What's new

Favorite Manga - Anime

Thovarisk

[Ragnarok was his name]
As recently there has been an influx of just very crappy manga and anime I feel like helping out my fellow guildies with a few recommendations.
Just post your recomendations with a brief explanation about what the series is about and why you recommend it.
As I have read more manga than I can remember I'll just post a few of my very favorites.
*/*/ click the name for a link /*/*
Manga

Vagabond - Historic manga about the legendary swordsman Miyamoto Musashi, the art on this series is outstanding!

Battle Angel Alita - Sci-Fi manga about a combat android and her fight for survival and self discovery in a post apocaliptic world, Amazing story twists in the first series but it gets too mainstream in the second part "Last Order".

Tower of God - Fantasy story about a boy and his climb on the tower that can grant any wish come true if you make it to the top. I got hooked on this one really fast and can't get enough of it, technically not a manga but a Korean Manwha in a webcomic format.

GE Good Ending - Romantic manga about a boy being taught the ways of romance by a girl on his class. Sounds very generic but the story takes various twists along the lines that keeps you wanting more, besides I really like this mangaka's art style.

Vinland Saga - Historic manga about a viking warrior and his adventure to revenge his heroic father, the art style on this one grew up on me but I really didn't like it much at the begining. The story is what kept me going but after a while I see myself waiting on new releases every week.

The Breaker - Korean Manwha about a bullied boy and how he learns martial arts under a very dark teacher, action packed and very solid and skillfull art. It continues on a second series "New Waves" but the story decays somewhat.

Ubel Blatt - (evil blade) A betrayed warrior is reborn to take vengeance on his past comrades that took all the glory as well as his life and the lives of his other companions. Action and power is what I like about this manga plus a different aproach to the fantasy genre, the art isn't bad at all either.

RRR Rock and Roll Ricky - Sports manga about a loser rock guitarist in his early 30's that enters the boxing world. Compared a LOT with Hajime Ippo but way shorter and to the point no filler anywhere to be seen, and really funny too. (by Gyoin's request)

Anime
On this section I won't go much into detail about the series but I tried to avoid the very obvious ones like Evangelion and the new movies etc...

Jormungandr - The story about a boy soldier travelling with an arms dealer.

Samurai Champloo - 2 roaming samurai and a lost girl looking for a lost man, AMAZING soundtrack.

Cowboy Bebop - Space bounty hunters just trying to make a living, again SUPERB soundtrack. (a classic)

FLCL - furi koori just random silliness and histerical comic sense, very short though.

Steins Gate - your mind WILL get twisted in ways you never imagined, time travel and conspiration theories will mess with your head.

Durarara! - the everyday lives of inhabitants of current days tokyo... oh and a headless fairy riding a black racing motorcycle, yeah... thats the best description I can give you. Watch it!

Black Lagoon - A Japanese salary-man gets wrapped up with pirates in the eastern Chinese sea and becomes one of them.

Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae o Boku-tachi wa Mada Shiranai (anohana) - currently watching it and enjoying it throughly. About a boy trying to grant a childhood's friend ghost her wish very sad at some points, but i like that. (I take that back, don't watch this, it made me cry like a little girl... @work no less)

Basilisk - About ninjas... yeah but its not naruto in any way. A war between 2 very historically famous ninja clans, quite crude at times (in a good way), I personally love the art here.

I will update this post when I have more time. My list will most likely be much longer tho....

-snip-

Samurai Champloo - 2 roaming samurai and a lost girl looking for a lost man, AMAZING soundtrack.

Cowboy Bebop - Space bounty hunters just trying to make a living, again SUPERB soundtrack. (a classic)

FLCL - furi koori just random silliness and histerical comic sense, very short though.

-double snip-

<3

I've stopped reading manga/watching anime lately because I've "grown" out of it. Not to mention a lot of the new series just don't interest me as much anymore.

Vagabond - Historic manga about the legendary swordsman Miyamoto Musashi, the art on this series is outstanding!

The Breaker - Korean Manwha about a bullied boy and how he learns martial arts under a very dark teacher, action packed and very solid and skillfull art. It continues on a second series "New Waves" but the story decays somewhat.
Both of these are very good! I'm still in the process of getting through Vagabond, and as for The Breaker.. you do know that there is a sequel called The Breaker: New Waves.

BAKUMAN. GO. You will enjoy it,

Yeah definitely! This manga gives you an awesome in depth look at how the Mangaka really live >.>

to be super girly...

Love Hina
Chobits
Fruits Basket

Theres been others but its been years since i read any manga..

a little bit Mesmer!

0DNY5.jpg

EDEN OF THE EAST! That's totally what I was thinking of when someone mentioned Darker Than Black (Kali?). Really good series that I need to finish.

Ok I have never read any manga but I do enjoy some anime. I haven't really gotten into too much beyond some of what I listed. I also haven't watched any in a loooong time, so recommendations are appreciated.

Cowboy Bebop
Gundam
Ghost in the Shell

oh yeah! definately Ghost in the Shell!! all the movies and the series! except maybe for the second movie which was kinda odd and not very much in sync with the rest of the series.

oh man Ubel Blatt is awsome

Beserker? thats quite brutal but has got abit crazy so have stopped reading, tbf it is 300+ chapters
Othello (more for the girls but im not ashamed to say i enjoyed it)
History strongest disciple kenichi
The Breaker and The Breaker:new waves

and now my brain has just gone blank but yeah ..

erm as for anime "Clannad" is a real tear jerker

A really big One Piece fan here.

Other great titles are:
Code Geass
Death Note
Kenichi
Katanagatari
Sword Art Online (New Anime)

Had to necro because I have been wanting to watch more anime.

Here are some that I have watched that are really worth watching:

Code Geass R1/R2
Eureka Seven/AO
Zetman
Claymore
Hitman Reborn

I also have a question about Ghost in the Shell, which one should I watch first or which ones are good?

Top Bottom