What's new

Post Wildstar Screenshots

That chart can't be the only weapons each class gets. Maybe the 3rd weapon for every class is a big gun on the back.

I thought they only made 1 type of weapon per class for modelling and combat fluency. IE 1 big sword for warriors, dual pistols for spellslinger, spinning wheel of death for esper and fist type claws for stalker.

Weapon focuses

One noteworthy bit that sticks out for me is that we always see the same classes using the same weapons. Warriors always have a big two-handed sword and occasionally use what seems to be a buzzsaw shield. Spellslingers always have paired pistols. Stalkers always have claws. Espers always have... well, they don't have much for weapons, but they're certainly not rocking a gun along with those spectral weapons.

To be fair, WildStar would hardly be the first game in existence to have each class use a distinctive weapon rather than having a range of different weapons. But we also know that it's possible to avoid stat stovepiping in large amounts, leading one to wonder whether weapons may even be more flexible than we know... or more cosmetic.

Consider the fact that none of the Espers we've seen seems to have an actual physical weapon, which is the sort of thing that would have come up by now. It's always possible that your weapon is fundamentally a bit of visual flair rather than a piece of equipment, opening the option for classes that have no hard weapon but use abilities instead. It seems unlikely, but it's been done before to great effect, and it would keep classes visually distinct without saddling anyone with useless items.

Or maybe these weapons just contribute to a more dynamic and iconic look at this time. It could go either way.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/02/25/the-nexus-telegraph-bringing-class-into-wildstar/

MMG: How about gear and more importantly the different types of gear specific classes can use? For example, Spellslingers are always shown using dual pistols, Warriors are always using giant swords etc. What different types of weapons and armor can we look forward to using?
MD: In terms of armor, you will see a lot of what you might consider to be standard fare – Light, Medium, Heavy, and things like that. Obviously, whatever class you choose will determine what types of armor you can or can’t use.
Weapons are completely and utterly tied to your class. Let’s take the Esper class – Esper’s use a psyblade and they will always use a psyblade. That’s their class’s weapon. Now, there are literally hundreds of different types of psyblades that your character might use – and all of them have different looks and wildly different utilities – but you won’t see Esper’s running around with a giant laser gun or something like that.

There is also big portion of this that ties directly into our crafting system, but we can’t get into that just yet.

http://prepared-guild.com/forum/pos.../6519670-mmg-interview-mike-donatelli-content

The first one is theorycrafitng on theorycrafting. The second one only rules out espers for big guns, not any other classes. They have room to add weapons to whoever they want.

Strong inferences can be made from that second post, but no solid fact as of yet.

The first one is theorycrafitng on theorycrafting. The second one only rules out espers for big guns, not any other classes. They have room to add weapons to whoever they want.

Strong inferences can be made from that second post, but no solid fact as of yet.

That is a dev saying " Esper’s use a psyblade and they will always use a psyblade. That’s their class’s weapon"

This is using the esper as an example... Not much room for interpretation here IMO.

To me it's not clear that there is only 1 or 2 class weapons per class. Yes they said espers won't use guns. They didn't say others wouldn't.

My argument is weak, but not impossible at this time.

To me it's not clear that there is only 1 or 2 class weapons per class. Yes they said espers won't use guns. They didn't say others wouldn't.

My argument is weak, but not impossible at this time.

Really weak considering "That’s their class’s weapon"

Why can't you have a class weapon and a weapon that is shared by others? They haven't ruled that out from what I have seen. The only thing that rules that out for espers is they specifically said espers wont use big guns
Is this how you guys have such high post counts? lol
reply, reply, reply.

Oh and spend your life on the site. That's how.

Why can't you have a class weapon and a weapon that is shared by others? They haven't ruled that out from what I have seen. The only thing that rules that out for espers is they specifically said espers wont use big guns
reply, reply, reply.

Oh and spend your life on the site. That's how.

That's how they designed it. One weapon per class. That's it. Why is it hard, not the first time for that to happen in a game.

That's how they designed it. One weapon per class. That's it. Why is it hard, not the first time for that to happen in a game.
first: Where have they said that?
second: We already know there are 2 weapons for each class as of now. Why can't there be more?

Edit: not trying to be a dick about any of this, I'm just pointing out that there isn't information out right now that denys my possibility. Only strongly infers that I am wrong.

from that link
At the top
Warrior

• Role: Melee DPS, Tank
  • Equipment: Tech Sword
  • Armor Weight: Medium Armor (Upgrades to Heavy)
  • Ability Resources: Kinetic Cells
  • Primary Attribute: Strength (DPS), Technology (Tank)
Then in the description:
armed with a giant tech-sword and a plasma blasting arm cannon,

No where does it say these are the only weapons available. It only says that they use these specific ones.

You can't pick any other game to compare it to. apples and basketballs. I am only going off what they have definitively stated and what they have left open at this time.

The second they use the word ONLY in relation to weapon choices will my statement be invalid. Except for espers. They have said espers won't use big guns.

You can't pick any other game to compare it to. apples and basketballs. I am only going off what they have definitively stated and what they have left open at this time.

The second they use the word ONLY in relation to weapon choices will my statement be invalid. Except for espers. They have said espers won't use big guns.

WildStar AMA

On the official website, in the classes section, it states that there is only one weapon type per-class. Is this going to be the case at launch? If so, why was it the decision to confine each class to only one weapon type?
Yes, we have currently limited each class to one weapon type and that is how we expect to launch.
Some pros of this decision include:
  • The animators only have to focus on one weapon type per class which allows them to deliver unique high quality animations for each of the class’ abilities.
  • Our classes work with a Limited Action Set system, and we felt that further restricting your abilities by weapon type would be a little bit too “restricting”.

http://alttabme.com/forum/index.php?threads/wildstar-reddit-amaa-on-wednesday-combat-and-pvp.2791/

and yet they have changed this to have 2 weapons at least, at this time. Who is to say not more later?

although I may have just lost the game.

That chart can't be the only weapons each class gets. Maybe the 3rd weapon for every class is a big gun on the back.

I read that at least for launch each class will only get one weapon. This is mostly due to the animations. Maybe more weapons released for each class after launch ?

I read that at least for launch each class will only get one weapon. This is mostly due to the animations. Maybe more weapons released for each class after launch ?
I kinda like the idea of only 1 weapon per class. Makes for helluva lot easier loot distribution.

Top Bottom