What's new

RP GAMES The derelict City of New Glasgow Chapter 1: A station in space

My curiosity gets the best of me and I start to follow the shadowy figure. Maybe it will lead us to something important, like information about this station. At this point, all we know is that there is ore of unknown origin.

I follow it quietly, wondering where it will lead me.

You follow the shadowy figure. It moves through the corridor and goes into the room of the Ore processing unit. While following you walk past a sharp piece of ore, that tears your space suit. Luckily for you, your space suit manages to repair itself, but you get light radiation poisoning. The figure walks in front of a machine and pulls out a piece of paper, studies it and then crumbles the paper and throws it into the bin. Then it dissapears. You walk up to the bin and find a map of the vicinity that shows you the way to the train station of this part.

((What's the deal with the Tacnet? Do we have a HUD with everyone's biometrics? Would we see an elevated heart rate in Rolfe?))

You follow what Rolfe does via Tacnet and you get scared when his space suit ruptures. ((yes you would see an elevated heart rate, unless Watson says otherwise))

I pick up the chainsaw, because chainsaw. I look for a back/shoulder strap in order to carry it easily throughout the spelunking.
You use the shoulder strap to fix the chainsaw on you.

"I found something. It looks like a map that leads to the train station. It's paper though, so I'll try to scan and upload it to the Tacnet so everyone can take a look. There's also an old machine that might be useful if someone can hack into it."

I scan the map with my suit's built-in camera and start the upload. I sit down and lean my back against the machine to rest for a moment.

"My suit tore against a piece of ore. I'm alright for the moment, but if I start to become symptomatic I'll need to prepare an antidote."

"Ok people, couple of important items:

Auxilliary power is only on for emergency systems and the research labs still has partial power, not aux. Sounds like there's a high-prority system up there - be careful, it could be quarrantine proceedures that are being maintained. Couple that with the last news reports being about some sort of research breakthrough and...yeah...bad stuff could have happened.

Erm...rail systems, ore storage, mining all on aux power. Computer core power sensor giving an invalid reading, suggesting it has power but the electronics are messed up. Also, all the dates are out on all the entries. It's gotta be a CPU error, or else this ship invented time travel. Which do you think is more likely?

The good news - the salvage on this vessel will set us up for life. The bad news - might need a few hundred people to get everything.
Overall, I'm going to suggest taking a look at the solar field array, maybe try and restore power. If we're exploring, someone should swing by the research sector and make sure it's locked down before we restore power.

Here's a basic plan for your input - restore power to the ship, DO NOT touch research until the ship is secure, calculate a route then power the engines and start the LONG trip to the nearest habitat, spend a couple of years finding interesting stuff or go into hibernation until we get there.

Alternative plan - restore power to ship, restore comms to ship, catalogue and prioritise salvage by resale value, send for people to come and help us defend it/pick parts of it up on barges.

I'll keep working on the computers. When I'm done here, I'll start looking at the research network - might have to move to do that."

(Feel free to roll for me as and when you need to - I feel no strong desire to roll a digital dice to progress)
11 rolled to program, using discord bot.

((edited))

"Woo, might finally be able to afford that trip to the motherland. Rolfe, you got a bit excited when you found that map, eh? Using the train would be nice, but need to restore power. We can start heading through the maintenance shaft once you're good to go. Would like to stay the hell away from Research - is my vote. This ship is dead. I can imagine why.

Tabitha, if you're out there can you eyeball the solars? We can dive in a bit deeper here to locate that substation."

I spend equal time fantasizing about a day in paradise, radiation poisoning, and aliens.

Last edited:
"I found something. It looks like a map that leads to the train station. It's paper though, so I'll try to scan and upload it to the Tacnet so everyone can take a look. There's also an old machine that might be useful if someone can hack into it."

I scan the map with my suit's built-in camera and start the upload. I sit down and lean my back against the machine to rest for a moment.

"My suit tore against a piece of ore. I'm alright for the moment, but if I start to become symptomatic I'll need to prepare an antidote."

While scanning the map you find another room in the corridors that lead to the train system, that should be some kind of storage or security room.

(+1 on Navigation)

"Ok people, couple of important items:

Auxilliary power is only on for emergency systems and the research labs still has partial power, not aux. Sounds like there's a high-prority system up there - be careful, it could be quarrantine proceedures that are being maintained. Couple that with the last news reports being about some sort of research breakthrough and...yeah...bad stuff could have happened.

Erm...rail systems, ore storage, mining all on aux power. Computer core power sensor giving an invalid reading, suggesting it has power but the electronics are messed up. Also, all the dates are out on all the entries. It's gotta be a CPU error, or else this ship invented time travel. Which do you think is more likely?

The good news - the salvage on this vessel will set us up for life. The bad news - might need a few hundred people to get everything.
Overall, I'm going to suggest taking a look at the solar field array, maybe try and restore power. If we're exploring, someone should swing by the research sector and make sure it's locked down before we restore power.

Here's a basic plan for your input - restore power to the ship, DO NOT touch research until the ship is secure, calculate a route then power the engines and start the LONG trip to the nearest habitat, spend a couple of years finding interesting stuff or go into hibernation until we get there.

Alternative plan - restore power to ship, restore comms to ship, catalogue and prioritise salvage by resale value, send for people to come and help us defend it/pick parts of it up on barges.

I'll keep working on the computers. When I'm done here, I'll start looking at the research network - might have to move to do that."

(Feel free to roll for me as and when you need to - I feel no strong desire to roll a digital dice to progress)
11 rolled to program, using discord bot.

You figure out that the weird long sounds are actually due to the low power not providing enough energy for the sound chip and thus slowing it down to incredibly slow levels. Upon speedup you:"Hello my name is Travis, how can I help you?"

((I will do the rolls for you from now on.))

"Woo, might finally be able to afford that trip to the motherland. Rolfe, you got a bit excited when you found that map, eh? This place is complex! Using the train would be nice, but need to restore power. We can start heading through the maintenance shaft once you're good to go. Would like to stay the hell away from Research - is my vote. This ship is dead. I can imagine why.

Tabitha, if you're out there can you eyeball the solars? We can dive in a bit deeper here to locate that substation."

I spend equal time fantasizing about a day in paradise, radiation poisoning, and aliens.

((FYI the entry and some parts of the maintenance shaft was also on the map, but where it ends))

"Hey, another option just opened up - maybe connect a shuttle into the systems and let it give a power source to the TARVIS systems. I'm not gonna do it though...I hate overly-cheerful ai interfaces."

Once I'm seated, I take a moment to look across the corridor and see a room. I orient myself to the map and my current location. That must lead into train system.

"Well, once we find power I think I have the location to the trains. We should be able to get anywhere from here."

The adventurer in me wanted to get up and continue exploring, but the wound in my leg reminded me that there is strength in numbers.

"Brutus, I think you are the closest person to my location. Do you mind making your way here? The train isn't going anywhere at the moment, anyway."

I continue to study the crumpled map, as well as sort through the bin to see if there was anything else that may be useful to us.

"Totally forgot about using ship power to run a few subsystems. I'm game to try that. Should make our lives easier to start."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"I had a thought. If the AI is acting super slow, everything else would appear to be going really fast. Could explain why the logs think everything is in the future. Don't mind me, just squawking out ideas as I think of em..."

Actions:

I continue following Brutus, providing back up.

I try and pull up a map of the station that the team can use to navigate, failing that I'll boot up an 'automap' program to generate a basic map as we explore, thus allowing all team members to know where each other are and how they got there.

Once I'm seated, I take a moment to look across the corridor and see a room. I orient myself to the map and my current location. That must lead into train system.
"Well, once we find power I think I have the location to the trains. We should be able to get anywhere from here."
The adventurer in me wanted to get up and continue exploring, but the wound in my leg reminded me that there is strength in numbers.
"Brutus, I think you are the closest person to my location. Do you mind making your way here? The train isn't going anywhere at the moment, anyway."
I continue to study the crumpled map, as well as sort through the bin to see if there was anything else that may be useful to us.

You find various blueprints in the bin, most of them for various scientific machines. One particularly catches your eye which is a containment cell that is used to suspend a material floating inside of it, so that it doesn´t touch any of the walls.

I try and pull up a map of the station that the team can use to navigate, failing that I'll boot up an 'automap' program to generate a basic map as we explore, thus allowing all team members to know where each other are and how they got there.

Your attempt to pull up a map doesn´t succeed, but your automap happily produces a map of the near vicinity.

I walk to Rolfe to check out the scrap-o-map.
You memorize various shafts and access points marked on the map, so if you need to hide, you will know where.

Last edited:
"Hoy~, Rolfe, how'd ya get over there?! You all know better than to get ahead of me! On my way to your position, pronto!"

((I'm assuming at this point I can pull up a digital map of some sort to find which direction Rolfe is?))

I start to head toward what I assume is Rolfe's location with my new chainsaw on my back. I'm approaching cautiously with my pistol, but keeping the safety on in order to not prematurely shoot Rolfe on accident

"I'm finding lots of random blueprints for various machines. I'm not sure if any of them will be useful, but I'll start scanning them in for everyone else to take a look."

I scan and upload several blueprints for everyone to see, including one for a containment cell. That's odd... what the heck would be so important that it has to be suspended in the air?

"Watson, once we get some power can you cross reference the last blueprint I just scanned in against TARVIS? It looks suspicious, and I'm wondering if we might find some answers if we head towards whatever this ship was keeping secret."

In the meantime, I shut my eyes as I wait for the others to arrive.

I walk to Rolfe to check out the scrap-o-map.
"Hoy~, Rolfe, how'd ya get over there?! You all know better than to get ahead of me! On my way to your position, pronto!"

((I'm assuming at this point I can pull up a digital map of some sort to find which direction Rolfe is?))

I start to head toward what I assume is Rolfe's location with my new chainsaw on my back. I'm approaching cautiously with my pistol, but keeping the safety on in order to not prematurely shoot Rolfe on accident

You three make your way to Rolfe through the corridors. On the way Buck spots a toolbox that contains repair tools and one small power cell with some juice left. It's actually not that complicated of a way and you manage to get there no Problem at all. The ore processing unit is huge and contains various machines that were used to melt ore and press or cast metal into shapes. Brutus finds Rolfe, who is going through a trash can and approaches him, carefully avoiding any sharp ores lying around.

"I'm finding lots of random blueprints for various machines. I'm not sure if any of them will be useful, but I'll start scanning them in for everyone else to take a look."

I scan and upload several blueprints for everyone to see, including one for a containment cell. That's odd... what the heck would be so important that it has to be suspended in the air?

"Watson, once we get some power can you cross reference the last blueprint I just scanned in against TARVIS? It looks suspicious, and I'm wondering if we might find some answers if we head towards whatever this ship was keeping secret."

In the meantime, I shut my eyes as I wait for the others to arrive.

You can see them coming from the door.

/// Tabitha is still staying on her ship, unsure if she should join or not. \\\

Hardly able to open my eyes, covered in a wet but hard liquid, light hurting my eyes, flickering, I see buttons and machinery that reminds me of the old Terminator movies. Thinking this is a dream, and too weak to open my eyes completely, I let the weight of the liquid close them as I fall back asleep.

I gather the tools and the small power cell I find ((thank you)), then greet Rolfe as we arrive.

"Find anything else interesting?"

I receive an alert that the blueprints he's sent are automatically downloading. I study them for information.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Hey everyone."

I study them as they each walked into the room. Looks like they all found some toys (tools). Buck was the first to greet me.

"I uploaded what I found. I can't make sense of any of it right now. I'm hoping Watson can decipher them once we get power going into the main system."

It didn't look like there was anything of value left in the trash bin. I got up to give Buck room to tinker with the machines. I started walking around the room, hoping to find more clues.

Top Bottom