What's new

New Computer Help

I hate it when those cards are longer than expected.

I'm actually planning on doing some upgrades to my current computer this winter. I've had it for about 3 years now and am due for a tune up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I want to build another rig so bad. I've been trying to talk my dad into building his next computer so I can go over and help him with it. I'm proud of the one I built, but it's a Goddamn mess in there. I know so much more now.

Also, before you start bolting stuff in make sure everything fits in the order the video suggests. I actually had to take my build almost all the way apart when it was almost done because I somehow got some bullshit SPECIAL EDITION graphics card that's a half-inch longer and barely fit between the HDD rack and the front of the case even without any cables in there.
These are the things that scare me. :)

Thanks everyone for your willingness to help. I think I am going to use some of the tools suggested to throw together a components list and then I will ask for some help again to see where I could be doing better or could sacrifice because I don't need.

You could always stream your building through a webcam and we can all watch and walk you through it <3

You could always stream your building through a webcam and we can all watch and walk you through it <3

Honestly this is probably what I will end up doing. This is actually also becoming pretty popular on Twitch now too.

You took your first step which was to determine a budget. I'd try to identify what you want to spend on your actual machine vs other items like monitors, keyboard/mouse, software.

Once you know what you want to spend on the tower itself the fun can begin. I personally start with an idea of where I want to go with my system and focus on 1 or 2 parts and build from there. My last machine that I built about a year ago for Wildstar was being built as a gaming machine with tons of media storage. I made sure I got a great video card that will last me a long time and built around it. Because my budget was more limited I had to make cuts like keeping my older power supply and case.

Identify which of the big market items you'd want (Graphics, Memory, CPU) and then build off of that.

I move that your rig be named "The American Dream" and look like this:
interior.jpg

You want creepy eyes. Picture a 20'X20' sisters bedroom COVERED top to bottom in N'SYNC pictures of their faces. NOT AN INCH LEFT OF THE WALL.

That is creepy *shiver*. I think that was the first time i realized i was afraid of the dark

3K for just the tower? Do you plan on putting any of that toward peripherals?

I'd try to identify what you want to spend on your actual machine vs other items like monitors, keyboard/mouse, software.

So the good news is I am content with Monitors, Keyboards, etc. Currently I am running three 24" 1 m/s response ASUS gaming monitors that I bought last year, plus a razer keyboard, and naga. The only things I would really consider is the office suite and a new Astro headset, so I have a decent pool of my budget slotted to the tower and components.

Speaking of... Is anyone playing on any of the new 1440 monitors? Are they worth the price? I think it would be fun to change to these, but I just cant justify spending that much on one when they will be half the price in a year lol.

So the good news is I am content with Monitors, Keyboards, etc. Currently I am running three 24" 1 m/s response ASUS gaming monitors that I bought last year, plus a razer keyboard, and naga. The only things I would really consider is the office suite and a new Astro headset, so I have a decent pool of my budget slotted to the tower and components.

Speaking of... Is anyone playing on any of the new 1440 monitors? Are they worth the price? I think it would be fun to change to these, but I just cant justify spending that much on one when they will be half the price in a year lol.

Either rolling in dough or unmarried?

Both. I've been fortunate in my early years to be able to have some discretionary income. :) The girl is basically like a second mortgage though lol.

Nice! But back to the topic haha goodluck in your endeavor. Something i wish i had the funds to do.

Looks pretty good to me so far, need a case though haha

Also, don't forget to get some thermal paste (i.e. arctic silver)

I would recommend getting a SSD for your OS and a high capacity HDD for other stuff. Might also want a CD drive.

Normally i would tell people they would never see the difference on a 1440 monitor as compared to a 1080 one... But you look at monitors all day, so it's possible.

Honestly, I doubt upgrading to the 1440s is going to even be noticeable; especially since the game you spend the most time with is hardly graphic-intense. It'd be a pretty big expense to maybe get a little bit more detail you're not going to notice when you're running for your life.

Depending on the case/power supply setup you go with, you might need to get a vented stand or something to put in on. If you've got a bottom-mounted fan sitting flat on a wood surface, you might as well not have a fan at all.

Like Crake said, All you need to do now is pick a case and an Optical Drive. The optical drive is really up to your needs, whether it can run blue ray or not and its speed is what you need to decide upon, AFAIK brand and whatnot inst really important on these and are typically where if you are trying to save money this would be the place to cheap out on.

Good looking list! I wonder if your CPU might be overkill? It's definitely on the high end and will last a good many years to come, but your RAM is modest at 16GB. Maybe drop the CPU to a 5930k @ $570 (6 cores vs the 5960s 8 cores) for a savings of $470 and put that towards 32GB of ram?

Granted, it's a lot easier to upgrade RAM later on than it is to up a CPU.

Also, I don't see sales tax calculated in yet? Assuming 10% CA tax, that puts you about $30 under $3k.

--------

"Core i7-5930K And Core i7-5820K

Any time we test one of Intel’s thousand-dollar showpieces, we acknowledge its gravitas, all the while contending that most enthusiasts prefer to spend less and lean on their technical acumen to maximize performance through overclocking. In the case of Haswell-E, only the Core i7-5960X is an eight-core model. Buying one of the lesser models means cutting a couple of cores and some cache, at least.

Fortunately, games typically don’t penalize you for dropping from eight to six cores, particularly when you’re running on Intel’s efficient architectures, and doubly so when frequency increases at the same time. As a result, the Core i7-5930K is a better candidate for gamers with money to spend on ultra-high-end hardware. It’s based on the same physical die as the -5960X. Intel simply disables two cores and 5 MB of shared L3. What remains is six cores, 15 MB of last-level cache, all 40 lanes of PCI Express 3.0, and the quad-channel memory controller. Base clock rate jumps to 3.5 GHz, while the peak frequency, controlled by Turbo Boost technology, increases to 3.7 GHz. The Core i7-5930K is priced at $583, potentially "saving" you more than $400.

If that’s still a little rich, the Core i7-5820K lands at a palatable $389. It too is a six-core chip with 15 MB of shared L3 and a four-channel DDR4 controller. However, Intel lops off some of the PCI Express, exposing 28 lanes instead of 40. Frankly, that’s not a particularly painful wound. It leaves lots of room for single-, dual-, and even triple-card graphics configurations, so long as AMD and Nvidia certify x8/x8/x8 arrays. The official word from Intel is that the -5820K supports bifurcation of its lanes into that arrangement; however, the breakdown has to be enabled at the motherboard level.

The Core i7-5820K does lose some frequency compared to the -5930K: its base clock rate is 3.3 GHz, while Turbo Boost accelerates as high as 3.6 GHz."

Top Bottom