What's new

New Computer Help

LaNCeRs

I want to preface by saying I have not one clue when it comes to computers. Every computer I have bought has been already assembled, but this time I want to try and do it on my own, because everyone assures me that I can cut costs pretty significantly.

I am looking for basically benchmark items that would help me create a "shopping list", so I customized a computer through Alienware to show me specs.

http://ecomm.dell.com/dellstore/Pop...ype=CFG&s=dhs&l=en&cs=19&c=us&marketable=true

Where I need help is deciphering what all this means, whether the items selected are good products or if there are products that would be better, and what might be overkill.

For example, triple gtx 980 gpu's is probably very overkill, and it would allow me to also drop the power supply. I just don't know how all the components compliment each other.

Help would be appreciated.

As a reference, I don't want to spend more than $3,000 on a new machine.

I built my first computer last Christmas with absolute 0 experience.

I used the advice from the forums here and pcpartpicker.com to get all my parts figured out. Then I found an indepth 4 part youtube video series on how to assemble a computer, watched it twice, and then played it while assembling.

My PC worked the first time I turned it on. It would probably be close to $2000 premade. I got it for just under $1000 via black friday and monday deals and assembling it myself.

TLDR; You're in the right place. Also go to pcpartpicker.com

Then I found an indepth 4 part youtube video series on how to assemble a computer, watched it twice, and then played it while assembling.

Newegg also has a great 3 part video tutorial that steps you through everything that you need to do. Its what I used when I built my rig 2 years ago.
Part 1 goes over parts, Part 2 is putting it together, Part 3 is installing everything

PS: Info dump...
http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/wiki/partsguide : Details about most aspects of the parts that you will be looking to buy and a little insight into what makes certain parts better than others.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html : Compares cpu's and provides prices

Newegg also has a great 3 part video tutorial that steps you through everything that you need to do. Its what I used when I built my rig 2 years ago.
Part 1 goes over parts, Part 2 is putting it together, Part 3 is installing everything

That's the video! It was great. I forgot that it was 3 parts, not 4.

I built my rig and a few before and many since. I can help with whatever you need lancepai

I did the exact same thing as Keleynal Christmas of 2012. I spent about 1200 all told on my rig, including peripherals and the OS, and just put it together along with the guy in the video. I dropped around a grand on the actual parts and it's run everything I've asked it to at max settings without ever giving me any trouble. If you've got money to splurge you could build a real beast, but you can get a great rig for pretty cheap if you're willing to put it together yourself.

One thing I would maybe recommend is that you go to Best Buy, they have a really good kit of PC building and maintenance tools that includes a couple appropriately sized screwdrivers and pliers, some zipties, and a grounding bracelet for like 30 bucks. You could probably find everything you need for cheaper, but it's nice to just have it all before you get started and realize you're installing something at a funny angle and your regular screwdriver won't work.

I built my computer for SWTOR and basically kept the newegg videos running while I built. It was a huge help.

I also follow a guy that basically picked all the parts for you. I changed a few things when I built line but he did a good job of figuring out what is compatible.

I'll try to find the link when I get home to see if he is still around and updating his builds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you mind sharing your budget? That would help if you want assistance picking parts.

Thanks everyone for the feed back. I am pretty confident I can throw everything together, its really just the compatibility of parts that scares me currently. For example I don't want to spend all this money and not have enough power supply or memory to make the machine function. I will have to try and also find some parts guides as well.[DOUBLEPOST=1414533039,1414532822][/DOUBLEPOST]
Did you mind sharing your budget? That would help if you want assistance picking parts.
$3,000 Crakey-Poo.

Basically you mainly need to choose intel or AMD and go from there. If you really want gtx 980s (realistically you'd only ever need 2 sli'd ever) then you're definitely gonna want to go intel to prevent anti aliasing issues. Since you have OCD... once you noticed it, it would keep bothering you.

Basically you mainly need to choose intel or AMD and go from there. If you really want gtx 980s (realistically you'd only ever need 2 sli'd ever) then you're definitely gonna want to go intel to prevent anti aliasing issues. Since you have OCD... once you noticed it, it would keep bothering you.

To add onto this, the first thing that you should choose is your cpu. This will create the basis for the rest of your machine. You will have to pick a motherboard with a matching socket type. You must also pay attention to the memory type that the Motherboard supports and use that to determine either the ram or motherboard that you purchase. One other thing that must be taken into account is the size of the motherboard (form factor), that must match the size or the case that you purchase as well.

Note to others: If there is anything I missed feel free to add on.

Make sure it is also SLI capable (I think most mobos are now adays?) in case you want to double up your GPUs

just the compatibility of parts that scares me currently. For example I don't want to spend all this money and not have enough power supply or memory to make the machine function..

OVERALL
Woo, good luck on the build! With that much moolah, you'll be able to build a pretty sexy rig. If anything, skip out on the newest top of line items unless you really feel like you need them. They're probably over priced, the added benefit will be disproportionate to the cost, and it might not have great drivers yet.

PSU
If you wonder about having enough wattage for your PSU, check out NewEgg's PSU Calculator. Ensure you double the GPU quantity here to cover yourself on wattage, even if you decide not to go SLI/Crossfire right away.

TOWER
Also, IMO, go for a full sized ATX tower and full sized Mobo. Nothing sucks more than getting pumped and buying a new GPU, but it doesn't fit in your case when you try to install it. T_T

RAM
Re: memory, get a mobo that takes DDR4 sticks. DDR5 isn't coming out until 2018, and even if you decide to keep your new mobo until 2020, they'll probably still be making DDR4 around then. Also, higher mHz RAM sticks will give you better performance. You'll generally want to install them in pairs (as I'm sure one of the videos will note).

Oh, and 64 bit OS's can run more memory than a 32-bit one can. I think 32's can only support 16GB RAM, even if your mobo can support more.

NOISE
One thing I didn't consider when I built my first machine was how noisy it would be. Hard drives that run at faster RPMs and the number of fans in your case/tower greatly affect this. Water cooling might be something worth looking into if noise is a deal breaker; it will eliminate the need for as many case fans. Solid State Hard drives also help with sound because they don't spin (no RPM), but are much more expensive for the same disk space.

OVERCLOCKING
If you get quality components, you shouldn't need to worry about OC'ing very much. Plus, your comp will generally live longer and require less maintenance if you don't.

I hope this helps!

TL: DR
Those videos are a great start. I wish I had seen them in the way back when. Is it going to be primarily a gaming machine, or used primarily with a work related program (AutoCAD, Final Cut, Premiere?). Some GPUs are skewed slightly better for 3D or Video/Image editing, but all cards will swing well between work and play.

I feel like I´m too late for this thread... Oh well. If the other guys can´t help you, you can still ask me :)

I want to build another rig so bad. I've been trying to talk my dad into building his next computer so I can go over and help him with it. I'm proud of the one I built, but it's a Goddamn mess in there. I know so much more now.

Also, before you start bolting stuff in make sure everything fits in the order the video suggests. I actually had to take my build almost all the way apart when it was almost done because I somehow got some bullshit SPECIAL EDITION graphics card that's a half-inch longer and barely fit between the HDD rack and the front of the case even without any cables in there.

Top Bottom