What's new

We're living '1984' today

This is a great read: https://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2013/09/our_newfound_fe.html

Short exerpt
Security measures combat a very different sort of risk: a risk stemming from another person. People are intelligent, and they can adapt to new security measures in ways nature cannot. An earthquake isn't able to figure out how to topple structures constructed under some new and safer building code, and an automobile won't invent a new form of accident that undermines medical advances that have made existing accidents more survivable. But a terrorist will change his tactics and targets in response to new security measures. An otherwise innocent person will change his behavior in response to a police force that compels compliance at the threat of a Taser. We will all change, living in a surveillance state.

And here's a good listen, an opinion piece that goes more into why young people these days seem to not really care that they're being watched and monitored 24/7. It basically boils down to that it's always been that way for them and they personally haven't seen anything bad come of it so they don't really care. The second half is pretty good, it gives some, in my opinion, quite valid reasons why, even in a best case scenario with no evil government or anything, being recorded all the time is pretty bad for society.

http://www.cracked.com/podcast/why-people-born-after-1995-cant-understand-book-1984/

And here's a good listen, an opinion piece that goes more into why young people these days seem to not really care that they're being watched and monitored 24/7. It basically boils down to that it's always been that way for them and they personally haven't seen anything bad come of it so they don't really care. The second half is pretty good, it gives some, in my opinion, quite valid reasons why, even in a best case scenario with no evil government or anything, being recorded all the time is pretty bad for society.

http://www.cracked.com/podcast/why-people-born-after-1995-cant-understand-book-1984/

IF somebody wants to be watched all the time, then it is his decision and it is fine with me. But if somebody does NOT to be watched all the time, he needs to get a chance to do that.

IF somebody wants to be watched all the time, then it is his decision and it is fine with me. But if somebody does NOT to be watched all the time, he needs to get a chance to do that.

If you don't know that you're being watched, does it matter?

If a tree falls in the woods and no one hears, does it make a sound?

Does it matter? Sound is still made in space, there's just no medium to carry it.

That was a joke.
The problem I have is, that if there is a system that can be abused, it will be abused. And this is what I am afraid of.
This has already happened here in germany, where somebody was put in jail, because he used 2 rare words, that have also been used in a terrorists letter. He used it in a scientific paper about literature. So there was no thread.

Also, why do I need to be watched? Is everyone a criminal that needs to be observed?

Top Bottom