What's new

New Computer Help

Haha these are the types of tips that I need! Spending 1k on the CPU did seem a bit overkill and likely do see a big diminishing returns in terms of performance per dollar spent. I will continue to do some research and see if I can educate myself a bit more.

I originally had 32GB of ram, but it said there was a compatibility issue with the operating system, so I changed it to 16. What is that all about?

Last, can someone please explain how the dual GPUs work vs. just one? What are the pros to running two vs. just a really nice single GPU? Can you mix and match, or do they need to be the same card if you do run dual?

I originally had 32GB of ram, but it said there was a compatibility issue with the operating system, so I changed it to 16. What is that all about?
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa366778(VS.85).aspx#physical_memory_limits_windows_7

The maximum amount of ram that you can use is based around what version and edition of windows that you have installed. Windows 8 has a base minimum of 128gb, while Windows 7 can be as low as 8gb depending on the version.

Last, can someone please explain how the dual GPUs work vs. just one? What are the pros to running two vs. just a really nice single GPU? Can you mix and match, or do they need to be the same card if you do run dual?

Pros of SLI vs 1 card

In a nutshell, SLI divides the workload if the game supports SLI. Alternating frame renders, etc. It's typically better to get one top end card than 2 mid-range cards, but considering that you'll be getting two very good cards, you'll get more bang for your buck with your current SLI, setup - i.e, your 2x 4GB cards for $600 vs 1 8GB card for $1000.

And yes, you can pair dissimilar cards, but you'll get better performance if they're exactly the same. Even cards that are close in specs may not achieve optimal performance (notice the note in the link above about the author running a 280 and a 280 SSC).

(I didn't know any of that until I read that just now, btw. So thx!)

Old-Computer+(4).jpg

For all the shit people give Windows 8, it really isn't that bad. The tile screen is kind of a mess on a non-touch interface, but I pretty much only use Steam, WildStar and Firefox on any kind of a regular basis so I just throw that shit on the actual desktop and it's Windows 7 again. It takes like 5 minutes of work to get around literally everything people don't like about the OS. Except for the automatic-fullscreen apps, that's still kind of a pain in the ass. If you use Skype, make sure you download the desktop-only version.

Fuck Windows 8 :) Had it as personal and for work. I had them re-install Windows 7 ASAP on my work laptop. It has it's good point but unless you have a touch screen or a tablet it isn't really worth it because that is where it focuses on.

I dunno, to me people complaining about it being hard to navigate Windows 8 is like someone trying to use 7 by only opening Windows Explorer and saying it was too complicated. Like... it is if you arbitrarily limit yourself to the clunkiest tool available, sure. But they give you a standard desktop you can get to by pressing literally the largest, nearest button on the Home screen.

People don't like Windows 8 because they don't want to like Windows 8. People have bitched about literally every operating system MS has ever released, and the only one they didn't cling to like their firstborn when the upgrades came was Vista.

I want LaNCeRs to stream the building process when it happens. We could make a drinking game out of how many times he gets frustrated.

I anticipate I'll be trashed.

Lol I have not started it yet. The old lady decided she wanted a rather expensive Christmas present and as a result, I put my building on hold. I still plan on doing this rather soon (maybe an early birthday gift?) and I will definitely stream it.

To Milly's point, I will absolutely be getting frustrated. If you choose to make this into a drinking game, you better buy a lot of booze.

It's only frustrating if you care about wire management. Also possibly a little nerve-racking the first time you install the CPU or RAM since you have no basis for how fragile shit is.

Umm, Vit do you know me? I fly off my chair when an ability doesn't proc. You don't think I will get frustrated when I try to install things?

Top Bottom