What's new

Pokemon X/Y Megathread

ToxicAsF

Over Analystical Extreme Gambler
Alrighty folks! I know some of us are jumping aboard this train, and I'm here to try to keep it all contained! So here is where we can discuss X/Y features, while also setting up trades and battles down the road!

MEMBERS- ADD 3DS FC HERE - http://alttabme.com/forum/index.php...d-origin-logins-in-one-place.4154/#post-53685

I will add some resources here down the line that help for both casual enjoyment and competitive mindsets! This is a good place to share some tips/tricks/secrets you may find, as the game doesn't have hundreds of guides like usual. See something cool? Find something worth sharing? Share it here!

Also, it's handy to know which version you have! I'll try to update this with who has what.

Gyoin - Y
Simpwn - X
Baldoraxx - X
Remainz - Y
Crake - Y
Keleynal
Hauntie
Hyomicca

Reddit Mega-Guide Thread - http://www.reddit.com/r/pokemon/comments/1ov1s5/pokémon_xy_guide_megathread/

Some tips from a Kotaku article, but beware of spoilers as well!

Tips For Playing Pokémon X & Y
ku-bigpic.png

Sure, the world of Pokémon is kind and charming...but that doesn't mean you can't step your game up a little while playing. You wanna be the very best, like no one ever was, right? We're here to help you with that.P
Here are some things you should do or keep in mind while playing Pokémon X & Y. Some are general Pokémon tips. Some are more X & Y specific. I hope they help!P
Play With Whatever Pokemon You'd LikeP

There are over 700 Pokémon. That's a TON of choices. Technically not all these Pokémon are competitively viable, but for the sake of the single-player adventure? Most/any will do the trick, provided you've leveled up enough. There's no reason not to play with the Pokémon you think are cool or cute, that's the point of having so many of them in the roster! Granted, you can still be smart about using your favorite Pokémon.P
Side note: since this game gives you two starters—one from the new generation, and one from the original generation—you might want to coordinate between them. If you have your eyes set on Charizard, for example, it might not make sense to pick the fire starter at the beginning of the game! 12P
Which brings us to...P
Be Smart About How You Use Those PokemonP

ku-xlarge.png
The key is diversifying. You can do this on a team level and on a moveset level too. All Pokémon belong to different types of groups—some of that is based on an element, like water or fire, and others are based on their characteristics, like flying creatures. If you have a move that matches your Pokémon's type—say, a fire move on a fire Pokémon—it'll be more powerful than moves of a different type. Pokemon veterans call this bonus "STAB," same type attack bonus. Despite that bonus, you don't want to have a Pokemon with 4 moves of the same type—a fire Pokémon with 4 fire type moves, for example. The less you have to switch a Pokémon out to match the various types of enemies, the better—and having a Pokémon with a few different move types helps with that. So as an example: my Sliggoo is a dragon type, and it has one dragon move, one water move, one electric move, and one ice move. It's not the best spread, but it lets me take care of a good number of Pokemon. If Sliggoo had 4 dragon type moves, or even 2 or 3 dragon type moves, I limit the number of Pokémon I can be effective against. Not the best situation!P
ku-xlarge.jpg
SEXPAND
You also gotta make sure you're using the right category of moves: if your Pokémon has a high special attack stat, you should use more special moves, and if they have a high attack stat, you should use physical moves. Here's what the page that shows you your stats looks like (yours will have different numbers, depending on your Pokémon):p
ku-xlarge.jpg
SEXPAND
You should be able to see what type of moves you have in the summary menus (or, if you're about to learn a new move, it should tell you what category it is via a little icon).P
It can be eye-opening to see that a team you've built could actually be wiped out rather easily by one specific element.P

And just like you don't want to have too many of the same element in your moveset, you'll want to make sure your overall team doesn't have more than one Pokémon of the same elemental type and, following that, that those Pokémon aren't all weak to the same things. Having a grass type, a steel type and an ice type on your team is a bad idea, for example: sure, you've got multiple different element types here, but they're all weak to fire. You could be wiped out rather easily, and yes, this is true even in just the single-player.P
A good resource here to make sure you have all your bases covered is Marriland's team building tool. You can insert whatever Pokémon you have/want on your team, and it'll tell you your overall weaknesses, resistances and immunities. It can be eye-opening to see that a team you've built could actually be wiped out rather easily by one specific element or something, or that you have no Pokémon/moves to respond to a particular threat. Caveat: it hasn't updated for X & Y yet, but most of the Pokémon in the Pokedex are in there—I'd keep an eye on this and check back every once in a while, because they're gonna update it eventually. This is what happens when you get a world-wide release and everyone starts playing on the same day, we can't just turn to the internet right away to look stuff up!P
We'll be running a more in-depth guide about team-building sometime later, but for now, diversifying is a good thing to try to do. P
Side-note: Most of what I've mentioned so far is mechanical, but...don't be afraid to nickname your Pokémon, if you want. Just know that other people can see the names of your Pokémon, should you play with anyone else. So you can be crass and vulgar if you want, it just won't look classy!P
Catch Multiple Pokemon of the Same KindP

Not all Pokemon are created equal, you know...some are definitely better than others, even if they're both literally the same Pokémon. They'll be built differently! If you have the patience, you should try catching multiple Pokémon of whatever you've set your eyes on. After you do, compare the stats, the natures and the abilities. Go with whichever has the better stats and the more beneficial nature (look for words like "bashful," "naughty" and so on in the summary menus—these refer to things that add bonuses, as well as weak stats) for your Pokémon.P
A Gengar, for example, is a glass-canon type Pokémon that is best suited for special-attack sweeping. You'll want to seek out Haunters/Ghastlys that are the 'Timid' nature, as that boosts speed (and downs your attack stat, but you don't need that). Of course, you might not outright know what a specific Pokémon is suited for without getting into competitive metagame, but that's okay. You don't need to go there if you don't want to: again, just compare the stats. If one Pokémon seems to have better stats than the other one, you should probably pick that one and let the other Pokemon go!P
Smogon and Bulbapedia are good resources for looking up natures and abilities, since the game doesn't tell you what natures and abilities affect. If you're curious about what your Pokemon is suited for, Smogon is good reading—just look up the Pokemon you have in mind and peruse the different, err, loadouts to gauge which is most powerful/desirable for your playstyle. Like Marriland, there will probably be updates in the future, if not a shift in terms of how people think about this stuff as people spend more time with the game.P
Live and Die By This ChartP

I don't expect you to just plain memorize all the strengths, weaknesses and immunities of all the elemental types. I sure as heck haven't—like I said in my review, I was constantly looking this stuff up. But that's okay, people have made charts for this sort of thing.Bulbapedia created the following chart, for example:p
ku-xlarge.png
SEXPAND
Use it. Hell, print it out if you wanna. Frame it. Decorate the frame with glitter. Trust me, you'll start to cherish this chart that much. P
Fiddle With The OptionsP

Despite being a fast-paced game, some aspects of X & Y are dreadfully slow. Personally I set my text speed up to fast. You may be the type of person that doesn't like watching battle animations—you can turn them off, but I wouldn't recommend it. Part of the big draw in X & Y is that we can finally—finally—see Pokémon move! I relish that. But, y'know, to each their own. Just know that if you have them off you won't be able to catch stuff like this:p
ku-xlarge.gif
There are a couple of other things that might be of interest in the options menu, be sure to check it out.P
AccessorizeP

One of the most awesome features of this new Pokémon is that you can dress your avatar up...and you should! You wanna look pretty, right? It'll be harder to do at the start of the game, when you don't have much money to spend on clothes, but eventually that changes. Once you have the money, go wild. Visit the boutiques regularly, since stock changes every day. Make sure to check out the salon in Lumiose city, where you can get a new haircut, as well as change your eye color and hair color. P
DIS IS ME:p
ku-xlarge.jpg
SEXPAND
Some areas won't let you inside unless you're dressed to impress, so you might as well.P
Oh! And you're not the only one that can accessorize. Put some items on your Pokémon, too—they can hold one special item. These items are useful in battle and sometimes can save you when you're in a pinch. P
Don't GrindP

Listen. I know this is an RPG. I know that grinding is a thing you do in RPGs. But even so, it's not something I recommend you do for this game's single-player. For one, the difficulty is already kind of on the easy side. And secondly, everything about the game's design tells me that it expects you to keep moving, to keep going forward. Sticking to a few patches of grass for a couple of hours to raise your Pokémon is antithetical to that; I don't think Game Freak wants you to do that. There's even less reason to do it when the game gives you an item called experience share early on, which is an item that distributes experience to all the Pokémon in your party, regardless of whether or not they participated in the battle. Makes the whole 'keep everyone at the same level' thing way, way easier, too.
Doing all the trainer battles and only the random encounters I couldn't avoid was enough, in terms of being at the appropriate level, or being right at the sweet spot where battles could sometimes be at least vaguely tough/interesting. There's nothing stopping you from grinding, of course, just know that you might find yourself bored as you go through the game and wreck everything. I spent maybe an hour and a half total grinding, out of 33 or so hours of gameplay—this was enough.P
Talk To EveryoneP

Pokémon has some charming writing—you should see it all! Maybe it'll be ridiculous. Maybe it'll be inane. Maybe it'll be a meme. Or, even better, maybe the NPC will give you something—there are a ton of TMs (moves that you can teach your Pokémon), items and possible trades for you to find...but you need to talk to everyone first.P
Plus, there's a lot of daily stuff you can do via NPCs too. Serebii has a full list of daily events and where to find them here, but just to list some:p
  • Boutique item rotationP
  • Daily berriesP
  • Daily TMsP
  • Daily MegasP
  • Daily Rival BattlesP
Play Online/With OthersP

Another neat thing about X & Y are all of its online features (which it calls PSS—player search system)—you'll want to keep your wireless on, if you can. Not only can you battle/trade/talk with your friends/strangers (if not constantly harass them with the NICE button), you can also do other awesome things.P
The PSS, which is viewable on the bottom screen of your 3DS, shows you people from around the world playing X & Y, for example—and you can read the messages they blast to the world. You can do wonder trades, which are a new type of trade where you can instantly trade whatever you'd like for a random Pokemon that someone else offers up. Though you might get a crap Pokémon, it's kind of exciting to not know what you're going to get, too.P
The other big thing you can do via the PSS is distribute "O-Powers"—temporary bonuses like increased pay-out in battles, healing, extra experience gain, and so on. Sure, you could use these things on yourself...but why not spread the love? I mean, it's pretty rad to think someone in, say, Japan, is helping you out right now even if they don't know who you are. Plus, the more you use O-Powers, the more they'll level up, the stronger they'll be.P
Before you hop online, you might want to spend some time customizing your profile, by the way. And as an added incentive to play online..if you think the game is too easy, that's all the more reason to play against other real people. Actual human beings don't use six Magikarp in one battle, unless they're trolling! Playing online is also a good way to see all the underlying nuances to what is actually a pretty complicated game.P
Side-note: When you beat the game, you get the ability to go into a special zone to capture all sorts of Pokémon. Curiously, the more friend-codes you have registered on your 3DS, the more diversity of Pokemon you'll find in this zone. It's in your interest to register as many people as you can, not just to have more folk under your friends list on the PSS, but also to have more types of Pokémon to capture.P
But if you, for whatever reason, can't go online? Don't sweat it too much. My initial run through the game was offline only and while, sure, it would have been fantastic to have these features on, you still get the core Pokemon experience without 'em.P
Don't Be Afraid To Go MegaP

ku-xlarge.gif

Why not? It's cool, and it can give you the boost you need to win in a battle. On this note...search far and wide for the Mega Stones. There are a lot of Megas in the game, it's just a matter of finding the stones—and they're well-hidden.P
Make Trainer Videos7P

Somewhere in Lumiose City, there's a building where you can make short promotional videos of yourself and your Pokemon. They're super, super goofy and silly. And that's exactly why you should make some!P
P
P
I wish you could pick your own captions on these, though. Then I'd accompany the keychain Pokemon with the words JINGLE JINGLE, MOTHERF***KER. Alas~8P
Look Out For Invisible ItemsP

Game Freak does this thing where they put all sorts of items around the world...but you can't always see them. But if you use 'Mario Logic,' you should be able to tell what sorts of places might contain this game's version of hidden blocks. Is there a mysterious dead end on the map? Maybe you should try facing the middle portion of the dead end and pressing 'A.' Betcha there's something hidden there.9P
Get An HM SlaveP

As you go along, there will be a number of moves you need to perform actions around the world—surfing, cutting away stuff that blocks roads, flying, using strength to move boulders and so on. Most of these moves kind of suck in battle, and you're better off not taking up a precious slot on one of your main Pokemon for it. That's why you should get a Pokémon or two specifically for the purposes of using them as an HM slave—take them out of the in-game PC when you need to use them, then throw them back in until next time. 10P
It's worth noting that, unlike previous Pokemon games, using all the HMs isn't mandatory. I never had to teach anyone 'Cut,' though that did mean I missed out on a few extra items. That's okay. The only things that seemed necessary—as in, without them, you couldn't keep moving forward in the story—were strength and surf. Fly is more of a convenience thing. 11P
Skip Amie and Super Training...Unless12P

X & Y introduce two new features: a Nintendogs-like ability to interact with/pet your Pokemon called Pokemon Amie, and a mini-game that lets you buff your Pokemon up called Super Training.P
So, for the most part, both of these new features aren't things you have to dabble with...unless you want specific stuff. Want a Sylveon, the new fairy-type Eevee? You'll have to use Amie to get your friendship high enough. Wanna boost the stats of your Pokemon? Super training is there, though hardly necessary for getting through the single player. It's also worth keeping in mind that Amie can give you an experience boost, provided your friendship is high enough (amongst other bonuses which you may find worthwhile...I didn't, because the game is easy enough as it is).P
Keep Playing After You Beat ItP

There are a few new areas that don't open until after you beat the game—you should know what some of these are as you go along, since they'll initially deny you entry. It's not just new locations, though: according to Serebii, there's a special detective portion of X & Ythat you can play after the main game ends. It sounds cool. A good number of the daily things available to you aren't in place until after you beat the game—notably, the stuff that makes finding Mega Stones easier. P
And that's it! With this stuff in mind, you should get the most out of your Pokémon experience...but feel free to share your own tips, if you've got any. And if you still haven't decided on which Pokemon to buy: here's my article about the differences between Pokémon X & Y, and our review on the games.

I'll be going X when i get it.

I feel like we can get a good number of people on board for this. Good series, good fun.

Quality of life improvements I've seen so far (and I assume these weren't in B/W2 because I didn't play that)

- Exp on capture so even if you are farming you can still level some.
- Exp share works across all pokemon in a party.
- When doing trades in game you just need to have the pokemon in your bank and the trade screen allows you to access it. No longer do you need to visit a computer to deposit one or switch to the trade pokemon.

General tips:

- Talk to everyone within the first 2 towns. They will stock you with various types of pokeballs

I'll edit this as I find more.

Just how good is this game? I've heard people talk about getting a 3DS just for Pokemon X/Y. Is it really THAT good?

Just how good is this game? I've heard people talk about getting a 3DS just for Pokemon X/Y. Is it really THAT good?

I believe so. If you are, or ever were, a fan of pokemon, it'd be worth the purchase IMO. If you've never played them, it'd be a harder sell and would depend if it fits your playstyle.

But more or less, the "story" for the game is pretty basic. It's challenging if you make it challenging, easy if you make it easy. The AI is better than older generations by a long shot. But the real "challenge" is what goals you set for yourself. Complete the Dex? Compete online? That's a lot of time for both, talking hundreds of hours if you do it yourself. Battle and trade with friends? It's silly and has loads of bragging rights.

I believe so. If you are, or ever were, a fan of pokemon, it'd be worth the purchase IMO. If you've never played them, it'd be a harder sell and would depend if it fits your playstyle.

But more or less, the "story" for the game is pretty basic. It's challenging if you make it challenging, easy if you make it easy. The AI is better than older generations by a long shot. But the real "challenge" is what goals you set for yourself. Complete the Dex? Compete online? That's a lot of time for both, talking hundreds of hours if you do it yourself. Battle and trade with friends? It's silly and has loads of bragging rights.

Hmm... I'll have to keep an eye on it. I played around with some older Pokemon games on my GB emulator and I did enjoy them, though they never sucked me in so much that I ever tried to finish playing them. Perhaps the social aspect would make the game more interesting.
Thanks for the reply! ^^

Hmm... I'll have to keep an eye on it. I played around with some older Pokemon games on my GB emulator and I did enjoy them, though they never sucked me in so much that I ever tried to finish playing them. Perhaps the social aspect would make the game more interesting.
Thanks for the reply! ^^
No problem! The online battling and trading system makes it a COMPLETELY different game than the old school versions.

It's the best pokemon game I've played in a few generations. I bought a 3ds just for this game. Gyoin was very helpful in persuading me and I don't regret it.

Really impressed with the way they did this game. It is a HUGE step beyond what was done in the past. I love how they throw in some adult puns in there from time to time. It gives me a good chuckle.

• Animation. The animation is a big step up. usually the pokemon just wiggles a little and the attack goes. Here if a pokemon uses "scratche", its arms actually do a scratching mechanism. Also, if a pokemon know something like ember, then when it evolves the animation changes as well.
  • Movement. So far the movement is pretty fluid except for the occasional running into a building or bush on my part. I don't want to spoil what you get.
  • Exp. As Simpwn stated the entire party gets shared exp through battles. At first i was skeptical thinking, "Will my pokemon evolve if i don't use him/her or will she/he learn new moves?" This fear was pushed away early on as my pokemon on the bench leveled up and learned moves and evolved.
  • Torchic- You can get Torchic after your first saved game and restarting. Instead of pushing continue, under it is Gift and you get it through that.
@simwn, if you want you can grab this and through it in your if you want

The animation for battles is really well done. It reminds me more of the colosseum games. They have different camera angles that are used. When you use a move like Tail Whip the pokemon actually wags it's tail. It's the small things like that. The game has come a long way since Red/Blue.

I'm glad to hear that the Pokemon are undulating well. The poor quality graphics was one of the things that kept me from playing every Pokemon game except Snap. I wish they'd make an iPad version of that; I think it's perfectly suited.

I don't recognize the names of any Pokemon anymore. I'll have to look up an dex online so I can see wtf you are talking about.

I'm glad to hear that the Pokemon are undulating well. The poor quality graphics was one of the things that kept me from playing every Pokemon game except Snap. I wish they'd make an iPad version of that; I think it's perfectly suited.

I don't recognize the names of any Pokemon anymore. I'll have to look up an dex online so I can see wtf you are talking about.
It's something like 720 or so now. That's... A lot. I'm relatively ashamed that I know up to the 650 point name to face wise. I know the types of about 620 of the 650 (some of them allude me at times and forget a secondary or something). It's daunting to jump in after not playing for a generation or two, because you're behind hundreds.

But further tips

• Pokemon Amie - By increasing their happiness, you can get some bonuses to their combat performance and experience gain. This occurs primarily in the single player, but apparently there is an option in online battling (non-ranked) to have these features active
  • Natures - Keep an eye on each pokemons nature. Natures will tend to increase a stat by 10%, and decrease another stat by 10% (or be neutral across the board). Try to use good nature typings to enhance strengths.
  • If your pokemon has good SpAtk, use SpAtk moves and not Physical moves. Something to keep an eye on, as an "upgraded" ability may not be upgraded.
  • Use the tools given to you as the game goes on. They all have a good purpose, and used appropriately will be beneficial.
  • O-Powers - Each power has 3 ranks, with increased benefits and increased costs. I tend to use O-Powers on others for rank 1 and 2 until I get rank 3. Use them on friends and acquaintances when possible. They will most likely use one back!
  • Read the signs and talk to people. They have some very specific tips that you may not have known previously (especially for this game specifically).
  • Try to maximize your money inflow. If you find the Amulet Coin, leave it on your lead pokemon. Double money through the entire game makes a big difference, and STACKS with O-Power Prize Money. Rank 3 Prize + Amulet Coin = 6x Prize Money.

I've gotten past the 2nd gym so far and acquired roughly 140 different pokemon already. I've got 4 full boxes. Very few duplicates/evolutions. It's crazy how they throw so many different kinds at you. I end up sticking around an area for a lot longer than I expect to and run into new types consistently. I'd say any given route/area has 6-10 different pokemon that the previous route didn't.

I've gotten past the 2nd gym so far and acquired roughly 140 different pokemon already. I've got 4 full boxes. Very few duplicates/evolutions. It's crazy how they throw so many different kinds at you. I end up sticking around an area for a lot longer than I expect to and run into new types consistently. I'd say any given route/area has 6-10 different pokemon that the previous route didn't.

It's a good thing I don't play this. I'm a scientist/explorer type that compulsively does everything possible in an area before moving on. It sounds like it would take me months to beat this game one time.

It's a good thing I don't play this. I'm a scientist/explorer type that compulsively does everything possible in an area before moving on. It sounds like it would take me months to beat this game one time.

If you have to collect them all...this game is going to keep you very busy for a good while. Unless you're Gyoin and you just complete everything in a week.

Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it!

If you have to collect them all...this game is going to keep you very busy for a good while. Unless you're Gyoin and you just complete everything in a week.

A week? Naw. I'll probably have my first team of 6 competitive fully bred for natures/abilities/IV's/EV trained and items, but I won't have the dex completed.

Snagged from reddit. IV Breeding guide!

http://www.reddit.com/r/pokemon/comments/1oke6r/guide_breeding_pokémon_with_three_31_ivs/

Breeding for IVs

This guide explains how to breed Pokémon with very high IVs. If you're new to breeding, at this point you will want to know just what the heck an IV is. IV stands for Individual Value, and are part of what determines how strong a specific Pokémon can become in a certain stat (HP, Attack, Defense, Sp.Atk., Sp.Def., Speed). There are three other things that affect Pokémons' stats: Base Stats (BSs), Effort Values (EVs), and some thing called the Pokémon's Nature. I will briefly explain each one, but the bulk of this guide deals exclusively with IVs.
Base Stats

The Base Stats are the most fundamental characteristic of every Pokémon species. As with IVs, there is one for each stat, and they range from 1 - 255. The BSs of every member of a specific species of Pokémon are the same. They are completely unalterable by legitimate means.
Effort Values

Effort Values are the only permanent stat modifier that can be readily changed on a specific Pokémon (IVs and Nature can be controlled via breeding, but once they're determined they cannot be altered). EVs can have values between 0 – 252 for any stat, and every Pokémon starts with 0 at birth/capture and can accumulate a total of 510 across all stats. At level 100, 4 EVs translate to 1 actual stat point. For a more in depth look at EVs, seehttp://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/EV

Nature

If you've been paying attention to your Pokémon, you'll probably have noticed a field called “Nature” among their stats. It can have values such as Hardy, Lonely, Brave, Adamand, Naughty, etc. What you may not have realized is that this isn't just flavor, but has an actual effect on your Pokémon's stats. Every Nature increases one stat by 10%, while decreasing another by the same amount. A Nature that increases and decreases the same stat has no net effect, and is therefore said to be neutral. For a complete list of Natures including which stats they alter, seehttp://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Nature

A Pokémon's Nature is typically assigned at random when it is encountered/born, but it can be controlled via breeding. If one of the parents hold an Everstone, that parent's Nature will be inherited by its offspring.
Individual Values

Individual Values can have values between 0 – 31 for each stat, and at level 100 one IV point equals one actual stat point. Unlike EVs, there is no cap for the IV total; it is theoretically possible to have a Pokémon with 31 in every IV. Statistically, the best you can hope to achieve is 31 in three of the six stats, with the remaining three being left up to chance.
Like Nature, IVs are typically assigned at random when a Pokémon is encountered. Unlike Nature, IVs are always at least partly deterministic when a Pokémon is bred, however. Specifically, a child will always inherit exactly three of its parents' twelve stats, with the remaining three being random. Each of the three inherited stats can come from either parent. For example, a child could inherit its mother's Attack and Sp.Def. and its father's Speed, or it could inherit its father's HP, Attack and Sp.Atk.
Additional control over which IVs are inherited can be exerted via the EV-enhancing items, or the Power-items as they are also known. By equipping one parent with a Power Weight/Bracer/Belt/Lens/Band/Anklet, the IV of the stat affected by that item will always be passed down to the offspring. Two more stats are inherited at random from the parents, and the remaining three are as always completely random. This may not seem very significant, but as you will soon see, this lowers the odds of breeding a 31/31/31 IV Pokémon from astronomical to totally manageable.
You need to be able to check what IVs your Pokémon have. Otherwise it would be rather tricky to breed selectively for them. The game does not directly expose the IVs anywhere, but there are plenty of hints. For the complete theory behind how IVs are calculated, see http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/IV

. For the purposes of this guide, it is enough that some very clever people have written IV calculators that are available online. There are several different once to choose from and none of them seem better than the others, so just pick whichever you like the most.
Breeding

In order to actually breed that 31/31/31, you will need a couple of things. First and foremost, you need the EV-enhancing items, as detailed above. Without them, the probability for breeding a 31/31/31 is about the same as the probability for breeding a shiny under ideal conditions. Furthermore, you will need one Pokémon with an IV of 31 for each of the IVs you want to breed for. You have a few options for which exact Pokémon to get:
  1. Lots of Pokémon from the same species
    This can work if the Pokémon you want to breed is relatively common, and you are only interested in breeding that one species and no others. I wouldn't recommend it though, because it means that if want to breed a Pokémon with a 31 Attack IV and your initial Attack IV contributor is male, the previous generation must produce a female offspring with the desirable traits. This will normally decrease the viable egg frequency by 50%, although it can be considerably more or less than that if you're breeding something with a skewed gender ratio.
  2. Lots of Pokémon from the same Egg Group
    This is even worse than the previous option. When you breed two Pokémon of different species in the same Egg Group, the mother's species determines the species of the offspring. This means that all of your IV contributors must be male, and it also decreases the viable egg frequency by at least 50%.
  3. Lots of Dittos
    This is normally what you want to do. Ditto is genderless, but it can breed with almost any Pokémon, regardless of its Egg Group. The non-Ditto parent always determines the offspring's species, so you can even breed your male starters this way. If you intend to breed more than one species, Dittos is definitely the way to go. Breeding with Dittos is a lot more predictable than breeding within a specific species, so for the remainder of this guide I will assume you are using Dittos.
Regardless, actually catching these Pokémon is probably the most time consuming part of breeding a 31/31/31. Every wild Pokémon has a 1/32 chance of any given stat having an IV of 31. Since there are six stats, wild Pokémon have a 1 - (31/32)6 chance of having at least one IV of 31. Once you have caught a Pokémon with 31 in one of the IVs, that probability decreases to 1 - (31/32)5, and then to 1 - (31/32)4, and so on. Therefore, you will on average have to catch 1/(1-(31/32)6 )+1/(1-(31/32)5 )+1/(1-(31/32)4 )+1/(1-(31/32)3 )+1/(1-(31/32)2)+1/(1-(31/32)1 ) ≈ 81 Dittos on average. With luck, you could get away with less than that. Without luck... Well, you get the idea. Thanks to /u/MissKelly087 for correcting my math here.
Once you have the Pokémon you need, it's time to start breeding. Make sure the original non-Ditto parent has the Nature you want. If there is a particular IV you are more interested in than the others, you should breed that IV into your line last. Let's say you want to breed a Modest Gastly with 31 Sp.Atk., 31 Sp.Def., and 31 Speed, and you're most interested in Sp.Atk.., followed by Sp.Def. You should then start by breeding Speed into the line.
Generation 0: Modest Gastly (Everstone) + 31 Speed Ditto (Power Anklet)
This will produce a Modest Gastly with 31 Speed 100% of the time.
Generation 1: Modest 31 Speed Gastly (Everstone) + 31 Sp.Def. Ditto (Power Band)
This is were it gets a bit tricky. After Sp.Def. has been forcefully passed down, there are two more stats to be inherited, and 10 stats to choose from (five from either parent). You need one of those stats to be the Gastly's speed. The first stat has a 9/10 chance of not being Gastly's speed. The second stat has a 7/8 chance of not being Gastly's speed if the first one wasn't. Thus, the chance of either of the two remaining inherited stats being Gastly's speed is 1 – 9/10 * 7/8 = 21.25 %.
Generation 2: Modest 31 Speed 31 Sp.Def. Gastly (Everstone) + 31 Sp.Atk Ditto (Power Lens)
This is the most time-consuming breeding step, but it will almost certainly be quicker than catching those 81 Dittos. After Sp.Atk. has been forcefully passed down, you need both the remaining inherited stats to be Gastly's Speed and Sp.Def. The first stat has a 2/10 chance of being either Gastly's Speed or Gastly's Sp.Def. If either Speed or Sp.Def. is chosen the first time, the last stat has a 1/8 chance of being the other one. The probability of both stats being the ones you need is 2/10 * 1/8 = 2.5 %.
/u/wowfan85 pointed out that there is a way to significantly speed up this step. See comment (ctrl+f wowfan85), not enough space here.
All in all, in order to breed a single 31/31/31 Pokémon, you will need to catch some 60-80 Dittos (on average), and then go through three generations of breeding and about 46 eggs (again, on average).
Optionally, you can now start mass producing 31/31/31 Gastlys (or whatever Pokémon you've been breeding). Once you get that first 31/31/31, breeding more of the same species (or even the same Egg Group) becomes significantly easier.
Generation 3+: Modest 31 Speed 31 Sp.Def. Gastly (Everstone) + Modest 31 Speed 31 Sp.Def. 31 Sp.Atk. Gastly (Power Lens)
Sp.Atk. is forcefully bred into the offspring. The first of the two remaining inherited stats have a 4/10 chance of being either parent's Sp.Def. or Speed. The second remaining inherited stat has a 2/8 chance of being either parent's Sp.Def. or Speed, depending on which one was chosen first. Combined probability is then 4/10 * 2/8 = 10%.
Illustration of the above: http://imgur.com/zJ7tzWD

Why not make a couple dozen or a few hundred of these and send them all into Wonder Trade? 100% of the offspring will be Modest and have 31 Sp.Atk., and 70% will also have either 31 Sp.Def., 31 Speed, or both!

ADDITIONAL NOTE FROM A REDDITOR

One thing to note as well, is that while on the Generation 2 step you can improve your odds and breeding time significantly by replacing the ditto with one of the "imperfect" offspring that inherit the final stat but maybe only one of the two previous 31 stats. This makes it so that the two pokemon breeding are of the same species and will therefore spawn eggs more quickly, and having both parents with 2 out of 3 of the stats you want improves your odds of getting a child with all 3.

Also, in B/W and B/W 2 there is a blue-haired character in the Battle Subway right where you enter that will tell you which stat of your pokemon is the highest, about how high it is, and about how high the overall total of your IV's are for that pokemon. He'll even tell you if you have multiple perfect IV's. Basically he'll say something like... Your Ghastly has above average potential. Its best stat is its special attack, also its speed, also its special defense, it can't be better in that regard.

Do note: a rating of only above average with three perfect stats likely means it has some pretty big deficiencies in its other stats. The potential rating notes its total IVs.
If the rating system remains the same from the last game, which it appears it does, the ratings should go like this...
Decent : 0 to 90
Above Average: 91 to 120
Relatively Superior: 121 to 150
Outstanding: 151 to 186

Top Bottom