Votes: 2 7.1%

Votes: 5 17.9%

Votes: 4 14.3%
  • I'm not an athiest

Votes: 7 25.0%

• Total voters
Rapid people.
Flash_Rei.png

Your God appears to be science and humanity. Pretty dogmatically, in fact.

Science is, by its nature, anti-dogmatic. It doesn't demand that you have faith in its claims, but rather makes a case based on what the available evidence suggests.

Insofar as this is something that can be codified, I'm some combination of 1 and 3. I don't really see myself as a 4 generally speaking but I can display those attributes in certain situations; I would say I'm more anti-radical than anti-theist.

If people are interested in some more detailed descriptions of my views they can find them splashed around these forums; unfortunately I don't have the time these days to really read these threads in detail and wade into the intellectual deep end. :(

Two things I would like to comment on though that jumped out as I skimmed what I could of this thread:

1) All of science and observation is based ultimately on the cosmological principle, which posits that matter in the universe is homogenous and isotropic. Basically, that the universe is playing fair with our senses; for example that the laws of physics as we know them apply everywhere and thus if I account for all the variables I can accurately predict what will happen half a universe away if I do something right here. Since this ultimately is an assumption it precludes the possibility of ever KNOWING something with literal actual 100% certainty. That being said, to not make the aforementioned assumption is to render all logic, reason, knowledge and wisdom meaningless. Since we act in a universe of action and consequence the only thing we can ever hope to achieve is reasonable confidence in the motives for our decisions. In terms of calculus; truth is an asymptote.

2) I have to disagree with the assertion that science can be considered a faith or religion. Science and faith are two diametrically opposed concepts; science deals with the accumulation of data from which a hypothesis is generated and tested. It begins with the evidence and ends with a conclusion based on that evidence. Faith begins with a conclusion and doesn't even require evidence, though some seek to find evidence in support of a conclusion they already hold. It is possible in this way for faith to mimic science (and not just in regards to religions; see cryptozoology) and this can lead to misconceptions that science can be treated as a religion. Under these circumstances however it simply ceases to be actual science.

I feel like there should be an option 7 that says bits and pieces of all of the above.

): except some of them I don't relate too at all. /flounder

oh btw. I love how you are about religion Kel <3

/sigh... ok.
I'm NOT an atheist. I DO firmly believe there is a superior being that is part of all of us... call it GOD if it makes YOU feel better because I hardly believe it bothers itself with whatever you think of its existence... (NO NO! /slap bad BAD Thova) :babymonkey:eek:k, back on track.
Why is it that if I don't want to believe in what anyone else says I'm an atheist? Self introspection doesn't count? trying to figure out and tap into the ancestral knowledge that is bound to be in ones soul is bullshit? oh ok, move along.
BUT in the end if when I die I end up in front of some really old dude asking me stuff in front of some pearly white gates I'll just answer him
"Dude, Peter right?, ok listen I'm really sorry but I tried to roll my own way and if that didn't work out for you then judge me for the way I lived, and if after all that is done it still isn't enough just banish me into nothingness."
So there is that. Religions to me are like Gameguides to life, it will tell you the way to play the game someone else figured out and will get you to the ending, now tell me, did you enjoy it? but I digress.
/cheers

My grandfather was a protestant priest and superintendent. Therefore my mother is religious but quiet about it. My father was a politician of the Christian Democratic Union in Germany and fought for unity and freedom Germany and never opposed same sex marriage or equal rights. Just 40km south of here you're in Bavaria, and once you end up in a small village you have the Catholic nutjobs that actually cause the problems you always hear about. You're religious? Fine with me, just don't rub it in my face and look down upon me for not sharing your belief. Same for vegetarian, vegans, hip-hop-fanatics, you name it. It's your culture, not mine. You can show it to me, but don't force it on me. My husband was in the US for a high school year, down in Louisiana. His foster family was very religious. Very. So much that the mother would pull over her car to pray a thank you when her favorite song was played on the radio. So much that she would rather pray for her son's mental health instead of ensuring he gets health insurance and help. I tried to explain to her that as long as she is against same sex couples adopting children she shouldn't be against sex-ed that would prevent unwanted children. But god forbid, sex ed in schools, the poor kids! Also she seems to hate her environment, judging by what car she drives, how she treats her garbage and how she looks down upon my husband's hybrid car that only needs 1/4 of the fuel hers does. Also she might hate me for not just nodding to everything she says. Because, come on, you can't pray away autism. You can't. No, the kid doesn't need more love (of god), he needs help.

Be religious, be that way, but please don't harm anyone with it!

Also, I chose 2.

/sigh... ok.
I'm NOT an atheist. I DO firmly believe there is a superior being that is part of all of us... call it GOD if it makes YOU feel better because I hardly believe it bothers itself with whatever you think of its existence... (NO NO! /slap bad BAD Thova) :babymonkey:eek:k, back on track.
Why is it that if I don't want to believe in what anyone else says I'm an atheist?
/cheers

A lot of people who actively prep and jump into these discussions like to use specific terms, classifications and arguments that they can memorize and swap around at will. I don't know what is is about debating but when it gets serious it often ends up like chess where you have names for "famous" moves like the Stonewall Attack (the what? All I did was move a pawn...). So, in the parlance of the trade, they're using a Straw Man against you; defining (on their own and probably with complete disregard for anything you've said) your position in a manner that is easier for them to attack. Its unfortunate but a lot of people have difficulty recognizing and responding to individual views as opposed broader belief systems. They think "Christian vs. Muslim" and "Republican vs. Democrat" rather than "Tom's views vs. Harry's" and "Jess' views vs. Bob's".

That all being said, if you find yourself in an argument with someone who refuses to accept you as an individual (and don't want to simply walk away), you could try telling them you're a deist. It's still going with an ideology (which I hate doing) but at least its one closer to your position than atheism is.

A lot of people who actively prep and jump into these discussions like to use specific terms, classifications and arguments that they can memorize and swap around at will. I don't know what is is about debating but when it gets serious it often ends up like chess where you have names for "famous" moves like the Stonewall Attack (the what? All I did was move a pawn...). So, in the parlance of the trade, they're using a Straw Man against you; defining (on their own and probably with complete disregard for anything you've said) your position in a manner that is easier for them to attack. Its unfortunate but a lot of people have difficulty recognizing and responding to individual views as opposed broader belief systems. They think "Christian vs. Muslim" and "Republican vs. Democrat" rather than "Tom's views vs. Harry's" and "Jess' views vs. Bob's".

That all being said, if you find yourself in an argument with someone who refuses to accept you as an individual (and don't want to simply walk away), you could try telling them you're a deist. It's still going with an ideology (which I hate doing) but at least its one closer to your position than atheism is.

I'm not assuming that everyone who picked "not an atheist" automatically belongs to some sort of organized religion. It just means you think that there's some kind of deity out there somewhere. I'm looking at you, Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster members.

I'm not assuming that everyone who picked "not an atheist" automatically belongs to some sort of organized religion. It just means you think that there's some kind of deity out there somewhere. I'm looking at you, Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster members.

Don´t forget the holy honeybee queen that bring mead down from the heaven.

Top Bottom