What's new

The 'Gay'mer

Hmm. At early age (5 maybe? public school age at least) I knew and understood the concept of man + woman, man + man, and woman + woman. Knew that the first example was straight and the other two examples were gay. I also knew that gay meant happy, so the double meaning and all. Never was taught as it meaning stupid. Upbringing differences maybe?
Naw, I shouldve clarified it was a slang for stupid, obviously I knew what gay people were (like I said, family members). It was just used like "man, standing in line at the bank is gay." As an example. Its just how everyone at school (including me) used it when I was little. I didn't see it as offensive to the people because I wasn't using it against them, but that's more just an immature mind thing not really thinking about it. I quickly stopped though as I matured and one of my closest and best friends now is a lesbian, so I would never even dream of using it like that now.

Naw, I shouldve clarified it was a slang for stupid, obviously I knew what gay people were (like I said, family members). It was just used like "man, standing in line at the bank is gay." As an example. Its just how everyone at school (including me) used it when I was little. I didn't see it as offensive to the people because I wasn't using it against them, but that's more just an immature mind thing not really thinking about it. I quickly stopped though as I matured and one of my closest and best friends now is a lesbian, so I would never even dream of using it like that now.
Misinterpretation, got it!

But yeah, that's the thing about it being so painful. If the general thought process of the word gay meaning stupid while it still retains its form as meaning homosexual, does homosexual mean stupid? That thought process is what changed my whole opinion on using these words. I felt guilty in making someone else feel badly, even if originally I may have meant "you are stupid". The interpretation is still hurtful, even if meant in jest.

The moment you ask someone to stop doing something you don't agree with, you're projecting your values onto their life and their values. For most people that's an attack on them and they're going to respond accordingly. Keep in mind that most people are pretty fragile, even if they say they have thick skin. Having said that, it all basically it boils down to maturity. Being able to understand and handle the crap that periodically gets fed to you as you prance through the golden fields of life is a life skill that many don't ever learn. So it festers in them and they end out venting it on others to try to feel better about themselves. Obviously not a healthy way to deal with things and can end out being immensely tragic.

When people say moronic/hate-filled/racist/etc remarks online I've tried everything from trolling them back, to embarrassing/shaming them, to trying to help them by talking with them one-on-one, to getting them in to see a professional so they can work through whatever it is that's causing the issues. Most people online don't want to be helped though, they just want to vent and rant b'c it's easier and makes them feel good enough for a while. So because of that, if I happen to see someone trolling along over and over I'll just put them on ignore and move on. I've got better shit to do.

I always have been the popular guy, pretty much everywhere I go.
This is due to the fact that I get along with people easily and look good in societies perception.
Most of the times I hide the fact that I'm a gamer..
I just had a date and I hided my WoW mouse because I didn't think it was cool.
I'm a proud member of Alttabme, but I'm ashamed to be a gamer, and I don't really know why.
Maybe it is because of the judgement people have ready for you when you tell you are a gamer.

What I try to say is that I love you guys, but sometimes I'm ashamed of being part of a gaming comunity...

The most useful response I've ever had to people being cruel and the like is ignoring them. Their behaviour is attention seeking.

And the worst punishment for attention-seekers is to be ignored.

I always have been the popular guy, pretty much everywhere I go.
This is due to the fact that I get along with people easily and look good in societies perception.
Most of the times I hide the fact that I'm a gamer..
I just had a date and I hided my WoW mouse because I didn't think it was cool.
I'm a proud member of Alttabme, but I'm ashamed to be a gamer, and I don't really know why.
Maybe it is because of the judgement people have ready for you when you tell you are a gamer.

What I try to say is that I love you guys, but sometimes I'm ashamed of being part of a gaming comunity...

Same exact life experience, except when I was in Belgium, it was alot harder there to get friends at the beginning and I think that was mostly due to the very negative image they have of italians (especially the parents, god they thought I might steal all their shit lol). Many of Italians immigrated there to work in the coal mines and most of those immigrants were illiterate and poar, nonetheless as soon as I kicked their ass at football and got in a few fights they took me in as a brother (luck of being a guy i guess lol ) and I had a great time there as well. I too always keep gaming pretty much out of conversation with people that I know have no interest in them, I always feel like they'll think I am a dumbass for spending hours at the pc instead of going out partying often and walk around hunting for chicks (gaming in Italy is still very niche and the communities very strange).
Good thing there's the internet where someone can speak with people all over the world and meet great communities such as Alttabme :)

I totally agree with this, and will take it one further. It is impossible to tell someone to "get a tougher exterior" without being condescending and ignorant. You have no idea what their life is like, or what they have been through. If you have never been 'black' or 'gay' you have no idea how the word n*gger or f*g affects them. It's easy to say 'tough up' when it is not a word that applies to you in a real way.

I don't know, personally in no way shape or form would I regard a person's comment on my person as right or truthful, I mean I know I am not gay (not that being gay is a bad thing, but some people use it as an insult so I put it in the list), I know my mother is not a whore, I know my dad isn't a bastard, I know that I dont eat shit, therefore I feel pity for the person who is ignorant enough to make such remarks and not the other way around. For instance if someone calls me "Italian spaghetti eating f*gget" I feel pity for their ignorance and just sweep them aside (ignore buttons exist for that purpose, alongside the report button ofcourse). I can't give two shits about the opinions of ignorant fools that attach themselves to vile senseless insults.

To me it's a different story when referring to certain situations though, I'll never get mad if a guy calls me a "f*ggot" while I corpse gank him in World PvP, neither will I get mad if a football fan from the other team calls me a son of a bitch after I score a goal at the 90th minute against his favorite team, actually, to be honest I giggle thinking at how mad he must be (yes I am an evil mother fucker pedobear) . I'll never condemn insults comming from high adrenaline situations, cause to be honest they are so visceral and reactionary that I think they help to relax when you are under stress (eg getting head shotted in CS while your are left 1v1 and about to defuse the bomb and 1 sec is left).

I will say it once again: The Gaming Culture breeds this mentality like it is going out of style. To say otherwise is an excuse, the irrevocable facts are there. It doesn't even take much searching to find them.

That is the problem. No more no less.

Pity, ignoring, brushing off, thick skin, whatever it may be is just an excuse for a truth.

A truth that doesn't need to be. And in the gaming culture a HUGE part of what makes up what it is.

I am amazed at how complacent so many of you are with this. Yes I get it, let it slide, get over it, they aren't really meaning what they say,(no shit we all do this, otherwise we would all be puddles of mush on the floor right now) whatever you have said I get, but why is no one upset that this is such a large part of WHAT defines the gaming culture, the place we enjoy spending our free time. Why are we so complacent with sitting in a shitty situation, even when all your examples and posts so far have acknowledged that you KNOW it isn't right.

This is my point and this is a big part of the problem.

On the AltTabMe youtube channel I received a message and I will share it with you all

Dear Tristan,​
I hope it's ok to send you a message, I'm sure you must get swamped with all kinds of pms, emails etc. But I really wanted to just thank you for your videos, for a couple main reasons.​
Firstly, your energy and enthusiasm is awesome, I've only seen a few of your videos and one podcast so far, but i've enjoyed them immensely, and they are often very very funny, you chasing the woman with the meat.. priceless.​
Your 'alt' situation, I did the same thing, only with EVERY class, trust me that's an even worse situation to be in, they are all fun.​
But most importantly, and this is the part I'm nervous to mention, I wanted to thank you for not being a stereotypical homophobic gamer on you-tube (so far, from what i've seen). By which I mean, you don't call stuff 'gay' when you don't like it, and you don't call people 'fa**ots' every other word. It's really hard to find gamers (both in game and on you-tube) that don't spam this hate, and it's really awesome for me to be able to watch your videos and not feel crap about myself.​
Like I said, I've not seen all of your content, and I may eat my words, but so far, your channel has been 'hate free', and I truly appreciate it. Maybe it's because you love pink... duh duh duuuuhhhhh :p
I hope that this message doesn't offend you or make you feel uncomfortable, but I really wanted to thank you for creating content that I can enjoy and as i said, that doesn't make me feel like the world hates me.​
Thank you again​
So while I may not be changing the world, I adhere to a code of ethics and in turn it helped to make this person a little bit more comfortable in an uncomfortable culture that is gaming.

Wow, this is actually a really interesting discussion, but my thoughts on the matter:

This is partially why I prefer to NOT play online and just play games by myself. I like video games, but I can't really stand the community that multiplayer games have created. I hate it when people use the term gay as an insult. For many reasons. And it's not just the video game community that does this, though it is... unusually popular there. In my last guild in SWTOR, I was kind of in charge of monitoring chat. It almost felt like my job was solely to stop people from using gay and similar words in a derogatory manner. Hardly anything else ever came up besides the occasional fight.

And Triage, I'm glad you finally managed to find a simple answer to something that'd been bugging you for so long. For some people, the answer to that question isn't as easy.

I
I will say it once again: The Gaming Culture breeds this mentality like it is going out of style. To say otherwise is an excuse, the irrevocable facts are there. It doesn't even take much searching to find them.

That is the problem. No more no less.

Pity, ignoring, brushing off, thick skin, whatever it may be is just an excuse for a truth.

A truth that doesn't need to be. And in the gaming culture a HUGE part of what makes up what it is.

I am amazed at how complacent so many of you are with this. Yes I get it, let it slide, get over it, they aren't really meaning what they say,(no shit we all do this, otherwise we would all be puddles of mush on the floor right now) whatever you have said I get, but why is no one upset that this is such a large part of WHAT defines the gaming culture, the place we enjoy spending our free time. Why are we so complacent with sitting in a shitty situation, even when all your examples and posts so far have acknowledged that you KNOW it isn't right.

This is my point and this is a big part of the problem.

I think you attach this topic too much to gaming, its not just there, you find these types of people everywhere, in gaming its just more visible because its written therefore you notice more. I just feel like verbal violence is in our animal nature just like all other forms of violence, luckily the vast majority of us has mastered the art of controlling rage (yes i am a cynical bastard).

And now i better go to sleep otherwise I'll never wake up tomorrow.

I

I think you attach this topic too much to gaming, its not just there, you find these types of people everywhere, in gaming its just more visible because its written therefore you notice more. I just feel like verbal violence is in our animal nature just like all other forms of violence, luckily the vast majority of us has mastered the art of controlling rage (yes i am a cynical bastard).

And now i better go to sleep otherwise I'll never wake up tomorrow.

I am not talking about other avenues I am talking about gaming culture and the fact that it is more visible... *BANGS HEAD ON WALL*

Sleep well. :)

I am terminally indifferent about most things people argue about on the internet. This holds true for people throwing around words and phrases that other people find offensive. I seldom get very angry whilst gaming, and I know I've never said any of these things discussed here with any amount of malice or ill-intent. Now, having said that, I have more than likely uttered "That's gay" referring to a shitty game-mechanic I didn't approve of, or something else along those lines. Numerous times have I exclaimed "He/She/I/You just got raped by that thing/mob/feral druid/gravity". Although, not once were any of these comments said to someone in a derogatory or taunting manner.

Could I have used different phrases? Of course.

Should I have used different phrases? Perhaps.

We could argue about what those phrases actually mean, in those contexts, to various types of people all day long - and most likely never see eye to eye. I've seldom had, in my 34 years of socializing on or offline, to temper what I say, because it's always seemed I was one of the least offensive/confrontational people in those settings. Maybe that says more about the type of people I tend to hang out with than anything else. (Thick skinned / rowdy / foul-mouthed / amateur comedians for the most part)

To me, those two things in particular have become part of the gaming lexicon - for good or for bad. 90% of the time I've heard people say them, it was OBVIOUS, to me anyway, that they meant no intentional slight against any particular person or group of people. They were just using them as exclamations that would readily get across the way they felt about something. Could they, or I for that matter, have used any of the other near infinite ways to articulate their feelings? Without a doubt they could have. But....should they HAVE to just to avoid potentially offending someone?

The much more important issue here is censorship. When someone says I have offended them in some way, I apologize, find out what and why they found it offensive, and try my best not to repeat the incident. Why? Because I'm a decent human being, and I show people respect. When the average 14 year old CoD player is confronted by this, he mercilessly uses that information to insure maximum jimmy-russeling. Why? Because he is an ignorant immature asshat who respects no one. I knew coming into this community that there were certain things we weren't allowed to say or discuss, not even in a joking manner. Those rules, even though I strongly disagree with them for the most part, were something I was willing to abide by in order to be a part of this community.

The dilemma I now seem to face, is that these rules seem to be a tad more encompassing than I had originally thought, and also seem to expand and contract based solely on the whims of those who enforce them. I don't want any of you think I am being vague here, so I'll just point out one example - There is a post in the NSFW forum, in the boobies thread, showing a woman with her mouth open and he hands held out. I guess she is making a heart with her hands but that's not what I nor most people would see when looking at that image. It appears as though the model in question is fellating the invisible man. Someone apparently mentioned this obvious take on the photo and was quickly reprimanded. This was in a thread with numerous pictures of naked women, most in fact, posted by the GM of this guild. So...what exactly am I supposed to take away from this ? That you can look at these naked women, but don't dare think of them in a sexual manner whilst doing so? You can think whatever you want about them, but don't you dare talk about it with anyone? In the grand scheme of things, this doesn't seem like a big deal, I get it. But now in the back of the person's mind, and anyone who bore witness, was the thought that "Oh shit, I better not mention anything like that again.". Personally, when you add that to already somewhat hazy list of things I can't say or do in this community, I'm left with two options -

1.) Keep to myself for the most part, and hope to never incur the wrath of the morality police.
or
2.) Censor myself and my true feelings whenever I communicate with others, and end up a self-loathing robot.

In the end, what I think about any of this really doesn't matter. I'm not an officer or GM, and I never want to be. I don't envision myself ever breaking these rules, but I do find myself becoming paranoid about saying anything because of them. I completely sympathize with the point of view put forth it the original post. And I concede that it's entirely up to you what this community stands for. I would just caution against coming off close-minded and preachy about this, or any other topic for that matter. Championing tolerance and understanding is one thing, but mandating your version of it, and surrounding yourself with like-minded sycophants is another thing entirely. Again, totally your prerogative - but systemically eliminating any dissenting views and immediately disregarding any opinions that run contrary to your own views is a recipe for continued ignorance and stunted personal growth.

TL;DR version : The tone of the piece combined with the fact that you are yourself, not homosexual, ends up seeming like a self-aggrandizing attempt to martyr yourself to a cause you are not a part of. I've heard gay people tell gay jokes. I've heard black people tell black jokes. I've seen an Indian child prank his mom by telling her he accidentally ate a whole BigMac. Words only have power if you give them power.

Whizzbang posts in Grey
tr1age posts in Red

I am terminally indifferent about most things people argue about on the internet. This holds true for people throwing around words and phrases that other people find offensive. I seldom get very angry whilst gaming, and I know I've never said any of these things discussed here with any amount of malice or ill-intent. Now, having said that, I have more than likely uttered "That's gay" referring to a shitty game-mechanic I didn't approve of, or something else along those lines. Numerous times have I exclaimed "He/She/I/You just got <READ THE ToS> by that thing/mob/feral druid/gravity". Although, not once were any of these comments said to someone in a derogatory or taunting manner.

This to me is the biggest problem. Saying it just to say it, is just reinforcement for those who would use it in a derogatory way. Because then it becomes Ok. I have close people to me that have had to live with r_pe and even mentioning that word will be enough to make them upset. So why even roll the dice?

Could I have used different phrases? Of course.

Should I have used different phrases? Perhaps.

We could argue about what those phrases actually mean, in those contexts, to various types of people all day long - and most likely never see eye to eye. I've seldom had, in my 34 years of socializing on or offline, to temper what I say, because it's always seemed I was one of the least offensive/confrontational people in those settings. Maybe that says more about the type of people I tend to hang out with than anything else. (Thick skinned / rowdy / foul-mouthed / amateur comedians for the most part)

I am not arguing the idea of what those words mean, I am arguing the idea of using them in general. It is like me going and meeting someones family for the first time and saying Yo What Up Bitches! I am arguing that as a a sect of society, an actual cultural influence on others, why do we use words we KNOW don't need to be used? Why do we talk in ways that we don't wish to be talked to? Not everyone spitting this shit is on a stage aspiring to be a comedian.

To me, those two things in particular have become part of the gaming lexicon - for good or for bad. 90% of the time I've heard people say them, it was OBVIOUS, to me anyway, that they meant no intentional slight against any particular person or group of people. They were just using them as exclamations that would readily get across the way they felt about something. Could they, or I for that matter, have used any of the other near infinite ways to articulate their feelings? Without a doubt they could have. But....should they HAVE to just to avoid potentially offending someone?

In my own opinion and the point of this article: Yes. Will I go call a German a Nazi because I feel like making a point? No. The same holds true for calling someone a fag because they beat you in a video game. FFS it is a video game and should be even MORE of a reason NOT to have to add an EXCLAMATION to the conversation that is intentionally hurtful, regardless of meaning.

The much more important issue here is censorship. When someone says I have offended them in some way, I apologize, find out what and why they found it offensive, and try my best not to repeat the incident. Why? Because I'm a decent human being, and I show people respect. When the average 14 year old CoD player is confronted by this, he mercilessly uses that information to insure maximum jimmy-russeling. Why? Because he is an ignorant immature asshat who respects no one.

The problem is there is a line being blurred here between the 14 year old asshat and the "adults". Both are doing it because it is ingrained as being OK in gaming culture.

I knew coming into this community that there were certain things we weren't allowed to say or discuss, not even in a joking manner. Those rules, even though I strongly disagree with them for the most part, were something I was willing to abide by in order to be a part of this community.

The dilemma I now seem to face, is that these rules seem to be a tad more encompassing than I had originally thought, and also seem to expand and contract based solely on the whims of those who enforce them. I don't want any of you think I am being vague here, so I'll just point out one example - There is a post in the NSFW forum, in the boobies thread, showing a woman with her mouth open and he hands held out. I guess she is making a heart with her hands but that's not what I nor most people would see when looking at that image. It appears as though the model in question is fellating the invisible man. Someone apparently mentioned this obvious take on the photo and was quickly reprimanded.

It isn't about making a comment it is how a comment is presented. In this case the comment was: "Is it wrong that I want to just stuff something in her mouth?" The Boobies thread has been there better or worse for people to post pictures of attractive women. PsionicFox is a long time member of this community, and he knows better. He also agreed with removing his comment. While yes, ha ha funny, we are already pushing it for the women on the site by having that thread, but to keep it civil we keep the dick in the pants when it comes to how the comments fly at the pictures. We balanced it out with a moobies thread for the women to use as well. No one was reprimanded.

This was in a thread with numerous pictures of naked women, most in fact, posted by the GM of this guild. So...what exactly am I supposed to take away from this ? (Well first the Boobies thread has nothing to do with me being the GM, Admin, Or any other title. But you could take away that I like Boobies or the female form? I am a high fashion photographer after all.)That you can look at these naked women, but don't dare think of them in a sexual manner whilst doing so?

If you cannot keep your comments PC while enjoying a boobie thread, then yes there will be issues. I think something people often miss when they come here is the idea that, sure we have some rules, we have some strange different approaches to things, but if they don't work for you, we are not asking you to act out of your comfort zone. We expect you to gauge your happiness being here just as much as we gauge you when you apply. We don't want to see you only having two options left(as you say below). And we are more than happy to talk to you to clear up an misconceptions you may have as well, so you don't have to make any harsh judgement based off loose information if we fucked it up somewhere along the line. We can be wrong too.

You can think whatever you want about them, but don't you dare talk about it with anyone? In the grand scheme of things, this doesn't seem like a big deal, I get it. But now in the back of the person's mind, and anyone who bore witness, was the thought that "Oh shit, I better not mention anything like that again.".

Personally, when you add that to already somewhat hazy list of things I can't say or do in this community,

Please clear this up. As we have a very clear list of what is OK and NOT OK on this site. Shit we even have a no holds bar place for people to speak their minds on ANY topic with our rants section. So please feel free to contact any moderator or myself or post here if you wish about what you are hazy on.

I'm left with two options -

1.) Keep to myself for the most part, and hope to never incur the wrath of the morality police.

I really am wondering here... is it so bad to ask that people respect one another and keep things PC? This is EXACTLY what this article is about. Because this is a Gaming Community, people think we can just toss caution to the wind and do whatever. This would be true if everyone was built out of the same mold and never no matter how much prodding EVER got upset. But the problem is, even the thickest skinned people will break eventually. "Troll mode" turns on quickly if not explained.This is not the purpose of AltTabMe, the purpose of this site is to have a place where people look forward to coming to, not worrying about who they will have to ignore, avoid, or cringe at someone's comments.

or
2.) Censor myself and my true feelings whenever I communicate with others, and end up a self-loathing robot.

Please tell me how we don't allow people to speak their mind as long as it is presented in a mature manner? Shit ask Keleynal about some of the topics he has put forward and how even being a minority opinion with most of the topics, he still has a voice, and never feels censored.

In the end, what I think about any of this really doesn't matter. I'm not an officer or GM, and I never want to be.

I just need to clear this up: AltTabMe is the community, TAB is the guild. There are moderators for the site. Then there are officers for the guild. Two different beasts in terms of responsibilities. You may see more action from the Officers right now because of all the Wildstar Hype and excitement. But we have other mods like Jia and ThatOneGuy that have input into what goes on as well.

I don't envision myself ever breaking these rules, but I do find myself becoming paranoid about saying anything because of them. I completely sympathize with the point of view put forth it the original post. And I concede that it's entirely up to you what this community stands for.

It is not just up to me, it is up to whole of us Mods. We have time and time again told you all that we will not be treating this community or our leadership like the normal Hierarchy. But obviously we are seen more and have more responsibilities: http://alttabme.com/forum/index.php?threads/who-are-your-community-leaders.3477/

I would just caution against coming off close-minded and preachy about this, or any other topic for that matter.

This site is a place where we can all debate and talk about things we are passionate about. To assume I am preaching or not even the smallest bit movable in my ideas is just as closed-minded to me as me saying it to you. I am very passionate about what I say/do on this site. Of course. I write articles that are not always going to be flowers and roses. I will push boundaries and have strong opinions. To think I am unapproachable before approaching me is beyond me, if anything I encouraged everyone to join in on topics like these.

Championing tolerance and understanding is one thing, but mandating your version of it, and surrounding yourself with like-minded sycophants is another thing entirely.

If I was seeking the attention and admiration of everyone around me, I would not have a team of Mods who all have different views so we can all contribute to fair mediums, and I would not open myself up to conversations or debates like the rants I have posted, the articles I have written, or the diverse nature of the people who are currently members of this community. I don't think anyone on this site kisses my ass actually. I think it is quite the opposite ;) But at the end of the day I would hope they would be less scared of "my wrath" and more willing to talk to me if they had issues. Never have I banned or kicked ANYONE without weeks of discussion before hand, multiple points of view from mods and officers, chats with the person themselves. People often think I will sacrifice a lot of things to grow this site, when in turn I have worked very hard with the Mods and Officers to make sure this site grows on its own and with a very self moderated process to stop us from over expanding and keeping us close knit and understanding of one another(as that takes time to understand everyone's way of talking inflections, etc especially through text) rather than a sea of names.

Again, totally your prerogative - but systemically eliminating any dissenting views and immediately disregarding any opinions that run contrary to your own views is a recipe for continued ignorance and stunted personal growth.

This is getting a bit personal here with "Stunted Personal Growth"... come on now? Really? If I was eliminating any dissenting views, do you think I would allow rants on Christianity and the opposite view of Homosexuals after a post like this?

TL;DR version : The tone of the piece combined with the fact that you are yourself, not homosexual, ends up seeming like a self-aggrandizing attempt to martyr yourself to a cause you are not a part of.

The problem here is that you are completely wrong is your assumption that I am not a part of this because I am not a homosexual. I am a gamer. And this is my culture as well as it is a homosexual gamers, as well as it is a black gamers, as is an Indian gamers. A homosexual is not the only person who can stick up for a homosexual. A human can stick up for any other human they wish to.

I've heard gay people tell gay jokes. I've heard black people tell black jokes. I've seen an Indian child prank his mom by telling her he accidentally ate a whole BigMac. Words only have power if you give them power.

If words had no power, then anything I had said prior, would not have invoked this post nor these opinions:

This is a really interesting discussion to me because I see as several different layers of moral codes clashing.

We've got personal feelings of morality, the community standards of morality, and the public at large, or cultural morality.

Every person here has different feelings about certain words and how they are used, and every single one of us is right when talking about what our personal beliefs are. So that brings us to communities, where like minded people get together. In the gaming community, a very
lax moral code seems to have been adopted and all kinds of stupid stuff is said. Those who have no conflict there with their personal codes either join in, or it doesn't bother them. Those that it does bother get irritated and separate themselves into their own communities. Like this one.

The leadership here has made it very clear about the standards they have for this group. If that jives with your personal code, you'll find a great home here. If not, you'll either have to force yourself to live with it or find another home. To say that Tr1age and the other leaders do not have the right to say what is and is not acceptable is completely untrue. On this website, they have every right. It's their house. Don't cite freedom of speech. This isn't the government; it's private property. Property owners can set the terms of use however they want including restricting speech.

The culture as a whole discourages the use of words that have been discussed here, especially if you want to have any kind of professional career. You can insist that those words don't insult you and shouldn't insult anyone else until you are blue in the face, but that won't stop you from being passed over for promotion, fired, or even sued in court. I've been learning a lot abut this in my company's management training program. What I think about what a word means doesn't matter; it only matters what the person hearing it feels about it.

I think that should extend everywhere. Not just to avoid getting sued or missing opportunities, but because I think we should genuinely care about each other. If everyone put other's feelings first, we'd avoid a lot of problems. Maybe even all of them.

The best action is to live life like you are an example. There is nothing wrong with letting others know how you feel about a situation as long as you can understand that they may not feel the same way about it as you.

my 2c

Nailed it. Live like you are an example is a nice way to put it. Never thought of those exact words.

Also I love hearing opposing opinions to things because you often get gems that help to mold your own ideas. The hard part is pulling someone out of a comfort zone or feeling of "confrontation" to discuss their feelings. I know I go after an idea, nail it down, flesh it out, then present it with the conviction needed but am always open to adding or subtracting from it without feeling at all like I failed at what I came out to do. If anything I feel stronger to then present it with more conviction. The best thing about talking is that is doesn't end when you write the last word, but it does end when the other person is no longer willing to listen. This is why I learned the SHIT outta calling people back in the 90's.. fucking texting ruined it all. Forever lost in txtlation. But seriously, text sized/twitter character limit/news bites are bullshit, a conversation is exactly that, a CONVERSATION, and needs a back and forth. Otherwise it is just preaching. I think what I have found though in my journey in life is that many people are afraid to jump the fence because they feel once they hit the ground they can't climb back up to get to the other side if they made the wrong jump. Look at people stuck in jobs they hate, afraid to let go of comfort, as one example. I believe in educated giant leaps of faith :) But it also means I am often confronted with people who think I am dead set in my ways, but really all I want is a conversation. Sorry total tangent.

"If People do not believe mathematics is simple, it is only because they do not realize how complicated life is" - John Von Neumann

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------FIRST OBSERVATIONS---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The quote I've used I think 'sets' an appropriate motif and is useful for clarifying what will be the underlying crux of my observations and opinion(s), which will be largely muted in length due to personal limitations.

First, I'd like to say thank you TR1AGE for taking the time to write, soft-analyze, and explore the preponderance of this social aspect of our human condition, as it appears, in the 'typical' life of an active gaming enthusiast. Despite some technical grievance I have with your initial approach, I enjoyed the later half as you openly questioned the mechanics, virility and heritage of common social-gaming vernacular.

This issue and its subsequent dissent or support are enriched by a universe of interdisciplinary ideals and concepts - so, I think it is within reason to say that everything discussed in the original thread and in the replies are compounded extraordinarily and infinitesimally complex. It isn't often that I have to really think and decide to post, and though I have decided to respond due to the splendid merits presented here, I would recuse myself and every word I write and relegate my thoughts on the matter to an etymologist and professional of social and linguistic pathology. There is simply no way I can fully illuminate how complex it is with the limits that I have.

There is an incredible logic and rule about the methodology to regulate and expose ideals, to elaborate those ideals and a relationship and intermingling of those two - that is that each are responsive to the other - the process of how we 'enlighten' a topic to others and how we talk about them. Perhaps what I've said to this point is just very obvious and in itself doesn't do much to talk about the content of the original post and why I hesitated with a response, but for the moment, I only want to mention the architecture of how we - the gaming community, this topic, etc - get from point A to point B. However, further demonstrating my opinion, is that by having a conversation of the process we can more deeply empathize the topic and perceive the dynamic of these two codependent social constructs. Unfortunately I am far too ADHD and constrained to discuss this at a just length and so I'll jump to a very abridged description of refining social norms of existential context.

In a social-behavioral system - such as an online forum like this or in civilized societies - for progress to be made (individually and collectively), the entropy of independent behavior and engrossed popular behavior and thought must be subjected to some kind of norm (the norm relative only to necessity), crafted by reasonable dissent. It has been said that words don't have power unless we give them power - given an evolutionary litany such as the social endeavor of human being, it's to a point evident that words always have power when 'enlightened' or exposed, whether or not individuals have a say in it. What I mean by that is that it is an unconsciousness that responds to words, and that the context of that response - however hidden or subtle it may be - has been shaped (and is always undergoing alteration) by a social peer environment. Over time response measures become increasingly 'restricted' (even though the restriction may be broad) over a median time, given some variation. While malleable, it is immutable.

Since our social environment is becoming multicultural and global and information is still subject to moore's law, this process of refining, restricting and elaborating increases significantly, as does resistance to do so. When we - our society - can identify individually and en mass the fine nature and utility of some words, or more exactly in some cases their use in context and phrasing, it then provokes that society (us) to deem them retrograde or beneficial.

At that point, speech (phrasing, behavior and context) becomes a moral quandary to all persons.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------OPINION ON PROFESSIONALISM---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And so, to the original topic: the subset of people called 'gamers' are beings constructed by laws and themes of the larger, external pressures of a global society. As the populous has more information at its disposal to refine words and phrases, so to have we (society) formed conclusions. As long as the 'gaming' subculture resists the accepted norm (here, the negative connotation of particular words and phrases), we as 'gamers' or 'pro gamers' will never be fully accepted as 'equal' or legitimate - by which I mean, accepted as anything more than a bunch of ego maniacal, ill-informed free-radicals of an otherwise homogeneous, homeostatic and harmonious system.

How then, is it not at least warranted by some - those that are informed - that it is 'good' that we have constructed rules for our subgroup based on larger social norms *if* it allows for the capacity of reasonable dissent? Here there is room for disagreement if it is presented in a way (again, the methodology intertwines with the content) that conforms to rules relative to society's standards.

Stretching farther to the vestiges of purely personal opinion, our 'esports' must stop pandering and capitalizing off the uninformed and immature. Institutions like MLG and twitch are currently doing a disservice to the gaming community - they instead should be more disciplined and learn from other gaming authorities and institutions like the DCI for Magic the Gathering and the OGN/KESPA organizations on how to properly present themselves and the gaming community. While not perfect, they are much more professional in their aestheticism and display and are aligned more to global norms (despite legitimacy issues from smaller DCI regulated businesses). In the case of the Korean groups, time has helped shaped their aesthetic - I think in time and with proper education we can become better, too.

Very, very slowly the LCS and Riot are becoming more acclimated to gaming professionalism. They should avoid discussing the caricatured 'drama' presented by initial teams and consider hiring and training actual analysts instead of community personalities - or better yet, clone Jatt - a good mix of both worlds.

Wow... ^ That was awesome. Mostly because of the way my brain had to seriously concentrate to follow the words, but because when it did, they made sense.

And I love that that giant diatribe managed to cover so much of what was a topic, yet leave so much room for everything else at the same time.

Great discussion in this thread. First off I have to say Whizzbang or ANYONE who has any misconceptions or questions about the site should feel free to message myself or one of the Officers/Mods. Now on to my response. I just want to say I agree with Tristan's point of view.

That being said, I am saddened that so many of you are accepting of the current culture of our past-time. I started playing PC gaming before we went off this cliff into pit of hostile immaturity and ignorance. Look, I am a corrections officer and I am the first person to tell you to shut the fuck up and deal with it. The stuff the inmates spew at officers or each other sometimes makes online gaming look like a forest filled with unicorns pooping rainbows and happiness. While I generally don't let stuff get to me, especially online, thats not the point. The gamer is literally seen as that ignorant, hate spewing 12 year old call of duty player. I always reminisce about the old days of PC gaming with Corvus Rex when playing the ORIGINAL Call of Duty(talking WWII setting, only on PC) was a fun filled environment. Hell competing in the FPS ladders was fun. It wasn't the mainstream sport it is now, people were genuinely courteous and had a great time.

Back then and even nowadays some people including the PC gamers themselves considered that PC gaming to be the elite tier of video gaming. I have to agree, but not for the reason given that PC gaming is better than console gaming(it totally is though). It was for the fact that the new consoles were just coming into the market and the crazy downfall into stupidity for gamers had really begun. PC gamers generally remained more mature and somewhat civil when interacting with others. I'm not saying everyone was a peach but there were more places such as this site as opposed to having to really go on a quest to find a good community nowadays.

My point is, sure we can sit here and let everything roll off our shoulders, but where does that leave gaming and how others see it. I have to care at least a little bit about the state of my primary pastime and how the general population involved is completely cool with using words they don't even understand or in improper context. I have done it myself a lot in the past, but there is really no need for it. I am the first one to let it roll off my shoulders, but honestly what if someone was having a bad day? I come to these forums and online gaming to relax from my job as a CO. I don't need to spend 8-16 hours a day listening to savages in jail be completely vulgar about everything and anything and then come home to some 12 year old who couldn't beat me so he resorted to spewing filth out of his mouth.

While we are on the subject of simple words, how about how female gamers are treated? This fits into the same vein. Granted, there are some girls out there that invite vulgar behavior from the internet on purpose, but I can't tell you how many female gamers I have run into that refuse to get on voice chat or play a female character when applicable due to unrestrained harrassment. The anonymity of the internet tends to lend to the braveness of assholes in spreading their hate around. AltTabMe looks to be a haven from that onslaught, but we as gamers should look to change what we can about our culture.

I find myself having to hold back on what I say, out of respect. Whether it be my limitless supply of NSFW, racist or jokes that maybe offensive. I also am one who has used the gay or retard term loosely but I don't mean to offend. I'm trying to remember to not say those things, as I understand why. So I see both sides, some don't want to be censored. I don't have anything deep to add, just thought I'd put it out there that I may make a mistake down the road but I have been trying to be aware of what I say.

Top Bottom