What's new

What is your TV Guide List?

I was really excited for this and it failed my expectations. Especially what happened in the first episode of the second season. They spend the entire first season doing something and then the second season goes "nope, gone forever". Stopped watching.

Unfortunately the premise sounds better than it actually is. They needed to shift gears to keep the story moving. I enjoy it for what it is, but you need to suspend some common sense to watch it. Some shows try to make it as if it was real with these crazy premises though and its hard to take seriously.

Unfortunately the premise sounds better than it actually is. They needed to shift gears to keep the story moving. I enjoy it for what it is, but you need to suspend some common sense to watch it. Some shows try to make it as if it was real with these crazy premises though and its hard to take seriously.
Yeah, it got a little too "Lost" for me.

I was really excited for this and it failed my expectations. Especially what happened in the first episode of the second season.

They spend the entire first season finding Danny and then the second season goes "nope, gone forever. He dead now." Stopped watching.

I'm glad I didn't bother. We ditched our satellite and got a Roku during the season break and I never made the effort to watch it on live tv when it came back on.

I'm glad I didn't bother. We ditched our satellite and got a Roku during the season break and I never made the effort to watch it on live tv when it came back on.

The character was a means to drive the story. I don't mind when series kill off characters that really have no place to go. They could've had him be captured for more episodes (boring 24 style), or try and rework him into having some other purpose. It was a lot easier to kill him off and make him a martyr for the other characters.

In no particular order...
  • Elementary
  • Person of Interest
  • Hell on Wheels
  • Burn Notice
  • The major "adult" cartoons (Family Guy, South Park, Archer, Bob's Burgers, etc ad infinitum)
  • Falling Skies
  • Mentalist
  • Pawn Stars
  • Duck Dynasty (I promise you it's good)
  • White Collar
  • Anything involving shooting sports or guns in general
  • I'm sure some other things I'm forgetting

That show had a very fatal flaw. A character who could literally flip from being very genre savvy to a total moron between ad breaks. I hate that shit. The writing was really inconsistent.

Fortunately, there's a number of good shows rolling around. Here are my selections in no particular order:

Game of Thrones - They've made some tweaks from the books, but I'm okay with it. Great HBO show.
Orphan Black - BBC America show about human clones. The main actress is fantastic.
The Newsroom - Come for the epic monologue in the first episode, stay for the witty banter and the commentary on journalism and media. A must watch if you enjoyed The West Wing.
The Americans - Russian deep-cover spies during the cold war. Go watch it. Its AMAZING.
Leverage - The show is finished now, but its an awesome show. If you like stuff like Ocean's Eleven, this series is for you.
Walking Dead - Its stagnating at the moment which is annoying, but its still got some great performances.
The Mentalist - Its starting to drag a little, but its still a highly enjoyable show.
Sherlock - The BBC series with Benedict Cumberbatch as Sherlock and Martin Freeman as Watson. A cracking show.
Jekyll - From a few years back, and only a miniseries, but watch James Nesbitt play two incredible roles in a modern retelling of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. Remember kids, love is a psychopath.

Some animation:
Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood - One of the few anime I can heartily recommend in English dub. Fantastic animation, great story, great voice acting. Even my fiance enjoyed it.
X - A series about choice vs destiny. Fantastic show, if somewhat downer.
Hellsing OVA series - Stellar show, and again, top notch english voice acting.
Darker Than Black - Cool show about people with crazy powers. Its pretty badass. Not to be confused with Bible Black.
Young Justice - Batman takes the sidekicks of some of the big hitters in the Justice League, and creates a cover superhero team. Both seasons of this are awesome.
Macross Frontier - Just got through watching this. Seriously epic shit if you like awesome mecha battles. The songs are awesome too.
Avatar: The Last Airbender - Ignore the horrible movie by M.Night I-make-bad-thrillers, this series is THE SHIT. And it only gets stronger.
Avatar: The Legend of Korra - yes, the end of the 1st series tied everything up a little too nicely. But they didn't know they would get picked up for a second season until they'd finished. Happily, there's two more seasons on the way!

Lately I've been power watching through the Dr Who revival. I want to catch up before the Day of the Doctor at the end of November.

Some new shows have joined my lineup with a new fall season:
  • Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.
  • The Goldbergs
  • The Blacklist
  • The Michael J. Fox Show
  • Brooklyn Nine-Nine

My current List of shows I watch on a regular basis is: (thank god for Hulu, cause I don't actually own a TV or have cable)
  1. Modern Family (amazing never unhappy with an episode)
  2. Family Guy
  3. Burn Notice (like this before the rest of the yuppies! MacGuiver for the 20th century, how could you not love it!)
  4. The Walking Dead (ZOMBIES!!)
  5. Hells Kitchen (made it to season 9 then it got boring)
  6. Kitchen Nightmares (you will never eat at a restaurant the same again)
  7. Hotel Nightmares (just started)
  8. Jersey Shore... Sadly...
  9. Fringe (Modern Day X Files where they show the abnormalities)
  10. Misfits (Delinquent kids with super powers.. it is also british)
  11. The Office
  12. Homeland (Drama about terrorists!)
  13. New Girl (comedy)
  14. Falling Skies (Generic Alien invasion scenario)
Shows I miss:
  • Kings (also good if you didn't see it yet, a great look at old rennasaince religion and war set in modern futuristic times)
  • Kyle XY
  • Dead Like Me (SO AMAZING, still amazing if you haven't seen it)
  • Terra Nova (It grew on me haha)
  • Flashpoint (Canadian series was REALLY GOOD)

Burn Notice is great. Recently discovered The Good Wife, great show. And the Blacklist is just wow! Intense!

If you are a fan of comics and marvel in particular you should despise agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. It is a stupid ABC family version of something that could have been awesome. Every episode could have been as epic as the avengers movie with cameos and spots from every damn thing around the marvel universe. Shield puts there fingers in every franchise in the marvel universe.

If you are a fan of comics and marvel in particular you should despise agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. It is a stupid ABC family version of something that could have been awesome. Every episode could have been as epic as the avengers movie with cameos and spots from every damn thing around the marvel universe. Shield puts there fingers in every franchise in the marvel universe.

They are keeping the cameos out of the television show to stop from distracting from the movies. They have had a few people including Nick Fury cameo though.

Apparently there will be some big movie tie ins with Thor and Captain America: Winter Soldier.

The only things I'm watching at the moment are the walking dead, hello ladies, and eastbound and down.

Just saw a new show called Mind Games. It has Christian Slater and Steve Zahn. It was really good. It reminds me of Lie to Me which was one of my favorite shows while it lasted.

Mind Games is about two brothers one of which is a chastised blue collar con man (securities fraud) and another who is a bi-polar, ex professor specializing in human behavior starting a business of manipulating people into doing things the way they want them to. They take all the known behavioral science to manipulate people into making decisions based on what outcome their clients want.

Steve Zahn is perfect in his roll of off the wall, yet brilliant when focused. Christian Slater plays the dirty, underhanded, cheating type that has a golden streak of goodness when it comes to his brother. The writing is good, and there is plenty of room to have fun in the episodes ahead. There is an extreme risk of the subject matter going over the line to make you not empathize with the main characters, but as for the first episode they deftly kept me on the side of rooting for Zahn, Slater, and crew. If they can keep it up it will be a brilliant series.

How I met your Mother
Supernatural (through season 8)
Game of Thrones
Beauty and the Beast
Bones
Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Charmed
Revolution
Falling Skies
Big Bang Theory
Modern Family
Family Guy