Votes: 2 7.1%

Votes: 5 17.9%

Votes: 4 14.3%
  • I'm not an athiest

Votes: 7 25.0%

• Total voters

Keleynal

Jesus Freak
I really don't expect this to be too controversial, but I thought to post it here since it deals with religion, which potentially can get people heated. Here's a link to the story on CNN.com

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2013/07/15/the-six-types-of-atheists/comment-page-1/#comments

Behold, the six types of atheists

By Dan Merica, CNN
Follow @DanMericaCNN
(CNN) – How many ways are there to disbelieve in God?
At least six, according to a new study.

Two researchers at University of Tennessee at Chattanooga found that atheists and agnostics run the range from vocally anti-religious activists to nonbelievers who still observe some religious traditions.

“The main observation is that nonbelief is an ontologically diverse community,” write doctoral student Christopher Silver and undergraduate student Thomas Coleman.

“These categories are a first stab at this," Silver told the website Raw Story. "In 30 years, we may be looking at a typology of 32 types.”

Silver and Coleman derived their six types of nonbelievers from 59 interviews. We're pretty sure we've spotted all six in our comments section.

1) Intellectual atheist/agnostic
This type of nonbeliever seeks information and intellectual stimulation about atheism.
They like debating and arguing, particularly on popular Internet sites.
(Ahem.)
They're also well-versed in books and articles about religion and atheism, and prone to citing those works frequently.

2) Activist
These kinds of atheists and agnostics are not content with just disbelieving in God; they want to tell others why they reject religion and why society would be better off if we all did likewise.
They tend to be vocal about political causes like gay rights, feminism, the environment and the care of animals.

3) Seeker-agnostic
This group is made up of people who are unsure about the existence of a God but keep an open mind and recognize the limits of human knowledge and experience.
Silver and Coleman describe this group as people who regularly question their own beliefs and “do not hold a firm ideological position.”
That doesn't mean this group is confused, the researchers say. They just embrace uncertainty.

4) Anti-theist
This group regularly speaks out against religion and religious beliefs, usually by positioning themselves as “diametrically opposed to religious ideology,” Silver and Coleman wrote.
“Anti-theists view religion as ignorance and see any individual or institution associated with it as backward and socially detrimental,” the researchers wrote. “The Anti-Theist has a clear and – in their view, superior – understanding of the limitations and danger of religions.”
Anti-theists are outspoken, devoted and – at times – confrontational about their disbelief. They believe that "obvious fallacies in religion and belief should be aggressively addressed in some form or another.”

5) Non-theist
The smallest group among the six are the non-theists, people who do not involve themselves with either religion or anti-religion.
In many cases, this comes across as apathy or disinterest.
“A Non-Theist simply does not concern him or herself with religion,” Silver and Coleman wrote. “Religion plays no role or issue in one’s consciousness or worldview; nor does a Non- Theist have concern for the atheist or agnostic movement.”
They continue: “They simply do not believe, and in the same right, their absence of faith means the absence of anything religion in any form from their mental space.”

6) Ritual atheist
They don't believe in God, they don’t associate with religion, and they tend to believe there is no afterlife, but the sixth type of nonbeliever still finds useful the teachings of some religious traditions.
“They see these as more or less philosophical teachings of how to live life and achieve happiness than a path to transcendental liberation,” Silver and Coleman wrote. “For example, these individuals may participate in specific rituals, ceremonies, musical opportunities, meditation, yoga classes, or holiday traditions.”
For many of these nonbelievers, their adherence to ritual may stem from family traditions. For others, its a personal connection to, or respect for, the "profound symbolism" inherent within religious rituals, beliefs and ceremonies, according the researchers.

1 & 2. Used to be 4, but I've softened a bit on that. I'm sympathetic toward 3 and 5, but 6 feels a bit pointless.

I dont tend to step on anyones toe's and in know way am I going to debate about this, but believe me when I tell you there really is a God out there, he is real, and the saddening thing is no matter what I tell you, you wont believe me. So more than likely you will find out the truth that he is real and by then it will be to late.

Take it as you will, but that is 100% without a doubt the truth.

I'm 1, 2, & 6.

I celebrate Christmas because that's how I was raised, but I could just as easily be celebrating the birth of Ra. I think that, philosophically, religion has something to offer the world, but the organised religion has also been the number one cause of strife and death throughout history.

I'm sure that if the Vatican emptied its coffers and collected all worldwide tithes for a whole year, they could fix the Third World's problems.

I don't believe in God because there's no evidence. The bible is not evidence, no matter what people say. There is no empirical evidence of the existence of a higher power. None.

That said, if we find said evidence, I'm more than happy to listen!

So more than likely you will find out the truth that he is real and by then it will be too late.

I wanted to highlight this for a second. This is a big issue I have with Christianity. What your basically saying here is, because I don't believe in God, I'm going to Hell. But didn't Christ die to absolve us of our sins? Would it not be readily apparent to the Creator that I have lived a wholesome life? He's my creator right? So he has deliberately created a flawed thing which cannot worship him as intended. That's just bad craftsmanship. That's blaming the bullet that kills a person rather than the one who pulls the trigger. Doesn't that seem ridiculous to you?

I dont tend to step on anyones toe's and in know way am I going to debate about this, but believe me when I tell you there really is a God out there, he is real, and the saddening thing is no matter what I tell you, you wont believe me. So more than likely you will find out the truth that he is real and by then it will be to late.

You really should offer more when you make a statement like that. Who are you speaking to? The OP? Because he believes in God. What saddens me is that here you are, 100% sure of your faith but saying that you won't bother telling us the reason for your certainty because we won't believe and are going to be sorry. What does that say about your faith and the joy it should bring you that you should want to share with others? Are you content to let the ignorant masses burn for all eternity? That's not very loving of you.

Now to the topic, I guess I'm a 5 if I have to choose one.

I'd go with 5. Religious teachings offer [me] nothing that cannot be found elsewhere. I find myself only ever thinking of religion/god when it's brought up in conversation. Never would have guessed that was the smallest group, though I guess it makes sense since most people that claim "Atheism" still celebrate religious holidays via tradition.

I consider myself Agnostic. I was raised baptist and my mom and sister fully believe. My dad has always been a quiet athiest (I think) he never talks about religion, or goes to church, but I think he is just a general non believer. I would say he is a 5.

For me on that list I would say I am a mix of 1, 5, and 6. I really don't believe in a God that tries to pay attention to us, but I have tons of room in my belief system that would allow for a greater being or force that made the universe that we don't understand. It just means pretty much nothing to me in an everyday sense, and I don't care about converting anyone to my belief system. If it makes you happier or content, believe in it.

... the saddening thing is no matter what I tell you, you wont believe me.

Given sufficient evidence (and it would have to be pretty extraordinary evidence, given that no supernatural claim has been definitively verified in all of human history), I would believe in a god. Maybe even yours. I have yet to encounter anything compelling.

Regardless, you seem to be making a great many assumptions about who we are and what we do or do not believe.

Wait...I really meant Easter. FML haha. This is what happens when I haphazardly respond while in a class ;)
Love you Rajax! Just giving ya shit. And I'm sure Christians are very thankful to god on Thanksgiving, so it works.

I'm sympathetic to your cause, but you might want to consider changing your approach. Dogmatic insistence is easy but it rarely serves to help.

I dont tend to step on anyones toe's and in know way am I going to debate about this,
Basically, what you are insisting is that people take you at face value, but you are unwilling or unable to defend your position if questioned. That's fine if you don't want to engage but don't challenge either.

but believe me when I tell you there really is a God out there, he is real, and the saddening thing is no matter what I tell you, you wont believe me.
Then why say anything at all? With that attitude, no one would come to believe. Don't try to make yourself feel better about being rejected by telling yourself that people are hopeless causes. It's true that you alone cannot reveal the truth; the Holy Spirit must be involved as well. If you find that your witness is always ineffective, then examine yourself. Chances are the problem lies there, not with the audience.

So more than likely you will find out the truth that he is real and by then it will be to late.

Speak the truth in love. Not with threats delivered from on high. You may not have intended to come off holier-than-thou, but that's how it reads.

I think your heart is in the right place here. Maybe you just haven't had enough experience yet. Focus on loving God and loving others and being an effective witness will come much more naturally.

Of all these groups, I sympathize most with agnostics and seeker-agnostics. They seem to be the ones putting the most thought into what they believe and why without insisting they have all the answers.

The anti-theist crowd is getting more and more crazy. I sometimes wonder what they find so threatening about nativity scenes and the 10 Commandments. Can't we just agree that it's a good story and basic, moral rules to live by? The militancy reminds me of the Crusades, which many anti-theists claim they hate while ironically pursuing their own Inquisition. Nowadays, you're more likely to get flamed in neutral, irreligious territory by saying that you'll pray for someone than by saying that God is a myth.

Hopefully, we'll be able to find peaceful coexistence rather than having the pendulum swing back again.[DOUBLEPOST=1374797370,1374797178][/DOUBLEPOST]
Now to the topic, I guess I'm a 5 if I have to choose one.

I'm interested to hear how you more accurately describe your faith, or lack thereof. The beginning of the article did say that it was a work in progress.[DOUBLEPOST=1374797566][/DOUBLEPOST]
I believe Thanksgiving celebrates Jesus carving pumpkins with the pilgrims. Wait, no.

I could totally see Him doing that. As a carpenter, He knew His way around tools, so I suspect He could carve a mean turkey.

Given sufficient evidence (and it would have to be pretty extraordinary evidence, given that no supernatural claim has been definitively verified in all of human history), I would believe in a god. Maybe even yours. I have yet to encounter anything compelling.
I'm wondering what you would accept as proof? Perhaps if you witnessed the parting of the Red Sea? No, that was the wind. It was strange weather sure, but weather nonetheless. The rest of it is just coincidence and good timing. Maybe if you had been present at the wedding when Jesus turned water into wine? I've seen better tricks by David Copperfield. I got it. Jesus Himself appears to you and takes you on a 3 day tour of heaven and hell. Maybe. Or maybe you just shouldn't have eaten that day old pizza before bed.

Your burden of proof is completely unreasonable. There is no situation that exists that doesn't have alternate possibilities. God has chosen to work through creation; He hides in plain sight. If you were willing to see, you would see.

Belief lies in the heart, not the head. You can blame God for not "proving" Himself to you all you like, but until you drop those walls and let healing come to your heart, any amount of miracles will be of no effect.

I suppose I fit into 1, but I think some of the options are actively dissuasive in their descriptors. I do feel a bit anti-theist but that description in no way reflects my attitude. To be more specific, I think a more accurate description of my anti-theism would be that I would like it if people would come to the conclusion on their own without me needing to be coercive. I would happily discuss my feelings, but I have no desire to 'convince' someone or 'bring them to my side'. I have a lot of feelings about religion, and why I personally feel it is bad (but I am acutely aware that these are PERSONAL reasons and I have no intention of forcing my personal beliefs on others).

I went to Catholic school most of my life and I would say that was the prime motivator in my anti-theistic feelings. I consider myself philosophical in my beliefs, scientific in my decisions, and non spiritual. I'd go into more on this but I am with some people at the moment. Might revisit this and expand a bit. I love *CIVIL* religious debates.

Edit:
Your burden of proof is completely unreasonable. There is no situation that exists that doesn't have alternate possibilities. God has chosen to work through creation; He hides in plain sight. If you were willing to see, you would see.

Belief lies in the heart, not the head. You can blame God for not "proving" Himself to you all you like, but until you drop those walls and let healing come to your heart, any amount of miracles will be of no effect.
Just wanted to comment on this. The whole "If you were willing to see, you would see" sounds, to me, a lot like a UFO type mentality. People that want to believe in UFOs will see them everywhere. I remain skeptical. If there ends up being a God, and he wants to punish me for not making assumptions about his existence, then I guess I'll eat my words.

Edit Edit: Just to show I'm a good sport about Religion, I want to throw in this excerpt from Chassidic liturature that I've always liked:

The Master teaches the student that God created everything in the world to be appreciated, since everything is here to teach us a lesson.
One clever student asks:
❝What lesson can we learn from atheists? Why did God create them?❞
The Master responds ❝God created atheists to teach us the most important lesson of them all — the lesson of true compassion. You see, when an atheist performs an act of charity, visits someone who is sick, helps someone in need, and cares for the world, he is not doing so because of some religious teaching. He does not believe that God commanded him to perform this act. In fact, he does not believe in God at all, so his acts are based on an inner sense of morality. And look at the kindness an atheist can bestow upon others simply because he feels it to be right.❞
❝This means,❞ the Master continued ❝that when someone reaches out to you for help, you should never say ‘I pray that God will help you.’ Instead, for the moment, you should become an atheist, imagine that there is no God who can help, and say ‘I will help you.’

I'm interested to hear how you more accurately describe your faith, or lack thereof. The beginning of the article did say that it was a work in progress.

I guess I would say that if my family members were not so actively religious and if I had not been raised being very active in a Christian church, I would think of religion and god almost never. I attend things like Christmas Eve service with my family if I'm visiting that particular night, only out of respect for them and because they are going. It's not a spiritual experience for me. Typically, though, we visit for a weekend and we get up and leave to travel home on Sunday morning when the rest of the family leaves for church and travels after. I attend my brother's church when I visit him because I think it's neat to see my baby brother preach or sing or whatever he happens to be doing that week. I also enjoy the music and if there is one thing I miss about my time attending church it is participating in musical activities and singing. While singing hymns and other Christian songs I do not reflect on the words or sing them as praise - I just like to sing in a big group. In addition, a good number of people on my Facebook friends list are people I know through the church growing up. They are good people and I enjoy hearing about their lives. Religion and spirituality come up a LOT in peoples facebook posts, so while I say that I rarely if ever think of religion, I am bombarded with it quite often, multiple times a day. Not in any negative way, although it does get a little tiresome at times.

So while I say I'm a 5, one could argue there is some 6 sprinkled in there. I am definitely not an active non-believer. I have no interest in convincing anyone they are wrong about their beliefs. I will engage in a conversation about religion on a site such as this because you are all people who interest me and I enjoy a good discussion about anything. I might engage in religious discussions more than say, politics, simply because I know more about the subject. I am not, however, going to hang out on /r/athiesm or any other forum like that looking for discussions to jump into.

It's quite hard to explain a belief system you don't have and really don't care much about. That being said, I probably live my life more in line with Christian doctrine now than I did earlier in my life simply because there are some good principles set forth in the Bible and by Jesus and I'm a fairly good person and try to be better. I just don't do it with religion in mind.

If an Entity exists with the capability to forge all of reality from its sheer will and it wanted me to believe, I would. Its that simple. The fact that i don't means That if hypothetically it Does exist then it either does not care if i do or it wants me to not believe.
That fits right in with the quote I put at the end of my post, and I think that's a great mentality (albeit perhaps worded a bit more abrasively then it should). If an all powerful God created me and I am a stern atheist, then perhaps that is the way it is supposed to be.

Top Bottom