What's new

OBS setup Tips and Tricks

tr1age

Administrator
Staff member
Feel free to post your setup via screenshots of OBS to help others. Please include your UP AND DOWN and system specs!

I integrate
http://www.twitchalerts.com/

As well as maintain a 60FPS 1080p stream.

This works great:

View attachment 595
hQaqT7o.png

k6eW24N.png

I was interested in setting up my stream as well. Maybe we can turn this into a general OBS setup/question thread?

I guess the question to answer for the second part is 1) do you have the connection to maintain those specs and 2) do you have the hardware to be able to achieve those specs?

One thing to consider is unless you are given a "source" button. Not sure what the requirements from twitch are to have this display, your stream will never be 1080p, they will cap your resolution. Once your viewers have the option to view in source, then they can see your stream at 1080p.

I've never really used twitch alerts. When I was streaming pretty heavily, I used a different (and much more archaic) product. I can do some research on what scenes you need though. I am pretty familiar with OBS.[DOUBLEPOST=1421098470,1421098374][/DOUBLEPOST]Also, I believe Crake uses twitch alerts. He may be able to walk you through he got his to work.

I'm about to go to work but I can help. One recommendation I have is not to stream in 1080, it was much rougher on my system and people with poor connections seemed to have issues watching my stream. I downscale to 720.

For alerts I use http://nightdev.com/ which has follower and donation, though looking at twitch alerts I may end up switching, looks nicer

Also I want to make a push for partner so I can create an AltTabMe stream group :)

Sent from Moto X using Tapatalk.

I guess the question to answer for the second part is 1) do you have the connection to maintain those specs and 2) do you have the hardware to be able to achieve those specs?

One thing to consider is unless you are given a "source" button. Not sure what the requirements from twitch are to have this display, your stream will never be 1080p, they will cap your resolution. Once your viewers have the option to view in source, then they can see your stream at 1080p.

I've never really used twitch alerts. When I was streaming pretty heavily, I used a different (and much more archaic) product. I can do some research on what scenes you need though. I am pretty familiar with OBS.[DOUBLEPOST=1421098470,1421098374][/DOUBLEPOST]Also, I believe Crake uses twitch alerts. He may be able to walk you through he got his to work.

I am partnered. I got my alerts to work.

So I just need screenshot layouts of stream settings :)

Crake if you could screenshot your settings that would be a good start as well since your streams are always top notch resolution.

This would be nice. I tend to just rock Shadowplay. I don't think you can really tweak anything like xsplit or OBS.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I'll do it tomorrow night at some point, maybe remind me?

Sent from Moto X using Tapatalk.

I don't use CBR because it was using more of my cpu and apparently reduces quality a bit, you aren't going for 60 FPS?

A good compromise I made was bumping up to 60 and turning down from lanczos to whatever the next one was.

I don't use CBR because it was using more of my cpu and apparently reduces quality a bit, you aren't going for 60 FPS?

A good compromise I made was bumping up to 60 and turning down from lanczos to whatever the next one was.

Will try that for sure!

Will try that for sure!

Post with how that works. Should come in handy since our rigs are identical for the most part and while not matching FIOS, Comcast did some serious upgrades and bumped people's speeds around here recently.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Twitch themselves have made a guide on how to set up most common programs, since most people use OBS, here’s the link to that. Remember that these are recommended settings, and the best way to figure out what’s best for you is to experiment with different settings.

Here’s another link to overall broadcast requirements, and what they mean. They also describe a bit about what CBR is and does, and differences between CBR and VBR.

I think that’s the two important links that anyone who desires to stream on Twitch should read through, as well as the ToS of course. I’m sorry for a slightly bad response, only giving away links. I guess my excuse is: I’m at school.

And if you have a laptop with dueling graphics cards, here is how you fix it....

Step 1: Take your head and proceed to bang it on the counter.... repeatedly.

Step 2: Take said laptop and go to the highest floor in your house.

Step 3: Open Window.

Step 4: Toss laptop out window.

Step 5: Laugh maniacally.

Step 6: Cry.

Step 7: Rejoice.

Step 8: Go build a super badass computer that can handle yo shit.

Another thing I wish I knew about OBS - if you are planning on having multiple scenes with the same source, be sure to create it as a global source so you aren't making the same source over again for a different scene.

Another thing I wish I knew about OBS - if you are planning on having multiple scenes with the same source, be sure to create it as a global source so you aren't making the same source over again for a different scene.

Smart.

Twitch themselves have made a guide on how to set up most common programs, since most people use OBS, here’s the link to that. Remember that these are recommended settings, and the best way to figure out what’s best for you is to experiment with different settings.

Here’s another link to overall broadcast requirements, and what they mean. They also describe a bit about what CBR is and does, and differences between CBR and VBR.

I think that’s the two important links that anyone who desires to stream on Twitch should read through, as well as the ToS of course. I’m sorry for a slightly bad response, only giving away links. I guess my excuse is: I’m at school.

I agree VBR is horrible. This is why I was wondering why Crake's streams looked so good with CBR off. But he isn't the only one I have seen to turn it off. Crake you using 2 vid cards?

CBR btw in quality difference in leaps and bounds different. CBR is actually a lot better for twitch streaming. I turned it back on.

Top Bottom