What's new

New Computer Help

It's only frustrating if you care about wire management. Also possibly a little nerve-racking the first time you install the CPU or RAM since you have no basis for how fragile shit is.

The CPU and thermal paste were the worst part for me. I was so scared to mount and spread :(

When I build my last PC I was really frustrated because it wouldn´t start. I´ve taken out every single part from the mainboard and put it back in and it didn´t help. Then I started unplugging everything and realized that I forgot to plug in the power supply for the mainboard. *ponydurr:

My first build went swimmingly, and is still running today in more or less the exact state it was in when I put it together. Except, for some reason, it has never liked Sleep Mode very much. I can only get it to wake back up without just resetting like a quarter of the time. Programming: what?

My first build went swimmingly, and is still running today in more or less the exact state it was in when I put it together. Except, for some reason, it has never liked Sleep Mode very much. I can only get it to wake back up without just resetting like a quarter of the time. Programming: what?

Win 7? If so, this happens to me, too. There are tons of threads/posts around the web from people who have the same issue, and though I've tried all the proposed fixes, I just ended up setting my Disk Sleep timeout to Never.

LaNCeRs - A note on SSD's (I just read this today), it's good to install the OS here, but you won't notice an fps/gaming performance difference by installing a game on the SSD. Maps and things may load faster, but that's about it.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2013/12/10/hdd_vs_ssd_real_world_gaming_performance/5#.VMgHKcYgpVs

Summary

We have recently upgraded all three of our video card review systems to SSDs. This was born out of many reasons, but we certainly received a lot of feedback from our readers that moving to an SSD was needed for the utmost potential in gameplay performance.

Until now, we relied on spinning hard drives in our review systems. After moving to SSDs we finally got the chance to test the claim that games actually played better using SSDs compared to HDDs. We ran several games directly comparing performance on the Western Digital 640GB HDD we had installed prior, compared to our new Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB SSDs.

In terms of raw video game performance our conclusion is that upgrading to an SSD made absolutely no difference in gameplay performance. Honestly, we did not expect that it would, hence why we held back for so long on upgrading to SSDs. In every game we tested the performance fell within the margin of error for a realworld gameplay run-through. We tested some very demanding games as well such as Battlefield 4 and ARMA 3. However, no game showed any performance advantage with the SSD versus the HDD. The framerates were the same, the frame consistency was the same.

Here is what was better with the SSD, as you might guess; load times. Loading each game was significantly faster on the SSD. Transitioning maps during gameplay was also significantly faster on the SSD. Loading times were improved, and we had a better experience overall simply because game data loaded faster.

However, those load times do not translate into frames per second differences while gaming. Upgrading to the SSD has not given us a new performance profile in games, nor has it changed the performance we've shown to you in past reviews using an HDD.

1386638456kyKop3N8ZT_4_1.gif

1386638456kyKop3N8ZT_3_2.gif

LaNCeRs

Here is what was better with the SSD, as you might guess; load times. Loading each game was significantly faster on the SSD. Transitioning maps during gameplay was also significantly faster on the SSD. Loading times were improved, and we had a better experience overall simply because game data loaded faster.

However, those load times do not translate into frames per second differences while gaming. Upgrading to the SSD has not given us a new performance profile in games, nor has it changed the performance we've shown to you in past reviews using an HDD.

Nothing surprising about this. The SSDs are a also a lot quieter. I have an SSD and a HDD and I can definitely tell which one is being used by the sound.

So I'm rebuilding my comp back in the US.
Anyone have any recommendations for a case?

I'm thinking of getting a nice one as this will be the last case I buy for a long time.
No matter how many times the internal change, theoretically a case can last 20+ years.

This one looked interesting and seems to have decent features, but any recommendations?
www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119260

There's even a combo deal right now, interesting!
www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.2167140

Graphics cards, just a matter of how much I want to spend. Have to find a good deal out there.

I don't have a lot of experience with cases, but I'm a big fan of Cooler Master now.
Really impressed with the construction and performance of it. Almost 100% I'm getting another one.

Top Bottom