What's new

Ark: Survival Evolved

All I've heard is great things on how fun it is. I bought it. I'll let everyone know my impressions.

some idiot might come along and do "drag body"
We could build a maze, dump all the unconscious people we can find in the middle of it and watch them wander around after they wake up.

Oh nevermind, I completely forgot that you play this with other people. Interest dead.

You can pretty much turn it into a single player game by playing on your own private server.

Since it was so new I didn't think you'd get any more than that 17% discount they are currently running.

My initial impressions after about 1.5 hrs.
- I see tons of servers (350+) that max at 70 people. All different server loads which is nice. It allows you to choose how crazy you want to go.
- The character you create on one server doesn't transfer to another.
- The server I chose allows you to be killed while logged out of the game. A bit hardcore if you ask me. Gotta find a good place to hide.
- After you die you can find your body and recover your stuff --- if the person that killed you didn't already loot it.
- The game has some framerate and frame skipping issues but from what I'm reading it's continuously being addressed.

I think this game is an ideal group game. I think AltTabMe should choose a server (or host our own private one) and explore together.

Since it was so new I didn't think you'd get any more than that 17% discount they are currently running.
Since this game was released just a week ago, I also don't expect them to reduce the price even further. It's been on top of the Steam sales since the moment it was released - and since it's in early access, you can expect its price to go up, rather than down.

- The character you create on one server doesn't transfer to another.
- The server I chose allows you to be killed while logged out of the game. A bit hardcore if you ask me. Gotta find a good place to hide.
(...)
I think this game is an ideal group game. I think AltTabMe should choose a server (or host our own private one) and explore together.

Transferring a character to another server will be implemented in the future, though (apparently) you will only be able to transfer your character's level and the engrams he's unlocked.

PvE servers are much more relaxed, since you needn't worry about getting killed by other players.
While you can still die offline, you can (mostly) prevent it from happening by building a house in which your offline character can sleep safely. Your buildings can't be destroyed by other players in PvE mode.

And I agree, I also think that it's the perfect game for a group. Four of us Euro-TABers have been playing together over the weekend, and we're having a blast!

Now that I found the PvE servers I'm a little bit happier. I still die a good amount to funny/stupid things like trying to kill a brontosaurus with a spear. I don't recommend trying that. You do respawn near your death area, but it's kind of disorienting at first that it took me a few deaths before I could find my bearings.

Well decide on a server type and a server or let me know if you hear of any hosting services. I'll try to sit down and look into it at work.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I'm currently playing on a private server hosted by a star citizen streamer I know. He's still getting the server tweaked but eventually it will be a PvE server and he might try upping the difficulty to make it more of a challenge. Pretty freakin fun so far, there are 2 main tribes on the server and there was talk of a competition - either a PvE race to the top or an all out tribe war at some point. If you guys are interested in this server you just need to add him on steam and get the password - his steam name is bopbarker - you can tell him you are friends with Crake. They had an issue with the password getting out so he is going to implement a white list soon, but this is the best time to get in since there are no restrictions yet. A bunch of star citizen streamers play on the server and they are very serious about preventing griefing.

I'll be streaming this server during the late night hours tonight so check it out if you are interested!

Sent from Moto X using Tapatalk.

I also don't recomment attacking anything that looks like it has a shell with a spear XD
once you have a velocoraptor getting meat and such is so much easier.
i tamed an ankylo earlier. it eats the yellow berries.
and also took like over an hour to do ¬_¬

I'm currently playing on a private server hosted by a star citizen streamer I know. He's still getting the server tweaked but eventually it will be a PvE server and he might try upping the difficulty to make it more of a challenge. Pretty freakin fun so far, there are 2 main tribes on the server and there was talk of a competition - either a PvE race to the top or an all out tribe war at some point. If you guys are interested in this server you just need to add him on steam and get the password - his steam name is bopbarker - you can tell him you are friends with Crake. They had an issue with the password getting out so he is going to implement a white list soon, but this is the best time to get in since there are no restrictions yet. A bunch of star citizen streamers play on the server and they are very serious about preventing griefing.

I'll be streaming this server during the late night hours tonight so check it out if you are interested!

Sent from Moto X using Tapatalk.

Sounds great dude, ill add him.

Im about to head out to work but I picked up the game and it is installing. Ill be on tomorrow afternoon/evening.

Im about to head out to work but I picked up the game and it is installing. Ill be on tomorrow afternoon/evening.

Cool, definitely worth hopping on Bop's server - advancing in a big tribe with no griefers is great

Cool, definitely worth hopping on Bop's server - advancing in a big tribe with no griefers is great

I told Remains to post up here as he has another solid server he's been rocking with his bro. Should definitely consolidate or at least go back n forth.

Yea since characters are locked to the server you play on its best to find a single one or two and work on progressing there. If we can all decide on a server I'll hop over. The bopbarker one sounds good if we can all get access. I prefer PvE because griefing without being in the game is lame.

Yea since characters are locked to the server you play on its best to find a single one or two and work on progressing there. If we can all decide on a server I'll hop over. The bopbarker one sounds good if we can all get access. I prefer PvE because griefing without being in the game is lame.

Yeah just message that dude. He will give you access. Course I have no idea which tribe Crake is in. Gonna workout a bit and then jump on for the evening.

About character transfers:
You can transfer characters, this you do at Obelisks. The 3 big structures at NW, SE and SW of the map. You interact with a thing there, and you can choose to Upload/Download your character/dinosaurs.

How I’ve read and understood the system, it works is this way:
You can upload your character to Ark from official servers, and then download them anywhere. Same goes with dinosaurs you’ve tamed. I don’t believe you can download unofficial characters on official servers, since they can’t be sure you didn’t use cheats to get items.

You can transfer characters, I have screenshots of the UI for it. But I don’t fully know how the actual move works between servers, but you need to get to an Obelisk.

About character transfers:
You can transfer characters, this you do at Obelisks. The 3 big structures at NW, SE and SW of the map. You interact with a thing there, and you can choose to Upload/Download your character/dinosaurs.

How I’ve read and understood the system, it works is this way:
You can upload your character to Ark from official servers, and then download them anywhere. Same goes with dinosaurs you’ve tamed. I don’t believe you can download unofficial characters on official servers, since they can’t be sure you didn’t use cheats to get items.

You can transfer characters, I have screenshots of the UI for it. But I don’t fully know how the actual move works between servers, but you need to get to an Obelisk.

Awesome! I'll have to try that out the next time I'm ingame!

Speaking of, is your server online 24/7, Jiggy?

On a side note, Euchale: They've just released the ARK Dev Kit, allowing distribution of mods and maps via Steam's Workshop.

Bunch of us jumped on with Crake. Loving the game so far imo. Devs are enthusiastic and update frequently and the workshop will allow for innovation and longevity.

Also I have a Triceratops named Tiny...that is all.

This game is far better with friends. Working together to build bases and train dinos makes the game go a lot smoother.

Top Bottom