What's new

MMO First MMO?

thesuperjman

Crafter
This nostalgia thread made me think of my first MMO experience, which, as I'm sure is the case for many, was in Runescape. I remember getting into it as a freshman in high school many years ago. I quickly fell in love with the world and the gameplay, and made some solid friends. I would play for hours every day, jamming out to whatever Vans Warped Tour CD happened to be nearest by. Those were good and simpler times :)

What about you all? First MMO? Or, maybe the better question is, first MMO you fell in love with?

Runescape was my first as well. I have no idea how long I played it for, I was never all that good at it, but I absolutely loved it. It was a brand new world to discover and there were so many things to do! After that I got into WoW and I think I joined that near the end of Vanilla and I played that through TBC. I never really got into doing raids. I was a young kid, didn't have a mic or anything like that and honestly probably didn't have that great of an idea of what to do lol. Quit that soon after I entered into high school, played both on/off post high school but could never really get back into them. That's why I'm so excited for New World, it just brings back that sense of wonderment I felt when I first started playing and I'm so excited to see where it goes :D

Nice, after Runescape I got into Guild Wars as well. Played that for quite a while as a monk. Maybe it's the sense of wonder or the crafting system, but I get a kind of Runescape-ish vibe out of New World.

Ultima Online (if you couldn't tell by my posts) until WoW came out, which I loved because my friends played, not necessarily for the game, I still run a UO server... then I worked for Blizzard for some time, ruined WoW for me, left to start my own company and honestly I felt like a beaten puppy after I left that company, the whole fratboy shit is true. Did the GW2 thing, loved the fluidity hated the lack of world pvp and roles in groups and how much you had to google to understand mechanics. Wildstar for a small period. And then nothing really. Just run my UO server. Then New World happened, and I got that feeling... you know THE FEELING... :)

Wildstar looked cool, I never ended up getting into it. Probably for the best seeing as how it's no longer around lol.

New World has definitely elicited THAT feeling, honestly I don't even know if I can describe just how excited I am for this game lol.

Wildstar looked cool, I never ended up getting into it. Probably for the best seeing as how it's no longer around lol.

New World has definitely elicited THAT feeling, honestly I don't even know if I can describe just how excited I am for this game lol.
Oh no I get it, just ask @hole how many times a day I tell her how many days are left til launch :p

Happy GIF

My first MMO was EverQuest.
Prior to that, I mostly played real-time strategy games like Warcraft and Starcraft.
Once I got into EverQuest though I completely stopped playing other games.
Joined a guild with folks I connected with and really there was only EverQuest for quite some time.
Did the raid scene with them. Lots of late or sleepless nights but it was so much fun.

But all good things fade with time and twas no different for EverQuest.
People I played with started getting the itch to find a new thing.
We occasionally would try something to ask "is this the one?". The one to replace EQ.
Really it wasn't until EQ2 and WoW that the EverQuest run ended.
It was like a weird train wreck too.
Suddenly the guild split up with some going to EQ2 and most going to WoW and only a small few sticking it out with EQ.

I ended up with WoW for a long time.
There was quite a bit to like about WoW.
My guild wasn't super hard core but we managed to beat all of the end game content.
It wasn't until sometime in the Lich King expansion that the wheels started to come off.

I can't quite remember which game it was anymore but something came out and it split up the guild again.
I ended up floating between games for a while to play with folks but never really found the magic.

I can really see some interesting potential in New World for playing together as a team.
Most of the MMO I have played in recent years are very much solo games with group options.
I definitely enjoyed playing through the story but really miss a game built for community game play.

My first MMO was EverQuest.
Prior to that, I mostly played real-time strategy games like Warcraft and Starcraft.
Oh man Starcraft and Warcraft will always hold special places in my heart. I got introduced to Starcraft through my friend, whose cousin had burned a copy onto a disc lol. That game blew me away and I spent so many hours on battle.net, tried to get good but that never happened lol.

Ultima Online was my first, followed by Guild Wars and then Guild Wars 2. I've tried a bunch, but none of them have ever stuck like UO and GW. I've never played WoW past the little free trials they gave to try the game. I just never could get into it.

Ahh everquest. The rival to UO. Or at least that is how we felt as kids. I was on the UO side. I did try everquest but I was like WHAT IS THIS THIRD PERSON VIEW EWWW! haha. I did make an elven city in UO though based off the one in EQ.

I started with Final Fantasy XI. I did play a lot of Diablo, Diablo 2, Starcraft, and Warcraft as well.

I see diablo, starcraft, and warcraft listed here a lot, are these considered MMOs?
I never thought of them like that.. but I could see it..

I see diablo, starcraft, and warcraft listed here a lot, are these considered MMOs?
I never thought of them like that.. but I could see it..
I’d think wow maybe. I wouldn’t really consider Diablo an MMO, albeit a great game, just not MMO.

Diablo is an ARPG
Warcraft and Starcraft are RTS
Ultima Online, EverQuest, World of Warcraft are MMORPG

My first MMO was EQ2. I started playing it in 2005,and still do occasionally, but the flame has gone out.
I’ve tried WOW, GW2, and LOTRO. LOTRO held my attention the longest as I loved following the story being a Tolkien fan.
Last month I was searching around for a new MMO to pour myself into and New World kept coming up. I played the open beta and was hooked. It pushed all my buttons and offers a lot of potential for everything I want in an MMO.

Top Bottom