What's new

Fiction Sci-fi/Cyberpunk reads

thesuperjman

Crafter
I'm finishing Mona Lisa Overdrive of the Sprawl trilogy by William Gibson soon, and thought it would be fun to see what other cybperunk or sci-fi novels out there you all would reccomend!

Besides the Sprawl trilogy, sci-fi/cyberpunk I want to recommend are The entire Dune series, The entire Expanse series, The Last Human, and the Ghost in the Shell manga. Anybody else read any of those and have any thoughts?

Sadly I have not read any of them yet, except watching the Ghost in the Shell anime series. Of course, the first novel of Dune will hopefully get read this month as Hole and I read it for our bookclub. I tend to read a lot more fantasy than sci-fi, something I need to work on evening out. 😬 I'm sure you've probably read these before but, I'd like to suggest: The Forever War by Joe Haldeman, Starship Troopers by Robert Heinlein, The Spiral Wars novels by Joel Shepherd, and Armor by John Steakley (I really enjoyed this one). Heroes Die by Matthew Woodring Stover is another one I really enjoyed, but I'd be inclined to say it's more Fantasy than Sci-Fi. It's part of a series, but I haven't read any of the other ones.

Nice, thanks for sharing! I'll add those to my list!

Also, I had no clue Starship Troopers was a book!
Yes, no problem! The Starship Troopers book is not quite like the movie, or should I rather say it's the other way around... ;) However, that movie still holds a special, special in my heart. Right along with the Fifth Element.

I have also heard good things about the Culture series by Ian Banks as well as the novel Blindsight by Peter Watts.

Just finished Artemis by Andy Weir. Likeable characters, clever plot twist, scientific accuracy, everything you'd expect from The Martian's author.

For some sci-fi that's a little different, the Salvation Sequence series by Peter Hamilton is a solid choice. The premise of transporter technology and how that changes humans is fascinating to contemplate. Also, I got done reading Seveneves by Neil Stephenson a little while back, and while his stories can drag on a little too much, the premise was awesome. Basically something happens one day, and humanity must find a way to survive through an earth extinction level event. Its a fresh take on that trope, and although there is some tech just outside of what's available today, it's mostly based on our current tech level (to start).

Top Bottom