just do it better?). Cloudy in color; resembled an Arnold Palmer.

If you want something festive and alcoholic that isn't a cider, wine, mead, or champagne, then this is a great try.

//edit

Speaking of mead, I picked up a bottle of Sap Houses vanilla mead on my gfs bday.

Sap-house-meadery-vanilla-bean-1950-620x360.jpg

(Not my photo)

Despite our first mistake being not letting it breathe (it tasted horrible!), even after it had a chance to do so this just wasn't our thing. At $30 for the bottle (about three glasses), I can't justify another purchase. I am happy we tried it though. #ifihashtaggedthisiswhereYOLOmightgo

Last edited:
I know it's not beer...but I was thinking about you guys!

5baa02d99983c99349207a72c5282ce3.jpg

Jack and Diet and doughnuts!

Top Bottom