What's new

The 'Gay'mer

(This part might get a little of topic so in advanced i am sorry) I believe if we want to "fix" this problem we need to start with the source of the problem. Part of this source IMO is the parents. There are age ratings on games and tv programs for a reason. I do not think a 7 year old should be playing a "M" rated game or a 16 year old should be watching "The Walking Dead" or something along those lines. Until we are in our 20's we are still learning and using what we see and hear to use in our daily life.
Example: If a child grows up hearing F this and F that then the child will think it is okay for them to use it in normal life.
Most M rated games and R rated movies have a lot of cursing in it, nudity and other things meant for mature audiences.

Sorry for the very mixed and matched post. I can never keep a single train of thought and put it on paper :p

I saw a lot of this stuff when I was young. You can't blame the media, you can blame how it is presented to kids however.

I will tell ya what games NO kid should be playing is the Rap ripoffs of GTA games. My god the things they say in those games made me double take :p

But once again it is how these are presented to their children, as parents.[DOUBLEPOST=1375304163,1375304094][/DOUBLEPOST]
He will find other words to use.

I hope so :)

You are the one who differentiates in your rules between racist remarks and homophobic/sexual assault ones, not me. But your comment "Shouldn't we allow people to be racist when they lose their tempers? Don't want to censor :p" is a little bit bitchy, I think. Please don't mistake me for someone who changes their mind on a whim or who states an opinion without truly thinking it through. I may be guilty of being hypocritical on some matters at times in my life, but I don't believe this is one of them.

That sentence was part of the next sentence. To pull it out and call it bitchy is out of context. In context it is an example of a situation, which is then explained. There are not differentiation between rules. There is 1 rule on that page.

I believe you think things out. Otherwise I doubt I would put time into responding to it all :) Although I do have trouble telling when you are debating your personal beliefs, the idea of morals in general, the gaming culture, my personal beliefs, the AltTabMe guidelines, or all of the above.

Also just to set the record straight ONE more time, and this may just be poor word usage: "your rules" are not just MY rules. Everyone who runs this site agreed to these before they were posted. Team effort here. I know we all like to blame the admin, but I can only bite so many bullets before I chip a tooth and need to repair it. Repair done.

[user]Fen[/user] describes a nice utopia where everyone treats each other civilly, and when someone steps too far outside of that, they are easily removed while still keeping the community "strong and tolerant." In practicality, it rarely or ever works that way. It assumes a level of maturity that just doesn't exist for many people. Having written standards and requiring everyone to read and accept them as a prerequisite of participation is essential. Without it, any acceptance or rejection of language would seem arbitrary. When there is a written code, people can't claim ignorance to what is expected, and they can be held accountable in an objective manner. I think almost everyone here agrees that a life with no need for rules would be ideal. That's just not the world we live in.

I don't think agreement with the rules is required; acceptance is enough.

I agree with this. We have, through trials and tribulations had to lay out the "rules" and iterate multiple times, mostly so we can say "Well.. did you read them?" to those who just think their shit doesn't stink.

Acceptance is all we can ever ask for.

In the way of saying black man instead of n-word. And as soon as you can no longer say black man, he will say colored man. And so on... It does not get less racist just because it is a different word.

But it doesn't get more syllables

In the way of saying black man instead of n-word. And as soon as you can no longer say black man, he will say colored man. And so on... It does not get less racist just because it is a different word.

I was talking with a guy and referenced "black man" and the guy looked at me like i insulted his mother to the highest degree. So what am i supposed to refer to you then. To me it would have been like calling someone who is from Italy, Italian.

I was talking with a guy and referenced "black man" and the guy looked at me like i insulted his mother to the highest degree. So what am i supposed to refer to you then. To me it would have been like calling someone who is from Italy, Italian.

Yeah but know you you did it in a "face palm" kinda way :)

A good read:

http://www.polygon.com/2013/8/15/46...rassment-erodes-industry-spurs-support-groups

The greatest threat to the video game industry may be some of its most impassioned fans. Increasingly, game developers are finding themselves under attack by some of the very people they devote their lives to entertaining. And this growing form of gamer-on-game-developer cyber harassment is starting to take its toll.

"AT WHAT LEVEL DOES MAKING A GAME TRIGGER THAT BIZARRE OVERREACTION AND HATRED?"

Top Bottom