What's new

RP GAMES The derelict City of New Glasgow Chapter 1: A station in space

Euchale

Crazy German Guy
The derelict City of New Glasgow Chapter 1: A station in space

razer-space-station.jpg

After finishing the last assignment our group of mercenaries approaches the unknown derelict space station that they´ve found on the mission. From the look of the station it appears to be some sort of mining/research facility and the architecture suggest human design. Judging from the outside it hasn´t been used for ages and there are no signals that anybody on it is still alive that are immediately apparent. The first step will be getting on the space station. The main entrance appears to be open, but there might be better ways to get on the station.

Rules:
Write in first-person. If you think you can realistically do something (like Watson saying he wants to scan the station), there will be no roll. Feel free to do up to 3 tasks at a time.
I will hopefully always be able to resolve your tasks while you are asleep (9-11AM GMT, which should be around midnight PST)
If you have to talk with somebody or start a fight I will start a PM, and once we are done talking I will post the entire dialog here (tr1age might make a separate discord chat for that).
If you want to say something out of character use ((text)) if you want your character to say something simply use "text" or 'text'

source for picture:
http://coolvibe.com/2010/razer-space-station/

Inventory of the group:
1 fighter jet per person
1 small freighter with flight software installed that follows you. Currently holds a communication drone to connect the space station to the grid.
50.000 Credits
Basic supplies for the next 2 weeks.
10 tons of rare metals (10.000 credits)

People in the group:

Sources for portrait:
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m8cry3nKAz1rqodg7o1_500.jpg

Last edited:
I sent out a Tacnet invite to the squad. It's the standard boilerplate invite you've seen before - everyone gets access to the sensory information of the others (it's a livesteam, you have to actually connect to watch the archive on the ship). The whole mission is recorded in case we mess up and have to restore from backups of our brains, but you can manually turn off your feed if you feel the need to.

To all:
"Ok, checking out their wireless networks now. Should be in range to see if they have automated docking. I'll let you know what I find before I do anything."

If that's successful I'll leave that option open to our pilot, but regardless I'm going to try and get into th non-secure civilian network if there is one (typically used for everyday comms, entertainment, news, duty rosters or jobs etc)

If we can't get a wifi connection, I search for a satellite dish to attempt a line of sight connection.

(I'm heading to bed IRL so I'll share what I find to advance the game).

((Can I get a breakdown as to how Brutus feels about the group? Like, who in our current group do I consider a "superior" and who an "underling"?))

((Rolfe and Buck as Underling, Tabitha and Watson on the same level as you. You are no longer in the military so you don't really have a superior right now, but if you run into an old admiral you served under, you would consider him a superior.))

((remember we have an advanced Roll system in the forums

Code:
!help
!help triggername
!moon
!8ball
!shuffle This, That, The Other
!shuffle 3 ABC, DEF, GHI, JKL, MNO

The following are some of the triggers available in the Roleplaying Dice trigger pack.

!roll d6
!roll 1d20 [HASHTAG]#Attack[/HASHTAG]
!roll 1d20+2 [HASHTAG]#Attack[/HASHTAG]; 3d6 [HASHTAG]#Damage[/HASHTAG]
!roll 1d20 *4 [HASHTAG]#Spot[/HASHTAG]
!rolz repeat 4 1d20 [HASHTAG]#Spot[/HASHTAG]

!fudge
!fudge +1
!fudge 5
!fudge 5+1
))

While awaiting a response for the response for Auto-Dock, I am scanning the area for any residual heat signals from other ships for potential secondary entrances to further weigh our options if there have been recent visitors. On that note, I'm also scanning the area to ensure that we're not being followed by anyone.

I was fantasizing about the equipment on the derelict space station when the Tacnet invite came through. Good old Watson. I accept the invite, of course, and wait for a report of findings. In the mean time I turn my attention back to the space station and crack my knuckles in anticipation. An old girl like that is bound to have some great secrets just waiting to be found.

I was pruning the last set of plants when the invite came through from Watson. I guess it's almost time.

The last mission was rough on my inventory. Hopefully, I'll be able transplant some of the plants into something more hospitable than my cramped room. I reached for my medic pouch and started to pack some of the fresh herbs I harvested from earlier this morning. I was low on cannabis, which worried me a little bit. The synthetic stuff will have to do if someone loses their appetite, I suppose.

"What's the ETA Watson?"

"Stuck on 'authenticating'. Could be a bad connection or network damage, could be a lot of things. There still could be auto turrets if we go in the front. Can't tell for sure 'til I'm in.

Hey, we could always land on the side and cut our own airlock if you don't want to wait. It's not like I'm going to stop you..."

I sent out a Tacnet invite to the squad. It's the standard boilerplate invite you've seen before - everyone gets access to the sensory information of the others (it's a livesteam, you have to actually connect to watch the archive on the ship). The whole mission is recorded in case we mess up and have to restore from backups of our brains, but you can manually turn off your feed if you feel the need to.

To all:
"Ok, checking out their wireless networks now. Should be in range to see if they have automated docking. I'll let you know what I find before I do anything."

If that's successful I'll leave that option open to our pilot, but regardless I'm going to try and get into th non-secure civilian network if there is one (typically used for everyday comms, entertainment, news, duty rosters or jobs etc)

If we can't get a wifi connection, I search for a satellite dish to attempt a line of sight connection.

(I'm heading to bed IRL so I'll share what I find to advance the game).

When you send a message to the auto-dock you get no response. The same thing happens when you try to connect to the civilian network. It appears that even the auxiliary power of the station has gone off completely. Even the turrets are disabled. The only thing that you can pick up is a SOS signal from inside the station, which appears to have been created 100.000 years ago.
You try to find a satellite dish to connect to, and the only thing that is floating around is scrap metal. On closer inspection you find some rare metals, that you could sell for a pretty penny. (I´ve added them to the group inventory)
((+1 on Investigation))

While awaiting a response for the response for Auto-Dock, I am scanning the area for any residual heat signals from other ships for potential secondary entrances to further weigh our options if there have been recent visitors. On that note, I'm also scanning the area to ensure that we're not being followed by anyone.

While flying around the station you are able to find a mining facility with an entry at the bottom of the station. The mining drill appears to have gone off for quite some time, but from where the mining drill is attached to the station you can find a heat signature emitting. You also routinely look for weak spots in the hull that you could blow out but there are no apparent ones.
((+1 Investigation))

I was fantasizing about the equipment on the derelict space station when the Tacnet invite came through. Good old Watson. I accept the invite, of course, and wait for a report of findings. In the mean time I turn my attention back to the space station and crack my knuckles in anticipation. An old girl like that is bound to have some great secrets just waiting to be found.

While you look at the space station, you spot an opening that is used for emergency repairs of small ships.
((+1 Perception))

I was pruning the last set of plants when the invite came through from Watson. I guess it's almost time.

The last mission was rough on my inventory. Hopefully, I'll be able transplant some of the plants into something more hospitable than my cramped room. I reached for my medic pouch and started to pack some of the fresh herbs I harvested from earlier this morning. I was low on cannabis, which worried me a little bit. The synthetic stuff will have to do if someone loses their appetite, I suppose.

"What's the ETA Watson?"

Your medical knowledge, paired with your research skills allow you to gather quite some herbs. They´ve been added to your personal inventory.
((+1 Research))

((Topic wrote nothing, slacker!))

"Looks like the whole place is dead. Go ahead and dock, we're going to have to do some rewiring before before I can do much more. Buck, Tabitha, maybe you guys can take a look? I'd suggest we get a portable generator ready to go."

I specifically don't mention the 100 000 year old beacon, as that's almost certainly a fault.

At this point, I'm just actively monitoring as docking occurs - not much for me to do for now.

Seeing as how we have no response from the dock, I decide that the mining area would be the best course of action to board.

"Alright fellas, I'm seeing some heat signatures by the mining equipment. I suspect some life may be occurring down here, but friendly or foe we don't know! The docks look to be abandoned but without a link to the auto-docking system it's a risk for my ship I don't want to take for safe boarding. Any objections better speak up quick! Otherwise buckle up and get ready to roll!"

I'm making sure I have my trusty sidearm and knives handy and then waiting about 2 minutes before aiming to land by the mining facility.

((Slacker, indeed!))

((Was imagining my "iPad 2498" as a two year old company issued support tool to assist with hardware maintenance. And maybe share cat memes, too. Could that work?))

((Also, what's our mission? I'd imagine mercs sent to a mining station with a frieghter = reclaim any unclaimed loots?))

"Copy on the rewire and copy on the genny. It's already ready already!"

I prep to dock while my ship ((or iPad?)) searches an exhaustive database for the station. I visually examine the mining station as well. All this mystery reminds me of the mining folktales my parents shared with me as a kid. I shiver.

((If anyone leaves towards the heat signature/mining entrance before Tabitha, I think Buck'd likely follow them under the expectation we'd be rolling with Brutus for security.))

((Slacker, indeed!))

((Was imagining my "iPad 2498" as a two year old company issued support tool to assist with hardware maintenance. And maybe share cat memes, too. Could that work?))

((Also, what's our mission? I'd imagine mercs sent to a mining station with a frieghter = reclaim any unclaimed loots?))

((I added the function. Also you have "no" goal. You just happen to find it during a mission and thought it would be a great idea to reclaim it and maybe even turn it into your own station.

Also please make up a order you want to go into the station))

((Based on a conversation between Topic and I, we've formulated the order of

Brutus
Watson
Rolfe
Buck
Tabitha

Anyone have any different suggestions? Based on my goggles and military prowess, then Watson's infiltration skills we can scout the area, then bring in the medic who can be protected by our beefier back line))

I punch in coordinates and lock on the emergency repairs opening. Using the Tacnet link I share the coordinates and information regarding the identified opening with the rest of the gang. My ship is maneuvering into place when I get Brutus' message about heat signatures.

"Damn it Brutus. Don't hog all the fun for yourself." I disengage the ship from it's current course and re-adjust the trajectory so I'm heading towards the mining equipment.

"It's about time I got out and stretched for a bit...Let's go bust some skulls!" I smack my fist on the controls and the ship shoots forward, following orders. I pat my trusty flask of homebrew and lean forward in my chair, excited to see what the mining facility has to offer.

Last edited:
Well, here goes.

"I'm coming in after you Watson. The airlock didn't kill me so you're stuck with me for awhile longer."

I program my course based on the heat signature readings Brutus sent to the group. As I approached the docks to the mining facility, I started to have a bad feeling about what may be waiting for us on the other side. I clasped the silver locket that hung around my neck before tucking it under my shirt.

Top Bottom