What's new

AltTabMe The community that believes in Captilization and Grammar

I don't think it's fair to make an assumption about some one's intelligence, upbringing, or education based on written communication alone. I think some one could be very old and quite well educated and still use your instead of you're. We all have our pet peeves, but let's try not to let it get personal.

It's not a pet peeve. And fair is a totally bullshit concept in most cases. In my opinion we do a disservice to overlook things like this. Sure, this is a gaming forum, so who gives a shit, right? Do you think a prospective employer who reads a resume written that way is going to care that someone got an E in grammar? I have no idea what an E is, by the way. That grade did not exist when I was in school. Is that a "we don't want to fail anyone and make them feel badly about themselves or hold them remotely responsible for anything" grade or is it some alternative grading scale? We are constantly judged by others for many things - a great many of which are unjust and out of our control. Grammar doesn't fall into that category.

I'm quite tired of being scolded for holding people to what isn't even a mediocre standard. I understand there are lots of grammatical rules that may be difficult to remember and easy to screw up with typos and the like. "I" being capitalized isn't one of them. Is there a single situation where the word "I" should not be capitalized? Does it give you no pause that a person could get through their entire lives and not know this very basic and simple rule? What I said wasn't a personal attack. It was in response to something said by a single person, but directed at the general state of education.

As I've previously stated, there are times when poor grammar and capitalization get a pass. An application, even on a gaming site, is an opportunity for a person to present themselves in the best light possible. When a person capitalizes some sentences and not others, punctuates here but not there, it's typically not a sign of poor education or lack of intelligence. It indicates that at best you are lazy and at worst you don't care enough about the community to put forth any effort.

Otakebi now knows a capitalization rule that he didn't previously know. That is a good thing. I didn't call him any names, insult his mother, or say anything that should cause him to cry himself to sleep at night. So if I can't speak my mind to this very limited extent in a motherfucking rant thread, then I am absolutely in the wrong community.

Otakebi now knows a capitalization rule that he didn't previously know. That is a good thing. I didn't call him any names, insult his mother, or say anything that should cause him to cry himself to sleep at night. So if I can't speak my mind to this very limited extent in a motherfucking rant thread, then I am absolutely in the wrong community.

You are absolutely correct. Correcting someones grammar, having opposing view points, disagreements are not personal attacks. This is the rant forum and all that is allowed here.

I didn't call him any names, insult his mother
That would have been an example of personal attacks which we don't want. She didn't do that so all's fair.

I actually stand pretty damn close to Fen's point of view on this subject myself.

Well now he was taught to capitalize the word "I".

E. E. Cummings is a quite successful writer, yet in these poems he has none of them capitalized.

http://www.poetryfoundation.org/poem/179622
http://writersalmanac.publicradio.org/?date=2009/10/14

Also, this is just one of many Capitalization rules in the English language... here's a list of a few....

http://www.grammarbook.com/punctuation/capital.asp

Just because it's obvious to us does not mean that other people "should" know it. I'm not trying to defend people who use poor grammar, only trying to show that it isn't fully their fault. If we are never taught something that is created by humans(like the english language), we cannot be expected to know it.

The one thing that frustrates me about grammar and punctuation is in TEXTING. I always end up misreading what people type and have an inappropriate response (I get mad/sad about something when it wasn't intended). To me, that is quite frustrating, even if my own grammar and punctuation could use work.

It's not a pet peeve. And fair is a totally bullshit concept in most cases. In my opinion we do a disservice to overlook things like this. Sure, this is a gaming forum, so who gives a shit, right? Do you think a prospective employer who reads a resume written that way is going to care that someone got an E in grammar? I have no idea what an E is, by the way. That grade did not exist when I was in school. Is that a "we don't want to fail anyone and make them feel badly about themselves or hold them remotely responsible for anything" grade or is it some alternative grading scale? We are constantly judged by others for many things - a great many of which are unjust and out of our control. Grammar doesn't fall into that category.

I'm quite tired of being scolded for holding people to what isn't even a mediocre standard. I understand there are lots of grammatical rules that may be difficult to remember and easy to screw up with typos and the like. "I" being capitalized isn't one of them. Is there a single situation where the word "I" should not be capitalized? Does it give you no pause that a person could get through their entire lives and not know this very basic and simple rule? What I said wasn't a personal attack. It was in response to something said by a single person, but directed at the general state of education.

As I've previously stated, there are times when poor grammar and capitalization get a pass. An application, even on a gaming site, is an opportunity for a person to present themselves in the best light possible. When a person capitalizes some sentences and not others, punctuates here but not there, it's typically not a sign of poor education or lack of intelligence. It indicates that at best you are lazy and at worst you don't care enough about the community to put forth any effort.

I'm sorry I upset you. My personality is such that I try to assume as little as possible. When I read the post about not knowing when to capitalize, I wondered if they were from another country or if they were in an area that simply didnt teach English grammar. After reading your statement again, I don't think it was as bad as I first thought, so again I apologize. I was overly worried about ostracizing or offending a newer member of the community. But this is the rant area, so they should proceed with caution.

Which is a great outcome. Hopefully there was no crying involved. The fault was mine, not the community at large. I'm not anyone special here; I just hang out. So I don't speak for anyone else.

As a side note, my iPad capitalizes stuff for me. Hopefully that doesn't end up making me lazy.

What the fuck guys. I come to a gaming forum for bewbs and games, not to learn. -brucestopit-

(Please note the sarcasm!)

The only problem that I tend to have is that I type as I speak. This usually, in turn, makes me use commas a bit more often than I should as it represent my literal pauses in thought process and speech. In that last sentence, I very well could have left out those commas or the phrase "in turn" and would have made it just as (or if not more) valid than the original statement. And just then, I also included the quotations as a reference to my previously previous statement in order to prove a point, AS WELL AS including parenthesis as another side point (or thought/clarification) to further enunciate my style or word play. Even more so, I capitalized "AS WELL AS" to put more emphasis on my second point after the comma as it was an extension to the same point of interest, yet different.

And this is how my mind works in terms of words.

Also, I screw up my words a lot. I forget what certain words mean and replace them with words that don't work, but in my head do because I've mixed up the definitions.

The one thing that frustrates me about grammar and punctuation is in TEXTING. I always end up misreading what people type and have an inappropriate response (I get mad/sad about something when it wasn't intended). To me, that is quite frustrating, even if my own grammar and punctuation could use work.
This is a great point. If you are unfamiliar with the people you are communicating to or with, it's even more important to write/type/text clearly. Once you've known someone for years you have at least a decent shot of figuring out what they meant based on your knowledge of their personality. Although it's sometimes annoying to see a "jk" or "lol" after a ton of texts, at least you're eliminating the possibility that someone will miss the joke.

If you don't explicitly say or type what you mean you leave yourself wide open for misinterpretation. It's easy to forget in a casual texting conversation that a message makes perfect sense to you can be very unclear to the recipient. Most of us are guilty of texting without punctuation, but often a comma here or there can completely change the meaning of a sentence.

Sam helped his brother, Jack, off his horse.

Embrace the comma!

I have tried to use better capitalization and grammar ever since bruce and Tristan made me realize how bad it was.-brucesfist-

At first this thread gave me 12 aneurisms but I'm glad it has evolved into something more educational. I generally try to maintain good spelling and sentence structure, but we are all human. It does drive me up a wall when people are unable to use proper grammar to a point where it becomes difficult to decipher what they are actually trying to say.

I also have an unending lust for semicolons and use them frequently; they are strangely perfect for the way I think. I probably overuse them a bit as well. I agree with Fen on most points, especially that we would be doing a complete disservice to a person by NOT correcting them when there is something major they consistently do wrong either in regards to spelling or grammar. I actually like it when people correct me; it helps me to better myself.

I am from the UK, so I am a English speaker but my English grammar though is kind of bad. After only getting a E in English grammar (F is lowest, E is bottom of the barrel). I left school 8 years ago and have been working along time, so my grammar has got even worse. I'm not one to take offence to people correcting me, in fact I like it. The only way I will learn is to be taught.

I am from the UK, so I am a English speaker but my English grammar though is kind of bad. After only getting a E in English grammar (F is lowest, E is bottom of the barrel). I left school 8 years ago and have been working along time, so my grammar has got even worse. I'm not one to take offence to people correcting me, in fact I like it. The only way I will learn is to be taught.
See, with this kind of attitude, we can't help be be pleasant while correcting. It's all about making a better community, not in harassing each other into shame. <3

I like you.

Awesome attitude! So E is lower than F, hm? I learned something today too!

Awesome attitude! So E is lower than F, hm? I learned something today too!

Here ya go Fen:

National Assessments 5-14
In these tests, there aren't Grades, but students are given tests for each level, when it's thought that they should be able to achieve them. Normally if they get over 2/3 they pass the test; and are "working towards" the next level.
  • Level A should be attainable by almost all pupils in P3.
  • Level B should be attainable by most pupils in P4.
  • Level C should be attainable by most in P6.
  • Level D should be attainable by most in P7.
  • Level E should be attainable by most in S2.
  • Level F is usually attained by S2.

Top Bottom