What's new

Wrap Up The Resistance (beta 1.0) - Debriefing

Jia

So now that we've completed the first "Resistance" game, I'm eager to hear your general feedback.
I have a few things to add myself, but I'd like to hear from you guys first.

Here are a few questions I'm particularly interested in:

How did you like the game?

Anything you liked or disliked about it?

Considering that the forum version of this game is currently in "beta", where do you see room for improvement?

Did you feel that the game was too easy for either the Resistance or the Spies?

Was the spread sheet any help at all, or did you stick to your memory/the thread itself to keep track of the game's votes?

Any ideas on how to improve moderation of the game?

Any additional thoughts?

I need to go check myself into a mental institution for a day or two to come back to reality after that. First impressions though is that its an amazingly fun game and we need to actively recruit people to play it and see how fun it is.

Jia you should pm some people and ask them to participate in the next game if it doesn't fill up.

I will post late tonight at work on feedback for this.

It was a lot of fun and very interesting...I'll tell you this though...it takes SO much longer to write a spy-post and check it for giveaways! I had to pre-craft my 'accuse Kel' and wait for Jia to wake up and post it.

I enjoyed every minute of being a spy. It took every skill I learned running RPGs and lying to players, omitting critical details...

As for beta, there are a couple of functionalities I'd like to see in the form of user-locked forums - one forum where spectators can chat about what's happening and make bets on who they think is who, and another for spies/other roles. Forum conversations do fulfill this role but they aren't open for general users to peruse.

I think this game is VERY hard for the resistance to win, comparative to Mafia. This game was designed for tabletop play - where there are a great many more 'tells' to look for. In this game spies can pre-fabricate posts and take as long as they like to proof them. In Mafia you can go back and see who voted to kill someone else and thus deduct who is a spy much more closely.

Honestly, I never used the spreadsheet. It was something I wasn't used to, so I forgot about it.

I think your moderation was fine, though you may have given me a little too much information than you thought you did (but nothing Tristan wouldn't have caught, I expect).

Final thoughts...
There are a lot of strategies for this game, and I chose one that greatly affected the way the game was played from the start, and it paid off. This game may well not be indicative of a 'normal' game. Would you agree Jia? And how would you have played differently?

I need to go check myself into a mental institution for a day or two to come back to reality after that.
I know what you mean. Don't let getting "deceived" by Dire (and Tristan) mess with your head, though. It's like Survivor, only that the Spies are forced to play like the "villains" in order to reach their goal. They need to play the cards they've been dealt and really have no other choice but to trick you in order to play the game.

As for beta, there are a couple of functionalities I'd like to see in the form of user-locked forums - one forum where spectators can chat about what's happening and make bets on who they think is who, and another for spies/other roles. Forum conversations do fulfill this role but they aren't open for general users to peruse.
It'll take some organizing at first, but setting up forums for the spies and spectators shouldn't be a problem.
Beyond that, however, it might get too complicated: This game alone had at least five conversations happening on the side - Kel/Kismet, Tig/Dire, Kismet/Tristan, Kel/Tristan, Kel/Kismet/Tristan, etc. (my inbox is a mess right now...)
Managing forum read/write privileges to go with each possible conversation would be horrible.

I'm curious how many people actually followed the game, aside from Fox.
If you're reading this and were spectating: Leave a message!

I think this game is VERY hard for the resistance to win, comparative to Mafia. This game was designed for tabletop play - where there are a great many more 'tells' to look for. In this game spies can pre-fabricate posts and take as long as they like to proof them. In Mafia you can go back and see who voted to kill someone else and thus deduct who is a spy much more closely.
This game is hard for the Resistance to win either way - even in face-to-face games, the Spies win at least two out of three.
I'll post a few possible "addons" later on today for us to discuss. They should balance the game out a bit.

Honestly, I never used the spreadsheet. It was something I wasn't used to, so I forgot about it.
Yes, I think Tig may have been the only one who had a quick look at it. The spreadsheet is probably not needed when there are only five players, but I'm guessing that it could be quite helpful when there are more players/votes to keep track of.

I think your moderation was fine, though you may have given me a little too much information than you thought you did (but nothing Tristan wouldn't have caught, I expect).
Yea, you made me aware of that when you called it out in the Spy conversation. I figured I had written something that you had already considered, but slapped my head when you pointed out that I was being too chatty.
Surprisingly, moderating is not as easy as I thought it would be. There are plenty of ways to unintentionally give away information.

One thing that I needed to be careful of was the votes. Most of the time I knew what people were going to vote, especially on the missions. It may seem terribly redundant for me to wait for the Resistance members to PM me their desired mission outcome, when "success" is really all they can vote. But it's a necessary step in order to keep everyone's identity a secret.

One solution to this problem would be sticking to a given time frame - i.e. I wait for 24 hours after the mission is a "go", and only then do I post the mission outcome (provided that the Spies send me their votes within those 24 hours).

Another solution would be having the team members send me both their mission team vote and their mission outcome vote in one PM.
For example:

I vote "yes" for Tig's team!
If the mission is a "go", I vote succeed!

I don't know. I'll have to give this some more thought.

There are a lot of strategies for this game, and I chose one that greatly affected the way the game was played from the start, and it paid off. This game may well not be indicative of a 'normal' game. Would you agree Jia? And how would you have played differently?
I can't really tell you what a normal game looks like, since the forum version is a whole new game. In face-to-face games, you have absolutely no chance to strategize as much when you're playing a Spy. You can only hope that your fellow Spies can read your body language when you're trying to signal them "You vote yes, I vote no!" without catching the attention of the Resistance.

I'd have to be in the shoes of a player to know how I'd play the forum version. One thing that I can say is that I usually wait for someone to put themselves in an awkward position, and then I exploit the hell out of the situation they're in. I rarely come up with a strategy right at the beginning, I look for openings.
In the last game, I would have sunk my teeth into Kismet's decision to pick a "fail team," especially since she did not pick herself. You could say that she gave the Spies an easy win, without putting her own reputation on the line. That's a nice strategy for a Spy.

I made my plan and after one revision, I stuck to it for the whole game. That's how I was able to be consistent, which was key to my strategy: within my spy role, roleplay the resistance member as hard as I could.

From there I didn't even consider Kis for the most part and in the end, I didn't have to. Convincing just one resistance member was more than enough.

I'm curious how many people actually followed the game, aside from Fox.
If you're reading this and were spectating: Leave a message!

I followed it pretty closely. I was pretty confident i knew Dire was a spy but Tristan eluded me pretty well.

I made my plan and after one revision, I stuck to it for the whole game. That's how I was able to be consistent, which was key to my strategy: within my spy role, roleplay the resistance member as hard as I could.

From there I didn't even consider Kis for the most part and in the end, I didn't have to. Convincing just one resistance member was more than enough.
For me it's usually the other way around: Convince the Resistance that one of their own is a Spy, or side with a Resistance member who distrusts another Resistance member, all the while fueling the sentiment. Until I've found an opening, I keep a relatively low profile.
Like you said, there are many ways to play this game! And should I ever play it on the forums, you can be sure that I'll use a different strategy than the one I just described, ;)

I don't mind. I won't be in that conversation though, that i know of yet
Hehe, sorry, I meant to ask the five players from the last game if it's okay with them to add you and whoever else is interested to the private Spy conversation. It's the one where Dire and Tristan were devising their evil plans throughout the game, I figure it's an interesting read for anyone who was watching.

Do any of the players mind if I invite the spectators to view the private Spy conversation?
My worry is that spectators may make the same mistake you did- get a little too chatty and give stuff away.

I am in favor of a separate spectator forum that players do not have access to, nor should spectators be able to post in the game thread.

Placing bets is a bad idea. A spectator may try to throw a game by PMing a player.

Let's keep it friendly, with nothing on the line but our egos. Less chance for hard feelings or drama.

For me it's usually the other way around: Convince the Resistance that one of their own is a Spy, or side with a Resistance member who distrusts another Resistance member, all the while fueling the sentiment. Until I've found an opening, I keep a relatively low profile.
Like you said, there are many ways to play this game! And should I ever play it on the forums, you can be sure that I'll use a different strategy than the one I just described, ;)

I played it like this: Got off a plane found out Jia put me into a spy game I have no idea what it meant. So I decided just to F around really, that was until Dire's last mission looked really iffy to me. It was the only mission that if t1g voted no, me and Dire were screwed. So I had to come up with a plan to turn the tables to be trusted. To be honest all my posts until then were just fluff. Even though the I did ask a question on the other forum about the rules, it was a legit question and it was phrased to be spy or not spy on purpose. Dire had a solid gameplan and executed the beginning half of the game perfectly. But that last mission irked me so I went for some PM's myself. This is where it got really interesting for me.

Feedback to Jia: What I would like to see is a thread that encompasses all the PMs in the order in which they were sent. So a log of all the PM's in order of when they began. This way you can see the progression of people's thoughts. For instance in a message from Kismet to Jia and me and Kel she announced yes to a mission go and yes to a mission success all at once. This locked in the win for me and Dire, all he had to do was vote yes.

I am not against the Betting idea if it is wrapped in this idea: We may or may not have a plan to implement a point system here that ties into achievements and missions and the war. We may or may not make those points spendable. But if they are, we could set those up for betting.

If a person was found to abuse that betting they would be banned outright from the site, thus forfeiting all points which will NOT be easy to get.

Just a thought on that, but I am a spy that feature may be a lie :) (or in the world of getting shit done may just never happen lol)

Oh yeah one more thing: Those who participate in these games and WIN will be awarded Achievements for their victory. The host can decide to send us icons to use for the achievement or we have two ready to go if not. Basically one will be spy vs spy style and the other will be resistance jon connery style.

Tr1age said:
The only wild card was if t1g tried to contact them so I made a fake contact from him to me before it even happened

Wait, am I to understand that T1G did not write that? Were you spoofing?

I do cry foul on that. It's an unfair abuse of Mod privileges. Kismet and I are not able to do that, but even if we were, I think this practice should be banned. There has to be SOMETHING we can trust. If the integrity of the site itself is corrupted, it will be impossible to trust anything.

I agree that forging material is not cool at all, but to be clear, Tristan didn't abuse any mod/admin privileges. He sent that message to me yesterday and photoshopped it (i.e. replaced his picture/signature/etc. with Tig's). I didn't really know what that message was about when I got it (I didn't bother asking since my inbox is swamped!), but now I know.

Definitely something I'll be working into the rules as a no-go!

Top Bottom