What's new

Get Windows 10 NOW

tr1age

Administrator
Staff member
If you have no delayed gratification like me here ya go:

downloading-windows-10.jpg

Download Windows 10 on your schedule, not Microsoft's.

As you're no doubt aware, today is Windows 10 launch day. If you're already registered for the new OS, now it's just a waiting game as Microsoft pushes out the update.

Don't want to wait? You don't have to: There's actually a Windows 10 download page where you can grab the OS right now. Although it appears to be focused on creating installation media (e.g., a DVD or flash drive), you can use it for in-place upgrades -- no external media required.

Needless to say, you should definitely back up your data first. You may also want to consider installing a rollback tool like Easeus System GoBack. Although Windows 10 has a rollback feature of its own, the option expires after one month. GoBack should work indefinitely.

download-windows-10.jpg

Next, head to the Windows 10 download page, scroll down a bit and click Download Tool Now. (Most users will want the 64-bit version, but obviously you should go 32-bit if that's the version of Windows your system already runs.)

Run the tool, then choose "Upgrade this PC." From there it's just a matter of waiting while Windows 10 downloads, verifies and installs -- with the inevitable reboot or two along the way.

I just completed this process on a Nextbook Flexx 11, one that had already been registered for the Windows 10 upgrade. It took the better part of an hour. Your mileage may vary, of course, and although everything worked fine at my end, the smarter move is probably to wait until the "official" update arrives on your PC.

61392463.jpg

Downloading now.

//edit//

My nvidia apps didn't autoupdate my drivers. If anyone else needs, here's the GeForce driver.

//edit 2//

GeForce driver install failed. NIC, Wifi, and Audio drivers seem to be working straight away, though. All bg apps were good. Gonna test other stuff after I solve the GPU issue.

//edit 3//

1.5 hours later, excluding the download since my computer apparently downloaded it unbeknownst to me, I hop directly into Device Manager and try an Update Driver for my GPU from there. It says it has the most current version and errors out. Then my machine prompts me for a restart, which I do, and it's all gravy.

Hearthstone works. Beat a roar/token druid. Going to to bed. Zzz.

Yeah I'd still hold off a bit, a lot of things are having driver errors. Best to wait a week for people to get their shit together if you wanna be lazy.

61392463.jpg

Downloading now.

//edit//

My nvidia apps didn't autoupdate my drivers. If anyone else needs, here's the GeForce driver.

//edit 2//

GeForce driver install failed. NIC, Wifi, and Audio drivers seem to be working straight away, though. All bg apps were good. Gonna test other stuff after I solve the GPU issue.

//edit 3//

1.5 hours later, excluding the download since my computer apparently downloaded it unbeknownst to me, I hop directly into Device Manager and try an Update Driver for my GPU from there. It says it has the most current version and errors out. Then my machine prompts me for a restart, which I do, and it's all gravy.

Hearthstone works. Beat a roar/token druid. Going to to bed. Zzz.

The Nvidia driver is an issue you need to update it before you upgrade. Or you need to uninstall it, restart, restart, remove drivers, resart, removedevie, retsrat, and then go to windows update and install from there. So yes I went through the same 1.5 hours as you and still have NO IDEA how it worked.[DOUBLEPOST=1438272265,1438272113][/DOUBLEPOST]
Yeah I'd still hold off a bit, a lot of things are having driver errors. Best to wait a week for people to get their shit together if you wanna be lazy.

Nah it works good now. Just gotta have the latest drivers installed on your machine prior specially the nvidia graphics driver. I mean obviously the SMART MOVE is to hold off for a little, but this thread isn't for waiters it is for those who wanna live viciously on the edge.

Yeah I'd still hold off a bit, a lot of things are having driver errors.

Not saying that early adoption for any tech is a smart move (I'm looking at you, Apple Watch, as I wait for gen. 2), but the only issue I had was with Nvidia. I'm actually surprised by how easy the upgrade was overall. 1.5 hours for non service pack/OS upgrade is probably my best ever. I usually plan a whole day for that.

Not saying that early adoption for any tech is a smart move (I'm looking at you, Apple Watch, as I wait for gen. 2), but the only issue I had was with Nvidia. I'm actually surprised by how easy the upgrade was overall. 1.5 hours for non service pack/OS upgrade is probably my best ever. I usually plan a whole day for that.

Yeah ditto and ALL my programs worked. Only one I knew would cause a problem and I got an upgrade from the company prior. And so far the system is running fast.

Ill wait a week or two. I did want to do a fresh install, but I am too fucking lazy. Doubly so since I was considering a new comp or at least major upgrades within the next year.

Ill wait a week or two. I did want to do a fresh install, but I am too fucking lazy. Doubly so since I was considering a new comp or at least major upgrades within the next year.

Your comp will run it fine just update your video driver to the one listed here before. It runs great on our machines.

Your comp will run it fine just update your video driver to the one listed here before. It runs great on our machines.

Can Cortana summon Master Chief if Covenant overrun my condo complex? If not, wont install 0/10

What the easiest way to move files between my two drives?

I have Windows 7 on my solid state drive, but that drive is completely full, so I don't think I can do the update. I need to move some programs to my hard disk to make room.

Quick question:
When I select upgrade the option to keep my apps is greyed out. I can only select to keep my personal files or nothing. Was it possible for you guys to pick this first option?

I need to move some programs to my hard disk to make room.

My gut says you need to reinstall to move programs because of all the library linking. But I'm not a pro techie by any means, and that could be old thinking. dainjre might know more?

When I select upgrade the option to keep my apps is greyed out. I can only select to keep my personal files or nothing. Was it possible for you guys to pick this first option?

I don't even remember seeing the option tbh, Euch. It was late so I skimmed through everything for red flags, mostly information collection and sharing. I'm guessing that option was preselected for me so I didn't give it a second thought. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Uhh you can drag files over to your HDD from your SSD however, your shortcuts become a nightmare because the paths to the file its pointing to is wrong. So you have to right click the shortcuts, go to properties, and then point the shortcut to the proper file path. For example...

For smite the shortcut will have something like:

Shortcut to: C:\program files\hirez\smite\smite.exe
Open in: C:\program files\hirez\smite\

And you moved the hirez folder to your G:\ drive you'd need to change it to:

Shortcut to: G:\hirez\smite\smite.exe
Open in: G:\hirez\smite\

Its a huge pain in the ass but I have to do this at work all the time.

And here I thought only Mac was drag and drop friendly for apps.

What if the old shortcut was deleted and a new one was created (right-click > Create Shortcut), then dropped in the location of the deleted one? Less of a pain in the ass?

What if the old shortcut was deleted and a new one was created (right-click > Create Shortcut), then dropped in the location of the deleted one? Less of a pain in the ass?
As long as you know the proper file extension you're supposed to be making the shortcut to. I usually just edit the links because I'm too lazy to dig through files looking for the correct one.

I have Windows 7 on my solid state drive, but that drive is completely full, so I don't think I can do the update. I need to move some programs to my hard disk to make room.

You cannot move programs to another drive you have to had installed there already you can only move files like movies, pictures, docs, etc.[DOUBLEPOST=1438311462,1438311388][/DOUBLEPOST]

Also having your Main drive completely full will slow down every app you have running so you should fix that anyway. You need at least and this is no joke, 80-100 gigs to run programs smoothly.

Uhh you can drag files over to your HDD from your SSD however, your shortcuts become a nightmare because the paths to the file its pointing to is wrong. So you have to right click the shortcuts, go to properties, and then point the shortcut to the proper file path. For example...

For smite the shortcut will have something like:

Shortcut to: C:\program files\hirez\smite\smite.exe
Open in: C:\program files\hirez\smite\

And you moved the hirez folder to your G:\ drive you'd need to change it to:

Shortcut to: G:\hirez\smite\smite.exe
Open in: G:\hirez\smite\

Its a huge pain in the ass but I have to do this at work all the time.

What about registry entries?[DOUBLEPOST=1438311769,1438311740][/DOUBLEPOST]

I swear it still is. What am I missing. Cause if things changed that is amazing.[DOUBLEPOST=1438311799][/DOUBLEPOST]
I don't even remember seeing the option tbh, Euch. It was late so I skimmed through everything for red flags, mostly information collection and sharing. I'm guessing that option was preselected for me so I didn't give it a second thought. Sorry I can't be of more help.

If you do not see it it means you can only do a fresh install.

This tool is amazing specially to bring back title bar colors. The white everywhere is rough to see which window is in focus.

http://winaero.com/blog/winaero-tweaker-0-3/[DOUBLEPOST=1438317536,1438317161][/DOUBLEPOST]Also this is where the bg images for the lock screen are located. Way cooler than the default desktop ones.

C:\Windows\Web

Oh yeah reg stuff. I'm used to doing it for server based programs. I could tell you how to change hkey stuff but you're probably better just uninstalling lol

Top Bottom