What's new

Ark: Survival Evolved

Simpwn

Praise the Sun!
This game looks beautiful. I hope this turns into a great first person survival game. Just being able to explore an open world with dinosaurs like this seems fun.

How is it? I saw it on sale on steam and was curious if it was worth it.

I'm still dabbling in it, and I have yet to figure out what makes it stand apart from all those other survival games, aside from your character constantly running (hah!) the danger of becoming a tasty dino snack.
Perhaps Jiggyyo can weigh in on this. He's already managed to tame a t-rex, which I think makes him the authority.

I snagged it yesterday, definitely seems more fun with a group

Sent from Moto X using Tapatalk.

JIA? OMG. How you been bro?

Heya Psi! What have you been up to? ^^
I've had the usual ups and downs that life throws at you. The only game-changer (pun intended) lately has been my new highend-ish PC, which puts gaming right back on my radar!

And for the record: I have to admit, after some initial skepticism, ARK is starting to grow on me.
If you're not "oversaturated" with survival games, and you find the idea of taming dinosaurs and using them as mounts intriguing, ARK just might be your game; taking into account how incredibly diligent the devs are, and that the game already feels somewhat "complete" (even though it's just entered early access and has so much more to come), I can recommend getting ARK if you're on the fence!

Heya Psi! What have you been up to? ^^
I've had the usual ups and downs that life throws at you. The only game-changer (pun intended) lately has been my new highend-ish PC, which puts gaming right back on my radar!

And for the record: I have to admit, after some initial skepticism, ARK is starting to grow on me.
If you're not "oversaturated" with survival games, and you find the idea of taming dinosaurs and using them as mounts intriguing, ARK just might be your game; taking into account how incredibly diligent the devs are, and that the game already feels somewhat "complete" (even though it's just entered early access and has so much more to come), I can recommend getting ARK if you're on the fence!

Glad you are back Jia! I'll consider picking it up if people are playing as it looks interesting. Steam sale is incoming anyway.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Does not have tentacles, would not recommend the game.

Seriously though, this game is totally worth ~$25 in my opinion. It does seem like another survival game from the looks of it, but there’s so much more to it when you start playing it. The beginning is a pain in the butt, especially if you play all by yourself. But when you get up to higher levels, and venture out into the forest… It is crazy! I’m about level 34 on my server, and that’s when you should start heading inland to gather metal. That’s what me and my friend did yesterday. We made a trip from the north-western part of the island, all the way down to the south-eastern area. On the way there we encountered all kinds of dinosaurs, and we had to sneak by them. This journey really showed me what Ark can be, the wildlife is actually dangerous, unlike many other survival games. And the feeling when you reach a new destination, and get to see new scenery, is so satisfying.
Of course, the game has a major downside at the time I wrote this. That is the performance issues. I get around 30fps, with severe frame drops all the way down to 5fps. Those drops are only when I’m loading in new areas though, and the mining nodes are invisible sometimes, where the area hasn’t loaded yet. But the developers are pushing out lots of patches, which is very promising. And their main priority is the performance issues, which has been slightly fixed overtime, but is nowhere near optimal right now.
Yes I’ve tamed a T-rex, her name is Captain Morgan. Yes, gender bending.

Tl;dr If you want something where you decide what you want to do, and is creative enough to actually find stuff to do on a big island filled with dinosaurs that will kill you. And you can stand the performance issues currently in the game… You should buy this game.

30 hours into the game, and I can't stop playing it. That's saying a lot from a guy who grows tired of most games after a few hours. But not this one!

I'm pretty excited about this game right now. Maybe it's because I took my tamed Raptor for its first ride just now (initially he wanted to bite my face off, but by now we're best buddies!) - you can't imagine the rush you get from outrunning a T-Rex!

2 Questions:
- Is modding planned for this game?
- Can you build a base? (also can you flatten land)?

From what I know there will be modding support, and if you look at the Steam store page it says that the game has Workshop support.
Yes, you can build a base. The building system can be compared to how Rust is. You can’t flatten land, but you can put down pillars to build where it’s not flat.

So, erm as I found out today. (Jia can testify to this) If you build on uneven land and have the stilts you need to make sure you have an actual floor or some idiot might come along and do "drag body" *cough cough* ¬_¬ wasn't me i swear...

Top Bottom