What's new

AltTabMe The community that believes in Captilization and Grammar

I prefer the American system where no matter what grade you get, as long as you show up you get passed along and eventually get your high school diploma

/sarcasm off

I prefer the American system where no matter what grade you get, as long as you show up you get passed along and eventually get your high school diploma

/sarcasm off
That's my favourite! NO CHILD LEFT BEHIND.

That's my favourite! NO CHILD LEFT BEHIND.
The worst part about this is that the American school mentality is now not to push students to do better, but to teach to the lowest common denominator. THAT pisses me off. I understand that certain children need special care and attention in order to achieve normality, but the gifted kids are now left to their own and have to wait. Of course, it's just as bad to pay attention to only the gifted children and the ones behind the bell curve are left further behind. On top of this, the education system is under paid and, in general, uncaring to what happens (just like over 95% of the working class) as long as they get their paychecks.

If I had the resources and time, I wish I could home school my future children. And if not that, pay for private school. And if not that, heavily supplement parental interactions when they are home from public school and ensure that I am involved to some extent on their learning abilities. My biggest fear of being an eventual parent is not being able to 110% support my child in everything s/he would need.

Edit: whoops mild ranty tangent.

To tell the truth, I have no idea how schooling is now. I graduated in 92 and never looked back. Except now I am starting some college courses for a specialized field to further myself at my job.

Ok, people are getting confused with the UK grading system, so I shall put into layman's terms.

Lowest first:

F = Failed
E = Barely passed
D = Passed
C = Passed to average level
B = Better than average
A = You did really good
A* = You're the bee's knees

I just remembered that on my old wow guild forums the admin put in an autocorrect feature that no matter how you spelled there/their/they're it got changed to their. We had a few grammar nazis and it pissed all of us off so much.

He would also go in and fix any word that got used alot to a different word or phrase. One of my favorites was penis to purple headed warrior.

He would also go in and fix any word that got used alot to a different word or phrase. One of my favorites was penis to purple headed warrior.
On the NSF fourms the mod replaced the word "spy" with BigD cause um... well, long story short: one of our members was allegedly picked up by the south korean secret service for suspicion of espionage. Anyway, after that we all stopped calling him a spy, just in case. (This may be directly related to my and @crake's fault)

Back to the topic!

That usage of the word good is pretty much an accepted use now. Proper english says to use the word well. However, the word good is commonly accepted in its place. Kinda like the word aint wasn't a real word until it got used so much oxford put it in the dictionary.

irregardless is still wrong on every level though.

On topic, the biggest grammar issue that annoys me is the use of the apostrophe to make words plural. This makes no sense to me at all. People are constantly leaving out letters and apostrophes (dont, u, et cetera), but will go out of their way to put an apostrophe in a word that shouldn't have one.

Even more worrisome is that this trend seems to spreading. I get it in business emails at work. I see it on signs at stores. Why? Why is this happening?

This is even worse than using quotation marks for emphasis.

Note: There are some instances where using an apostrophe to make a word plural is okay. This is not what I'm ranting about.

That usage of the word good is pretty much an accepted use now. Proper english says to use the word well. However, the word good is commonly accepted in its place. Kinda like the word aint wasn't a real word until it got used so much oxford put it in the dictionary.

irregardless is still wrong on every level though.

I'm still waiting for them to put the word 'gullible' in the dictionary... they act like it's not a word or something.[DOUBLEPOST=1374704516,1374704325][/DOUBLEPOST]

On topic, the biggest grammar issue that annoys me is the use of the apostrophe to make words plural. This makes no sense to me at all. People are constantly leaving out letters and apostrophes (dont, u, et cetera), but will go out of their way to put an apostrophe in a word that shouldn't have one.

Even more worrisome is that this trend seems to spreading. I get it in business emails at work. I see it on signs at stores. Why? Why is this happening?

This is even worse than using quotation marks for emphasis.

Note: There are some instances where using an apostrophe to make a word plural is okay. This is not what I'm ranting about.

Dont be goin' 'round on here talkin' like big "shit". Id prefer if you started givin' people more actual advise and not jus' criticizing them. Thanks were done with this.

Haha couldn't help it :p

Haha I'm sure :p
Truly. I've read more Star Wars novels alone than most people will read books in total in their whole life. Not that that makes me an expert, but I do have an above average grasp of the english language.
Hyomicca pssh don't you know you ALWAYS put an apostrophe before an s at the end of it? (Sarcasm is fun)

I'm still waiting for them to put the word 'gullible' in the dictionary... they act like it's not a word or something.[DOUBLEPOST=1374704516,1374704325][/DOUBLEPOST]Dont be goin' 'round on here talkin' like big "shit". Id prefer if you started givin' people more actual advise and not jus' criticizing them. Thanks were done with this.

Haha couldn't help it :p
I got my girlfriend with that one the first week I met her. Told her it wasn't in there and left it at that. She came back 3 days later and told me sternly that it was there she checked. I laughed so hard. This was before I even asked her out the first time and she still went out with me.

Truly. I've read more Star Wars novels alone than most people will read books in total in their whole life. Not that that makes me an expert, but I do have an above average grasp of the english language.
Hyomicca pssh don't you know you ALWAYS put an apostrophe before an s at the end of it? (Sarcasm is fun)

Since we were on the topic of capitalization, I'd like to point out that unless you're talking about the spin of a ball in a game of billiards, the word "english" is capitalized. In other words, you "do have an above average grasp of the English language."

;)

Since we were on the topic of capitalization, I'd like to point out that unless you're talking about the spin of a ball in a game of billiards, the word "english" is capitalized. In other words, you "do have an above average grasp of the English language."

;)
And I'd like to point out I'm blasting out messages from my cellphone so I'm allowed to be a tiny bit lazy <3

Top Bottom