What's new

GW2 What Class I want to Play RANKED.

tr1age

Administrator
Staff member
1: Guardian
I absolutely love the fact that you get the coolest looking weapons, armor, and buffs. They look fantastic and the idea behind the Guardian fits my personality. I have one major issue though, which is lack of good ranged attack. The warrior gets a gun, where as the Guardian really is forced into the front lines for ANY encounter to be considered worth while. I worry that I will miss the beauty of the PVE fights being so close to the bosses and also be bored in WvWvW. (would love to hear thoughts on that) The other weird part is the Guardian doesn't really take advantage of "combos", aka you are not going to be shooting arrows through fire anytime soon or setting up a firewall to be shot through. (they do actually put down combo fields! woo woo!! Blue Fire! The Guardian really can take a beating and if played well can turn the tide for your team, but you have to have a team for PVP. I also worry that other classes have utilities similar to what the Guardian offers, but also deal out WAY more damage and have better ranged options such as the thief... hmm good transition:

2: Thief
Duel pistols, hottest outfit in the game... I dunno what else needs to be said. The animations and the gameplay is fun, and it has a short-bow for WvWvW fun. My only issue is I feel like I will be falling back into my archetype of the ROGUE type character like I usually play, BUT because of the range I feel very cool lol. I would want to roll some sort of Bleed build for close up and buff my long range and pistols. Dunno if that is possible though, I think you have to pick one or the other... so depending on the ease of dual builds, 1 for WvWvW and one for PvE we shall see...

3: Ranger
This one has recently moved up my list by a lot. I find the pets to be very pretty and the selling factor for me is with the long bows attack that does MORE DAMAGE as your enemy runs further away. I love the idea that if you try to run I will hurt you more. The downside is also the upside, I am not usually a fan of PET classes, BUT I kinda like the hot swapping of pets and their special abilities. It is going to be a toss up between this and the thief for me. It seems to be a little one dimensional as well, but I think if they get pet utility and AI right it will be much better.

4: Mesmer
I REALLY REALLY REALLY wanted to love this class, because of the BUTTERYFLY EFFECT and my love to yell out "BUTTERFLIES" in a high pitch girly noise ever since playing Alice Madness Returns
blanket_of_butterflies_by_lerikacat-d3da0bt.png

My issue is a few things, the outfit looks like a harlet. The Necromancer outfit looks WAYYYY MORE like Alice to me for the Butterflies to work. The Mesmer is amazing when played right, but I got confused by my own illusions one time thinking that I was there with my team, only to get rolled because it was just my 3 illusions in my peripheral lol. It also seems the purpose of a mesmer is to confuse the other team. I like a lot of the spell effects, but the main great sword attack sound sounds HORRID like scratching on a chalkboard... over and over, I may kill myself.. Kinda like the Ele sounds, they are a bit intrusive for everyday play. (If you know me you know sounds are EXTREMELY IMPORTANT TO ME, shit I was not even going to consider a thief until I was questing and all of a sudden I hear BANG BANG BANG duel pistols firing to my side, turn and see a bad ass thief laying into the enemy. I was sold by the sound and effect alone!)

5:  Elementalist
I thought this would be my main character, but I can't really get used to the whole 4 attunements and sticking with a weapon set. What I like about the other classes is the two weapon sets you can switch back and forth from can have different utility, such as short range, long range. The Ele, is basically, long range/Medium/Short at all times or until out of combat and manually switching weapon sets is a bummer. I also contrary to the rest of the world do not like the animations for "fire tooth" and other things that fall out of the sky other than Rain of Fire... and I don't see myself enjoying it unless I am in WvWvW just raining fire from the towers... and that isn't long term fun for me. Oh and I SUCK at micromanaging(attunement swapping)

6: Necromancer
The Staff that turns into a dark magic scythe... that really sold me, oh and the kick ass green outfit. But honestly I HATE THE PETS, they are ugly and scary and I don't wanna hear them squishing around me. I hated the zerg pet in wow cause it creeped me out. So this is a no go for me, even the HEAL is a damn overlord looking thing that follows you everwhere, ewww. I do like the idea that is does a LOT OF bleeds and DoTs though. Necro could be VERY useful to those not paying attention to their life going down in WvWvW over time. (If me as a Guardian is not doing my job properly that is!! muahahahaha)

7: Warrior
I have not played it, nor do I really want to for any other reasons than to see what the abilities look like to counter it. Warrior is a warrior, nothing special.

8: Engineer
I never liked relying on turrets and the such. I will be happy to fight along side a flame thrower however. Looks cool as hell, just REALLY not my playstyle.

Feel Free to Post yours as well! :) Love to hear your impressions of my impressions and your own impressions!

I am going to post my top four or five as I haven only been visually consuming every video I come across and wont have any hands on time with the game until sometime later this month.

1. Ranger

I decided I wanted to play more of a ranged character as I am always melee oriented in all the characters I usually play. I like the uniqueness of pets combined with hot swapping should make for some interesting PvP play. From what I have seen the pet AI has been getting better and better which was one of my main concerns from earlier videos. I also love the bow mechanics, mainly the longbow attack that does MORE damage the farther you are away from the target. Combine the bow with some abilities to create distance and say a sword/warhorn for close combat and ally buffing and that sounds quite nice to me.

2. Thief/Necromancer

Ill explain why I put both Thief and Necromancer up here together. Thief FITS my usual play style. Its what I usually play or start with as a main character in every MMO I have played. WoW=Rogue, AoC= Assassin, WAR=Witch Elf, Rift=Rogue, SWTOR= Sith Inquisitor. So yeah all rogue, or roguish classes/professions. That said the Thief in GW2 looks awesome. As tristan said dual-wielding pistols is just bad ass, but you can also mix it with close combat weapons to swap out or more mid range in the shortbow. The animations are ridiculous, specifically the Leaping Death Blossom ability....LOVE IT.

In sticking to my pledge to try and find a ranged main I am interested in I find the Necromancer to be quite appealing. I rolled a Warlock in Warcraft as my second main character and the Necromancer is similar. Being able to summon an army of pets and hand out conditions like a boss sounds very appealing. Plus its all doomy gloomy lol.

3. Mesmer

The idea of basically being a walking mindfuck to the enemy team is very appealing. It looks to me like a profession that any schmo can play, but to really play to the full potential requires some finesse. Creating a funhouse worth of illusions and phantasms looks really cool as does the different shatter abilities you have to use with said illusions. Definitely looking forward to checking this class out in beta.

4. Guardian

Guardian definitely looks great in terms of weapons, abilities, etc. I like the idea of having good damage mitigation through armor/abilities and being able to help buff and protect my team.

5. Engineer

From the polls and the Guild Wars 2 Census, this is on track to be the least played class. I must admit I am not sure I am looking for micromanagement along similar lines of the elementalist attunements with the engineer weapon kits. That said..turrets....check.....flamethrower...check....care package elite skill that drops every turret you can summon and a shit ton of mines.....yes please. Regardless of the possible micro management it does look quite interesting to me. Hoping to try this out in beta.

Zakis said:
2. Thief/Necromancer

Ill explain why I put both Thief and Necromancer up here together. Thief FITS my usual play style. Its what I usually play or start with as a main character in every MMO I have played. WoW=Rogue, AoC= Assassin, WAR=Witch Elf, Rift=Rogue, SWTOR= Sith Inquisitor. So yeah all rogue, or roguish classes/professions. That said the Thief in GW2 looks awesome. As tristan said dual-wielding pistols is just bad ass, but you can also mix it with close combat weapons to swap out or more mid range in the shortbow. The animations are ridiculous, specifically the Leaping Death Blossom ability....LOVE IT.

In sticking to my pledge to try and find a ranged main I am interested in I find the Necromancer to be quite appealing. I rolled a Warlock in Warcraft as my second main character and the Necromancer is similar. Being able to summon an army of pets and hand out conditions like a boss sounds very appealing. Plus its all doomy gloomy lol.

See I think the Thief doesn't fit the role of a rogue very well due to range and lack of perma stealth. However my brain tells me NO!! YOU KNOW THIS CHARACTER TOO WELL! When in actuality it should be saying, YES play the character you LIKE for once! :)

tr1age said:
Zakis said:
2. Thief/Necromancer

See I think the Thief doesn't fit the role of a rogue very well due to range and lack of perma stealth. However my brain tells me NO!! YOU KNOW THIS CHARACTER TOO WELL! When in actuality it should be saying, YES play the character you LIKE for once! :)

Well its not exactly the same copy of say a WoW or Rift rogue but its definitely similar style wise.

The dagger close combat and stealth idea is close, but man it makes soem beautiful flourishes to make up for it haha

1: Thief
In most MMO's I've played I've gone with a healer/support class, or where that isn't available I've still done some kind of ranged- usually a magic user.  This time around though I want to break out of that cycle and try something really new.  The thief seems like it will achieve that for me (I haven't been in any beta yet so this might not be the case) as he's got some really cool melee mechanics, and the teleporting about is just sick.  One downside I noticed already was that the thief (obviously) wasn't able by default to wield a 2 handed hammer, a weapon which looks amazing on other characters.  The elemental weapons solved this little dilemma however, allowing the thief to retain the #1 spot.

2: Warrior
(See above comment on 2 handed hammers) The warrior looks amazing as well, being able to just charge into a big mess of enemies and lay about with sharp and/or heavy things just looks like a lot of fun.  The thief still beats it out in my mind because of the availability of elemental weapons, but if flashing around sticking pointy things in people's ribs doesn't appeal to me after all, this class is a solid second.

3: Mesmer
The mesmer did in fact catch my eye early on, messing with people's heads is right up my alley and the mesmer does it with a flare.  I think the reason it slipped down on my list was simply because the class' ranged abilities seemed to be its strong suit in the videos I've watched, which led me to believe I'd just find myself in a ranged role again.  That being said once I do a beta weekend and try it out I might change my mind on that.  If melee is satisfyingly viable after all then this class might actually be a good choice- allow me to try out the close combat but still allow for the occasional relapse into ranged magic.

4: Necromancer
This is where things get fuzzy- I imagine I'll find something I love in my top 3 so I haven't given these much more thought.  Still, if I can't break out of my magical background then necromancer seems really cool- pet zerg is always fun in my opinion, and being able to turn into a walking black cloud of death is undeniably cool.

5: Ranger
I like the idea of a ranger; it is predominantly ranged but not magic based which, while largely aesthetics, still appeals to me.  That being said, I do think that if my top 3 don't work out I'd still play a necromancer before a ranger, just because a horde of inside out forest critters trumps one regular old one in my book.

6: Engineer
Eh, turrets are really cool but they're almost never as dependable as I want them to be.  If I drop a turret or two I want to be able to go eat a cookie or something and no all will be well when I get back.  That would probably be a little overpowered admittedly, but anything less and the cool factor of turrets just doesn't satisfy me.

7: Elementalist
Again a ranged magic user, and while I love how Guild Wars 2 handles its ability system, I think the elementalist is staying back towards the 10 million abilities I can't keep track of.

8: Paladin
I'm sorry, did my prejudice shine through there a little bit?  Maybe.  For all I know guardian could be a lot of fun for me, and I might even make one my main.  If I do though then Guild Wars 2 will turn into a guilty pleasure for me.  Every time we play you'll know I'm on the other end silently crying and rubbing lye on myself.

I believe I have finally figured out my list.

1. Ranger - Ranged classes have always been a preference, and after looking at the skills and abilities of Rangers, I feel I have figured out a playstyle for solo, group pve, WvW and structured pvp. I really can't wait to test it out.

2. Warrior - Mostly because of beastly power that the Warrior can dish out with the huge range of weapons. Watching the videos led me to believe that Warrior will be my most fun Melee Class (and really only melee class I plan to play). Greatsword and Double 1h Mace. Sweetness.

3. Engineer - Bombs, Guns, and Potions. Who wouldn't want to play this class? Goofing around with the tool belt is going to be one of my first BWE things to do, but not my priority list. I think Engy will be my fiddle character, just when I need a change of pace from other classes. Seems like it'll be a lot of fun to play, but won't be my constant focus class.

4. Elementalist - Staves Ele just looks fun. A lot of utility along with monster AoE, I have a feeling she will be one of my dungeony character when more spell power is the way to go. Also, the closest I can get to a Healer styled gameplay is a Water Elementalist. She'll exist, but won't be a rush to hit level cap by any means.

5. Mesmer - Who is going ot play this game without at least trying Mesmer? Just the uniqueness of this class in comparison to not only the other classes in GW2, but in all MMO's. Illusions, bright pink beams, phantoms... It's just to cool to not have one. This might be a PvP dedicated character, but time will tell.

6. Guardian - Coming from usually being a dedicated healer, at first I thought that this class might be my first choice, but it really didn't appeal to me. Support style gameplay is usually my strongsuit, but something about the Guardian just doesn't appeal to me. Only cool thing I'd wish I'd play the Guardian for is all of the "YOU SHALL NOT PASS" jokes.

7. Necromancer - I don't like dead things. The pets are just too creepy for my taste. And the who "Transform" skill isn't appealing to me besides the second life bar (prolonging life in pvp yayz!).

8. Thief - I just don't enjoy stealth classes much. The whole stabby stabby + poisons just just suit my style. If thieves actually stole items, I'd be all over it, number 1 by far.

I believe I have finally figured out my list.
4. Elementalist - Staves Ele just looks fun. A lot of utility along with monster AoE, I have a feeling she will be one of my dungeony character when more spell power is the way to go. Also, the closest I can get to a Healer styled gameplay is a Water Elementalist. She'll exist, but won't be a rush to hit level cap by any means.

8. Thief - I just don't enjoy stealth classes much. The whole stabby stabby + poisons just just suit my style. If thieves actually stole items, I'd be all over it, number 1 by far.

I just wanted to clear something up for ya. Your choices rock btw. Best part is no one has to worry about choosing the same class. All content can be done with all characters. =)

Anyway # 4: The elementalist is actually the FURTHEST you can get from a healer in the game. (Guardians forward facing healing cone that also heals him does more healing as well as a thief's invis protection thingy) I can't explain, you will just see when you get in game. A "healing rain" that ticks on your friends for 100-200 a second for 4 seconds or whatever minuscule # it is, when you have 24k life... yeah.. you are more worried about your own heal timer than others. Don't get me wrong people still clump into those things haha and as an Ele you could always drop one down in the enemies to trick them into thinking it is friendly, then drop a rain of fire AoE right now on top of it... now that I said that... I am totally trying that LOL.

I might have a staff ele that I just learned staff skills on for WvW tower sieges just for fun haha.

8: Did you play UO? Cause if there was an actual I STEAL YOUR SHIT FROM YOUR BAG class, I would be all over it lol. I enjoy that very much, having to be sneaky and devious and trickster to get into peoples bags =P Hmm I really need to apply this to real life and get laid more...

Haha I just liked the thief style of gameplay in FFXI the best. Stealing items from mobs is always a great way to get crafting mats. And from looking over the Elementalist abilities, water just seemed like a good support style of gameplay. Again, once I get my hands on them the list is definitely subject ot change.

I am torn between Necromancer and Mesmer at the moment, played mostly Mesmer over this beta weekend but the little bit of the necromancer I played was very enjoyable. My only annoyance is the fact that the heal is available only when the healing pet is alive, but with multiple pets the issue with my healing pet dying will be hopefully lessened. The necromancer also seems like it will be more fun in WvW with the traps and the Lich transformation.

So the first BWE is over and wow you really have to play the game before you can settle on classes. Engineer which was at the bottom of my list is now my pick for my main character. My top 3 now looks like this....
1.Engineer
2. Guardian
3. Mesmer

Also for the next Weekend Event I wish to try out Necro/Elementalist/Warrior. One thing I do have to point out here is that this is the first game where so far i dont DISLIKE any class I have played. In past MMOs, I could tell you even before I had really played it that I would never touch a certain class. In GW2 I genuinely had fun playing every class I tried this weekend, to varying extents. In short, over the long future of the game I might end up with all 8 professions at some point.

So after this weekends Beta here are my current choices:

1. Guardian - They made this profession awesome. People are still bitching about range option but they did buff it and if they buff it anymore the class is border-lining the overpowered class I think. So hopefully it stays the way it is. Although I could see them adding more long range utility to the staff. I liked that I learned how to use it in WvW, I didn't sit on top of towers, I jumped down and led pushes and it worked(video to come). Nothing beats yelling HOLD THE LINE!! reminds me of the USA in command and conquer generals. Either way this will be my main.

2. Thief - Still love this profession. The pistols just rock. The daggers look cool. And the armor is bitchin.

Other than those professions, I want to try the Warrior/Mesmer

I tried the engineer, not for me.
Ranger was fun, but too single target for me and lacked the flare of the other classes.
Ele is still too micromanage for me.
And the necro... I love the look of it and the spells, but I HATE THE PETS. Which sucks cause I would prolly play a necro. Oh well it will be my mess around in PvP class. haha.

New order:

Guardian #1
Mesmer #2 (played in stress test LOTS OF FUN, love the illusions shattering)
Thief #3

Thief got bumped down 1.

Warrior... I was actually VERY suprised as how GOOD the Warriors Rifle was when I played it today. Very fun, but still way to melee for me overall. But a freakin powerhouse. FUN to play in PvE that is for sure. And that Rifle in PvP was VERY useful.

Top Bottom